Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Home Automation Suggestions?

Home Automation Suggestions?
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2011, 04:21 PM

I'd like to be able to use my iPhone to perform various home automation tasks, such as controlling lights around my home, adjusting the thermostat, toggling power to things plugged into wall outlets, etc, etc.

This website and this one seem to be good starting points to begin with, but there are tons of options available and I don't really know which one I should go with.

There's Indigo, Insteon, X11, (among others... heck, Crestron even has a new home automation system available)

I am basically looking for something that will allow me to control my lights, wall outlets, and thermostat via my iPhone/iPad with the cleanest, most functional, most user friendly control interface available.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2011, 06:44 PM

I've got an Insteon setup, and use Indigo for the software.

I love it, but it's about $40 a pop per device controlled. That adds up quick.

Insteon with Indigo will let you everything you want to do. Other than cost, the only issue might be the iPhone interface. You pretty much design it yourself, so cleanliness and utility are up to you and take effort.

I can blather about this crap for hours (when I saw your post, my eyes lit up), so I'll be glad to answer any Insteon questions you might have.

Right off the top of my head I'd say don't use X11. I used to have it and switched to Insteon. It's far more reliable. Also, you may have a problem later on if you dump a whole lot of cash into dimmers, and then get screwed in a few years when (easily dimmable) incandescents become illegal to sell. Personally, I plan to hoard. It's also possible we may get a good dimmable LED bulb in time, but that's a gamble. You can't dim a normal CFL, and if you try to put a dimmer on them, the ballast doesn't get juice quick enough to start. There are Insteon switches which work fine, but they (obviously) don't dim, and they click when the relay engages and disengages.
( Last edited by subego; May 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 11:06 AM

Oh, one more thing. I've got a computer running 24/7. That makes things easier. If you don't, I don't think it's a deal-breaker, just a bit out of my experience.

FWIW, it's a junky G4 Mini I'm running headless. That's more than enough power to run Indigo Server. If you were to get one used, it'd be way cheaper than the copy of Apple Remote Desktop you'd need to run it headless. Obviously, none of that factors in long term energy costs.
( Last edited by subego; May 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM. )

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2011, 07:28 AM

Perhaps you can help me figure out what is meant by Dual-Link? Lots of the INSTEON hardware is dual link, and from what I can gather, that seems to mean that it can accept the automated commands not only over the electrical wire of the home, but also via RF signal. Is this correct? Does that mean that I have to have some sort of RF transmitter?

What about the Indigo 4.0 Pro software? Is this necessary to setup and configure the whole system?

Perhaps you can help me figure out which dimmer switch I need? I need something capable of dimming lights, not just turning them on and off. And if it's only slightly more expensive for the dual link version compared to the non dual link, and the dual link dimmer switch also acts as a virtual access point strengthening the INSTEON connections of all devices around the switch, then I think that's the one I would want... This this the right one?. If so, they seem to be out of stock of these particular dimmers... any idea where I might be able to find these units in stock somewhere? Why is this alternate dimmer apparently 'Their Best-Selling Remote-Controllable Dimmer"

Is it necessary to purchase access points at all if I have these dual band remote controlled dimmer switches scattered around my home?

What about a thermostat? Are there options as far as these are concerned, or is it pretty much just one choice?

I've already purchased a central controller... is one enough, or are more needed?

I have a Casanova 5-speed adjustable fan with an independently adjustable light underneath it mounted on the ceiling in my bedroom... is there an INSTEON device or controller that would allow me to control this unit, or is that too complex?

When I checked in to this a while back I seem to recall needing some sort of a device connected to my breaker box that would allow me to control INSTEON devices that are installed on various breakers/circuits around my home... is this correct?

Any other guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
Perhaps you can help me figure out what is meant by Dual-Link? Lots of the INSTEON hardware is dual link, and from what I can gather, that seems to mean that it can accept the automated commands not only over the electrical wire of the home, but also via RF signal. Is this correct? Does that mean that I have to have some sort of RF transmitter?
The basic deal is most Insteon signals get sent through your electrical wiring. This is problematic because most residences have what's called 2-phase power. Electricity comes into your breaker box at 240 volts, and then gets split into two 120 volt "phases". The right side of your breaker box is one phase (or "leg"), the left side is the other.

I'm simplifying a bit, but an Insteon signal sent through your wiring isn't strong enough to reliably get from one phase to the other. Therefore, every Insteon setup requires at least two RF access points. One for each phase. These bridge your wiring and solve the problem of getting signals from one phase to the other.

All "dual-link" really means is the device is capable of doing this bridging. When Insteon was first released, you could only get dedicated (plug-in) dual-band access points. Now they offer the option of having it built into various devices.

As for how many access points you actually need, that depends on how big your place is and if there's electrical noise on your wiring. Mine is 3,000 square feet and I've gotten away with only two. I could probably use a third because of noise from my fluorescents, but they only become a problem when the tubes get old. Fresh tubes clear it up.

What about the Indigo 4.0 Pro software? Is this necessary to setup and configure the whole system?
Actually, since you have the Central Controller, you can potentially forego Indigo altogether.

Perhaps you can help me figure out which dimmer switch I need? I need something capable of dimming lights, not just turning them on and off. And if it's only slightly more expensive for the dual link version compared to the non dual link, and the dual link dimmer switch also acts as a virtual access point strengthening the INSTEON connections of all devices around the switch, then I think that's the one I would want... This this the right one?. If so, they seem to be out of stock of these particular dimmers... any idea where I might be able to find these units in stock somewhere? Why is this alternate dimmer apparently 'Their Best-Selling Remote-Controllable Dimmer"
Either will work fine. I'm going to guess the non dual-link model is best selling because it's been available the longest. I have three.

Smarthome makes them, so if they're out of stock, everyone probably is, but I'll check around.

Is it necessary to purchase access points at all if I have these dual band remote controlled dimmer switches scattered around my home?
As long as you have at least one on each phase, and they're close enough to get good reception from each other, that's all you need. However, one of the advantages to the plug-in models is you can easily arrange them as your wiring dictates.

What about a thermostat? Are there options as far as these are concerned, or is it pretty much just one choice?
AFAICT, the Venstar models they offer at Smarthome seem to be the only option.

I've already purchased a central controller... is one enough, or are more needed?
AFAICT, one is all you need. It seems to be doing the same thing Indigo does, just via a built-in web server rather than a dedicated application.

I imagine Indigo has a crapload more power under the hood, but you'd need to buy that, and a PowerLinc (about $250 total). You might as well see what you can squeeze out of the Central Controller, and if you decide later on you need a Cadillac, Indigo is your ride.

I have a Casanova 5-speed adjustable fan with an independently adjustable light underneath it mounted on the ceiling in my bedroom... is there an INSTEON device or controller that would allow me to control this unit, or is that too complex?
I'm going to guess it won't work, but I like a challenge.

How do you control the light/fan now?

When I checked in to this a while back I seem to recall needing some sort of a device connected to my breaker box that would allow me to control INSTEON devices that are installed on various breakers/circuits around my home... is this correct?
You had to do this with X10, but not with Insteon. All that malarkey with the access points is to get you around this problem.
( Last edited by subego; May 5, 2011 at 09:04 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules