Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Deathly Slow Iphone 3G fix ?

Deathly Slow Iphone 3G fix ?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2010, 10:32 PM

I have had my iphone 3G for about one year (purchased 4/2009). Recently everything about the iphone has become unbearably slow. Typing a text message involves extreme patience due to lagging, starting any app has a noticeable and substantial delay.

Basically, I would rather use a motorola flip phone than use my iphone right now because I am so frustrated with its performance.

That being said, how long is the warranty with the iphone 3G ? And, if it is out of warranty, what are some ways I can fix my iphone so that it performs as it did when I first purchased it.

ibook_steve
Jun 30, 2010, 11:38 AM

Did you update to iOS 4? That could explain the slowness. Go to lifehacker.com and look for their article about downgrading to iOS 3 on 3G phones.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 4, 2010, 11:23 PM

im in the same situation.. mine is overheating and dying too.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

-Q-
Jul 5, 2010, 08:41 AM

And unless you purchased Applecare with the phone, the warranty is only 1 year.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2010, 12:02 PM

I was in your situation with my iPhone 3G, so I bought an iPhone 3GS last year after 3.0 basically killed the speed of my iPhone 3G. I didn't like the iPhone 3GS for various reasons, so I returned it. Then, I downgraded to 2.2.1 (nice and speedy), I canceled my contract with AT&T and switched to AT&T pay-as-you-go. I took the go-phone sim out of my go-phone and placed it in my iPhone 3G and it worked. I've been using my iPhone 3G like this (2.2.1 and go-phone) for about a year.

Then, on June 24th, I got my iPhone 4. I had the same reception problems that everyone else was having and it was annoying me, so I returned my iPhone 4 and canceled the contract.

Now I'm back to my iPhone 3G with 2.2.1 on it. I couldn't be happier with the performance. 2.2.1 flew on this phone. After having 3.0 and 4.0 for a while, you'll realize that if you revert back to 2.2.1, your iPhone 3G feels like an iPhone 3GS (minus wallpapers/bells & whistles).

I'm happy again.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2010, 08:40 PM

Delete all your text messages, if you accumulated them for months.

-t

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2010, 12:35 AM

Mine is deathly slow also on iOS4. I thought about downgrading the iOS, but I bought a new one instead.

Good thing the new iPhone 4 will be here Monday.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2010, 05:05 AM

Even though the 3G is two generations old, I'm surprised at just how slow it actually is. It makes me want to upgrade, which I'm sure was all part of the plan.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2010, 09:13 AM

Well, OP, did you upgrade to iOS 4 ?

I don't understand why people can't get the fact that the 3G(s) hardware is too slow for iOS 4.

It's a fact, not a surprise.

-t

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2010, 07:44 PM

I just finished downgrading from 4 to 3.1.3 and my 3G is much faster.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I just finished downgrading from 4 to 3.1.3 and my 3G is much faster.
Can you post a good link to 3.1.3?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Can you post a good link to 3.1.3?
I actually ended up using 3.1.2. http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

Here is 3.1.3 http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....8_Restore.ipsw

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't understand why people can't get the fact that the 3G(s) hardware is too slow for iOS 4.

It's a fact, not a surprise.
Compatibility
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
I don't see where it says where it says iPhone 3G is too slow.

People are going to see "update available" and just go for it.

I wonder what exactly is causing the issue for 3G owners. It seems like if multitasking is turned off, the OS should be about that same as 3.1.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2010, 09:10 PM

No, there is more to iOS than Multitasking (obviously).

At any rate, I don't understand why OS X 10.5 is slow on my iBook Dual USB 500 MHz.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2010, 09:39 PM

I am in the process of downgrading from iOS 4 on my 3G iPhone. iOS 4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2010, 02:49 PM

At any rate, I don't understand why OS X 10.5 is slow on my iBook Dual USB 500 MHz.
Stop trolling. That machine doesn't meet the minimum requirements for 10.5 and you know it.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2010, 09:40 PM

When it gets slow, I usually do a shut down and restart and it picks up again. I have a 3G with 3.1.2 from Dec 2008.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2010, 09:50 PM

I've got iOS4 on my 3G. Performance improved greatly after I jailbroke it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Stop trolling. That machine doesn't meet the minimum requirements for 10.5 and you know it.
Yeah, whatever. Let's just give it to the naive that a two / three year old phone with subpar hardware would suddenly perform snappy on a greatly feature and process enriched OS.

WTF?

Have people just dumped all their common sense ?

-t

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2010, 04:57 PM

This worked for me - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G[S] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3[s]-from-ios-4-to-ios-31

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2010, 09:35 PM

No. People believe what Apple says.

My G4 867 ran 10.5 with little issue. Was it as fast as a newer machine? Of course not, but it was 100% usable.

iPhone 3G with iOS is barely usable. (Some would say completely unusable.)

This is not a common sense issue, it's a case where it appears that Apple is completely misleading 3G owners.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2010, 12:44 AM

No. People believe what Apple says.
Oh please.

I thought we were over that.

Are there still people that drink all the cool-aid Steve dishes out ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2010, 08:22 AM

Oh please.

-t
Have you not been following the iPhone 4 antenna stuff?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2010, 05:14 AM

Well, OP, did you upgrade to iOS 4 ?

It's a fact, not a surprise. t
No, there is more to iOS than Multitasking (obviously).

Yeah, whatever. Let's just give it to the naive that a two / three year old phone with subpar hardware would suddenly perform snappy on a greatly feature and process enriched OS.

WTF?

Oh please.

4.0.1 Has solved my performance issues.

Cipher13
Jul 21, 2010, 03:42 AM

Really? Mine is worse than ever. After trying to use it today, I'm basically calling it completely unusable right now. Gonna have to go back to 3.13. I'm not really bothered by that, either - the *only* thing I'll lose is the map view for photo locations.

I was planning on getting an iPhone 4, but the 3G iOS4 debacle has really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I was planning on getting an iPhone 4, but the 3G iOS4 debacle has really left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I'm not sure I understand your statement. Apple said iOS4 was only for 3GS and 4 but your disappointed it won't run on the 3G? What does a debacle on a phone that isn't supposed to run an OS have to do with purchasing a phone that will?

I downgraded to 3.1.2 (couldn't get 3.1.3 to work for some reason) on my 3G and am very happy.

-Q-
Jul 21, 2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I'm not sure I understand your statement. Apple said iOS4 was only for 3GS and 4 but your disappointed it won't run on the 3G?
You're incorrect. Apple said iOS4 would also run on the 3G with a reduced feature set. They never said anything about god-awful performance on the 3G.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jul 21, 2010, 04:53 PM

There's no reason for that. 4.0.1 simply changes the calibration of the signal strength indicator.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
There's no reason for that. 4.0.1 simply changes the calibration of the signal strength indicator.
Right. That's all a 305MB update did.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2010, 06:47 PM

Right. That's all a 305MB update did.
Uhm, do you understand that the updates ALWAYS contain the full OS, since you are supposed to be able to do a factory-restore from it ?

-t

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
You're incorrect. Apple said iOS4 would also run on the 3G with a reduced feature set. They never said anything about god-awful performance on the 3G.
Ahh, I see. I missed that. I thought Steve said in one of the Keynotes that it was 3GS and 4 only.

You're right, it's pretty bad on 3G.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 07:29 PM

Honestly, given the incredibly similar hardware of the 3G and the first gen (take out the 3G chip and GPS chip, and bam), part of me thinks that Apple only made a 3G build (with no features except for threaded mail and folders, really) because they were still selling the 8GB 3G and they'd rather not piss all of those people off. I think if Apple could've gotten away with it, 4.0 would most certainly have been 3GS/4 only.

One has to wonder just what, exactly, is eating up 2x the CPU power since iPhone OS 2.0. Multitasking isn't even an option in 4.0, so something has to be slowing the phone down. Unless Apple just doesn't bother optimizing software for anything but the newest hardware, which seems plausible.

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
I was in your situation with my iPhone 3G, so I bought an iPhone 3GS last year after 3.0 basically killed the speed of my iPhone 3G. I didn't like the iPhone 3GS for various reasons, so I returned it. Then, I downgraded to 2.2.1 (nice and speedy), I canceled my contract with AT&T and switched to AT&T pay-as-you-go. I took the go-phone sim out of my go-phone and placed it in my iPhone 3G and it worked. I've been using my iPhone 3G like this (2.2.1 and go-phone) for about a year.

Then, on June 24th, I got my iPhone 4. I had the same reception problems that everyone else was having and it was annoying me, so I returned my iPhone 4 and canceled the contract.

Now I'm back to my iPhone 3G with 2.2.1 on it. I couldn't be happier with the performance. 2.2.1 flew on this phone. After having 3.0 and 4.0 for a while, you'll realize that if you revert back to 2.2.1, your iPhone 3G feels like an iPhone 3GS (minus wallpapers/bells & whistles).

I'm happy again.
So then you aren't bothered by the fact that Apple is removing apps that target 2.x from the App Store, effectively making you unable to update/use the latest apps? Although I take it if you are running 2.2.1 you probably don't have any new apps in the first place...

-Q-
Jul 21, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
One has to wonder just what, exactly, is eating up 2x the CPU power since iPhone OS 2.0. Multitasking isn't even an option in 4.0, so something has to be slowing the phone down. Unless Apple just doesn't bother optimizing software for anything but the newest hardware, which seems plausible.
I seem to recall some discussion on the developer forums that it was the on-board RAM that was contributing to the slowdown (the iPhone 4 ships with 512MB versus the the 128MB in the 3G) but I don't know enough about iPhone development or how the OS works to say if that's correct. It's just a theory that was being thrown about that was at least presented well enough for me to think it was plausible.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
One has to wonder just what, exactly, is eating up 2x the CPU power since iPhone OS 2.0. Multitasking isn't even an option in 4.0, so something has to be slowing the phone down.
It's probably the invisible Planned Obsolescence app.

Cipher13
Jul 22, 2010, 03:02 AM

Downgraded to 3.13, and the difference is like night and day. It's no longer a chore to use my phone.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2010, 06:30 PM

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2010, 06:45 PM

According to MacRumors, Apple is working on a fix.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2010, 09:37 PM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2010, 11:49 AM

Upcoming iOS 4 update to address iPhone 3G performance | MacNN

Steve Jobs allegedly responded to an iPhone 3G owner who voiced frustration that v4.0.1 and v4.0.2 failed to provide a fix, according to MacRumors.

"Software update coming soon," Jobs wrote, without going into further detail.

---

I'm still on 3.1.3 (after a brief but very, very painful stint with iOS 4). Hopefully this latest iOS 4 update will actually solve the problems, but I'm not optimistic and I won't be the first to install it. I'll let other 3G owners be the guinea pigs.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2010, 01:00 PM

FWIW, Eug, before I sold my 3G I'd put a couple of the 4.1 betas on it and it wasn't nearly as slow as 4.0, although 3.1 still felt faster (but not by much).

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2010, 09:25 PM

I gave up on 4.0.1 on my 3G a week and a half ago and downgraded to 3.1.3. I didn't even realize how bad the speed on 4.0.x was until after the downgrade. I knew it was bad but jeez....going back to version 3 has my phone feeling brand new again!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2010, 03:41 AM

iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1 run slow and buggy on my iPhone 3G. Many of my app don't run smoothly or quits on launch.

Steve Jobs promise iOS 4.1 will fix these issues.

Anyway, I'll probably get the iPhone 4.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Steve Jobs promise iOS 4.1 will fix these issues.
Steve promises a lot these days. I'm not holding my breath.

iOS 4.1 will probably improve performance for the 3G, but I doubt it'll improve performance all the way back to 3.x.x levels (even though most people will probably call it "snappy")

Anyway, I'll probably get the iPhone 4.
And, that was probably the point of allowing iOS4 onto the 3G ... to point out that a 2 year old smartphone is a dinosaur.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I seem to recall some discussion on the developer forums that it was the on-board RAM that was contributing to the slowdown (the iPhone 4 ships with 512MB versus the the 128MB in the 3G) but I don't know enough about iPhone development or how the OS works to say if that's correct. It's just a theory that was being thrown about that was at least presented well enough for me to think it was plausible.
I think that's likely the case.

It's the lack of memory. That's why multi-tasking is only enabled on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
iOS 4.1 will probably improve performance for the 3G, but I doubt it'll improve performance all the way back to 3.x.x levels
I can take a bit of lagginess with certain apps, but IMO iOS 4.0.0 is unusable on the 3G.

1. I couldn't reliably answer phone calls. That parody video (at 1:10) is a pretty good illustration of this problem actually.
2. Music would skip if I tried multitasking to something else. (Yes the un-jailbroken 3G can multitask, but only with stuff like music playback.)

This is pretty basic functionality so if it can't do this reliably, then IMO it is unusable. What's the use of a phone that can't answer phone calls? However, if iOS 4.1.0 does solve these problems and also speeds up surfing and mail somewhat, I'd upgradeā€¦ until I get a white iPhone 4. I haven't yet decided when to get that iPhone 4 though.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2010, 10:36 AM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2010, 12:26 PM

Much faster than 4.0, but we haven't yet seen how it compares with 3.1.3. I won't be "upgrading" from 3.1.3 until I can see that 4.1 is as good or better than 3.1.3 on the 3G.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2010, 08:25 PM

Just upgraded to iOS 4.1 GM. No improvement is speed. Still slow.

Looks like it's iPhone 4 for me. Or downgrade to 3.1.3.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Looks like it's iPhone 4 for me.
it wouldn't surprise me if that were the intent of allowing ios4 to run on the 3G

ooninay
Sep 5, 2010, 10:49 PM

I upgraded to 4.1 GM on my 3G today too and so far it's much more responsive. My phone was even worse than the one in the video parody before today. I can't say what 4.1 is like compared to 3.1.x because I don't remember what version I had before 4.0, but whatever it was was also pretty laggy, although not nearly as unbearable as 4.0.

I'll see how it is after a few days... that'll be the real test.

Forum Links
Forum Rules