Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Upgrading from Macromedia Studio MX 2004 edu version

Upgrading from Macromedia Studio MX 2004 edu version
wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 06:24 PM

I'm looking to buy Studio 8, and I have an edu version of studio mx 2004 from about a year and a half ago. Will the Studio 8 upgrade accept the serial # from an edu version or am I going to have to buy the full Studio 8?

I poked around on the Macromedia site and didn't see any info on it.

mduser63
Jan 8, 2006, 06:54 PM

You can't upgrade the educational versions, you have to pay full price for the new version. Of course, if you're still a student, you can still get the new version for the EDU price. To be honest, unless there's a specific feature that you need, the upgrade to version 8 is probably not necessary. I had MX, and used MX 2004 extensively, and now have Studio 8, and nothing that's been added has been particularly important to me. I guess the better CSS support in Dreamweaver is nice, but that's about it.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 07:12 PM

As a fairly new flash developer, I want to keep up with the software - plus some of the design tools built in flash 8 are pretty compelling. the whole suite feels a lot nicer this year. I'm not sure if I'll just buy Flash 8 or get the whole suite. I generally hand-code my xhtml/css and whatnot so i dont really need dreamweaver - but if i could get the whole Studio 8 for the upgrade price, I was going to go for it. Now I think I'll just buy Flash 8.

Thanks for the quick reply!
( Last edited by wtmcgee; Jan 8, 2006 at 08:53 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules