Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Massive Handbrake batch processing - need guidance

Massive Handbrake batch processing - need guidance
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2013, 02:14 AM

I'm basically hoping that someone could put themselves in my situation and answer the following question:
You're about to convert a massive collection of about 700 movies into iPad 3/iPhone 5/AppleTV 3 compatible files, and your goal is to achieve a high quality output that virtually mirrors the original, while maintaining compatibility with these devices, what settings would you use to do it?
I plan on deleting my source files when I'm done, so I don't want to screw this up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2013, 01:11 PM

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I liked those answers just fine, but past experience has shown that there are some really smart and helpful people on these forums, and I figured it couldn't hurt to get more feedback on the issue at hand than I could get from just a single forum.

Given my situation, and given then tragedy it would be to mess things up, I figured more feedback just might be warranted in my case.
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2013, 03:45 PM

It's tough to give good advice here with so little information. As was discovered in the HB forum, many of the files just need remuxing and possibly audio reencoding rather than degrading the video by transcoding.

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's tough to give good advice here with so little information. As was discovered in the HB forum, many of the files just need remuxing and possibly audio reencoding rather than degrading the video by transcoding.
Yeah... I think this is going to be the road I'm going to head down, at least for making my .mkv files iOS compatible. I'm still scratching my head on how to handle the hundreds of avi, mov, wmv movie files I have that need to be iOS compatible but can't be re-muxed.

Basically I'm lazy, and I know that you could always get a better result fine-tuning each individual movie file by encoding, then tweaking settings and re-encoding, etc... but there is no chance I'll be doing that because I work a day job and have two kids that would like to know their father.

Needless to say, I am in search of the best batch-processing solution I can find to ensure that my movies are as close to the original quality as possible, while at the same time being iOS/aTV compatible.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2013, 02:37 PM

You're asking for fundamentally opposite things - the best, without any effort. You're also asking for things ("as close to the original quality as possible, while at the same time being iOS/aTV compatible") you probably don't really want - to achieve this literally you'd suffer massive file sizes.

I'd say Apple TV 3 preset is your best compromise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules