Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Up-Keep on New MacBook

Up-Keep on New MacBook
morriso311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 04:33 PM

ok...so im new to the forum but ive been readin so ive already learned a couple of good-to-know facts about my coming new MacBook. I recently purchased the White 13.3" MacBook with 2.0GHz...pretty happy with everything...i plan on keeping this thing for at least 2-3 years, and just keepin it updated with new software and such...heres my question :

what are the best ways you keep your white (or black) MacBooks clean?!...ive already purchased a keyboard cover and a screen cover, but im really looking for an "encasement" type thing...

also, if theres a smudge or somehtin on it, how do you go bout cleanin it effectively without side effects??...just trying to stay ahead of the game!

Thanks!

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 05:56 PM

anyone any ideas?...any cases yall particularly liek?

walkerjs
Mar 2, 2007, 10:56 PM

I use optical wipes to keep my white MB clean. The hand rests sometimes get a little darkened if I use the internal keyboard and optical wipes (the kind you get where you buy glasses) will quickly take that off. Good for the screen as well. Also you can get the optical cleaning solution and a glasses cloth (scratch free) if you can't get the wipes.

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 01:34 AM

awesome sounds good...i was just looking around and found different cases for the MacBooks and two that kinda jumped out at me were "bestcasesever" and "InvisibleShield" anyone have any experience with these or any others...im gonna treat this thing like my kid i swear..LOL!

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 3, 2007, 01:39 AM

Mr. Clean magic erasers work wonderfully to take the grime off of the wrist/trackpad area

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 02:40 AM

if you want some solid protection, here's a plastic case that encloses your entire computer:
The Apple Store (U.S.) - Speck SeeThru for 13-inch MacBook

it's sold at an apple store or online. personally, i think it makes the notebook too big, but it'll definitely protect it from dirt and scratches!

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 3, 2007, 05:47 AM

better than a plastic case is a clear shield (go to bestskinsever.com or shieldzone.com)

adds hardly any bulk and it will never come off accidentally
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 11:02 AM

I've got a Speck clear case, the Marware protection kit (wristrest and keyboard cover/screen cleaning cloth) and a trackpad cover from MobileJuice.
My Black MacBook looks new and I don't worry about scratches, discoloration, etc.
After a year or 2 of use, the trackpad on my iBook started to show some wear, so I wanted protection from day 1.
I'm happy with all 3 products.

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 11:30 AM

welll ate last night...i guess before all this...i went ahead and got a Speck Clear Case and i ordered a completely whita and plain MacStyles palm/wirst and button protector...I have a keyboard ProTouch thing on the way so i dont get ishh in the b-e-a-utiful keyboard...and i got a trackpad thing from MobileJuice...just in case i wanna use it??...i dunno bout a screen protector...what yall think?

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2007, 05:23 PM

I treat my Macbooks there way I treat my aging Volvo - wear them dents, smudges and bruises with pride!

Faceplant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 09:21 PM

Invisible shield is the only way. I am happy with mine. It works, and if you disagree with me, you are wrong!

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 10:39 PM

haha...well i got mine all padded up and adds almost no bulk at all!...so ill put pics up later if you dont believe me...it has a Speck clear case...macstyles wristpad protector...protouch keyboard cover...screen and touchpad covers if needed after extended usage ill reassess...and all above my targus cooling mat...works like a gem...and my notebook never gets hot!!

Ham Sandwich
Mar 5, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
I treat my Macbooks there way I treat my aging Volvo - wear them dents, smudges and bruises with pride!
I concur.

Some of you are treating the thing like it's about ready to get ready for a night out at a brothel or something.

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 11:46 AM

no...i mean i agree that somethin is really yours until it gets its first dent or whatev but i need this to last me well into med school and in order for anythin to last that long (esp a notebook) relative care needs to be taken...all im doin is covering the keyboard (eating)...the outside (scratches)...and the wrist-rests (discoloration complaints from everyone and their mom)...so how is this sgetting ready for a night out?!...i just dont got money to blow out my ass every 1-2 years...

Ham Sandwich
Mar 5, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by morriso311 View Post
no...i mean i agree that somethin is really yours until it gets its first dent or whatev but i need this to last me well into med school and in order for anythin to last that long (esp a notebook) relative care needs to be taken...all im doin is covering the keyboard (eating)...the outside (scratches)...and the wrist-rests (discoloration complaints from everyone and their mom)...so how is this sgetting ready for a night out?!...i just dont got money to blow out my ass every 1-2 years...
I have scratches on mine. The wrist rests look a little funky, too. I'm never planning on reselling it and neither of these things affect the usability of the computer. It's your money though, so, really - whatever you want to do.

I'm just saying, I think I've worn less protection on a one night stand.

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 01:07 PM

i dont like funky discolors..(non-white white mac??) but hey...i dont care what protection you wear and whatev...i like my mac to look good and stay functionable and it will need to do so for im gonna say 4-5 yrs...im not planning on resellin or anythin like that...i just like nice things

lcohen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 04:50 PM

And what would be a good product to remove scratches ?? Any tips ? Not deep ones.....

Thanks a lot,

Leonardo

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 11:58 PM

havent heard of anythin off hand...magic eraser does wonders on smudges and discolorationa nd junk but scratches i dont know bout really?

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2007, 05:43 PM

I have the Invisible Shield from Shieldzone.com installed on my Black 'Book and have no complaints whatsoever. It gives the Black 'Book a glossy finish finish rather instead of the factory matte look. I have the Red Speck SeeThru casing but thought it was too bulky for my taste. I am thinking about adding the iSkin for keyboard to reduce the smudges on the keys.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

morriso311  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 06:07 PM

the ProTouch keyboard cover for the MacBook works awesome...esp on the BlacBook im sure which is known for oily spots...but i do have ProTouch on my WhiteBook and i have 0 complaints....
White 13.3" MacBook 2.0GhZ
(Red) iPod Nano 4GB

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 02:13 AM

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, cheap trackpad cover? I just got the blackbook and I didn't really how easily the trackpad got shiny.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

328iGuy
Mar 7, 2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by muaddib420 View Post
if you want some solid protection, here's a plastic case that encloses your entire computer:
The Apple Store (U.S.) - Speck SeeThru for 13-inch MacBook

it's sold at an apple store or online. personally, i think it makes the notebook too big, but it'll definitely protect it from dirt and scratches!
I am using this on my Macbook and its awesome. You barely notice a difference in thickness, it's great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules