Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Remote Restart/Shutdown via Networked Power Switch

Remote Restart/Shutdown via Networked Power Switch
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2010, 03:42 PM

I am about to embark on a 4 month trip away from home and I am heavily relying on being able to remotely access my machine while I am away. I made the same 4 month trip last year, during which my computer froze up with a kernel panic on 2 separate occasions. To get back online last year, I had to ask a friend to stop by my place and force-shutdown and restart my machine.

I am in search of a device that I can sit in between the main power cable of my Mac Pro and the wall outlet, which is a remotely accessible networked-connected power switch that I will be able to use in the event of a system lockup to remotely restart my machine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
I am about to embark on a 4 month trip away from home and I am heavily relying on being able to remotely access my machine while I am away. I made the same 4 month trip last year, during which my computer froze up with a kernel panic on 2 separate occasions. To get back online last year, I had to ask a friend to stop by my place and force-shutdown and restart my machine.

I am in search of a device that I can sit in between the main power cable of my Mac Pro and the wall outlet, which is a remotely accessible networked-connected power switch that I will be able to use in the event of a system lockup to remotely restart my machine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I don't understand your problem. If the wall outlet is accessible from the network, why can't you just toggle the power off and on, thus rebooting your machine?

Cold Warrior
Dec 30, 2010, 11:54 PM

Because he is going out of town for a while and needs to reboot it remotely if needed.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Because he is going out of town for a while and needs to reboot it remotely if needed.
I assumed that the power switch could be accessed remotely w/o any connection to the computer. Like those x-10 switches.

At any rate, eons ago (back in the days of DOS and character mode computing) I used a device that you could call on a telephone and by pressing certain keys on the phone it would activate a power switch toggle.

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2010, 12:15 AM

Here's what I've come up with so far -

Option #1

Option #2
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 12:52 AM

Check this out.

That covers control, and then I'm pretty sure the only other thing you'd need would be this, which can toggle whatever you plug into it. You should give them a call to be sure you don't need anything else.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I don't understand your problem. If the wall outlet is accessible from the network, why can't you just toggle the power off and on, thus rebooting your machine?
I think you're supposed to parse the sentence like:

I am in search of a device* which is a remotely accessible networked-connected power switch that I will be able to use in the event of a system lockup to remotely restart my machine.

*that I can sit in between the main power cable of my Mac Pro and the wall outlet

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Check this out.

That covers control, and then I'm pretty sure the only other thing you'd need would be this, which can toggle whatever you plug into it. You should give them a call to be sure you don't need anything else.
Are you saying that you think I'd need both of those different devices you linked to to be able to make this work? Why wouldn't it just work with the first thing you linked to (the one with the ethernet port on the bottom)?

...and thanks for the great suggestion! I love the idea of being able to use my iPhone to do the dirty work of switching things on and off as needed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 01:03 AM

Are you saying that you think I'd need both of those different devices you linked to to be able to make this work? Why wouldn't it just work with the first thing you linked to (the one with the ethernet port on the bottom)?
You'll definitely need both.

Insteon is actually an RF setup. The device from the first link (with the Ethernet cable) doesn't control anything directly, it's just a transmitter. The device in the second link is the receiver. You'll need one for each device you need to control, so watch out. It won't take long before you want to automate everything... at $30 a pop. It's geek crack.

What I'm not sure about is if you need anything else. I have an older setup which needed a couple booster/repeater-type dealies. It really looks like you don't need those anymore, but a call to make sure can't hurt.

If you do expand beyond doing a power cycle, you'll absolutely want to check out Indigo. It's one of those types of programs that oozes "mac-ness", if you know what I mean. On top of that, it's insanely powerful. Just a fantastic piece of work. You'd need some other equipment though.

...and thanks for the great suggestion! I love the idea of being able to use my iPhone to do the dirty work of switching things on and off as needed.
My pleasure.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 2, 2011 at 01:10 AM. )

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2011, 02:28 PM

Dude you rock! Thanks for the tips!

Forum Links
Forum Rules