Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Good freeware Windows FTP client?

Good freeware Windows FTP client?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 11:36 AM

I need suggestions. I'm constantly beset by clients who need to ftp me files, but have no idea how to do so. I'm tired of telling 3 or 4 people a week that I don't know of a good client for Windows, so I'm turning to you, people of the lounge. I'd like to be able to suggest a program to people who don't have one. It'll make me seem all knowledgeable and stuff.

Thanks!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DarwinX
Jun 2, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I need suggestions. I'm constantly beset by clients who need to ftp me files, but have no idea how to do so. I'm tired of telling 3 or 4 people a week that I don't know of a good client for Windows, so I'm turning to you, people of the lounge. I'd like to be able to suggest a program to people who don't have one. It'll make me seem all knowledgeable and stuff.

Thanks!
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

I enjoy it greatly. I even wish there was a Mac version.

Hope that helps.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DarwinX

Hope that helps.
I'm somewhat surprised by the Windows world's idea of a simple, easy-to-use interface, but so long as it works. Thanks!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 12:14 PM

FTP is built right into Windows Explorer on XP. It can UPLOAD and download, unlike the Finder on OS X.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman
FTP is built right into Windows Explorer on XP. It can UPLOAD and download, unlike the Finder on OS X.
This is apparently not common knowledge amongst people who just bought a Gateway so they could make pictures on t-shirts. Lotsa corporate folks out there with NT & 2000 still, too. Plus, I think people get confused by the fact that their browser is called Explorer and their file system navigator is called Explorer. People try to ftp me stuff with browsers, and they won't authenticate, so I need to be able to reccommend a way that will work, instead of sounding like a dumbass when I tell the truth, which is "I don't know anything about Windows."

DarwinX
Jun 2, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I'm somewhat surprised by the Windows world's idea of a simple, easy-to-use interface, but so long as it works. Thanks!
It allows for drag-n-drop which is the feature I like most. After an initial spin through the program, you or your clients should get the hang of it fairly quickly. I personally feel it's more user friendly than others such as WS-FTP, CuteFTP and the like. Those are other ones though if you are interested.

Best of luck.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 01:43 PM

CuteFTP Pro is the best FTP client I know of for Windows. Not free, though, unless you find a serial (which is relatively easy to do).

RGB
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 04:09 PM

Hope that helps.
Amen. Great client. I always use it when stuck uploading from a PC.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 04:20 PM

get a copy of the previous version of WS_FTP. it is the best. you will have to google for it. don't download/use the new one: crappy/bloated and not free.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 07:57 PM

I used SmartFTP when I was a Windows user.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 07:59 PM

Hope that helps.

It's what I use while working on my Windows machine. It's really no different than something like Fetch on Mac OS.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2005, 06:09 PM

I just use the built-in FTP capability when I have to use Windows...it works well enough.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

meelk
Baninated
Jun 3, 2005, 06:55 PM

Filezilla, bar none.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I used SmartFTP when I was a Windows user.
I use this daily at work. Good UI, easy to set up shortcuts, good with both creating queues and doing direct upload/downloads.
I tried a bunch of Windows FTP apps before I settled on SmartFTP, most seam to ether lack one feature or another, or have enormous UI flaws. (Cute was probably one of the worst I tried)

But I still wish Panic would do a Windows port of Transmit.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 08:19 PM

Hope that helps.
ditto. I'm switching the entire company from CuteFTP to Filezilla. The users have had no trouble with the transition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules