Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2010 MacBook 13"

2010 MacBook 13"
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 10:25 AM

Ok people, now I have a new dilemma maybe you can assist me with, I got all my macbook backed up and then did a COMPLETE restore of system 10.9 then 10.9.4 but here is the dilemma I am running into, my commuter now is so S L O W W W W i mean I am un archiving my backups and =then moving around on HDD and a 32.MB file took 3 mins (yes I said it) to move from one directory to another and the alas when I was doing a complete install it took almost 20 hrs (again yes I said it) it hung on the "less than on min for 13+ hrs then rebooted and i thought great. Then started doing other stuff that when I realized the system is so S L O WWWWW so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 22, 2014, 11:43 AM

The "less than a minute" thing is pretty common. That said, I'd make sure you've kept the data you backed up.

Also, despite what Apple says, Mavericks really wants more than 4GB of RAM and a SSD rather than a hard drive.

akent35
Banned
Jul 22, 2014, 01:28 PM

Late last week, on Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET, they had a video about 5 ways one can try and speed up a Mac. Here is the link:

Five ways to speed up your Mac - CNET

Also, if you don't need it, I would turn off Spotlight indexing of your hard drive. I did that a long time ago on my Macs, and it helps.

Regarding EstaNightshift's suggestions, yes, adding more RAM (if you can) can help. Fortunately, for my processing, 4 Gig has been enough on my Mac Mini (which I can expand) and my Mac Book Air (which I cannot expand). But, an excellent boost will occur if you can replace your internal hard drive with an SSD (my Mac Book Air came with a 256 gig SSD). When I replaced the slow internal 1 TB 5400 rpm in my Mac Mini with a 256 gig Samsung SSD last November, the speed difference was amazing! And, I was able to place that hard drive in a nice, slim external case. It's been a convenient way to store movies and TV series videos, so I can watch them on long flights. (Will be doing that in two days, on our flight from Seattle to Reykjavik, Iceland).
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 22, 2014 at 02:02 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2014, 03:06 PM

OS X slows down significantly when you have very little free space on your hard drive (<15 GB or so). How much storage do you use?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 03:42 PM

this is a brand new format of 650 gb hdd

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 03:44 PM

But this is a NEW install, and I was running OS X 10.9.4 before all this happen, BTW I forgot to mention that the battery had been removed because it was bloated, and now I just run on plug power that is when I started to know that something was wrong if that makes a difference, don't know why it would though.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 03:52 PM

how do i turn off indexing sir, i looked but can not figure it out, maybe I am a goof....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 22, 2014, 03:56 PM

How to Disable (or Enable) Spotlight in Mac OS X Mavericks & Mountain Lion | OSXDaily

And yeah, you should have led with the "no battery" thing. Apple laptops without a battery installed are down-clocked by firmware. There's nothing you can do about it, other than put in a new battery.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 04:10 PM

wow just did a permissions verify (still running) and there are over 100 scroll down pages of errors now how that happen on a NEW format HDD scares me do you think that could be my problem I have not done a fix yet still running while typing this but would like some info .BTW thanks EstaNightshift

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nassifer View Post
But this is a NEW install, and I was running OS X 10.9.4 before all this happen, BTW I forgot to mention that the battery had been removed because it was bloated, and now I just run on plug power that is when I started to know that something was wrong if that makes a difference, don't know why it would though.
If you have a MacBook with a swollen battery, I recommend that you make a genius bar appointment and stop by the Apple store to have the battery replaced.

I stopped by an Apple store when my MacBook was four years old, with a swollen battery that was pressing on the trackpad from its bottom, ready to negotiate the battery replacement, and the genius bar rep said, "Hey, you have a swollen battery. Let me get you a new one."

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 04:19 PM

why do they do the down clocking, that is stupid never heard of that before really don't understand thanks for the info now I will do a search for more info on the down-clock issue

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 04:32 PM

i am out of warranty for the battery replace and also I am in Indonesia and no one here know about MacBooks they are scared of them no one wants to work on it I had to remove battery myself.

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2014, 04:43 PM

With a brand new hard drive, the fact that you have tons of errors suggests that the hard drive is faulty. Don't trust it and get it replaced asap. Also, independently of that, removing your battery castrates your CPU: your MacBook's processor will be down-clocked to prevent that your machine runs unstably (during load spikes, your MacBook may demand more power than your power brick can demand).

My advice: replace the hard drive now and get a new battery.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

akent35
Banned
Jul 22, 2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's excellent advice! For the battery, you should be able to order one over the internet. As for a replacement hard drive, hopefully there are stores in Indonesia (like a Best Buy, Office Depot, etc.) that sell brand name, reliable ones.

How much space are you using on the 650 gig HDD?

akent35
Banned
Jul 22, 2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
With a brand new hard drive, the fact that you have tons of errors suggests that the hard drive is faulty. Don't trust it and get it replaced asap. Also, independently of that, removing your battery castrates your CPU: your MacBook's processor will be down-clocked to prevent that your machine runs unstably (during load spikes, your MacBook may demand more power than your power brick can demand).

He actually said "this is a brand new format of 650 gb hdd", but not sure exactly what that means. Does it mean it is a brand new 650 gig HDD, or is an "old" one that he re-formatted? If, Nassifer, you re-formatted it, what software did you use to do that? Also, you should use Disk Utility to check the drive, but what could even be better is if you could use either Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. For Disk Warrior, you would need to run it from another machine, with your Macbook in Target Disk Mode. If you use Tech Tool Pro, it will install an eDrive on a small partition on your hard drive, and then you could boot the Macbook from that eDrive and use Tech Tool Pro to analyze/repair the drive.

For the battery, you should be able to order one over the internet. As for a replacement hard drive, hopefully there are stores in Indonesia (like a Best Buy, Office Depot, etc.) that sell brand name, reliable ones.

How much space are you using on the 650 gig HDD?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2014, 06:59 PM

Battery first. As Oreo said, the machine will slow itself A LOT unless there's a battery.

I think you said you have a newly formatted 650GB drive, rather than a new 650 GB drive. If the drive IS new, then it should be pretty much pristine as far as disk fragmentation is concerned. But that HUGE list of permission errors? That kind of tells me that either your installation is totally hosed, or the drive is crapping out...or both. If it ain't a brand new drive, BUY A NEW ONE NOW. Go bigger, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

akent35
Banned
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 PM

If the original hard drive is still in the machine, then there is the possibility that it is starting to "crap out". Getting the battery first is of course the right thing to do, but you can still run Disk Utility to check out the hard drive. And, if possible, you could also use Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro. By the way, Micromat, the company that makes Tech Tool Pro, is having a 25th anniversary sale, and you can get Tech Tool Pro for only $25. But, that deal ends in 2 days, on July 25th. Here is a link that can help you with that:

Micromat, Inc. - Leaders in Diagnostic Maintenance and Repair for Mac

I depend upon Tech Tool Pro, and I strongly recommend it.

If your original hard drive is still good, you might want to consider installing a 256 gig SSD in the Macbook, and then installing the hard drive in a slim, external case. That of course depends if you are OK with storing a large part of your "data" files on the external drive. When you need to access them, it will be somewhat slow, but your MacBook will boot up real fast, and run faster. If, though, the old hard drive is bad, and you decide to buy a new one, you should be able to pick up a 1 TB 7200 rpm drive for about $55 to $60. You could still purchase a 256 gig SSD for about $125, along with the 1 TB drive (you can even get one that comes in an external case, but it could be less expensive to get the bare drive and a case, and install it yourself). It's not real hard to do that. If that is too small for you, 2 TB and 3 TB drives (get 7200 rpm) are also inexpensive.
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules