Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So let the whining begin.

So let the whining begin. (Page 2)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:45 PM

Man, I wonder why it's $1300 more for 16GB less storage on that solid-state MB Air

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM

Uh, just wondering. If you have a MacBook Air and the security checkpoints asks you to remove the battery... are you screwed?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Man, I wonder why it's $1300 more for 16GB less storage on that solid-state MB Air
Anyone else hear jackals swarming?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hmmm? I was joking.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:53 PM

Hmmm? I was joking.
So was I.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:54 PM

Oh.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 05:07 PM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does anybody know if TM will now work properly with non Time Capsule network drives?
There actually has been code to support this since Leopard came out. It's a bit of a hack though.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 05:14 PM

OK, I take back my critical post of Apple's pricing. I didn't realize that it's $999 if you want just the 64GB SS upgrade. The $300is for the upgraded processor.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 05:23 PM

Does this mean we should put away our pitchforks and torches now?

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 15, 2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Anyone who buys this model has more money than sense or is just plain stupid.
IMO this is exactly the crowd this device is targeted at in addition to those who just want the newest coolest tech gadget. Which lets be honest, we as Mac users are all about that, why else is Macworld so popular.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 05:39 PM

MacBook Air? Poor Name Choice. Should be the "MacBook Toy."

Where is my F****** Mid Range Tower? Dam you Apple!!!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:01 PM

Yeah, the more I think about this product, the less popular I think it's going to be.

I think it makes a great second computer for someone with a lot of money to burn... but doesn't seem to me like it's a very versatile or appealing product overall.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think it makes a great second computer for someone with a lot of money to burn...
Yes, exactly. I was thinking about it, but since my PowerBook died, I seem to have weened myself off the need for a portable. It helps that I can surf from my tv, though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:07 PM

The 80gig hard drive is the real deal breaker.

Not to mention that the Macbook is already very small and light.

How much is thin really worth?

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
IMO this is exactly the crowd this device is targeted at in addition to those who just want the newest coolest tech gadget. Which lets be honest, we as Mac users are all about that, why else is Macworld so popular.
Well, I have been a Mac user since my IIe. We have 3 children. 2 juniors at UOR and one freshman at RIT. They each have a Macbook Pro. The wife and I own a MP Dual 2.66, and a 17" iMac 2.1g Core 2 (the white ones with the real LCD.)

We all agree this is the most useless device in the history of Apple, and eat leftovers 4x a week.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The 80gig hard drive is the real deal breaker.

Not to mention that the Macbook is already very small and light.

How much is thin really worth?
I wonder if the MacBook Air could be likened to the Motorola RAZR of laptops. Of course it'll never become as cheap or as wide-spread, but I think you get the idea.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does anybody know if TM will now work properly with non Time Capsule network drives?
Good point, I hope it just comes in a firmware update.

Over all I'm very happy with this keynote, everything was awesome other than the $20 iPhone Apps and the slow HD in the MBA.

I will be getting the 1 TB Time Capsule
Signature depreciated.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
These apps probably needed to be updated for the iTouch. Except for Notes, they all would have assumed internet access at all times, and would probably hang or crash if GSM access didn't work as expected. Notes-syncing is probably coming with 10.5.2, so that's why it needed to be updated.
They all run fine on the iPod touch, jailbroken touches have been running these five apps for months. The faux-gsm might have been a problem if intro'd before (because of cell-tower triangulation) but obviously now that it's available for the touch they have it using wi-fi also.

Just let me say - I'm pissed. Royally.

New touches come with the apps, and as an early adopter of the 16 GB version, I get screwed, especially when the hardware is the exact same.
( Last edited by kmkkid; Jan 15, 2008 at 06:38 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:21 PM

I wonder why they didn't put a 160 gig iPod drive in there. It can't be that much thicker.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 06:21 PM

For the market its in, I'd say the Air compares pretty well to the 10 here - PC World - Chart - Top 10 Ultraportable Laptops

None of them have 13" screens, only 2 are lighter (but they have 1.06 or 1.2 processors), and only 3 are cheaper than the base MBA.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 06:22 PM

Oh.
D'uh

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:23 PM

Shut up, you're as dumb as I am.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Where is my F****** Mid Range Tower? Dam you Apple!!!!!
So far that would have been three Midrange tower sales based on posts in this thread. I need a replacement for my QS, but I don't need all the Mac Pros current power.

If I'm going Mac I'm buying new. PPC is a relic now, I know this. I don't really need a laptop, I've already done the whole "iMac" thing before and it drove me to buy a tower.

I hope they EVENTUALLY come out with a Mac Pro that's right for me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 06:30 PM

Shut up, you're as dumb as I am.
No white text = BURN

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:38 PM

here's my complaint: every time there's a Macworld, the Hot Babes thread suffers greatly.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

Does this mean we should put away our pitchforks and torches now?
Yes.

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Agreed. I just can't see the average consumer looking to buy an Apple portable computer going the route of the MacBook Air (and I also agree with people who think this is a stupid name).

It's all form with minimal function. Ease of use is out the window with no built-in optical drive. Minimal storage (even with the 80GB HD). Even being the Apple fan that I am I would never consider buying this.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
No white text = BURN
Looks like I meant it!!!

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Yes.
Well, there goes my evening.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:00 PM

Were I in the market for a new Mac, I would definitely go for the MBA. (Un)fortunately, my MBP still has a lot of life left in it.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 07:02 PM

Where are the rentals in iTunes? Steve said today, didn't he?... or by today does he mean 11:59 PM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 07:03 PM

Yeah if I had $2000 or so to spend I'd get a MBA. Its just the right portable Mac for me. I'm trying to convince my more financially stable girlfriend to get one for herself (so I can play with it).

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 07:04 PM

I get the feel that Steve is starting to lose touch again... like when he came out with the Cube. He fell too in love with the machine and saw past all of the limitations. When you can get a fully loaded MBP for $1999 that would blow the socks off of the Air, I don't get why $1799 for an underpowered machine is the right move.

I am shocked that Apple has just let their monitor business go like they have... I was sure that there would be an update. It's like Steve wants them to die.

And as is said after every MacWorld - WHERE IS THE PROSUMER TOWER? If the would make a fair powered machine that's between the iMac and the MacPro, Apple would sell boatloads of them. I don't understand why they refuse to recognize this market.

I'm also a little bummed about how Apple is turning into a company that squeezes money out of their customers at every opportunity. The iPod touch is a great example. People have just spent $300-$400 for their iPod, and now today they see that if they didn't buy the product when it came out, they wouldn't have to spend $20 to get apps that Apple had already written for the iPhone. Is $20 a lot of money? No, not at all. But I think that delighting their current customers with something unexpected like that would have been worth so much more than the $20 in future sales.

They'll update the iPhone for free - because they get money each month from each user. They'll update iTV for free - because being able to buy movies direct from iTunes will make them more money. But with the touch, there is no revenue stream from offering an upgrade unless you make the consumer pay.

It would have been a nice gesture to Apple's early adopters - instead, Apple is choosing to put revenue first.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 07:10 PM

I would have also bought a mid-level tower like thing.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I get the feel that Steve is starting to lose touch again... like when he came out with the Cube. He fell too in love with the machine and saw past all of the limitations. When you can get a fully loaded MBP for $1999 that would blow the socks off of the Air, I don't get why $1799 for an underpowered machine is the right move.
Why, oh WHY aren't people comparing the MacBook Air to the right computers? If you follow this link you'll see that the MacBook Air's price is QUITE COMPETITIVE! This is NOT overpriced compared to its DIRECT competition!

The iPod touch is a great example. People have just spent $300-$400 for their iPod, and now today they see that if they didn't buy the product when it came out, they wouldn't have to spend $20 to get apps that Apple had already written for the iPhone. Is $20 a lot of money? No, not at all. But I think that delighting their current customers with something unexpected like that would have been worth so much more than the $20 in future sales.
Sarbanes-Oxley, anyone? I'm not saying that $20 isn't too much, but it might be why they had to charge something. $20 is too much, though.[/QUOTE]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 07:21 PM

I don't think the Air is overpriced for what it is, I just think it's a very niche product.

There are probably 200+ different PC laptops on the market right now and 3 Apple ones. So while PC makers scramble to fill every possible need, Apple has to paint in broader strokes.

I think what we are all saying is that not many people are going to be interested in this. While there is a niche for this thing, it's very small... and 1/3 of Apple's laptop line is now catering to this tiny crowd.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Good point, I hope it just comes in a firmware update.

Over all I'm very happy with this keynote, everything was awesome other than the $20 iPhone Apps and the slow HD in the MBA.

I will be getting the 1 TB Time Capsule

Why would getting TM to work with non-TM capsule drives require a firmware update? If it does, the value of Time Capsule is greatly minimized for anybody that has a lot of free disk space on another computer they can use for backups.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Why, oh WHY aren't people comparing the MacBook Air to the right computers? If you follow this link you'll see that the MacBook Air's price is QUITE COMPETITIVE! This is NOT overpriced compared to its DIRECT competition!
So what you're saying is that the MacBook Air is reasonably priced compared to the rest of the barren and overpriced subnotebook market? I guess that's a fact, but it doesn't exactly disprove anything.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:38 PM

The Air isn't a mass market product, and all I've seen is people comparing the thing to Macbooks, and wondering why it costs so much when it doesn't have as many ports, or a DVD drive etc. If you're going to buy a Macbook, buy a Macbook!! If you've got a desktop mac, and want something lightweight to take out to meetings etc, then an Air is more your bag. Oh and it is well priced compared to its real competition, the Sony TZ, which SJ compared it to in the Keynote!

