Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone in Canada

iPhone in Canada
studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 02:33 PM

For those of you interested: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...o&refer=canada

I find it hard to believe that Apple isn't in a hurry to sell the thing here. Me thinks that the Rogers's guy isn't telling everything.....Like, a $200.00/month data plan or something.

So my fellow Canadians, what do you think?

later.....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 04:18 PM

Whatever. I've had mine for a month here in toronto on Rogers.

I'd rather buy it in the US and software or Hardware unlock it over paying 15% sales tax and locking myself into a 2 year contract.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 09:49 PM

Yep, Rogers isn't in the same boat as AT&T; they're the only game in town that can support the iPhone so they'll totally rape anyone who buys the phone with a Rogers contract.

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 11:22 PM

With the software unlock already available, and certain to be reduced to a one-click process in the next few days, you can bet it will be relatively easy to get and use one here in Canada, provided you're already on Rogers or Fido.

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 01:11 AM

I'm all over getting one. Just need to get to the States this weekend....

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks guys. I would be really surprised if Apple wants to miss the holiday buying season that is coming fast. And with the price drop, it's a given that it would sell well. I think that the hold up can be put on Rogers laps. Jobs is not going to put up with a data plan that is out of reach of people. For me, I'm not going to get one in the US and screw around with it to make it work here in Canada. I'll just wait.

Later.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by studgrade View Post
For me, I'm not going to get one in the US and screw around with it to make it work here in Canada. I'll just wait.

Later.
Weird. You'd rather wait longer and pay more + put yourself in a contract rather than taking a few minutes to unlock it?

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 11:26 AM

So it looks like I'll be heading to Buffalo on the weekend to pick up an iPhone...or two...
Anyone have a better idea (i.e. less time consuming but relatively close price) way of getting my hands on one?

Also, just to confirm, I can turn off Edge access when I want to help avoid paying Rogers teir ridiculous data rates, right? Anything else I should know about using an iPhone on the Rogers network?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post
So it looks like I'll be heading to Buffalo on the weekend to pick up an iPhone...or two...
Anyone have a better idea (i.e. less time consuming but relatively close price) way of getting my hands on one?

Also, just to confirm, I can turn off Edge access when I want to help avoid paying Rogers teir ridiculous data rates, right? Anything else I should know about using an iPhone on the Rogers network?
I just went to buffalo also and got 2 phones plus a headset which we didn't claim coming over the border. You can get them on ebay but you have to pay a markup.

Yes you can easily turn off edge but Rogers now offers you 10 megs for $10 which is fine for emails and google mapping.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 11:43 AM

Yeah, but you also paid $ for the unlock (plus the free unpaid service of your techie friend), and one wonders what will happen with subsequent updates. (However, the hardware method you've used may be less susceptible to updates than the software methods.)

So while your method is a good method for some, it's neither as cheap nor as easy as you make it sound. In fact, you mentioned that a friend of yours bricked his setup simply by removing his SIM card.

That said, after that price drop I'd consider it... if the iPhone were 16 GB.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, but you also paid $ for the unlock (plus the free unpaid service of your techie friend), and one wonders what will happen with subsequent updates. (However, the hardware method you've used may be less susceptible to updates than the software methods.)

So while your method is a good method for some, it's neither as cheap nor as easy as you make it sound. In fact, you mentioned that a friend of yours bricked his setup simply by removing his SIM card.

That said, after that price drop I'd consider it... if the iPhone were 16 GB.
Ya me and my friends I paid $100 for the hardware unlock and the iPhone at full price and it was damn worth it. And now we even get $100 back which made the unlock free! My friend did do much of the card hacking myself but I could have done it on my own if I wanted to. It is Really really hard for apple to ever block this sim hack unlike the software unlock. Even if they do I can just stick with the current OS till they crack it again.

On top of that I got it cheaper my route then when it comes to Canada as I don't have to switch providers, no 2 year contract, no 14% sales tax and the exchange rate is fantastic.

And my friend didn't "Brick" anything. The Sim card hack we used is a thin little card that fits over a sim. We told him not to take it out once he put it in. he didn't listen and probably damaged the SIM card but the iPhone itself works fine minus the cell functions. He just got the free software unlock the other day anyway. His stupid mistake but it isn't common.

So in the end there is no reason to wait for Canada to get the phone as you will just pay more and be in a contract. Heck your provider probably won't offer it anyway so you are going to have to lock it one way or another. You just get to wait months for that extra 8 gigs you desperately need.

And yes it is as cheap and easy as I make it sound. I've done it with 4 phones now.

$399 US +8% NY sales tax. = $471 CAN.
No Contact.
Then run the simple software hack...FREE.
Sounds pretty cheap and easy to me.

Or you can wait till it comes in Canada.

$415 + 15% tax = 473 Can. And the 2 year contact is free! Since you aren't on rogers you will have to hack it or switch anyway.
That is when and if Rogers Canada ever gets it.
So you end up paying $2 more, have to run the hack anyway or get a nice contract.

I don't see much benefit in waiting for the second method at all. If you need 16 gigs that's fine but buying in the US is still the smarter route for anyone who wants the current model.

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:13 PM

And just to confirm, other than the iphone itself and the iunlock software, I won't need anything else right? No AT&T sim card?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 05:46 PM

I may be heading down to the States to pick one of these babies up after all.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 07:01 PM

Ya me and my friends I paid $100 for the hardware unlock and the iPhone at full price and it was damn worth it. And now we even get $100 back which made the unlock free! My friend did do much of the card hacking myself but I could have done it on my own if I wanted to. It is Really really hard for apple to ever block this sim hack unlike the software unlock. Even if they do I can just stick with the current OS till they crack it again.
Been there, done that... and I really don't like that. I'd rather just save the money than pay full price just to be behind the update curve.

There are mitigating factors, but this is one negative I've dealt with for software updates, etc.

Ybot
Sep 14, 2007, 04:38 PM

I am using my newly unlocked iPhone here in Canada (Winnipeg, to be exact) on the Robbers network. Seeing as how I am a data monger I upgraded to the 500mb plan for $210/month. Insane? Yes. Worth it? You bet! If you can afford this, it's a great machine. I just wish Rogers would cave to Apple's demands. Make a special iPhone unlimited data plan (like Fido's $20/month Hiptop plan) and launch the thing! In the mean time I am paying quite a bit for this privilege but it's worth it to me!

ooninay
Sep 14, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ybot View Post
I am using my newly unlocked iPhone here in Canada (Winnipeg, to be exact) on the Robbers network. Seeing as how I am a data monger I upgraded to the 500mb plan for $210/month. Insane? Yes. Worth it? You bet! If you can afford this, it's a great machine. I just wish Rogers would cave to Apple's demands. Make a special iPhone unlimited data plan (like Fido's $20/month Hiptop plan) and launch the thing! In the mean time I am paying quite a bit for this privilege but it's worth it to me!
Ybot, did you have to replace the SIM with a Rogers one or does the one that comes with the iPhone work?

Rio_mang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 12:14 AM

Heh... its coming soon .

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rio_mang View Post
Heh... its coming soon .
Can you elaborate a bit more buddy?

Later.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya me and my friends I paid $100 for the hardware unlock and the iPhone at full price and it was damn worth it. And now we even get $100 back which made the unlock free! ...
You can't get the rebate unless you've signed up with AT&T.

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2007, 01:21 PM

Planning to buy an iPhone for use in Canada but don't want to lock into a contract with Rogers. Can I pick up a pay as you go phone to get the SIM and activate an unlocked iPhone that way?

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm guessing this is more of a rogers issue, mostly the data. If rogers gets the iphone, apple will probably stipulate that like at&t rogers has to sell the iphone with an unlimited data plan(which doesn't exist at any carrier in Canada). Rogers would have to cave in to realistic data rates rather than gouging it's customers at $1 per MB per month like it does now.

Currently the best data plan you can get in Canada is a special Blackberry plan at Rogers for $200 a month, and you get 200mb of data a month.

Ybot
Sep 16, 2007, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ooninay View Post
Ybot, did you have to replace the SIM with a Rogers one or does the one that comes with the iPhone work?
I had to use my Rogers SIM

ooninay
Sep 16, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ybot View Post
I had to use my Rogers SIM
Okay, thanks. And greetings from a (recently) former-Winnipeger!

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2007, 10:02 AM

Have a working iPhone in Toronto but having trouble connecting to the OneZone network. Anyone else have any issues with this network? All my other wifi is working...

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 02:02 AM

Unlocked and loving the phone. Amazing.
BTW, if ay Torontonians are in the market for one, let me know. (I bought a couple..)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I'm guessing this is more of a rogers issue, mostly the data. If rogers gets the iphone, apple will probably stipulate that like at&t rogers has to sell the iphone with an unlimited data plan(which doesn't exist at any carrier in Canada). Rogers would have to cave in to realistic data rates rather than gouging it's customers at $1 per MB per month like it does now.

Currently the best data plan you can get in Canada is a special Blackberry plan at Rogers for $200 a month, and you get 200mb of data a month.
Rogers has a $10 10 meg plan which I am finding more than enough for constant emailing and google maps.

Actually rogers even gave it to me for free.

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Rogers has a $10 10 meg plan which I am finding more than enough for constant emailing and google maps.

Actually rogers even gave it to me for free.

How? I was going to call them to have it added to my plan later today...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post
How? I was going to call them to have it added to my plan later today...
I really just complained that they has such shitty plans as my $20 add on package already includes 5 megs that get scrapped if I add more plus I never use the included picture messaging (doens't work on the iphone either) so they gave me the $10 10 meg in exchange to remove the picture messaging.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 08:20 PM

I going over to the States at the end of the month and I picking up one for myself. My local Rogers store said they will sell me a Sim card for 25$ and I can pick any plan I want (or pay as you go) and I don't need a stupid contract. That's sounds even better than if Rogers had the iphone for sale already.
My only problem was if Apple is going to update the phone to 16gig sometime soon. From what I read, it seems more likely in the spring.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 02:54 PM

I would be really surprised if Apple wants to miss the holiday buying season that is coming fast.
Not only do I predict that Apple will miss the holiday season with an iPhone launch. I believe that we won't see a Canadian iPhone for a few years or possibly even longer. Once the hype of the iPhone has died down and it's no longer the "must have phone," then I could see Apple bending a little bit and being more flexible. Apple is very stubborn and I could see this stretching out for many years. Which is why I'm not holding out. I'll just buy the phone and unlock it.
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Oct 11, 2007 at 01:21 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 05:52 PM

I have been waiting many years for a device to incorporate my phone, ipod, pda and that it works perfectly with my mac. I am going over the border to get one and 400$ is not much for 3 devices in one. It just not surprising that both Apple and Rogers don't seem to care for Canadian customers.

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dvenne View Post
It just not surprising that both Apple and Rogers don't seem to care for Canadian customers.
You're right, it's not surprising. It's the same reason why the iTunes Store took over a year to cross the border, and the same reason we still can't buy TV shows on it: market size. The European market is a fraction of the US market (to Apple), and the Canadian market is in turn a fraction of that. Apple follows the money.

While I suspect that per-capita, Canadians would buy the iPhone in higher quantities than Americans, all Apple cares about are total unit sales. And you can't blame them, they're a company with shareholders to please.

Noah said it best: Apple is stubborn enough to wait it out until whatever deal they make is beneficial for them.

I was all gung-ho about crossing the border and getting an iPhone after the price drop, but now with the impending update that will probably re-lock the phone and has iPod touch-like security which has yet to be jailbroken, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:14 PM

It just not surprising that both Apple and Rogers don't seem to care for Canadian customers.
I agree with many of the above comments.

Rogers is making money hand over fist on their high rate data plans, as are Bell and Telus. Fido actually had an unlimited plan which was killed iirc. People who need mobile internet have no choice but to pay these outrageous prices. It is price fixing really.

Enter Apple. Apple is extremely concerned with the user experience. Part of the user experience of the iPhone is the use of EDGE. Customers who use an iPhone would be extremely unhappy with paying $100 - $300 per month for data, and Apple won't sign a deal that spoils the user experience.

Rogers/Fido, with their GSM monopoly, have no real incentive to lower their data plans for the iPhone. They know people who need the mobile net are going to bend over and pay their current rates... they have no choice. In order to sign with Apple Rogers would have to lose money to unlimited plans, and also lose money giving a percentage of the monthly plan revenue to Apple. Why would a monopoly making huge profits do this?

Add all that to the fact that Canada's population is 33 million.

The UK is around 61 million.

Germany is 82 million.

France is 64 million.

Japan is 127 million.

Hell, South Korea is almost 50 million.

We are doubly screwed by the Rogers monopoly, and being a small market.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Canadian iPhone anytime soon.

The Touch is looking better and better sadly.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 02:16 PM

Since the canadian Dollar is on par with the US dollar not to mention the US has less sales tax you'd be stupid to wait for Rogers to get it just so you can pay more and put yourself in a contract. Plus I don't think it is going to get here till MAYBE Xmax but probably earlyish next year.

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all your input guys. I decided to wait until Macworld San Fran to see what will happen with Rogers and Apple. Maybe it will be on sale by that time. Maybe a version 2 of the iPhone will also be out. I would rather go the "legitimate" route about this. But, if by that time there's no sign of life here in Canada, I'll go get it in New Hampshire.

Later...

zoomin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 01:33 PM

I have a Blackberry on Rogers with a data plan that my employer pays. I had thought it was *unlimited* but I am guessing it's more like the 200MB/month plan that is discussed here (is that Mb or MB ?).

If I pop my SIM card out of the BB and put it in an unlocked iPhone, would I get data service?

Thanks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by zoomin View Post
I have a Blackberry on Rogers with a data plan that my employer pays. I had thought it was *unlimited* but I am guessing it's more like the 200MB/month plan that is discussed here (is that Mb or MB ?).

If I pop my SIM card out of the BB and put it in an unlocked iPhone, would I get data service?

Thanks.
No. BB data plans are different. The highest Rogers offers for normal phones is 10 megs for $10.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2007, 08:21 AM

I bought a iPhone, unlocked it and put a Rogers sim card in. My big surprise is that Rogers will forced you in a 3 year contract. You can go month-to-month but those plan cost a lot if you plan on talking a lot. So I was frustrated with Rogers from the start. I haven't signed up for 3 years yet but I suspect Rogers will win and I will have to. Great phone from Apple but getting rip off by my favorite company... Rogers

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2007, 08:33 PM

Can you tell us more about how much it costs for a month to month plan? How about a 3 year contract? How much.? Did Rogers give the sim card? What did Rogers say when you told them that you had a iPhone to put on their service? Questions...Questions..

Thanks

Later

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 04:58 PM

I bought a iPhone, unlocked it and put a Rogers sim card in. My big surprise is that Rogers will forced you in a 3 year contract. You can go month-to-month but those plan cost a lot if you plan on talking a lot. So I was frustrated with Rogers from the start. I haven't signed up for 3 years yet but I suspect Rogers will win and I will have to. Great phone from Apple but getting rip off by my favorite company... Rogers
What in the world are you going on about? Rogers doesn't force anyone into a 3 year contract unless you want to.

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 09:04 PM

Ok guys. Just got off the phone with Rogers. A girl called to ask me about my satisfaction about Rogers services and other things. Of course, I couldn't help but ask her about the iPhone. Here's the bad news: They don't see it out until July 2008 here in Canada. She explained to me that the problems that cause the delay are: It's got to be builingual, it's got to be checked for security, (whatever that means), and that their system is not quite ready for all the features, (visual voicemail perhaps ?).

I also told her about people buying the phone in the US and having Rogers puting a SIm card in it. She wasn't aware of that. That being said, she put me on hold to go talk to her boss about that. She came back saying that if the iPhone is unlock, yeah they can put a Sim card in it, but they won't guaranty that it's going to work.

I finally told her that Rogers should put out a press release or something into the public to tell potential iPhone customers that we will have to wait until mid next year. I tried to explain to her that the majority of would be buyers are in the dark about Apple's and Roger's plans on a release date.

So that's it. No iPhone before July 2008.

Later.

Mocha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 09:26 PM

I'm with Bell and am willing to switch to Rogers as my contract was up in Sept. I was hoping that Canada would be on-board by now, and am considering picking up a phone south of the border as the dollar is now at par. If there is a way to unlock a 1.1.1 phone, I will switch to Rogers, but their current data plans are astronomically expensive. Rogers will have to rethink that or it will kill the iPhone in canada in short order.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 11, 2007, 01:19 AM

My new iPhone should be arriving in the next week or so. The following are some of the reasons I decided not to wait for Apple and Rogers:

- Rogers will likely set the entry level iPhone plan at a high monthly rate. Something like $79 per month... Which is way more then I would ever be willing to pay. I currently pay $30 per month and this is the most I'd be willing to pay for a monthly plan. So why wait to be forced to pay twice this ammount or more?
- Rogers and Apple have yet to agree to terms or announce the iPod for Canada. We could be waiting for one year or possibly even longer. We're still waiting for the iTunes movie store in Canada and does anyone remember how long it took the iTunes music store to come here... A very long time...
- iPhones are currently available across the border at reasonable prices due to the strong Canadian dollar. Just unlock it and you're set!
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 09:40 AM

I know, I know....I've got to much time on my hands. But, this morning I got with my newspaper a flyer for Rogers. You can use "Live Video Calling" with the LG Shine. Could it be a service that could come with the iPhone when it starts selling here up north ? Would the iPhone be able to do this ? Anybody here that already uses this service ?

Questions, questions......
Later.....

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 10:27 AM

My Bell rep at work offered me a $65/month (taxes, fees included) plan for a Blackberry at 250min/8MB data. It's either that or I can slap on a data plan of $40/8MB, $60/30MB, or $100/1GB onto an existing plan

Either way, we get screwed on data plans by the carriers... I have a feeling once the iPhone is released here, I might probably just get a Pearl.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 11:12 AM

I know, I know....I've got to much time on my hands. But, this morning I got with my newspaper a flyer for Rogers. You can use "Live Video Calling" with the LG Shine. Could it be a service that could come with the iPhone when it starts selling here up north ? Would the iPhone be able to do this ?
iPhone has a camera...on the rear of the display.

If you can figure out how the iPhone could do live video calling, be sure to inform your local quantum physics department.

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

If you can figure out how the iPhone could do live video calling, be sure to inform your local quantum physics department.
Well duh!!!! That was a supid question on my part. Didn't think about that for a minute. I'll shut up now....

Later.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 03:25 PM

heh.

studgrade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 09:01 AM

I know Macworld is coming...but anybody's got any tidbits of news, rumors about when the damn thing is coming up north?

Later

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

Like this, but smaller...

Forum Links
Forum Rules