Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 95)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 04:11 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 05:02 PM

Good news, Ubi didn't achieve parity n AC:Unity
Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity • Eurogamer.net
what comes as a bit of a shock is that the Xbox One version frequently out-performs the PS4 game in more detail-rich areas, such as locations littered with NPCs in the packed Parisian streets. The opening clip in our video below perfectly demonstrates the difference between the two consoles. Wading through dozens of NPCs in a crowded square, performance drops down to around 20fps for a sustained duration on the PS4 while the Xbox One achieves a 5fps lead. In a later gameplay test traversing the rooftops, we see frame rates regularly fluctuate between 25-30fps across both consoles, but here the Xbox One game sticks more closely to the upper end of that spectrum than its Sony equivalent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 05:03 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Halo: The Master Chief Collection sees launch day matchmaking problems | Ars Technica
Jesus Christ, MS, you're the experts and this is you flagship title for the year.

These ****in' companies. Hats of to Bungie's Destiny roll out.
Yeah, Bungie's launch day roll out history has been impressive compared to other companies. I'm looking at you DICE!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Nov 12, 2014, 06:43 AM

In honor or the AC:U release:

Ubisoft Game: The Review | games.on.net
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 09:55 AM

God bless Ubisoft.

Meanwhile, at Ubisoft…

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 09:57 AM

P
Nov 12, 2014, 10:59 AM

Ubisoft continues to shower themselves in glory, it seems.

Here's an idea: if the game isn't ready, AND you have another game in the franchise coming out THE SAME DAY, how about delaying launch?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 11:15 AM

The idea of making a dedicated next-gen game was a very gamer-centric idea. However in their effort to achieve something impossible on last-gen systems, they made something impossible on this-gen systems. And then released it anyway.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I heard that Master Chief isn't the primary character in Halo 5, he's only playable for like 10% of the game. That's lame.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 12:39 PM

I really should thank UBi.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2014, 03:40 PM

I really should thank UBi.
I laughed out loud at that.

These AC GIFs are amazing.

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Sd0F...xK4NQY.0.0.gif

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 03:52 PM

Posting this for later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkzIGSyjLQ#t=159

Apparently their stock took a 9% beating in EU.

P
Nov 12, 2014, 05:01 PM

Down 9.3% with an average 1.5% down for that exchange. I guess those glitch shots make good news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 05:02 PM

Yes they do. I think Ubi gets a temporary hold on the "Worst Games Publisher." (Never count out EA)

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2014, 02:29 AM

DESPERATION
Xbox One Available for $349 Starting November 2; Up to $150 in Savings

Dropped $150 in a year. This is absurd.
It gets better! Target has the 500GB Assassains Creed Unity and Black Flag bundle for sale on Black Friday for $329.99 and you get a $50 Target gift card. Hot damn!
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Nov 13, 2014 at 02:51 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 10:20 AM

Sony previews upcoming PlayStation Vue cloud TV service

They beat MS to the punch. How in the hell did they beat MS to the punch?

P
Nov 13, 2014, 10:46 AM

Yes they do. I think Ubi gets a temporary hold on the "Worst Games Publisher." (Never count out EA)
They were "Worst PC game publisher" already, but I guess that this is news for the console gamers. Come to think of it, doesn't console games have to be certified by the platform owner? If so, how could anyone certify this broken PoS?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If so, how could anyone certify this broken PoS?
This was brought up on NeoGAF as well. I think the simple answer is they are too afraid to antagonize the publishers. I could see an argument that they could ignore glitches 'within' the game, but something that hard crashes to the OS is not cert worthy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 10:55 AM

I also think there's a possibility that publishers say to MS/Sony, "We'll iron that out in the Day 1 patch."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 13, 2014, 11:03 AM

You can favorite up to 500 series; then the favorites option will let you know whether there are any upcoming episodes, as well those you missed that you can go back and catch up on. That's possible because for any show you favorite, all episodes will be saved in your cloud-based DVR.
I have no cable or satellite service. I have an EyeTV on my iMac to DVR OTA shows, but it's unreliable and sucks. This "cloud-based DVR" could be a legit alternative to Hulu for keeping up with current-season episodes. Even if it retains the original broadcast commercials, it can't be worse than Hulu playing the same 2 commercials 8 times during a 20 minute show.

P
Nov 13, 2014, 11:21 AM

This was brought up on NeoGAF as well. I think the simple answer is they are too afraid to antagonize the publishers. I could see an argument that they could ignore glitches 'within' the game, but something that hard crashes to the OS is not cert worthy.
I suspect that there's a difference between Ubisoft and Joe's Indie Developer. If Ubisoft releases a broken multiplat game, Ubi's stock takes a dive. If the Xboxstation 4 gets a rep as having broken games, the console manufacturer suffers.

Also: Do the games crash to the OS? Because at least the Xbox and probably Playstation as well run in Ring 0, ie with full privileges, so there is nothing stopping a game from taking down the entire OS. Well, OK, they work with hardware virtual memory, so it's not like Classic Mac OS where you could crash the OS by just dereferencing an uninitialized pointer, but the GPU runs around in shared memory space, so what is stopping it from, I don't know, loading a texture all over the kernel program code or something.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 12:21 PM

HYPE

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 01:12 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2014, 03:58 PM

Hoooolyyyyy crap...

But there's always the elephant in the room: data caps.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2014, 04:30 PM

HYPE
LOL! I want to try that.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 04:31 PM

The chain reaction withe buses is great.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
But there's always the elephant in the room: data caps.
What % of americans have those? I thought the major ISPs claim those don't exist.

With a little luck those will be barred soon anyway.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2014, 07:06 PM

What % of americans have those? I thought the major ISPs claim those don't exist.

I have a great connection with Suddenlink, but my data cap is 350GB per month (up+down). We exceed it by 50-100GB every single month, resulting in $10-20 added to our bill (toddlers love Netflix, especially one show repeated 80 times).

It's going to take some serious action to get data caps eliminated, and I don't see that unless municipal Internet becomes a widespread threat to ISPs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2014, 10:36 AM

Crashing a car and getting ejected in GTA, first person:

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 14, 2014, 11:13 AM

Ouch.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 14, 2014, 12:08 PM

ISPs are phasing them in more officially (as opposed to the old throttle-after-a-certain-point method). Now that consumers agree to the cap when they sign up, it's no longer a legal gray area, but totally legit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
ISPs are phasing them in more officially (as opposed to the old throttle-after-a-certain-point method). Now that consumers agree to the cap when they sign up, it's no longer a legal gray area, but totally legit.
Lord.

---

Far Cry 4 reviews coming in are looking good. Next-gen FC3, pretty much. Nothing revolutionary, nothing broken.

Planetside 2 got brought up again, they're announcing the beta at some conference in December, so I guess it's barely releasing this year. 1080p60, supposedly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2014, 02:01 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2014, 04:39 PM

Bf4 Final Stand coming out same day as GTA V. Thanks, guys.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2014, 05:06 AM

Lord.
https://mediacomcable.com/site/internet.html

150GB cap for the 3Mb level, 350GB at 50Mb, and up to 3000GB for the 150Mb. Anyone signing a new contract agrees to the caps, not sure how they handle renewing contracts.

We use 75-150GB/month. The TV only comes on after The Little One is in bed, so we don't stream as much as we used to.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 15, 2014, 08:22 AM

Comcast has some caps that they are "testing." Verizon has some as well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2014, 12:36 PM

November will be interesting. MS are already bragging about the first 2 weeks : Microsoft sees Xbox One sales triple after console price cut - CNET

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2014, 12:39 PM

My Xbox One's hard drive already sounds like a crackling fire, and that's under less than ten hours of use. Going to have to return it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2014, 08:10 PM

Well, they took the XB1 back (malfunctioning hard drive), but there were no other Special Editions in stock, so I just got my money back. I wasn't impressed enough to get another one, so I suppose that experiment is over.

Crashing a car and getting ejected in GTA, first person:
That's strangely disturbing.

Far Cry 4 reviews coming in are looking good. Next-gen FC3, pretty much. Nothing revolutionary, nothing broken.
This seems to be the status quo, doesn't it? I'm wondering if we've plateaued as far as significant graphical developments are concerned.

Planetside 2 got brought up again, they're announcing the beta at some conference in December, so I guess it's barely releasing this year. 1080p60, supposedly.
I was just wondering about it the other day. I saw another article (can't track it down now) that stated they believe the full release won't come until next year.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
November will be interesting. MS are already bragging about the first 2 weeks : Microsoft sees Xbox One sales triple after console price cut - CNET
Take $50 off your console, and it'll sell, but December will go to PS4.

I'm convinced Microsoft had the one-week sale just so they could avoid being outsold every month of the year.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2014, 05:30 AM

so I suppose that experiment is over.
I hope you believe that, because no one else does.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2014, 12:33 PM

I hope you believe that, because no one else does.
Then that makes none of us.

The only good news is that I come out even this time around.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2014, 04:48 PM

The solo of Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is really quite good.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2014, 05:43 AM

Since I have so much down time I got back into WoW to check out the new Warlords of Draenor expansion, and I have to say that it's been a nice diversion. I used the level 90 character boost to get my main toon up to speed, it was stuck back at level 80 (I quit back during Wrath of the Lich King), and then dove right in. Been in for ~10 hours of play time and the content has been excellent, all very well written with tons of iconic NPCs from WC2 and 3 involved in the story arc. Also the new game features like garrisons and followers seem like just the kind of thing the game needed to give it more atmosphere and character resources. I won't say I'm hooked, when I'm back on my feet I may not have time for it, but so far it's been damned fun. If you used to play and are looking for something to do, this could be it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Nov 17, 2014, 06:34 AM

This seems to be the status quo, doesn't it? I'm wondering if we've plateaued as far as significant graphical developments are concerned.
There is some of that, but there is also the fact that this generation's consoles are not the powerhouses that the last gen's were. The Xbox 360 used a GPU design that wasn't even on the market yet and a powerful tri-core 3.2 GHz CPU when the CPUs on the market were mostly singlecore with a dual here and there, clocked at much the same speed. The PS3 used an upper-midrange GPU for its day, but combined it with a crazy special throughput based CPU meant to do much of the GPU work. Matching that with a gaming PC at the time was expensive at best, and arguably impossible with the Cell in the PS3.

By comparison, the Xbone took an off-the-shelf $140 GPU that was getting old and paired it with a CPU of 8 weak cores at a clock far below that of PC CPUs at the time. The PS4 used the same CPU and an old off-the-shelf GPU, but at least moved up the range a little ($180 or so at launch). Matching that with a gaming PC is trivial - a Core i3 and something like a 270X is enough, and you can easily double everything in that computer without getting into the seriously diminishing returns of multi-GPU cards and repurposed server CPUs.
( Last edited by P; Nov 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2014, 10:14 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2014, 10:37 AM

By comparison, the Xbox360 took an off-the-shelf $140 GPU
Xbone?

Oculus. Oculus. Oculus. Oculus.

P
Nov 17, 2014, 11:12 AM

Xbone?
Yes. Corrected it now, thanks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I's a lose/lose for them. If they win november everyone points to the absurd price. If they lose – well, losing isn't really an option.

There is some of that, but there is also the fact that this generation's consoles are not the powerhouses that the last gen's were. The Xbox 360 used a GPU design that wasn't even on the market yet and a powerful tri-core 3.2 GHz CPU when the CPUs on the market were mostly singlecore with a dual here and there, clocked at much the same speed. The PS3 used an upper-midrange GPU for its day, but combined it with a crazy special throughput based CPU meant to do much of the GPU work. Matching that with a gaming PC at the time was expensive at best, and arguably impossible with the Cell in the PS3.
A not-so-subtle reminder that last gen was a huge graphical leap going from 640x480 to trying to hit 720p. Though I think mathematically jumping to 1080p is even more taxing.

Oculus. Oculus. Oculus. Oculus.
NO, that's fine. But driving first-person? Awful. The FOV is terrible and turning your head with a joystick is wonky. Oculus desperately needed there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2014, 11:26 AM

NeoGAF would like a word with you.

Also, again, we keep upping the amount pixels we need to push while expecting better lighting, draw distances, increased items, better textures, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules