Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 66)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
The 360 is in a position to hit the most consumers, not because of some MS conspiracy or dirty business practices but because they have the product that can appeal to the widest variety of likely buyers.

It has HD-DVD capability…but you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it.
It has a great controller that is the type of controller that we have been used to for YEARS.
It has wireless capability…but you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it.
It has great graphics for those that care.
It has XBOX live.
It has a good game lineup with 2007 looking to upgrade that to a great lineup.

You can hate MS all you want but the 360 is a great product. Period. It's success is in no way the result of anything other than a great team bringing a great product to market and letting everyone know how great it is.

One of the reasons I bought a Mac was an ideological one. I didn't like MS and I still don't.

Then I grew up.

Call it selfish if you want but life is too short to deprive ourselves of the enjoyment of something out of silly ideology. This isn't life or death, or environmental disaster, it's a GAME. If you like it buy it, if you don't…DON'T. It really is that simple.

Exactly why I bought one, and I am known for not buying anything unless it's a damn good choice.

So far the 360 itself has exceeded my expectations, and the games have fallen slightly short (Well not GOW, but DOA4 and F.E.A.R. seem like a slightly bumped version of what xbox could already do).

I mainly bought it for Halo 3, but it plays DVDs better than my current stand alone player (loads quicker, makes less noise, has component out), charges my iPod while allowing me to search through my artists from the comfort of my couch, and still plays all the xbox games I already own (but who cares about those anymore?)

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 02:55 PM

The Xbox 360 and PS3 voting are neck-to-neck.

I do like my 8 months old Xbox 360 and heck it's my first video game console. It really brought me into the gaming world. I got a free copy of GoW few weeks ago and decided to give it a try since I had no interest on any shooter type of game. The graphics does live up with the hype, but overall it's just not my cup of tea. I was kind of mad that I didn't receive the $399 model. I ended up purchasing a wireless controller, charger, and a 64MB memory unit.

I was so close to purchase the HD-DVD player add-on at Circuit City the other day, but I saw the availability of the PS3 at BestBuy.

I like the fact that Microsoft extends the standard warranty to 1 year vs. 90 days before 12/22/06. However, I feel like someone is using the hairdryer everytime I turn on my Xbox 360. Many people said it's the DVD drive noise. The noise did take out the majority of the fun. Remember we complaint about the wind-tunnel MDD G4? The Xbox 360 is a lot worst.

XBox Live is an interesting platform, but since I don't have a hard drive, I can't say much. Occasionally I played with others via Xbox Live and exchanging messages. Lastly, I just didn't buy into the whole MS Points. Anyone here like the MS Points?

BTW, Connect360 is a fine piece of tool between your Mac and the Xbox 360.
( Last edited by Kenneth; Dec 28, 2006 at 03:04 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2006, 02:56 PM

True, although not having it be standard means that it is used only for movies and can't be taken advantage of in games.

It has a great controller that is the type of controller that we have been used to for YEARS.
OK, but the SIXAXIS design has arguably been around longer, if that matters to you.

It has wireless capability…but you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it.
Also true with the PS3.

Also true with the PS3.

It has XBOX live.
Xbox Live is very well done, but then again it is a pay service if you want to play multiplayer games. We don't yet know how Sony's online service will shape up, but a number of games already offer free multiplayer. I actually think the lack of a Gamertag and Gamerscore is the main area where the PS3 online service will be lacking.

This is of course the main area where the Xbox 360's head start gives it an advantage over the competition, at least for the time being.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2006, 03:09 PM

By the way, I was at Target this morning and they had about a dozen Wiis in stock. People were walking right by them without giving them a second look. Not a single PS3 in stock, though. I guess that shows that demand for the Wii is waning, right? (Yes, I am being sarcastic.)

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
By the way, I was at Target this morning and they had about a dozen Wiis in stock. People were walking right by them without giving them a second look. Not a single PS3 in stock, though. I guess that shows that demand for the Wii is waning, right? (Yes, I am being sarcastic.)
Except that the whole "ps3 demand is waning" supposedly started from actual sales vs stock numbers that were released(at least that's what a number of game sites reported). Then a bunch of people started the "well I saw 15 at such and such store".

I agree that a bunch of random people seeing them in stores means nothing though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 03:23 PM

Best Buy's 360 aisle was jam-packed yesterday, I didn't even see any PS3 games, and noone was walking out of the store with one. The day I bought mine two other people in line had 360s, yesterday 3 people in line had 360s.

Maybe it is just Best Buy, or this area, but their doesn't seem to be much excitement about the PS3 or Wii.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 03:46 PM

I was in line at Best Buy the other day and saw about 5 different people buying 360 games, systems or accessories.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 03:51 PM

Guess it isn't just me then.

The 360 aisle literally accounted for 80% of all the customers in best Buy when I was there.

I'm just an average run-of-the-mill douche-bag, I know, but this seems to be saying something.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 03:53 PM

I was in EB and Wal-mart twice in past week. I didn't see anyone leave with any type of game system. I'm pretty sure the market has crashed.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm just an average run-of-the-mill douche-bag.
Well, you're certainly some type of douchébag.

We'll get back to you on what kind.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 03:54 PM

<jumps out window>

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 04:16 PM

Different direction...

I finally got an HDTV this Tuesday. It's a 32" Westinghouse, and I'm really happy with it thus far.

I said that to say this: it has totally changed my 360 experience. I had already played on an HDTV, but not in the environment that I would like to. It's like playing a completely different console. Gears of War is truly a graphical beast running at 720p, and everything just feels better overall. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Now I just have to pay the dang thing off.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 04:35 PM

I just got this email. Suck it, MS haters:

Effective December 22, 2006, the Xbox 360 console warranty has been extended to one year from the date of purchase. The extended warranty applies to new customers and existing Xbox 360 owners.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 04:47 PM

Hahah. Sony rep says the PS3 kiosks freeze up because they're supposed to:

I spotted a Sony PlayStation retail rep frantically cleaning off the very same kiosk I had mentioned earlier. I wasn't going to let him get away.

"Happy Holidays," I said.

"Oh, hi! I'll be done here in one second and then I'll turn on the unit so you can get a glimpse of the future."

"Oh, I know all about it," I said, trying not to laugh. "I have the future at home. In my closet. Still in the box. Trying to sell it. No takers."

After a short, awkward silence, I decided to go in for the kill.

"So dude over there," I said pointing to the busy clerk, "says he keeps the kiosk off because it keeps freezing up."

"Nope. No it doesn't."

"Well, actually, yeah. It does. I've seen it happen myself."

"No. It doesn't. We did that on purpose," he said.

"You make the entire console lock up on purpose because ... why?"

"We do that so that people won't play it all day long," he explained. "Specifically during Motorstorm, we made it freeze up a lot."

I'm totally confused at this point, completely stunned at what I'm being told because it's the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. I let him rattle on for a while, trying to convince me (and probably himself) that yes, Sony went out of their way to have their consoles lock up so that the masses will not spend hours upon hours basking in all its glory.

He went on about how a PlayStation 3 shouldn't be hard to get now, and how they're shipping them out of Japan daily. I waited for him to spill the beans on the Cell processor powered, mechanized laser-breathing dragon they use to import the consoles to the States, but he revealed nothing.

When the Sony rep was done and finally turned on the future, I decided to stick around and play some Motorstorm (which is pretty damned awesome). Didn't freeze up on me once.

Later, I was told by a Best Buy employee that they were told the same thing -- the locking up and freezing was intentional. So, if you're sitting at home and your console locks up on you or your Bluetooth controllers aren't performing the way they should be, don't worry about it. It might be on purpose.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 04:49 PM

Hahaha, man reps do love to spin.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 04:50 PM

It's really too bad the technology they used to reset the ol' N64 display conoles back in the day isn't available anymore...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 07:38 PM

Oh awesome !!! so Microsoft offers a one year "extended" warranty, something you get by default from most electronic manufactures the world over. Praise microsoft for this wonderful manna it has bestowed upon its lemmings.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 28, 2006 at 07:52 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Oh awesome !!! so Microsoft offers a one year "extended" warranty, something you get by default from most electronic manufactures the world over. Praise microsoft for this wonderful manna it has bestowed upon it's lemmings.
It's just too bad that Microsoft didn't care enough to make the Xbox crash all the time so we won't play all day.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It's just too bad that Microsoft didn't care enough to make the Xbox crash all the time so we won't play all day.
They didnt ? ill never forget the first time i saw the original XBox at BestBuy....it was the first time i had ever seen a console fronzen with an error message displayed.

Great product and the manufacturer cares so much that they offer an "extended" one year warrant for FREE !! lol

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 07:52 PM

I really hope my 360 crashes a lot if I ever play Dead Rising. That way it will make my one allotted save that much more strategic to use.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 08:03 PM

They didnt ? ill never forget the first time i saw the original XBox at BestBuy....it was the first time i had ever seen a console fronzen with an error message displayed.
I don't think the original Xbox was necessarily high-quality hardware, but honestly, it's one of the few systems that has never crashed on me. NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation and Playstation 2 have all frozen up on me at one point or another, but not the Xbox as far as I can recall.
Chuck
___

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 08:19 PM

The 360 is in a position to hit the most consumers, not because of some MS conspiracy or dirty business practices but because they have the product that can appeal to the widest variety of likely buyers.

It has XBOX live.

You can hate MS all you want but the 360 is a great product. Period. It's success is in no way the result of anything other than a great team bringing a great product to market and letting everyone know how great it is.

One of the reasons I bought a Mac was an ideological one. I didn't like MS and I still don't.

Then I grew up.

Call it selfish if you want but life is too short to deprive ourselves of the enjoyment of something out of silly ideology. This isn't life or death, or environmental disaster, it's a GAME. If you like it buy it, if you don't…DON'T. It really is that simple.
THANK YOU smacintush.. its good to hear someone not babbling about being an 'ethical consumer' and actually realizing it's more about what's the better gaming machine than how friendly or morally correct the manufacturer is..

i'm not on mac because i hate MS, i'm on mac because i think it's a better product. actually there are many things about apple's attitude and service that i find arrogant and disappointing, but their hardware and their OS rock, so who the hell cares?

as it stands today, for a truly next-gen machine, Xbox 360 represents the best value, the best games, and the best AAA releases in the near future as well (long-term AAA future of PS3 is yet to be seen and impossible to judge), making it the most logical decision, unless wii is your kind of machine
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 08:29 PM

Oh awesome !!! so Microsoft offers a one year "extended" warranty, something you get by default from most electronic manufactures the world over. Praise microsoft for this wonderful manna it has bestowed upon its lemmings.
get over it man, seriously.. my 360 has frozen on me twice in a year, BIG FREAKING DEAL!! my SNES would freeze any time i bumped it with my foot. the same happened with my genesis.. my ps-one froze more times than i could count.. my first ps2 died and needed replacing.. im not complaining about my 360 with the likes of Gears of War, GRAW, R6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge to keep me company.. and Halo 3, Forza 2, Fable 2, Jade Empire 2, Mass Effect, Bioshock coming up.. the list goes on.

so if another machine freezes one less time per calendar year, suddenly it's the messiah of next-gen? please!!

joel_v
Dec 28, 2006, 09:33 PM

i bought a Wii on the midnight launch, and i love it.

i chose the Wii because a number of reasons.

The Wii is a revolutionary new console, it has re-defined the way consoles are viewed. The Wii is in a whole new class, compared to the other consoles, as it is not just another standard gaming machine with updated graphics (eg. xbox 360). The Wii-mote is motion sensitive, meaning interactive game-play, seen here.

The Nintendo Wii™ is not only a ground breaking console, but is also an amazingly fun console, seen here in Wii™ Sports. But the Wii is not only a fun console, it has some games to keep us FPS gamers happy. i bought Redsteel the other day, and it is an amazing FPS game, that utilizes a huge amount of potential that the Wii offers. Game-play within Redsteel varies with the use of guns to samurais. See preview here. Redsteel also has a multiplayer component to it aswell.

I believe the Wii™ is the best console for FPS, as its just like using the keyboard an mouse. But the Wii is not only a FPS console, there are plenty more exciting games to be played on the Wii. See Wii preview.

I honestly think this console is and will continue to do exceedingly well, not only because of its interactive gameplay, but because of its incredibly cheap price tag.

As far as i see it, it appears that Nintendo has adopted Apple's thinking, and produced a revolutionary, cool, and appealing new device. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

(sorry if it sounded like an advertisement)

WiiWantCricket: Website | Teaser Trailer

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by joel_v View Post
i bought a Wii on the midnight launch, and i love it.

i chose the Wii because a number of reasons.

The Wii is a revolutionary new console, it has re-defined the way consoles are viewed. The Wii is in a whole new class, compared to the other consoles, as it is not just another standard gaming machine with updated graphics (eg. xbox 360). The Wii-mote is motion sensitive, meaning interactive game-play, seen here.

The Nintendo Wii™ is not only a ground breaking console, but is also an amazingly fun console, seen here in Wii™ Sports. But the Wii is not only a fun console, it has some games to keep us FPS gamers happy. i bought Redsteel the other day, and it is an amazing FPS game, that utilizes a huge amount of potential that the Wii offers. Game-play within Redsteel varies with the use of guns to samurais. See preview here. Redsteel also has a multiplayer component to it aswell.

I believe the Wii™ is the best console for FPS, as its just like using the keyboard an mouse. But the Wii is not only a FPS console, there are plenty more exciting games to be played on the Wii. See Wii preview.

I honestly think this console is and will continue to do exceedingly well, not only because of its interactive gameplay, but because of its incredibly cheap price tag.

As far as i see it, it appears that Nintendo has adopted Apple's thinking, and produced a revolutionary, cool, and appealing new device. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

(sorry if it sounded like an advertisement)
it most certainly DID sound like an advertisement, but i'm glad you like your wii so much!! they're a very cool system..

a friend of mine got one for christmas (i'm from Melbourne as well), and i've spent most of my time playing wii sports (bowling kicks ass!!), and i'm very much looking forward to playing zelda.. they are almost a polar opposite of Xbox 360 (which i own), but very, very fun

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 09:43 PM

i bought Redsteel the other day, and it is an amazing FPS game, that utilizes a huge amount of potential that the Wii offers.
You lost all credibility at that point. And yes, you sounded like a press release.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 09:44 PM

It it not™ necessary to randomly™ place trademark symbols after words.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It it not™ necessary to randomly™ place trademark symbols after words.
It is a habit he picked up working at Nintendo.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 10:04 PM

maybe he's the Reggie we've all heard so much about

let him enjoy his wii, at least he's not calling PS3 and Xbox360 crap like all the other fanboys

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2006, 10:16 PM

The Wii-mote is motion sensitive, meaning interactive game-play, seen here.
Holy crap! You mean you can just move that "remote" thingie to control stuff on the screen?! Why didn't anyone mention that?!

I believe the Wii™ is the best console for FPS, as its just like using the keyboard an mouse.
If you were using the keyboard and mouse with your feet, maybe. I like the Wii for a lot of reasons, but so far it has totally failed to impress me when it comes to FPS. The whole "point and shoot" thing doesn't even begin to make up for the awkwardness of the control.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 10:28 PM

Holy crap! You mean you can just move that "remote" thingie to control stuff on the screen?! Why didn't anyone mention that?!

If you were using the keyboard and mouse with your feet, maybe. I like the Wii for a lot of reasons, but so far it has totally failed to impress me when it comes to FPS. The whole "point and shoot" thing doesn't even begin to make up for the awkwardness of the control.
definitely.. the motion, as nicely sensitive as it is, still doesnt relate to actual screen positions unless you're the right distance from your tv, which is a pity.. and you can only get to 4 buttons easily while moving, including the nunchuck buttons - FOUR!! for a lot of games this is fine but it definitely limits options.

on xbox 360 or PS3, when you include d-pad direction buttons / joystick-presses, you have access to 14 buttons, plus start and select, and the guide button in the middle, and ALL of these buttons are within easy thumb-reach while controlling a character with your analog stick. granted, the fun factor of a game does not rise and fall on how many buttons it uses, and for many people (non-gamers in particular) the lack of buttons on wii is a very GOOD thing, but for the rest of us something like the Xbox360/PS3 pad is perfect for our hardcore gaming needs

joel_v
Dec 28, 2006, 11:04 PM

haha. i can see everyones havin a bit of fun here. and thats good.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
You lost all credibility at that point. And yes, you sounded like a press release.
i knew i would, and i know the game got very bad reviews, but after actually playing it, i was impressed. Mainly because im not too fussed on graphics, and more concerned with gameplay.

Originally Posted by pyrite
at least he's not calling PS3 and Xbox360 crap like all the other fanboys
i wouldnt call myself a fanboy, im just interested in the Wii. A couple of months ago, i though nintendo was dead. but nevertheless, the wii is the only product i like actually like from nintendo.

and i dont think the PS3 and Xbox360 are crap. they are both very good consoles, with crazy good graphics, but as i said before. its not all about graphics for me.

Originally Posted by icruise
haha! i hear what your saying. and theres not doubt that keyboard and mouse is the best for FPS. but after playing with the remote and nunchuck, and getting used to it, i would have to say it comes close to the keyboard and mouse.
the reason some people write it off so quickly is because they are used to keyboard and mouse, or other controllers. but when you think back to when you first started playing FPS on the comp, theres no doubt that you weren't the best. You had to learn how to use it, with leading shots and etc.
Thats why im saying, people havent given it enough of a chance, to actually learn how to use it. because once you have, i can assure you, its pretty darn good.

WiiWantCricket: Website | Teaser Trailer

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

It's an EXTRA year. Christ, you really are a fanboy aren't you?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2006, 11:15 PM

First of all, everything I've read says that it's NOT an "extra year." They are extending the warranty of current Xboxes to 1 year -- not by 1 year.

And considering that Microsoft only gave people a 90-day warranty before (while the other companies had 1 year), and considering that Microsoft's own faulty hardware is the reason they are extending it in the first place, I don't really think they deserve a lot of patting on the back. Yes, it's good that they did it, but it's also what they should have done, given the circumstances.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 11:16 PM

Had Apple done this, people here would be praising them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
definitely.. the motion, as nicely sensitive as it is, still doesnt relate to actual screen positions unless you're the right distance from your tv, which is a pity.. and you can only get to 4 buttons easily while moving, including the nunchuck buttons - FOUR!! for a lot of games this is fine but it definitely limits options.

on xbox 360 or PS3, when you include d-pad direction buttons / joystick-presses, you have access to 14 buttons, plus start and select, and the guide button in the middle, and ALL of these buttons are within easy thumb-reach while controlling a character with your analog stick. granted, the fun factor of a game does not rise and fall on how many buttons it uses, and for many people (non-gamers in particular) the lack of buttons on wii is a very GOOD thing, but for the rest of us something like the Xbox360/PS3 pad is perfect for our hardcore gaming needs
Well if you want to count the d pad and "joystick presses" (whatever those are) on the other consoles, then you may as well count the "joystick presses" on the Wii as well (meaning the motion sensitive controller aspect). So we have 4 buttons, plus forward,back, up, down, left twist, right twist, move left, move right on two controllers (Wiimote and Nunchuck), so it seems that the Wii offers about 20 buttons and is the Wiinner of that contest.

Oh wait, I forgot, the Wiimore has a d-pad, and the nunchuck has an analog stick, so I guess that's another 8-10 buttons that can be pressed. Wow, it kicks the other consoles' tails!

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 11:25 PM

haha. i can see everyones havin a bit of fun here. and thats good.

i knew i would, and i know the game got very bad reviews, but after actually playing it, i was impressed. Mainly because im not too fussed on graphics, and more concerned with gameplay.

i wouldnt call myself a fanboy, im just interested in the Wii. A couple of months ago, i though nintendo was dead. but nevertheless, the wii is the only product i like actually like from nintendo.

and i dont think the PS3 and Xbox360 are crap. they are both very good consoles, with crazy good graphics, but as i said before. its not all about graphics for me.

haha! i hear what your saying. and theres not doubt that keyboard and mouse is the best for FPS. but after playing with the remote and nunchuck, and getting used to it, i would have to say it comes close to the keyboard and mouse.
the reason some people write it off so quickly is because they are used to keyboard and mouse, or other controllers. but when you think back to when you first started playing FPS on the comp, theres no doubt that you weren't the best. You had to learn how to use it, with leading shots and etc.
Thats why im saying, people havent given it enough of a chance, to actually learn how to use it. because once you have, i can assure you, its pretty darn good.

clearly you're a good sport and can take a bit of crap from ur fellow gamers

i'm glad u love ur wii, it's about time someone released an interesting new piece of technology for less than a squillion dollars.. nintendo, for that, and for Metroid, i salute you

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Well if you want to count the d pad and "joystick presses" (whatever those are) on the other consoles, then you may as well count the "joystick presses" on the Wii as well (meaning the motion sensitive controller aspect). So we have 4 buttons, plus forward,back, up, down, left twist, right twist, move left, move right on two controllers (Wiimote and Nunchuck), so it seems that the Wii offers about 20 buttons and is the Wiinner of that contest.

Oh wait, I forgot, the Wiimore has a d-pad, and the nunchuck has an analog stick, so I guess that's another 8-10 buttons that can be pressed. Wow, it kicks the other consoles' tails!
lol yeah, granted, the flexibitlity of the motion gives you a hell of a lot more than up/down/left/right.. i was referring to the number of buttons you can get to easily. sometimes pressing a button is a lot easier than twisting your wrist under your crotch to bring up a weapons menu.
a lot of the actual buttons on the wiimote are damn near impossible to press. the 1/2 buttons near the bottom of the remote are almost useless for intense gaming situations.

the 'joystick press' is an actual button btw, i'm referring to the fact that you can click your analog stick downwards on 360 and PS3!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2006, 11:58 PM

wow thats awesome. it's...incredible. (referring to a one year warranty and more buttons)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
ohh...someone can read minds. thats awesome !!

Had apple not offered one year (standard) warranty on it's products, there probably wouldnt be an Apple today and i wouldnt be a mac user. Which only goes to show what some ignorant fanboys are willing to put up with from their beloved Microsoft.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
the 1/2 buttons near the bottom of the remote are almost useless for intense gaming situations.
I have to agree on that one, i hate even using them in zelda.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 12:13 AM

Apple has done similar things -- like extending the warranty on iBooks that had motherboard problems. But again, it's not really something that deserves praise so much as something that should be expected.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2006, 12:15 AM

wow thats awesome. it's...incredible. (referring to a one year warranty and more buttons)

nice of you to post a pic of yourself

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:21 AM

Apple has done similar things -- like extending the warranty on iBooks that had motherboard problems. But again, it's not really something that deserves praise so much as something that should be expected.
So you're saying they all have a defect and they are covering their asses?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 12:34 AM

Not all, but a lot of people have commented on the problems that the early 360s have had. I would hope that they have resolved it by now.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:56 AM

Wasnt it a dodgy software update for the 360s that pretty much "broke" some of them ? and then Microsft had the odasity of charging the owners to get it fixed ? Maybe this is their business startegy for making money of the XB360s...they did it with Windows. it's a "proven" business model apparently. sell crap for below cost, then sell the fix for a really high price.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:59 AM

Looks like this thread will last for years!

So any Xbox 360 user actually uses his/her console as a media center? I do that from time to time, like streaming .WMV Podcast to my TV and listening to my playlist thru Connect360.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 01:10 AM

Let's recap:

MS extends their warranty and people sh*t on them.
Nintendo replaces straps and people praise them.

No, this isn't a tilted thread. Not at all.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2006, 01:21 AM

Wasnt it a dodgy software update for the 360s that pretty much "broke" some of them ? and then Microsft had the odasity of charging the owners to get it fixed ? Maybe this is their business startegy for making money of the XB360s...they did it with Windows. it's a "proven" business model apparently. sell craf for below cost, then sell the fix for a really high price.
holy crap man, give it a rest..

no, xbox 360 isn't a perfect console..
no, M$ are not a perfect company..
which is no different from Sony or Nintendo.

now PLEASE, crawl under a hole and leave us other people (with a more balanced view of the console war) alone. hating M$ does not make you ethically superior or more of a loyal mac user. it makes you a moron if it means you can't see a great quality product when it's sitting right in front of you

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 01:37 AM

Let's recap:

MS extends their warranty and people sh*t on them.
Nintendo replaces straps and people praise them.

No, this isn't a tilted thread. Not at all.
Surely you aren't saying that thin wrist straps is equal to having thousands of consoles die and then charging people to repair them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules