Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Good grocery list app?

Good grocery list app?
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2008, 10:02 PM

In my hunt for a good one, I discovered there's lots to choose from!

Has anyone tried one they like or use one they recommend? I'd be willing to pay a fair price for a good app. Is there such a thing as one that syncs between more than 2 iPhones?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2008, 08:43 AM

I use ShoppingList and like it, but if someone else found one that would sync iPhone to iPhone, I'd pay $20 or more for it.

When my wife needs to do the shopping I just export the list to email and send it in an email (all text, can't be imported) to my wife's iPhone... I wish we could both add items and have them sync with one another.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
I wish we could both add items and have them sync with one another.
CorpITGuy,

Well, I found one on my own after trudging through all of them. Try iNeedStuff. It syncs. It is reasonably priced (I think). It has an annoying "feature" that has something to do with locations, and it took us a while to figure out how to remove items from a list once they were purchased, but overall it is a stable app with a developer that appears to be interested in improvements.

-Ted
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

okaythings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 03:27 AM

I wrote about a free app that I think excels at grocery lists, and any other kind of list you need. Plus it syncs to the Web, share by e-mail, or give people your password to sync the lists to any number of iPhones. It's called Zenbe Lists and it's actually free. Blog post on this app here: http://www.okaythings.com/2008/10/yo...ts-for-iphone/.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2008, 04:45 PM

Grocery IQ is definitely worth the money.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 04:11 AM

Bread and Milk is another. Earlier versions were too US-centric but it is now a fully fledged international app. Only £1.19. It doesn't synch and does have flaws, but you can now e-mail your list to whoever you want and it will estimate the total cost of the shopping basket as you add things to it (you can assign the actual or approximate price of the items, etc). It is also pro-actively developed and the developer takes into account the criticisms he receives with each release.

Personally, I would suggest you start with the free ones mentioned like Zenbe lists (I have it installed, but I hadn't used it because I already had Bread and Milk), then try some pay-for ones if none of those suit your needs.
( Last edited by JKT; Oct 22, 2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Corrected the price.)

ewiser
Oct 22, 2008, 05:38 AM

Ineedstuff is great my favorite app. It can sync with a web list and it learns how you go thru the store as you are buying items. So as you create a shopping list then as you start shopping the list order will arrange the items in order so you do not miss anything. I like this as I don't care if it a bread or dairy I want to know what I need next when I am shopping. The developer is contantly adding features that users vote on so it is always getting better. Great app.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2008, 01:14 PM

Another iNeesStuff user here. It's the sync feature that puts it over the others for me (well, us).

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2008, 02:32 PM

Nice to see that at least a few others here have confirmed I made a good decision going with iNeedStuff. Having used it for just a week or two, my wife and I are very satisfied. It is not a "life saver," but it gets the job done. Most helpful when you have that one thing on your mind and need to jot it down on your grocery list with everything else, while at the same time getting an identical list to your wife.

The way I see it, the fewer fridge magnets, the better.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 07:33 AM

Hey guys,

Rob Griffiths (of Mac OX Hints) just published a review of three grocery list apps on MacWorld:

Review: Grocery list applications for the iPhone

I doubt this adds anything to your discussion; and it sounds as though Ted is already pretty content with iNeedStuff. Still, I figure it can't hurt to post the link. And you never know what new perspective Rob or the reader comments might lend...

Forum Links
Forum Rules