Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are you circumcised?

View Poll Results: Are you circumcised?
Poll Options:
Yes 19 votes (65.52%)
No 10 votes (34.48%)
I had no choice, but to swiftly kick the doctor in the face! 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Are you circumcised? (Page 2)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 09:41 AM

This type of thread is destined for the PWL and should have been placed there by the third post.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 09:51 AM

Let me repost this link, since it's obvious that nobody's reading it:

The amount of tissue loss estimated in the present study is more than most parents envisage from pre-operative counselling. Circumcision also ablates junctional mucosa that appears to be an important component of the overall sensory mechanism of the human penis.
Erogenous Tissue Loss after Circumcision
(warning: It's a scientific paper with some photographs—not of the procedure itself. NSFW)

Doing that to a child is physical mutilation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
This type of thread is destined for the PWL and should have been placed there by the third post.
There is absolutely nothing political about this subject.

The whole soap boxing on the risks of gay sex is a completely pointless tangent, and ebuddy's totally idiotic stamping it as a leftie/rightie issue just put the final nail in the thread.

This thread is a perfect example of why this forum is dying.

It's not the mods, it's nothing that can be saved be reintegrating the Poli lounge into the regular lounge; it's because this kind of stupidity was encouraged to grow unchecked with the creation of the political lounge and has made otherwise normal, intelligent human beings utterly incapable of discussing interesting subjects with a minimum of brain involvement.

**** this.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If you "pole" [sic] American women on what they prefer, they'll opt for what they know. Duh.
Well, unless it cums comes with a British accent. And then they tend to "pole" the other way.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Correction, lpkmckenna said Asian culture is dirty and disgusting....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I had no idea this was a lefty/righty issue...
It's not. Other than the fact that Big Mac's boys are all cut therefore anyone who isn't cut must support the other boys in the Middle East therefore must be a leftie!

I agree with the lefties in this thread (even hyteckit! Strewth, must go have a lie down). It's a mutilation of God's fine handiwork to rid one's little guy of his turtle neck.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 12:30 PM

If foreskins were really that bad us (or even just for our penises or our love lives) then surely they would have evolved away by now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 12:34 PM

Erogenous Tissue Loss after Circumcision
(warning: It's a scientific paper with some photographs—not of the procedure itself. NSFW)
Is there a reason you directed this at me?

I've had it done, I don't need to read a paper about it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If foreskins were really that bad us (or even just for our penises or our love lives) then surely they would have evolved away by now.
Or, to use the other argument if you're so inclined, God wouldn't have put them there in the first place.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 12:55 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 01:27 PM

Like our appendix did when we evolved the kitchen?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 01:53 PM

There is absolutely nothing political about this subject.

The whole soap boxing on the risks of gay sex is a completely pointless tangent, and ebuddy's totally idiotic stamping it as a leftie/rightie issue just put the final nail in the thread.

This thread is a perfect example of why this forum is dying.

It's not the mods, it's nothing that can be saved be reintegrating the Poli lounge into the regular lounge; it's because this kind of stupidity was encouraged to grow unchecked with the creation of the political lounge and has made otherwise normal, intelligent human beings utterly incapable of discussing interesting subjects with a minimum of brain involvement.

**** this.
I dunno, the "usual suspects" started dog piling on subego because he's clipped, telling him how terrible he is for doing it. AND it was someone from the Left (OldManMac) who brought religion/politics into this, he started the whole, "it's a barbaric practice which is based on superstition and mythology" thing. It wasn't ebuddy. I guess you guys don't realize just how intolerant and antagonistic you can be.

FWIW, if we have a boy we're not getting him circumcised, we're going to wait until he's older and let him decide. But that's not because we feel that it's "mutilation" but because it is a sensitive matter in a sensitive area. If he then wants to get it done, more power to him.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Your analogy would only make sense, hyteckit, if a portion of people also circumcised their tongues, and if those who did so experienced lower incidences of serious medical problems like infections, cancers and STDs. It's ironic that you claim to want to keep your senses intact when you're so very senseless on practically every (political) issue, including this one. But I digress.

The truly humorous thing is that more and more of the medical community has weighed in decidedly in support of circumcision, sometimes strongly so. The major part of the controversy, to the extent one exists, is one manufactured by the Left, which has no problem crushing baby skulls long after fetuses are viable, but once they're delivered you dastardly parents better not dare follow medical and religious advice to remove some extraneous, often problematic small piece of skin! such fools.
Your info is out of date for Europe, Canada, Australia, and not sure of the US because I didn't look it up. The medical communities as a whole no longer recommend it for every boy. Just those high risk of some things. And reading into the history of the change has more to do with political pressure then medial knowledge.

-------- reply to B ended

I hate religion. I can't stand religion. Ask any one here including Big Mac how anti religious I have been. But there is one truth to religion that even I can't argue with. Many of the practices in religion had sound reasons and back in the dark ages of no education, sanitation they made absolute sense. The eating of meat from animals that ate cud was a protection from sickness in a time when bacteria and viruses was not understood. Snipping the boys was a practice of preventing infections of the boys gear in a time of no sanitation. Do these things still apply today with modern sanitation? In parts of the world YES. Other parts of the world No any more. You still have the cultural aspect of it and the religious aspect of it that applies everywhere as well. Its also as old as the worlds oldest profession. It started with the Egyptians or even predates them.

I can't remember who it was that said the HIV study in Africa isn't valid because the evidence was so over whelming. That's retarded because if the evidence is that strong that early on and makes that big of a difference for Heterosexual men in a environment FULL of HIV of course a study will be cut short to fast track policy change.

Even in North America with good sanitation and medical treatment, uncut boys still suffer 3 times the infections and penis problems then cut boys.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:20 PM

Let's keep this out of the pol lounge...

Nor did I...

Maybe the question is what is *not* a lefty/righty issue?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I dunno, the "usual suspects" started dog piling on subego because he's clipped, telling him how terrible he is for doing it. AND it was someone from the Left (OldManMac) who brought religion/politics into this, he started the whole, "it's a barbaric practice which is based on superstition and mythology" thing. It wasn't ebuddy. I guess you guys don't realize just how intolerant and antagonistic you can be.

FWIW, if we have a boy we're not getting him circumcised, we're going to wait until he's older and let him decide. But that's not because we feel that it's "mutilation" but because it is a sensitive matter in a sensitive area. If he then wants to get it done, more power to him.

The whole "he started it first" bit stopped working once I hit my teens.

It doesn't matter who started it, we are all perfectly capable of ending it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:24 PM

I still want to learn more about how an uncircumcized penis can become infected, and how common this is... I'm too scared to Google it too.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Or, to use the other argument if you're so inclined, God wouldn't have put them there in the first place.
That would just be undermining a rational point with an irrational one though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I still want to learn more about how an uncircumcized penis can become infected, and how common this is... I'm too scared to Google it too.
Circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks, interesting, although this stuff makes me skemish....

Also from this Wikipedia page, Canada's stance on circumcision:

The Fetus and Newborn Committee of the Canadian Paediatric Society posted "Neonatal circumcision revisited" in 1996 and "Circumcision: Information for Parents" in November 2004. The 1996 position statement says that "circumcision of newborns should not be routinely performed",[49] and the 2004 information to parents says: 'Circumcision is a "non-therapeutic" procedure, which means it is not medically necessary. Parents who decide to circumcise their newborns often do so for religious, social, or cultural reasons. [. . .] After reviewing the scientific evidence for and against circumcision, the CPS does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn boys. Many paediatricians no longer perform circumcisions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:53 PM

I was dogpiled?

FWIW, I didn't really want to have it done. It got too tight and snapped (not fun).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:57 PM

I'm assuming we can all agree that female circumcision is barbaric?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 02:58 PM

That would just be undermining a rational point with an irrational one though.
Don't at me you big girl!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 02:58 PM

I dunno, the "usual suspects" started dog piling on subego because he's clipped, telling him how terrible he is for doing it.
I don't recall a single person criticizing subego. Myself, I assumed it was medical.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 03:04 PM

Only page 2 and the thread is already off the rails huh? Circumcised here. Wouldn't have it any other way. Had my son done as in infant. Didn't see much point in waiting since IMO potentially subjecting him to such a procedure as an adult would have been far worse experience. Wanted to have my daughter's ears pierced as a baby for the same reason but I was overruled by her mother. She then got it done anyway as a pre-teen and received the "full experience". Wasn't very thrilled about that but it wasn't too bad. I shudder at the thought of an adult circumcision though. I have no idea how this is even remotely a left/right issue. It's a personal/family concern. The million dollar question I have for the OP is … why do you care one way or the other?

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 03:09 PM

The whole "he started it first" bit stopped working once I hit my teens.

It doesn't matter who started it, we are all perfectly capable of ending it.
That's great, but it's better when it never gets started in the first place. Right?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 03:30 PM

That's great, but it's better when it never gets started in the first place. Right?

This is true.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Wanted to have my daughter's ears pierced as a baby for the same reason but I was overruled by her mother.
Wait. What?
I pierced my own ear with a blunt stud whilst walking down the local high street. It's not that painful.

Why don't we all go the whole hog and give our sons a Prince Albert while they're babies? Y'know, just in case.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah, pierced mine with a sewing needle, did my nipples the same way. It didn't hurt that much at all.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 04:45 PM

My ear was with the staple gun contraption thing. I remember it hurting, but not like crazy bad or anything.

What was more irritating is the stem wasn't long enough to accommodate a little swelling.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wait. What?
I pierced my own ear with a blunt stud whilst walking down the local high street. It's not that painful.

Why don't we all go the whole hog and give our sons a Prince Albert while they're babies? Y'know, just in case.
If I knew what a "Prince Albert" was …

OAW

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
If I knew what a "Prince Albert" was …

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2011, 05:30 PM

I has my clitoris removed by a witchdoctor in Uganda.
Was definitely worth the money having it done properly.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 06:05 PM

Still not catching the joke. Maybe it's a British humor thing.

OAW

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 06:25 PM

I come back and read through and think, ffs, it is the same people ruining the thread that ruin other threads here.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks, interesting, although this stuff makes me skemish....

Also from this Wikipedia page, Canada's stance on circumcision:
Your info is out of date for Europe, Canada, Australia, and not sure of the US because I didn't look it up. The medical communities as a whole no longer recommend it for every boy. Just those high risk of some things. And reading into the history of the change has more to do with political pressure then medial knowledge.
I did already said that up above....

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I come back and read through and think, ffs, it is the same people ruining the thread that ruin other threads here.
You mean to say the only resident people on MacNN are doing what is done in forums and that is to discuss topics?

Is it your opinion that the only way a thread can't be ruined is if every one involved agree with each other? You have people that are for snipping and those that are against it. What would be the point in a discussion if every one agreed with it. Wouldn't last more then a couple posts. Between the bickering useful information for and against is being published as well and many people are learning stuff they might not have known about before. It is your kind of post that add's nothing. Perhaps its your kind who are ruining threads by expecting the unrealistic and imaginary...
( Last edited by Athens; Nov 5, 2011 at 07:41 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Like our appendix did when we evolved the kitchen?
Foreskins have been around much longer than kitchens. Give it time.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 08:13 PM

And I bet there are papers that say otherwise out there too, which makes it debatable.
Sorry Athens but your opinions on scientific papers lost all credibility in the thread about Burzynski.

For OAW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...nital_piercing)

Warning, there is a pic (NSFW).

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 08:30 PM

Sorry Athens but your opinions on scientific papers lost all credibility in the thread about Burzynski.

For OAW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...ital_piercing)

Fixed

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 08:32 PM

There was a dogpile on subego?

At 22, if subego wanted to do it for aesthetic or medical reasons, it's his choice. Why would I criticize him for it?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 08:38 PM

Let's keep this out of the pol lounge...
Neither did most of the rest of us, but some need to bring that up, as they have nothing else.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Neither did most of the rest of us, but some need to bring that up, as they have nothing else.

- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 09:53 PM

For OAW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...nital_piercing)

Excuse me asshole?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 10:08 PM

Abandoning a study because the data was one sided is bad science. Guessing/hoping that scientific papers that agree with your point might exist instead of finding them is just lazy and foolish.

The fact you don't realise this along with your getting sucked in by the pseudoscience and the criminally bad published works of an obvious con man in the other thread means you have no credibility to comment on scientific papers or their validity.

Great comeback though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Fixed
Am I missing something? Did you fix my post or were you just agreeing with me?

subego
Clinically Insane

For OAW:

subego
Clinically Insane

Better let him out.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN

What science for or against. No one has shown anything for or against. Put up and show a paper of scientific merit against his claims then. Bringing up Burzynski here is also retarded. Your just being a inflammatory goof now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2011, 11:53 PM

Glad to see my son's circumcision caused World War III.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Glad to see my son's circumcision caused World War III.
At least your team won...

... barely.
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2011, 12:01 AM

ROFL!!!!

When you put it that way

Forum Links
Forum Rules