Sony TZ
CPU: 1.06-GHz Core 2 Duo
Display Size (inches): 11.1
Wide Screen: Yes
Total HD Size (GB): 100
RAM: 1GB
Min. Weight (lbs.): 2.7
Price When Reviewed: $2100
PC World - Sony VAIO VGN-TZ150N/B Review

Apple Macbook Air
CPU: 1.6-GHz Core 2 Duo
Display Size (inches): 13.3
Wide Screen: Yes
Total HD Size (GB): 80
RAM: 2GB
Min. Weight (lbs.): 3.0
Price: $1799

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 PM

Where's my pony Apple??

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 07:40 PM

MacBook Error™

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The Air isn't a mass market product, and all I've seen is people comparing the thing to Macbooks, and wondering why it costs so much when it doesn't have as many ports, or a DVD drive etc.
We're not wondering why it costs so much. That's obvious. The question is whether it's actually worth that much.
Chuck
___

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So what you're saying is that the MacBook Air is reasonably priced compared to the rest of the barren and overpriced subnotebook market? I guess that's a fact, but it doesn't exactly disprove anything.
Well, yes, it's "reasonably priced" compared to the rest of the subnotebook market. That's what it is. A subnotebook. The people saying this is overpriced are comparing it to the non-subnotebooks. Well, duh.

Compare the Sony Vaio TZ to a non-subnotebook and you find it's overpriced too.

But overpriced or not, it's still got some pretty interesting features. Like the wireless sharing of any "regular" PC or Mac's optical drive.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 PM

I remember people saying the iPod was going to be a niche product and never sell.

I'm not saying that the Macbook Air will sell like hotcakes, but I am saying that the armchair CEO's have gotten off of their couches to 2nd guess the real CEO. When will y'all learn to wait and see what the actual market does before blasting out statements like that?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
We're not wondering why it costs so much. That's obvious. The question is whether it's actually worth that much.
If you're in the target audience (which in some instances seems to be people with more money than brains), then yes, it's worth it.

If you're not in the target audience, it's not. For instance, it's not worth it to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Well, yes, it's "reasonably priced" compared to the rest of the subnotebook market. That's what it is. A subnotebook. The people saying this is overpriced are comparing it to the non-subnotebooks. Well, duh.

Compare the Sony Vaio TZ to a non-subnotebook and you find it's overpriced too.
I'm not disagreeing. The MacBook Air is not bad for a subnotebook. By those standards, it's quite good. It's just that subnotebooks are generally not what a discerning buyer is looking for.
Chuck
___

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 08:15 PM

I wonder if the MacBook Air could be likened to the Motorola RAZR of laptops. Of course it'll never become as cheap or as wide-spread, but I think you get the idea.
The RAZR became cheap and widespread though. So widespread in fact it became the epitome of the 1 € contract extension phone.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I remember people saying the iPod was going to be a niche product and never sell.

I'm not saying that the Macbook Air will sell like hotcakes, but I am saying that the armchair CEO's have gotten off of their couches to 2nd guess the real CEO. When will y'all learn to wait and see what the actual market does before blasting out statements like that?
We also said the Apple TV and Cube wouldn't sell.

I'm sure this thing will sell well enough... I just have a feeling that for every MacBook Air that is sold, there will be 10 Macbooks and 10 MacBook Pros moved out the door.

The person who said that this is the perfect computer for the man who wants something sleek to take to meetings is right. That's one of the few markets I think this will fit into.

No one in is going to make this their only computer.

This device is a supplementary system. A novelty and status symbol more then anything else.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

They'll update the iPhone for free - because they get money each month from each user. They'll update iTV for free - because being able to buy movies direct from iTunes will make them more money. But with the touch, there is no revenue stream from offering an upgrade unless you make the consumer pay.

It would have been a nice gesture to Apple's early adopters - instead, Apple is choosing to put revenue first.
You just explained exactly why Apple is charging $20 for the iPod Touch upgrade. Apple is a company out to make money. As much as people would love for them to be altruistic and out to please the consumer at every turn and with every decision they make, they are beholden to their stockholders. Why should they give away added functionality for free when the added functionality only benefits the consumer and will add nothing to their revenue? The early adopters who bought the iPod Touch got EXACTLY what they paid for. They knew what they were getting when they bought it. Now, they have the opportunity to add Mail, Weather, Maps, Notes, and Stocks to their Touch - IF THEY WANT THESE FEATURES. If so, $20 is more than fair IMO.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 PM

A corporation? Putting profits first? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
A corporation? Putting profits first? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!
No really, it's true. Look it up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules