Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > LED Diagnostic Valid w/No HD in iMacG5?

LED Diagnostic Valid w/No HD in iMacG5?
supermacgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 10:08 PM

I removed my Hard Drive and placed it in a 3.5" eSATA external case when the power supply fried & needed to be replaced in my iMac G5 20" early 2005 PowerPC computer, so I could access the info on my hard drive until I could afford the repair. Now I'm ready to put the HD back in and have lost the bracket and screws which seat the HD in the iMac case. I'm also afraid I may have a logic board issue, as my original LED diagnostic indicated one when the computer 1st went down. Since the power supply was replaced, and with no HD in it (since I can't find the installation bracket & screws), I plugged it in and checked the LEDs again with no indication of a logic board problem (LED 1 on, all other LEDs off). Not sure if the test reads accurately if done with no HD installed. Anyone know? Don't want to spend $90 to get the HD back in and then find I have a $800 logic board problem. Also any advice on where I could obtain these on the cheap, as in used, discarded, recycled mac parts source? I'm an artist, flat broke and need low cost option, if there is one!

Forum Links
Forum Rules