Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > R.i.p.

R.i.p.
Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 01:31 AM

I'd like to ask for a little minute of silence in honor of my first iPod which gave up the ghost tonight at approximately 10:48 PM, MT after two years of faithful service.

Now, if I wasn't three weeks from buying an iPhone, I might be upset by this development. I still have my wife/daughter's Nano soldiering on after a little over a year of very, very light use, but I'm wondering:

What's your iPod track record?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 02:04 AM

30GB iPod still works - battery not the best but use it more as a HD than as a player as I have an old skool 1GB Shuffle that gets abused everyday - no issues other than earphones
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2008, 03:52 AM

1st-generation 5GB iPod w/ mechanical scroll wheel is over SIX YEARS old now and still working. Last I bothered testing battery life (I usually just have it hooked up to the 12V car adapter), I was still getting 4 to 5 hours of battery life - on the original battery!

AFAIC, those "let's-sue-Apple-because-a-handful-of-iPod-batteries-died-after-18-months" guys were completely full of ****.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 09:04 AM

My first (second?) gen 10GB iPod works great. Love the full-size firewire port!
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 09:58 AM

My wife still has a second-gen I bought here in the summer of '03. Still working great. She has a much newer one though, but she's happy to keep both: one iPod for classical music, one for regular.

ooninay
Jun 15, 2008, 10:40 AM

My first iPod 30GB click-wheel died just after a year of use. I think I bought it around 2004. Replaced by AppleCare. Replacement just died a couple of months ago. I already had a Touch by then and am still using that. Will buy a 3G on July 11 along with the rest of Canada (yeah, I know I'm exaggerating )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 11:37 AM

1st gen still going strong (replaced the battery for $20 after a few years)

-Q-
Jun 15, 2008, 04:43 PM

My 1st Gen. 5GB died last year. I had passed it onto my wife and she took it everywhere (she travels regularly as part of her job) so it definitely gave us many years of good service.

My iPod 20GB was stolen from my car. The wife left her iPod mini on a plane, but we still have two original iPod Nano's going strong, along with my iPhone and 60GB iPod in my car.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2008, 05:54 PM

My 60GB, 4G iPod is still going strong. I don't sit and listen to it as much as my "Product Red" 2G Nano, which is also going strong, but it's great for road trips and such, and it has ALL of my music on it, so I have a lot of choice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 08:57 AM

1st gen -- still working
3g- dead 2 weeks ago R.I.P
video -- still working
nano 1g--- still working
touch-- working
R.I.P Steve Jobs

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2008, 09:58 AM

1st Gen - still working
Wife's pink Mini - still working
1st Original iPhone - landed in the toilet Replacement iPhone still alive
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 10:00 AM

My 80 gig 5.5er is doin' fine after almost two years, though she be approaching full status.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
1st-generation 5GB iPod w/ mechanical scroll wheel is over SIX YEARS old now and still working. Last I bothered testing battery life (I usually just have it hooked up to the 12V car adapter), I was still getting 4 to 5 hours of battery life - on the original battery!

AFAIC, those "let's-sue-Apple-because-a-handful-of-iPod-batteries-died-after-18-months" guys were completely full of ****.
Same here with a 10GB 2G one. If the Touch wasn't such a huge leap forward I'd still be using it daily.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2008, 10:42 AM

I had to replace the battery on my 1st Generation iPod, but it's hard to complain... many years of faithful service. My wife's pink mini, OTOH, started losing battery life within a few months... but now we just use it hooked up to a stereo in our kitchen...
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 12:06 PM

1st Gen 5GB - Sold to a co-worker
iPod 10GB (with the front touch buttons) - eBayed
iPod Photo 40GB - Now in my Scion's center console, serving up media to the head unit
iPod nano 1GB - Stolen from car, probably by car wash scumbags
iPod shuffle 512MB #1 - In a drawer somewhere, great for doing yardwork or working out
iPod shuffle 512MB #2 - In a drawer somewhere, these are practically disposable
iPhone 8GB - In daily use
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2008, 12:23 PM

3G white iPod 30GB--replacement battery needs to be replaced. We mostly use it now plugged into something (primarily a v1 inMotion).

1st Gen black nano--works great...one of the kids has it now.

2nd gen green nano--works great for one of the kids...although, come to think of it, I haven't seen it lately. Hope it's not MIA.

1st gen iPhone--no worries.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules