Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Humble Indie Bundle V

Humble Indie Bundle V
P
Jun 1, 2012, 03:20 AM

After a couple of Android-focused bundles, they're back with the original setup: 5 games, DRM-free, Mac, Windows and Linux versions, pay what you want. This time you need to pay over the average to get the 5th game, which means that it technically probably is fewer games than it has been recently (it's usually 5 to start with and then a couple more added or games you only get if you pay over the average), but IMO the quality of the games makes up for it. Psychonauts is the only one I have, but I've heard good things about all the rest.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 05:43 AM

I gave them $25 last night and immediately started playing Limbo. I already watched the entire playthru of Limbo last year in a Let's Play video on YouTube, since I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to play it. But I've forgotten the details, so I'm really enjoying it. Very creepy.

I've already played Amnesia, which is certainly the scariest video game ever. I highly recommend it.

And both Psychonauts and Bastion have been on my to-do list, so I'm very happy. I'd never noticed Superbrothers before, but I love the art style.

Oh, and watch the bundle launch trailer. The guy who does the Bastion voiceover narrates it.

andi*pandi
Jun 1, 2012, 09:11 AM

I have the Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery on iPad, it was lots of fun.

ibook_steve
Jun 1, 2012, 02:07 PM

I just got this and started Amnesia last night. It's really creepy!

I completed Psychonauts way back when on my PS2, but I may just go through it again. I was excited to hear that it had been ported to Mac. It's such a great game.

I also started Bastion. I'm not much of a fan of computer RPGs (mostly console but even those I haven't been able to get into as of late since they've gotten, IMO, way too complicated) but I may get into this.

Humble Bundle is the best! I think I've purchased almost all of them except for the Android bundle.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2012, 10:47 PM

Bought it, thanks for the heads-up.

My blood pressure spiking from Amnesia does not thank you, however.

P  (op)
Jun 2, 2012, 06:30 PM

Haven't bought it myself yet - I'm playing Max Payne 3. It's fairly short, though, I'm on the last chapter.

(Hint for Rockstar: Headshots do not heal back. Not even if you're wearing body armor. Really.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2012, 01:59 PM

So I've played thru Limbo twice now. Great experience all around. However, the "secrets" are really hard to find. I've only found 4 of 11, and can't really figure out where the others are hiding.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 04:39 PM

For some reason, performance for Bastion is terrible, turning in to a jittery mess during loads, and Psychonauts refuses to launch at all. Hmmmm.

P  (op)
Jun 6, 2012, 04:57 PM

Played about half way through Limbo, and tried Amnesia: The Dark Descent now. That's a game that's supposed to scare you, and I don't think I've been truly scared by anything media since I was 10 or something, but a decent effort so far.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 6, 2012, 05:07 PM

Bastion has been running great (also, it's fun) on my Mac Pro.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 01:36 PM

The Escapist : News : New Humble Indie Bundle Will Blow You Away - UPDATED

Super Meat Boy, Braid, and Lone Survivor have been added to the bundle.

P  (op)
Jun 7, 2012, 01:50 PM

Braid is fantastic, but I guess a lot of people already have it by now - it's been in bundles before, and it received some great coverage when it was released. Super Meat Boy is a traditional plat former that a lot of people love - personally I thought it was fun, but not that special. Lone Survivor I haven't played.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
So I've played thru Limbo twice now. Great experience all around. However, the "secrets" are really hard to find. I've only found 4 of 11, and can't really figure out where the others are hiding.
Some of them are impossible to find without a video guide.

Under Ground Achievement in Limbo

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

andi*pandi
Jun 7, 2012, 03:51 PM

Ok, I gave in and bought...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Some of them are impossible to find without a video guide.

Under Ground Achievement in Limbo
Oh damn, having watched that, some of those seem so obvious in retrospect. The only one that looks impossible was the secret hiding in the pipe (the "It's Stuck" achievement).

P  (op)
Jun 10, 2012, 05:11 PM

I've played 5 hours of Bastion now, and I seem to be on the home stretch. No problems with performance. They somehow manage to keep it interesting despite the rather repetitive gameplay by making the weapons perform very differently from each other.

Limbo was interesting, but I was through it in less than 2 hours and there was a definite likelihood of getting stuck here and there. A little hint after dying 10 or 20 times in the same spot would have been nice.

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 PM

Amnesia is super mega creepy, but also a bit tiresome. I know how to solve the puzzle I'm working on, but it's cumbersome to stack and rotate crates, they fall down, bah.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Amnesia is super mega creepy, but also a bit tiresome. I know how to solve the puzzle I'm working on, but it's cumbersome to stack and rotate crates, they fall down, bah.
I vaguely recall the crate-stacking thing, and if I remember correctly, stacking the crates was not the solution to the puzzle. I can't remember what the solution was, but I seem to recall that after I gave up on stacking crates, I went looking and found the actual solution. But my memory is really fuzzy since this was a year ago.

EDIT: So I looked on YouTube to refresh my memory, and someone there has a video showing that if you successfully stack the crates and manage to climb thru the hole in the ceiling, you'll climb right out of the game's geometry into the "Negative Zone."

Anyways, I went looking for the 11th secret object in LIMBO, and I found it, and almost wished I hadn't. When you play thru again after having found 10/11 secrets in previous plays, a new area opens up. (This secret isn't explained in the video from Stogieman).

But I'm glad I discovered it and solved it all on my own.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jun 20, 2012 at 08:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules