Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Went by the bank tonight..

Went by the bank tonight.. (Page 2)
richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 09:39 PM

Yeah my bank has a machine you can feed cheques and cash into... it counts the cash... reads the amount on the cheques and puts it in ur account!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hippo1 View Post
might try it with your Mac effective today. ;-)
Oh hallelujah !

Good-bye Virtual PC.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Haven't you ever sold anything or had someone pay you for something besides work? I have had checks for various reasons delivered to the house recently. Most were related to financial mistakes from companies where they had to issue me a check, or for selling something.
It's all done via direct deposit.
Electronif funds transfer is free to checking accounts all over Europe. Takes 2-3 days to be in your account. Much safer, faster and more efficient than checks.

To my knowledge, checks are dead and non-existent in most countries in Europe. Last check I have seen in Germany was in 1994 or so.

And when I do go to the bank, I use a teller for the most part. I like talking to them and seeing if there's any new way of investing my money or if they have determined a new way in which the bank can serve me.

Investement advice from the teller person ?

Plus, ATMs take jobs away from people. I like that people are employed. With all of the money banks save using ATMs, they have not passed a bit of it on to me.
Uhm, yes, they have. Many banks offer free checking accounts. If not for ATMs, I doubt this would be possible.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jun 10, 2007, 10:45 PM

Some banks will now let you upload scanned images of checks for deposit into your account.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Some banks will now let you upload scanned images of checks for deposit into your account.
LOL, yes, that's exactly what USAA does with Deposit@Home. AFAIK< they were the first bank to implement this. It's been available for Wintel PCs for a year now, and finally they made it available for Macs.

-tg

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2007, 11:12 PM

I have used direct deposit whenever possible just to keep out of the horrendous lines that form on what appear to be everybody's payday. I do occasionally go to the bank to deposit a check (rebates, gifts, etc.) and I almost always do it during the normal business day. But using online banking totally blows away the "wait in line, wait for the teller to figure out what you want, wait for the teller to make it happen, wait for the teller to give you your receipt" competition.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Jun 10, 2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Investement advice from the teller person ?

Uhm, yes, they have. Many banks offer free checking accounts. If not for ATMs, I doubt this would be possible.

-t
I guess I wasn't clear. I go in, see the teller, the manager see me, stops what he is doing to chat with me, invites me into his office and we have coffee. Then he mentions he was thinking about my accounts and ways I could get a little bit more return on my investments. You just keep using that ATM. Good luck with that buddy.

There's no such thing as "free" checking. If you have your money in a "free" checking account you are losing money. Again, good luck with that buddy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 11:56 PM

I guess I wasn't clear. I go in, see the teller, the manager see me, stops what he is doing to chat with me, invites me into his office and we have coffee. Then he mentions he was thinking about my accounts and ways I could get a little bit more return on my investments. You just keep using that ATM. Good luck with that buddy.
This just sounds like a way to sit through someone's sales pitch for products that you probably won't want. There aren't that many banking products.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Cold Warrior
Jun 11, 2007, 12:24 AM

No kidding. And banks don't even offer that many good investments. Their CD's, savings yields, and in-house funds are usually sub-par compared to what's on the open market.

RR, you're just getting duped.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 01:48 AM

Yeah, I've looked at my bank's savings offerings. They're not particularly neat.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 05:22 AM

I guess I wasn't clear. I go in, see the teller, the manager see me, stops what he is doing to chat with me, invites me into his office and we have coffee. Then he mentions he was thinking about my accounts and ways I could get a little bit more return on my investments.
Yeah, because he's totally independent and will happily recommend the best products in the marketplace (hint: they're probably not from your bank).

There's no such thing as "free" checking. If you have your money in a "free" checking account you are losing money. Again, good luck with that buddy.
Yeah, that's why you don't leave your excess funds in checking accounts.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have used direct deposit whenever possible just to keep out of the horrendous lines that form on what appear to be everybody's payday.
I do it because I'm a lazy mofo.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 11, 2007, 08:36 AM

The company I work for changed payday from Thursday to Friday...

*sigh*

And they are switching opposite weeks.

They just did the opposite not 2 years ago.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 08:39 AM

Haven't you ever sold anything or had someone pay you for something besides work? I have had checks for various reasons delivered to the house recently. Most were related to financial mistakes from companies where they had to issue me a check, or for selling something.
As turtle said, that’s normally done via a regular bank transfer. You have to pay to cash in a cheque, whereas a domestic bank transfer is free (and the fee for an inter-EU transfer is something like twenty cents or something).

As Angus said, you don’t. You don’t spend or receive money to or from a current account. That’s what savings accounts are for. I don’t have a savings account, because I don’t have enough money to warrant one, which is fine with me. I’m not ‘losing’ money, though, just not making any, either (apart from the annual 3.75 per cent interest).

If I did, though, I’d still see little reason to go to the tellers or bank managers often. I’d have to talk them when opening the account, of course, but unless I were a big fish with several millions in my account, I’d trust the bank’s financial investors to know better than me what to invest in. The way most regular savings accounts here work is that you don’t sit down and choose in which companies or stocks or whatever you wish to invest; your money is simply added to an enormous pool, and the investor centre decides how and what to invest in with it. Works fine for most people, and it doesn’t require any real input from them. Any local manager wouldn’t be able to tell them anything about it, anyways, since the entire investment process is centralised to one particular branch where everyone’s an expert.

(In addition, ATMs don’t cost jobs necessary—or at least they haven’t here: Nordea, my bank, has never had more employees than it does now)
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 11, 2007 at 08:51 AM. )

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 09:32 AM

Welcome to the twenty first century. On your island, do you usually just barter and exchange shiny rocks or shells?
Not gunna lie...I giggled like a little schoolgirl.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2007, 09:34 AM

my bank charges you a service fee if you see the teller more than once a month. The last time I saw a teller was 4 years ago, I needed rolls of quarters and other change for a yard sale. Auto-deposit, drive thru ATM, and sometimes even the pneumatic tube thingy--works for me.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 09:36 AM

I've heard of that, though it was for more than 2 or 3 visits. It's utterly ridiculous.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 12:07 PM

Stupid non-sense.

A free checking account is a checking account that does NOT have any restrictions, and does NOT cost any fees.
No direct deposit required, no minimum balance, no minimum activity etc. And still free.

USAA is one of these.

So, how the fark am I losing money with that ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 12:09 PM

But he's getting a cup of cheap coffee

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I've heard of that, though it was for more than 2 or 3 visits. It's utterly ridiculous.
Why is this ridiculous ?

Do you really believe that those banks that don't charge you give it to you FREE of charge ?

Guess what, it's factored into other bank charges.

For me (as a customer that doesn't need the teller), I'm, glad to pay extra, because it means if I don't use it, I get a better deal.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:30 PM

Why is this ridiculous ?
Because it shows how they're more than willing to take your money and make money of it lending it to businesses, but get all pissy about providing you with actual in-bank service. Unless, of course, banks are somehow barely breaking even with having hired tellers to work during the day.

For me (as a customer that doesn't need the teller), I'm, glad to pay extra, because it means if I don't use it, I get a better deal.

-t
It's as preposterous as ATM fees.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 12:35 PM

It's as preposterous as ATM fees.
I disagree to compare those two that way.

Yes, ATM fees are preposterous , that's why I bank with USAA (they'll refund you for ATM fees up to a certain amount each month).

ATM fees and teller fees are different, because ATM fees are virtual and don't cause the bank any extra cost. The system and network is in place anyways, there are no extra variable cost. That's not true for the teller, since you have to pay salaries, fringes, rent, utilities etc. Cutting those will cu tthe cost for the bank and make it possible for the bank to pass on the savings to the customer. There is nothing you can save by cutting ATM services.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:40 PM

That's not true for the teller, since you have to pay salaries, fringes, rent, utilities etc.
Rent and utilities?

Cutting those will cu tthe cost for the bank and make it possible for the bank to pass on the savings to the customer.
What trivial thing is a bank going to do to 'pass on' savings?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 02:46 PM

Some of us have these things called "jobs" where we make money and have to place the in things called "banks" so we are able to feel secure and make money with our money.

I guess if I only had ten bucks to my name I wouldn't trust in to a "strange machine" either.

Welcome to the twenty first century. On your island, do you usually just barter and exchange shiny rocks or shells?
Yeah, but does your bank have a sword? And a secret garden?
( Last edited by olePigeon; Jun 11, 2007 at 03:55 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 04:18 PM

Careful talking about secret gardens—you’ll attract macgook2005!

Edit: That wasn’t actually on purpose. I meant to write macgeek2005. Doesn’t quite deserve deleting, either, though.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
This is Bank of America, and I'm quite pleased with my first deposit sans envelope.

Does your bank do this?
BoA was teriffic for dinging me regarding absolutely anything. Teller. Foreign ATMs. Breathing, apparently.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
BoA was teriffic for dinging me regarding absolutely anything. Teller. Foreign ATMs. Breathing, apparently.
Really? They've never dinged me except once when I accidentally went negative.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 09:41 AM

Rent and utilities?
Where does your teller work ? In a cardbox ?

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 09:43 AM

Where does your teller work ? In a cardbox ?

-t
In the same building they have the safe, safety boxes and loan officers. Outside of running a few computers the tellers aren't adding any cost.

Here, put it up your ass.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:00 AM

In the same building they have the safe, safety boxes and loan officers. Outside of running a few computers the tellers aren't adding any cost.

Here, put it up your ass.
Of course it does, idiot. If they cut (theoretically) all the tellers, they can use a buidling half that size. Would that not save rent and utilities ?

Why the fark do you think these are all fixed cost ?

Ah well, whatever.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:03 AM

Of course it does, idiot. If they cut (theoretically) all the tellers, they can use a buidling half that size. Would that not save rent and utilities ?
Well sure if they cut ALL the tellers, but outside theory, that ain't happening, so it doesn't matter.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:08 AM

Well sure if they cut ALL the tellers, but outside theory, that ain't happening, so it doesn't matter.
Well, yes it does. USAA has no branches, but they are still a full service bank. And guess what - it saves the customers money !

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:12 AM

Well, yes it does. USAA has no branches, but they are still a full service bank.
If they don't have tellers, how is it full service?

And guess what - it saves the customers money !

-t
What am I getting charged for that you aren't?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:17 AM

If they don't have tellers, how is it full service?
What can you do at a teller that I can't at USAAS w/o a teller.

Waiting to be enlightened.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:19 AM

What can you do at a teller that I can't at USAAS w/o a teller.

-t
Deal with a human being?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:29 AM

Deal with a human being?
Telephone. Check.

Please try again.

Btw, just to show how USAA stacks up:

What bank beats that ?

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:31 AM

What am I getting charged for that you aren't?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:33 AM

What's your bank ?
Does it offer all the free services listed above ?

If yes, then your are not being charged extra. If not, go figure !

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:34 AM

Telephone. Check.
I'll pass thanks.

Btw, just to show how USAA stacks up:

What bank beats that ?

-t
It's nice that they're not raping you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:40 AM

It's nice that they're not raping you.
Well, so put the money on the table.

What's your bank. Let's compare.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:40 AM

What's your bank ?
Does it offer all the free services listed above ?

If yes, then your are not being charged extra. If not, go figure !

-t
I definitely don't get rewards on debit purchases. Don't know if that amounts to anything substantial per year.

Don't get worldwide ATM, either, but that's practically irrelevant with a Visa debit card.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:43 AM

I definitely don't get rewards on debit purchases. Don't know if that amounts to anything substantial per year.

Don't get worldwide ATM, either, but that's practically irrelevant with a Visa debit card.
How about:
* interest on checking account ?
* free checks ?

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:46 AM

Yes.

Free checks or free checking? a) no, b) yes

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 10:56 AM

How about:
* interest on checking account ?
* free checks ?

-t
Do they refund other ATM fees? Just curious, really.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Do they refund other ATM fees? Just curious, really.
Yes, they do.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Jun 12, 2007, 11:04 PM

No kidding. And banks don't even offer that many good investments. Their CD's, savings yields, and in-house funds are usually sub-par compared to what's on the open market.

You need to go to a different bank then.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 12, 2007, 11:06 PM

Stupid non-sense.

A free checking account is a checking account that does NOT have any restrictions, and does NOT cost any fees.
No direct deposit required, no minimum balance, no minimum activity etc. And still free.

USAA is one of these.

So, how the fark am I losing money with that ?

-t
You really have no idea how you're losing money?!?!

Very telling.

Now go back to work. You probably need the money. I'll just rest and relax here retired at 36 years old.

Cold Warrior
Jun 12, 2007, 11:11 PM

You need to go to a different bank then.
OK smart guy, tell us the sweet deals and rates you get. Make us jealous.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 12, 2007, 11:17 PM

OK smart guy, tell us the sweet deals and rates you get. Make us jealous.
Nah. You guys have been jerks. Go back to work.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 PM

I have not used a cheque for at least um.. five years and though I received a cheque in january I hadn't received one for at least six years before that.

Debit cards, Credit Cards, on-line banking and ATMs. Actually going to a bank is so last millennium.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules