Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > For those of you who use only a MBP...

For those of you who use only a MBP...
BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2008, 11:46 PM

...how do you like using only a laptop?

I'm probably going to be getting a new computer soon, and I've been having a hard time deciding between an iMac and a MBP. I love the idea of the portable power of the MBP, but in the past, I've felt limited by laptops. Desktops seem so much easier to work with (in my opinion). On the other hand, having a $2,000 investment stuck to a desk isn't too appealing.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 04:00 AM

I replaced a 24" LCD, a G5, a PC, and an iBook with a single MBP - haven't regretted it for a second!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2008, 04:12 AM

The MBP is my only computer. You can simulate a nice desktop setup with the addition of a monitor mouse and keyboard, or even just a mouse and keyboard.

I love it =D
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 04:57 AM

I wouldn't consider an iMac much more expandable than a MBP. It doesn't offer any more expansion ports (actually it offers less since it doesn't have an ExpressCard slot) and it's not really easier to disassemble and replace components either.

The iMac is an excellent computer no doubt. Compared to the MBP it offers better disk performance (and larger disks too) and it can be configured with a faster CPU. The MBP OTOH is portable.

If you want a big screen, desktop KB and mouse you can hook those up to a MBP just fine. I work with a MBP that way about twelve hours a day. I need a portable Mac though so the iMac wasn't ever really an option. The only reason I'd go for an iMac (if I didn't need portability) is cost. A 24" iMac with a faster CPU and larger/faster disk is still cheaper than a MBP with a large external screen.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 26, 2008 at 01:51 PM. )

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
...how do you like using only a laptop?

I'm probably going to be getting a new computer soon, and I've been having a hard time deciding between an iMac and a MBP. I love the idea of the portable power of the MBP, but in the past, I've felt limited by laptops. Desktops seem so much easier to work with (in my opinion). On the other hand, having a $2,000 investment stuck to a desk isn't too appealing.
I haven't had a desktop in years. I do attach my 15" PB (yeah, haven't had need to upgrade to MBP) to an external 19" Dell monitor, a Tactile Pro keyboard and Kensington Turbo Mouse. Easy to hook up and unhook the peripherals at any time for instant portability. Would NEVER go back to a desktop.

Fits my needs. YMMV.

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all this input!!

I would definitely want to hook up an external display, but that would have to wait because I definitely couldn't afford that for a while after buying a MBP. The new updates today make me want a MBP even more too!

And Kenstee, the fact that you still use a PowerBook is quite comforting to me. It's good to know that these can last so long.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2008, 10:34 AM

At work a MBP is my main machine and for home/home office use I am now also selling the iMac and will be changing to an MBP.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 10:48 AM

My MBP is my only machine at this point and I've been very pleased with it.

I would consider myself a medium photoshop user, a medium/heavy aperture user and light (hopefully) to medium development, heavy vmware fusion user (for work) and so far I've not been disappointed by the performance.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 10:59 AM

My wife is a graphic designer and a graphic design professor (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, light After Effects). A PowerBook or MBP has been her only machine for 6 years.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 11:31 AM

I had a 12in Powerbook before and now have a 2.4 MBP. I love it. I do have a 17in LCD hooked up to it almost all the time, as well as a cheap keyboard and mouse. The times I don't are when its with me at work or travel.

I can't say I've ever had an issue with a portable. In fact I would figure that portability is something thats worth the bit of extra money you pay. The only people who may have issues are gamers, but they complain about everything anyways so we should probably just ignore them as usual.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 08:10 PM

I've used nothing but TiBooks and my MacBook for many years and find them to be fantastic!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2008, 08:12 PM

All this input is really helping. A MBP sounds really good to me.

Now my big decision is between the 256 or 512 GPU. I plan on using this computer for a few years, but I don't know if it's worth $450.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 08:19 PM

I went from a pc to MacBook and I love it! Its great to have the portability, but plugged into a decent widescreen monitor and your laughing!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

tridentinecanon
Feb 27, 2008, 10:56 AM

In the future, all computers will be - or at least should be - laptops. (Exception: The Enterprise's computer.)

Go with the laptop. That's the biased opinion you get for asking this question in the LAPTOP forum!

tridentinecanon
Feb 27, 2008, 11:02 AM

Now my big decision is between the 256 or 512 GPU. I plan on using this computer for a few years, but I don't know if it's worth $450.
If you have the $, go with the 512. It will make your life easier, it will be better in the long-run and you'll get more $ back when it comes time to sell. You get more than just a faster graphics for your money when you go this route.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 11:40 AM

I did away with my PC and went with a MacBook. For me, it's more beneficial to be able to work in coffee shops and on campus in groups rather than having a faster, larger hard drive.

I have a 20" LCD and Apple Alu keyboard and mouse to come home to every night but I find that many times I just go straight to the couch or bed to browse.

The only regret I have is not saving a little more for the MBP, but eh...

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The iMac is an excellent computer no doubt. Compared to the MBP it offers better disk performance (and larger disks too) and it can be configured with a faster CPU. The MBP OTOH is portable.
The one thing I dislike most about my iMac is that it has a really low performance video card. The MBP has a slower processor, but it has twice the video capabilities. I love my iMac, but I wish I could have configured it with the same video offered on the MBP.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 02:09 PM

I agree with Full-Auto. If Apple doesn't come out with a 512M graphics card in an iMac soon, my children are going to have to go without Christmas. And I don't just mean presents !

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 07:52 PM

Haha, hopefully for your kids' sake, one will come out in the next few weeks.

Ok, so I'm off tomorrow, and I have my tax return. I'm on the verge of going to the Apple Store (1 1/2 hours away) and getting a MacBook Pro. I'm just so nervous to make the final decision! Achhh!

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 09:07 PM

My 17" hi-rez 2.4 MBP has for the most part replaced my two home PCs for most tasks. I just prefer to use it.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Feb 27, 2008, 09:24 PM

but in the past, I've felt limited by laptops. Desktops seem so much easier to work with (in my opinion).
What you do you exactly mean by those two statements? What you consider more valuable to you will really make the decision for you. My first Mac was a PowerBook laptop which I used exclusively for more than 2 years before getting my PowerMac desktop. The reason why I got a desktop next was that for roughly the same price I could get more for my money.

It really depends on what you need your Mac for. If you need the absolute best performance you can get then you will need to get a desktop (Mac Pro). Not too many people actually upgrade and work on their computer now a days so the easier customizing and upgrading hardware argument isn't really a benefit for many people now. I also consider an iMac more of a non-portable laptop than a "traditional desktop". To get the smaller sleek design the iMac had to make some compromises that a large desktop doesn't have to.

Anyway I suspect that you will be happy with a MBP since you are comparing it with an iMac and not a Mac Pro. I'm going to go with a MBP as my only computer also when my PowerMac gets too slow for my needs. The portability is definitely a valuable feature.

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2008, 02:08 AM

I have an original intel iMac now. I was originally going to get one of the first revision MacBook Pros, but opted for the iMac because I didn't need portability as much at the time and it saved some money.

What I meant by feeling "limited" by laptops was the physical act of using them. Then again, aside from screen size, if I got a keyboard and mouse with a MacBook, it wouldn't really be much different than a "regular" desktop.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
If Apple doesn't come out with a 512M graphics card in an iMac soon, my children are going to have to go without Christmas. And I don't just mean presents !
Believe me, the iMac's graphics problem is not the missing 512 MB VRAM option. It's mainly the HD 2600 PRO and/or its drivers. If my MBP's older 256MB 8600M GT knocks the socks off a newer iMac with 256MB VRAM in several benchmarks something's seriously wrong.

Swapping the iMac's GPU to let's say an 8800 would do far more for the average gamer than adding extra VRAM to the 2600. Be that as it may, it's highly unlikely Apple will use Nvidia GPUs on all iMacs and all MBPs at the same time anyway.

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2008, 06:20 PM

Ok, so today was an interesting day.

I was planning to go to the Apple store and get a MacBook Pro. But after playing around with the display unit for a while, I found a few things I didn't like. Nothing big, but for the price, I want to be totally in love with the product. I didn't like the keyboard (I prefer the MacBook/Air style keyboard), the latch (seems like it would break easily), and I felt uncomfortable buying now because I'm sure the MBP's will see a big overhaul later this year.

This was good though, because it kept me from making a purchase I regretted...or so I thought. I fell in love with a 23" Cinema Display. And considering how much less it cost than the computer I was originally planning to buy, I went for it. My dream setup would be a powerful notebook with an external display (best of both desktop and notebook worlds), so I figured the display was a smart choice. Long story short, I ended up returning the display! There was nothing wrong with it. Not a single dead or stuck pixel. I just couldn't help but think it was way overpriced and there are a lot of better uses for nearly $1,000. I don't think the 23" display should cost more than $600.

The point is that in the end, I learned how satisfied I still am with my current setup despite the fact it's not perfect. Plus I get to save a considerable amount of money...for now.

Thanks for all you input everyone! It really did help me figure out that I do want a MacBook Pro, but just not right now.

Oh, and I did end up with a wireless Mighty Mouse that is pretty awesome.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 07:55 PM

That's messed up.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2008, 09:49 PM

I haven't used a desktop machine for years. My MBP is a great machine, especially now that I've put a 300GB hard drive in it.

The Apple Cinema Displays are not competitively priced. If you want to add an external 23/24" monitor, get a Dell - those are quite good monitors and at half the price of the Apple-branded displays.

I do not believe there will be a major overhaul in MBP form factors this year. I believe the next major device for Apple to launch is the Mac Touch - a tablet-style device (think big iPod Touch). I LIKE the current form factor. Everything seems to work - hinges, screen, keyboard, etc. I wish they'd just make the hard drive user-serviceable, as that's an upgrade I've done to every Apple laptop I've ever owned (since the venerable G3 Lombard).

gudrummer
Feb 29, 2008, 01:53 AM

i've been only using laptops for 2 years now,coming from a PB g4 1.67,now with my MBP 2.4 17".Love the machine to death,use it everyday for my FCP work.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
That's messed up.
Haha, yeah. I suck.

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
The Apple Cinema Displays are not competitively priced. If you want to add an external 23/24" monitor, get a Dell - those are quite good monitors and at half the price of the Apple-branded displays.
Wow, those Dell's are definitely competitively priced. 24" for under $400?! I a much more comfortable with that (although I must admit the Apple display was a thing of pure beauty).

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 05:10 AM

There's a reason why apple's displays are more expensive. Apple uses S-IPS panels and dell I've heard its a mixed bag and if you get lucky you can get the S-IPS. Not only is the lcd superior on the apple cinema displays, the backlighting is much better and the circuitry in the apple's lcd's as well.

I've used the 24" dell and it did look great but if you ever used a real good monitor like the nec's or the apple's 23", there's a huge difference in quality. I love the 23" and I think the 20" doesnt seem as bright as the 23" and 30" and 23" is the sweet spot.
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs View Post
I replaced a 24" LCD, a G5, a PC, and an iBook with a single MBP - haven't regretted it for a second!
My whole reason for getting an MBP was so that I could have only a single machine.

I've replaced (mostly) my G5, a Dell laptop (for work), and two PCs with my new MBP and VMware. I'm happy as a pig in mud. When chained to a desk (home) I use an external monitor and keyboard. When I'm on the road I just use it as a laptop.

My only pause is I really needed more disk-space for my iMovie projects and for iTunes. (My music / TV show collection was 60GB.) So, I resolved that to some extent by putting my least frequently used items on a Western Digital USB hard disk (250GB). The MoveTunes application was very helpful in offloading some of the iTunes stuff. All of my virtual machines also run off of the external drive.

So ... go for it.

IMPORTANT: When you have one machine, you NEED a regular backup. Whenever I go home I have a dedicated drive for TimeMachine. I let it do it's thing. I'm under the assumption that if anything ever happened to my machine that my Time Machine backup would be able to restore to a new piece of hardware. (This is now my only copy of 6+ years of family photos.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

dandbj
Feb 29, 2008, 01:41 PM

Laptop computers are ergonomic nightmares. There is no getting around it. Put it on your desk or lap and use the keyboard. You will very quickly get neck strain. Put it on a stand at eye level and your arms will soon cry out for relief. The only way to use one long-term is to purchase extra equipment. A large external monitor, keyboard, and mouse are minimum accessories when going exclusive. Once you have encumbered yourself with all that stuff, portability goes somewhat out of the window. The act of connecting and disconnecting everything every time you want to take it for a walk is rather annoying. Then you have to hook it all back up when you get back. Don't get me wrong, one of my best computing experiences was when I had a MBP as my exclusive system. It was a great computer. But it only really shined when used as a portable, which was rare. In the end, I sold it and bought an iMac and never looked back. I vowed that the next time I bought a MBP, it would be as a second computer, a portable companion to my desktop, the shuttle craft to my galaxy class star ship.

One more note, I do not believe in "desktop replacement". It is either a desktop or it's not. desktop replacement is a marketing term. People got all excited when mobile tech brought notebooks to power parody with desktops. Parody has still not been reached. But it is close enough for most people. Power has nothing to do with whether you need a desktop or a laptop. It is all about form and function. What type of workspace do you need to be productive? Are you a mobile professional? Obviously you need a laptop for that application. Do you also work on a computer in a fixed environment for extended periods of time? If so, you also need a desktop. You cannot turn a desktop into a portable, nor can you turn a portable into a desktop without making a Frankenstein's monster out of them both. Your computing experience will only be optimal when you are use the computer for the purpose it was created. Consider buying an iMac, which I guess you already have, and a Macbook for mobility and enjoy the best of both worlds. Leave the Macbook in the bag until you need it to travel.

I seem to be the only voice counseling against using a notebook as your sole computer. Can you get away with it? Sure, for a while. Is the MBP a great computer? Among the best ever made. Still, when you need a desktop, you absolutely need a desktop. And when you need a portable, you absolutely need a portable. The two are not the same, and never will be.

One more thing, don't wait for the redesign which might not come until the next Macworld. The current crop of books are awesome. Enjoy what is available for a year and sell it on ebay. New books just came out this week, there is no upside to playing the waiting game. Dive in. Have fun. Good luck.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 01:53 PM

I use the MacBook detailed in my signature with the stand in the following picture:

This setup reminds me of a small iMac and I don't need a large screen at home. Here's the link for the stand:

Amazon.com: Mstand Laptop Stand By Rain Design: Electronics

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dandbj View Post
What type of workspace do you need to be productive? Are you a mobile professional? Obviously you need a laptop for that application. Do you also work on a computer in a fixed environment for extended periods of time? If so, you also need a desktop.
It's entirely possible to use a laptop in a fixed environment for an extended period of time. They don't, like, get up and walk around if you don't move them for a certain period of time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 04:39 PM

One more note, I do not believe in "desktop replacement". It is either a desktop or it's not. desktop replacement is a marketing term.
Nonsense. I have a MacBook Pro and it site on my desk as a desktop replacement for the majority of time. When I need to travel, it's there with me. Take a look at the specs of the MB and the iMac. There's little difference between the two.

Do you also work on a computer in a fixed environment for extended periods of time? If so, you also need a desktop.
Who says? I've worked for companies that only use laptop even to those who don't travel. Guess what they work the same way.

You cannot turn a desktop into a portable, nor can you turn a portable into a desktop
you mean like turning it on and using it on your desktop.

Come on dude, unless you need a powerhouse computer like the MacPro the MBP works just as well as an iMac and even better then a mini. Its ridiculous to think that the computer is in a portable form factor so you cannot use it as a "desktop replacement" Many people including me use a laptop as their sole computer and it more then fits the bill without be coming a frankenstein monster as you put it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 08:13 PM

I have a MacBook Air as my desktop replacement at work. It works well.

Wow, those Dell's are definitely competitively priced. 24" for under $400?! I a much more comfortable with that (although I must admit the Apple display was a thing of pure beauty).
Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
There's a reason why apple's displays are more expensive. Apple uses S-IPS panels and dell I've heard its a mixed bag and if you get lucky you can get the S-IPS. Not only is the lcd superior on the apple cinema displays, the backlighting is much better and the circuitry in the apple's lcd's as well.
Dell and Apple have, and I believe continue to, use a mix of panel types.
Apple uses S-IPS and S-PVA panels, which are both good panel types with small tradeoffs between them.
Dell uses S-PVA panels in their good LCDs (nn0nWFP) and cheaper/crappier TN panels in their cheap line (EnnnWFP).

Unfortunately Dell just refreshed their good line (2408WFP) so the price is back up to $699, but coupons should bring it back to the $550-600 range.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 08:57 PM

Laptop computers are ergonomic nightmares. There is no getting around it. ....
Pretty harsh.... I disagree totally.

tridentinecanon
Feb 29, 2008, 11:09 PM

Laptop computers are ergonomic nightmares.
Hmm. For some reason I always seem to be offended by the "ergonomics" of a tower computer. Not so with my laptop.

Perhaps ergonomics is is one of those things that is in the eye of the beholder. I'm almost 6'4", 240 lbs., and my "tiny" 17" MBP work's great for me!

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

Dell and Apple have, and I believe continue to, use a mix of panel types.
Apple uses S-IPS and S-PVA panels, which are both good panel types with small tradeoffs between them.
Dell uses S-PVA panels in their good LCDs (nn0nWFP) and cheaper/crappier TN panels in their cheap line (EnnnWFP).

Unfortunately Dell just refreshed their good line (2408WFP) so the price is back up to $699, but coupons should bring it back to the $550-600 range.
I've never heard that Apple's lcd panels used S-PVA and always was known to use only S-IPS. There's a huge thread about dell's using the S-PVA and I've never seen a thread about apple's cinema displays using S-PVA. Also there's a thread of people with Dell S-IPS that are selling certain serial numbered panels just to make sure they get the S-IPS panels.

Not to mention the backlight and components used by Apple is much superior.

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 11:56 PM

I wouldnt call the macbook air a desktop replacement. More of something I just brought along to work.

MortonH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 11:57 PM

People got all excited when mobile tech brought notebooks to power parody with desktops. Parody has still not been reached.

I hope you mean parity and not parody!!!

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2008, 12:00 AM

My MBP sits on my desk most of the time, but it's awesome to be able to take it with me whenever I need to. I've been really happy with it, it's a very fast machine, it handles all my video editing work and it runs games really well in windows under bootcamp. I'd like a mac pro, but I will probably end up buying another MBP in the future instead, the portability is just too convenient, and I can only afford to have one computer at a time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 03:34 AM

People got all excited when mobile tech brought notebooks to power parody with desktops. Parody has still not been reached.
That line reached a high level of "parody" though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
I've never heard that Apple's lcd panels used S-PVA and always was known to use only S-IPS. There's a huge thread about dell's using the S-PVA and I've never seen a thread about apple's cinema displays using S-PVA. Also there's a thread of people with Dell S-IPS that are selling certain serial numbered panels just to make sure they get the S-IPS panels.

Not to mention the backlight and components used by Apple is much superior.
You're right, I thought the LG LM201W01 was S-PVA, but it's S-IPS.

When and where they go head to head, Dell has the better backlights and more flexible inputs.

For all the non-LCD geeks in the thread, IPS better color reproduction and viewing angles while PVA has better response times and contrast ratio.

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 11:12 PM

You're right, I thought the LG LM201W01 was S-PVA, but it's S-IPS.

When and where they go head to head, Dell has the better backlights and more flexible inputs.

For all the non-LCD geeks in the thread, IPS better color reproduction and viewing angles while PVA has better response times and contrast ratio.
I know dells have more inputs but as far as backlighting and circuitry goes I hear apple's is superior but dell's are known to be brighter at full setting.

Also I'm not comparing 20" ACD to the Dell's as I used to own the 20" ACD (now sold) and the 23" is far superior and brighter as well. I remember the full brightness of the 20" ACD was 60% of the 23" ACD (same generation), I was shocked. I returned 3 dell 24" 2407WFP until I got the S-IPS and compared it to the 23" ACD for 1 week side by side and decided to keep the ACD which I thought was much better.

I noticed that the 20" and 23" ACD are in huge different quality.

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 12:52 AM

I don't know if this is the same or not, but I did notice a huge difference between my 20" iMac and the 23" ACD in the brief time that I had it. The ACD was much brighter and more crisp (and I've always thought my iMac's display was quite good). They must use the same panel in the 20" ACD as the iMac (at least the white ones).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 06:15 AM

I can confirm there's a huge difference between the 20" and 23" ACD. My 20" is quite a bit less bright and the colors look 'washed out' compared to the 23" ACD although both monitors are about the same age and both are very well calibrated.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 05:17 AM

i have used laptops as my main machine for years (always used with an external monitor and a bunch of external hard drives, when i was home), and i recently decided to go back to having a desktop as my main machine. the combination of faster disk i/o, faster video card, and dual 20" (as opposed to a 20" and a 15.4") and the fact that i am more likely to actually take my laptop with me to work and school now (it was kinda a pain to disconnect all the stuff, previously), has made it a very worthwhile purchase.

regarding the monitor thing, my iMac has a much sharper, richer screen than my Viewsonic (and i prefer my Viewsonic to the 20" ACDs at work), and it took about an hour of concerted calibration on the Viewsonic to adequately color match it to the iMac. brightness doesn't matter much to me, as i almost always use low brightness settings on modern LCDs as, otherwise, they are almost blinding. the 20" iMacs screen really benefits from calibration, as the default setting has a ridiculously high gamma and is washed out.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 10:07 AM

How do you go about calibrating a screen?

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 11:21 AM

with the screen calibration tool under "color" in the display properties in System Preferences. i actually downloaded a bunch of profiles that people made using hardware calibration tools and tweaked my favorite using the calibration tool until i liked it. it also helps that the Viewsonic has RGB adjustment, so i was able to get it pretty darn close, i think it's about as close as i'll get, given the different screens (i have the white, blue and green identical between the screens, but reds and greys are richer on the iMac: that isn't really fixable, but it's good enough for government work).
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2008, 03:18 PM

...how do you like using only a laptop? ...deciding between an iMac and a MBP. I love the idea of the portable power of the MBP, but in the past, I've felt limited by laptops. Desktops seem so much easier to work with (in my opinion). On the other hand, having a $2,000 investment stuck to a desk isn't too appealing.
The portability of MBPs is a huge benefit. iMacs have all the very substantial limitations of a laptop (single hard drive, limited RAM, limited throughput) and only one benefit: lower cost. IMO there is no difficulty making a MBP vs. iMac decision. If you can afford a MBP, buy it. Add a keyboard/mouse and a Dell 2408WFP for a rocking 2-display setup when you choose to be sessile. Desktop replacement of an iMac with a MBP is easy and superior in every way to an iMac.

However, full and equal desktop replacement of a Mac Pro tower is not possible. The throughput for heavy work (e.g. pro Photoshop or DSLR images management like Aperture) is far superior on heavy hardware, and not just the more-than-twice-as-fast benchmark performance. The 4 GB max RAM of laptops (and iMacs for that matter) is very limiting to heavy graphics workflows, and that 4 GB will be even more of a limitation over the life cycle of a new box. Disconnecting and reconnecting the multiple hard drives pro workflows use is a huge PITA when using a laptop as a desktop replacement because it must be done perfectly every time since one's data is at risk.

My G4 tower is half dead and dying, so I have been using my 17" MBP as a desktop replacement for about 6 months now. Even though the MBP is 10x more powerful than the G4 tower, the mobile/desktop workflow is very inefficient. For heavy work there is really no substitute for a strong tower setup.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 8, 2008 at 03:31 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules