Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Copy the whole drive

Copy the whole drive
thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2007, 06:35 PM

I ordered a new Western Digital 250gb drive for my macbook pro, I have os x and xp pro installed on my current drive. Is there a program that will let me copy everything from one drive to the new one? I have enough hardware to hookup the drives anyway necessary (2 externals, 2 internals on a pc whatever), Norton Ghost only does windows, does Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper do both ?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 06:40 PM

Disk Utility can do this.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 06:23 PM

You may have problems with the XP partition. Search the Alternative OS forum for discussion about this.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 11:30 PM

I think Carbon Copy Cloner *might* be able to do this -- or Mike's other program, NetRestore. But I'm not sure it's trivial. And you HAVE to be using the NTFS file system on the Windows partition (won't work with FAT32).

SuperDuper could *not* do this, last I checked.

thetman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2007, 07:37 PM

ok so the drive is in, i used netrestore to move the mac partition back to the laptop, then used boot camp assistant to create a new blank 80gb partition, when i have access to a pc im gonna try putting the mbp in target disk mode and ghosting (norton ghost) the pc partition back to the laptop the same way i did the mac partition only pc instead of mac

FYI - the 250gb WD drive installed w/o problems and does not get any hotter than my old 100gb seagate, speed tests will be run soon.

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2007, 07:59 PM

Cool. 250 gigs is sweet. I'm very enthused about the direction laptop HDD capacities are headed. High capacity, high performance, affordable.

thetman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 03:54 AM

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by thetman View Post
Thanks for posting this link. Wincloneis just what I needed. I usually make clones at 3 stages during a windows install. once after xp has finished its install, second after drivers have been installed, and third after my basic apps (office, photoshop, adobe reader, quicktime, etc) & settings. Most of the time I just restore to the third image but sometimes if say apple releases a whole new set of drivers i will revert to the first image and then proceed from there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules