Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync : plugin possibilities?

iSync : plugin possibilities?
Macanoid
Senior User
Jul 20, 2002, 07:30 AM

I really hope Apple will allow others to write plugins for iSync. That way it might become possible to use iSync for Entourage, Lotus notes etc as well.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 04:41 PM

I just hope iSync has more support for non-sony erricson/cingular phones. Sprint PCS customers want in on the action too!
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2002, 01:08 AM

I would like to sync with my Compaq iPaq. I can dream!

Alex

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2002, 09:34 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by HotDog:
<strong>I would like to sync with my Compaq iPaq. I can dream!

Alex</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There is no reason why you won't be able to. For a start you can drag & drop windows addresses into the mac address book. iSync uses syncML which uses vCal and vCards which are used by the Mac address book (and I assume iCal). These can be emailed too (that's where they started out).

So what I'm saying is - even if M$ don't embrace SyncML it wouldn't be hard for a 3rd party to add an SyncML/iSync compatible app to an iPaq. There may well be one out there already..

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 03:46 PM

There is no reason why you won't be able to. For a start you can drag & drop windows addresses into the mac address book. iSync uses syncML which uses vCal and vCards which are used by the Mac address book (and I assume iCal). These can be emailed too (that's where they started out).

So what I'm saying is - even if M$ don't embrace SyncML it wouldn't be hard for a 3rd party to add an SyncML/iSync compatible app to an iPaq. There may well be one out there already.. [/B]
Has there been any update on this? I can't sync my palm well via iSync (for unknown reasons, perhaps too many contacts?) and I'd dearly love to use my iPaq. Anyone?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

MickS
Senior User
Oct 18, 2002, 07:21 AM

I wouldn't expect Apple to open up iSync to allow other databases to be synced.

The AddressBook is pretty open and Apple would like other developers to make use of it rather than have their own address/contacts list.

iCal is there to provide calendar services using vCard format. It may be an early, and rough, release but it is likely that Apple see this as a central calendar for all of the system. It is possible that it will made open in a similar way to the AddressBook.

All other information is synced to Palm devices using standard Conduits. I'm using the AppleMail, Expenses and Filemaker Mobile conduits as well as iSync.

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
I wouldn't expect Apple to open up iSync to allow other databases to be synced.

The AddressBook is pretty open and Apple would like other developers to make use of it rather than have their own address/contacts list.

iCal is there to provide calendar services using vCard format. It may be an early, and rough, release but it is likely that Apple see this as a central calendar for all of the system. It is possible that it will made open in a similar way to the AddressBook.

All other information is synced to Palm devices using standard Conduits. I'm using the AppleMail, Expenses and Filemaker Mobile conduits as well as iSync.
Ah, but that's the key. The iPaq (in theory) uses standard .vCard and iCal file formats. It shouldn't be hard to transfer that over, if you have a bluetooth connection, using the BT-PDA-Sync port. But i've not seen anything like this... All that would have to be done is for a new conduit to be created, not opening up databases.

Did that make any sense?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules