Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes library hosed?

iTunes library hosed?
wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2004, 07:37 AM

i'm having a problem with my iTunes library, and i was hoping someone could help. i have all of my songs in their default location (~/music/itunes/itunes music/) but, when iTunes loads up, all of my songs have a ! to them - denoting the song is no longer where it's supposed to be. upon clicking on each song, it says it's no longer in the library, and it asks me if i'd like to find it. i can easily find the song by browsing my library and re-assigning each song to it's location.

however, i have around 6,000 mp3s. i don't want to re-assign all of them, and i don't want to lose the playcounts/ratings/playlists/etc. is there any way to get iTunes to "re-assign" the location of my songs? (note - i have the following settings set: default iTunes folder location, "keep iTunes music folder organized", and "Copy files to iTunes library when adding to library")

any ideas?

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2004, 12:59 AM

how about this -

is there a way to find out WHERE the broken link is pointing to? that way, i could tell iTunes to point to the new location, move my mp3s there, then work with that.

if i can just find out where iTunes THINKS my mp3s are, then i can get everything fixed up. is there an applescript for this?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 01:07 AM

If all of your MP3s are in one folder, then just select all the songs in iTunes, and hit delete. If it asks you whether you want to move them to the Trash, click No.

Then, drag the folder with the MP3s in it into the iTunes window, and it will import them. Make sure you do NOT have it set to copy songs before you do this.

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2004, 01:09 AM

i don't want to lose my ratings and play count, though.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
i don't want to lose my ratings and play count, though.
Those are stored within the MP3 files, I believe, so they *should* be preserved.

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2004, 01:14 AM

no, they're part of the iTunes library file.

playlists, ratings, and play counts are all part of this file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules