Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > advice on macbook return/repair

advice on macbook return/repair
hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 14, 2006, 02:11 PM

My week 33 white Macbook 2.0 CD has started to have a pretty bad backlight flicker both on battery power and plugged in (in fact, it's doing it as I type this post). I wanted to see what other people had experienced when taking their 'books into the apple store. Is it very likely that I could receive a replacement (this would be the 2nd replacement for this computer, the first was for a dead key), or will I have to have them send it off? I know I should go in and find out for myself, but I was just curious as to what I should expect. I don't expect to get a C2D out of the deal, just an exact replacement. I guess the reason I ask is, I can't afford to be without it for more than a day or so as I use it for school on a daily basis.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
My week 33 white Macbook 2.0 CD has started to have a pretty bad backlight flicker both on battery power and plugged in (in fact, it's doing it as I type this post). I wanted to see what other people had experienced when taking their 'books into the apple store. Is it very likely that I could receive a replacement (this would be the 2nd replacement for this computer, the first was for a dead key), or will I have to have them send it off? I know I should go in and find out for myself, but I was just curious as to what I should expect. I don't expect to get a C2D out of the deal, just an exact replacement. I guess the reason I ask is, I can't afford to be without it for more than a day or so as I use it for school on a daily basis.
Most likely they will send it out for a repair... I'm going to need to bring in mine for the screen flickering... I just don't feel comfortable parting with it at this point... But usually they take between 1 & 2 weeks total to fix it...

The best thing you could hope for is that the Apple store can fix it in house, so they can order the part (and you can hold on to it while the part is delivered)...

To be honest, my biggest concern right now is that at least 1 other person (I would guess more) had the part replaced, but the problem continued... Being that the flickering is random, it's hard to proove that the problem persists when you bring it in a second time only to have them tell you 'no such problem exists'...

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 03:34 PM

put up with it until christmas break. (just a suugestion)
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 02:31 AM

The fastest turn around time I have seen on a repair is 3 days. I gave Apple my MacBook on Monday and I got it back on Wednesday. The only problem was that the repair was very shoddy and the MacBook ended up with new problems. Since I picked it up at the Apple Store, they sent it in for another repair. I got a hold of a Titanium Powerbook 400 Mhz as my backup computer. It runs Firefox and MS Office quite smoothly and that is enough to get me by for school.

Forum Links
Forum Rules