Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 126)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Kid is teaching me Titanfall 2. Running on walls is both cool and tricky.
Yeah Titanfall 2 was cool. Got a kick out of running on walls, but your right, it's tricky. All about timing and jumping and double-jumping at the right time. And hitting the wall at the right angle. The time-travelling is even cooler.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2017, 10:34 AM

Just heard the news today, Kinect is dead. Apparently Microsoft has discontinued the Kinect.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...hone-x-face-id
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 10:41 AM

MSs Folly

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2017, 08:15 PM

Is anyone playing Pokémon go these days?
45/47

P
Nov 13, 2017, 08:56 AM

Reddit is amusing itself by downvoting EA over a their response to a fan complaining about SW: Battlefront lootboxes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBat...ocked/dppum98/

This is supposedly some sort of record downvotes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 10:52 AM

Two things: The was blocks were 1/6 as expensive in review copies

AAA gaming approach to micro transactions seems to be to price it like it's a f2p game which is cancerous

P
Nov 13, 2017, 02:11 PM

The thing to understand about loot boxes and F2P is that the vast, vast majority of players never buy anything. There is a tiny minority, “whales”, that buy a lot and make this worth it. I am not at all convinced that there is the same number of whales in a skill-based, competitive game as there is in a mobile time waster. We will see.

I also wonder what Disney thinks about all this. They’re clearly devaluing the Star Wars license with their shenanigans.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Nov 15, 2017, 08:50 AM

Watching EA squirm is like watching a train wreck. It seems pretty clear that they had a plan from early on to cut the price of the top heroes by a lot to "make the outrage outdated", as the phrase goes, and when that didn't really work, they don't have any other moves. The pay-to-win is so poorly implemented, simply percentage boosts to different stats, that there is no defense for it, and the time limit on arcade mode makes it so obvious that they want to give people who buy loot boxes a big advantage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2017, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the gameplay mechanics to understand most of that

P
Nov 15, 2017, 02:45 PM

I haven’t played any of those games in a long time, but as I understand it, the basic idea is that the star cards can give bonuses to basic stats like weapon cooldown, weapons damage, health recharge delay, etc, in addition to unlocking powerful weapons, heroes and tanks. You can gain those cards by just racking up hours in the game, but you have to play online against others, as the arcade (offline) mode is limited in how long you can play it, a la Candy Crush.

The gambling aspect comes in in that you don’t know what you get in a loot box. You can get cards for a class you don’t even play as, and there is no way to trade them.

In all, the game forces you to play online and probably lose to people who have bought better equipment, heroes and bonuses, or buy those things yourself with real money.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is anyone playing Pokémon go these days?
I know people who are, but found my phone to be inadequate to keep trying.

I have heard that they are making a Potterverse version, and that would be fun.

Probability your post was a joke, 95%... but just in case... why not?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 12:56 PM

I can't wait for six years from now when people realize all these loot boxes are just gambling and the gaming companies lobby hard against it being properly regulated

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2017, 01:37 AM

EA pulls in-game purchases from Star Wars Battlefront 2. (For now)

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/...tal-purchases/

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 02:57 AM

Boy did they step in it

P
Nov 17, 2017, 04:54 AM

Scuttlebutt is that they get re-enabled after Christmas. EA's thinking is that they will let the FSP pros play now, wait until all the kids and general amateurs get the game at Christmas, watch them fail spectacularly against people who have played for a month and are better at the genre in the first place, and let them correct that by buying loot crates to catch up.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2017, 06:30 PM

Am I the only one annoyed that the Xbox One (X) requires internet and a MS account to do literally anything?

I get that the original One needed a day-1 patch to work but see no reason the One X (and PS4 Pro, I assume?) require internet to even allow you to set the things up, let alone an MS account for every single person who uses it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the always on future. Thats why a lot of people went PS4.

Bradisen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Fienal Dakar View Post
Welcome to the always on future. Thats why a lot of people went PS4.
You said it so well, P. It's a train wreck. The single player campaign sucks too. I know it's a MP game in essence, but still.
( Last edited by Bradisen; Nov 1, 2021 at 03:27 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2017, 12:13 PM

Mario Odyssey is the most fun I've had with a Mario title since Mario 64. It's neck and neck with Breath of the Wild for Game of the Year in my estimation. I just reached the last world last night — I can't tell you how many times I've found myself grinning like a moron.

The most fascinating aspect of the Battlefront 2 story is that Disney reportedly got involved...

According to an unnamed "person familiar with the matter" who spoke to the Journal, Disney executives were "upset at how online outrage over the costs of gaining access to popular characters such as Luke Skywalker reflected on their marquee property." While Iger was concerned about this perception, it was Disney Head of Consumer Products and Interactive Media Jimmy Pitaro who sent EA a message expressing those concerns, according to the report.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2017, 12:17 PM

It makes sense EA backing down was unprecedented. This explains it.

P
Nov 22, 2017, 07:40 AM

The Belgian lottery commission (government organ that regulates gambling) thinks that loot boxes are gambling but that they can't ban them under current laws. They will however work to ban them on an EU level. This will be interesting to watch.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2017, 02:39 AM

Gang Beasts finally has a PS4 release date. This Tuesday, December 12th!

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...-ps4-gameplay/

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2018, 03:59 PM

Switch + dock + 30-foot screen + teenagers...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2018, 01:14 PM

I may pick this up. It's been forever since I've played Paradise City.

"This remaster includes all DLC from the Year of Paradise, including the Big Surf Island update,
meticulously recreated and ready to wreck in 4K on the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X."

Retail Price: $40

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2018, 02:24 PM

If we can get fatty in on it and I think I would too. One of the best games he didn't play last gen. Best co-operative multi since perfect dark.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2018, 04:45 PM

Fallout news!

https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-7...rpg-1826425333

Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like, Fallout 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline.
Is this the end of turn-based-combat?

After Fallout 4 petered out for me I haven't much thought about the franchise until the reveal trailer for Vault 76 dropped yesterday. I've heard 76 compared to Ark or Rust, which is interesting since they were never really full games in any sense of the word. To me this sounds like a mashup of Destiny/PUBG/Fortnite with a Fallout skin.

In other news I've been playing Fortnite (2 solo wins woooo) and it's a pretty good time. The missus is really into watching it for some reason and actually requests watching me play over TV shows/etc., not a bad gig if you can get it. The main reason I'm playing fortnite is A) its free and B) match load times are bananas, this game can find 100 people in about 30 seconds flat, it's pretty impressive.

P
May 31, 2018, 05:20 PM

There is a game called Frostpunk that just dropped. It is essentially a base builder after an apocalypse, where you try to expand your base to save as many people as you can, while not running out of food or fuel and being able to defend yourself. Scouting missions bring rare loot, which you can use to build higher tier buildings, there is a tech tree, etc.

As a coincidence, I was listening to a review of this game just before the news of Fallout 76 dropped. If Fallout 76 is that, but with better graphics and polish, I am so in. If it is an online base builder.. eh.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 31, 2018, 07:34 PM

I am all in for multiplayer Fallout, but not some halfbaked loot crate POS if thats what it ends up being.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Fallout news!

https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-7...rpg-1826425333

Is this the end of turn-based-combat?

After Fallout 4 petered out for me I haven't much thought about the franchise until the reveal trailer for Vault 76 dropped yesterday. I've heard 76 compared to Ark or Rust, which is interesting since they were never really full games in any sense of the word. To me this sounds like a mashup of Destiny/PUBG/Fortnite with a Fallout skin.
I'm terrified they're going to screw up the things I liked, but I'm old now and my crankiness is intensifying.

In other news I've been playing Fortnite (2 solo wins woooo) and it's a pretty good time. The missus is really into watching it for some reason and actually requests watching me play over TV shows/etc., not a bad gig if you can get it. The main reason I'm playing fortnite is A) its free and B) match load times are bananas, this game can find 100 people in about 30 seconds flat, it's pretty impressive.
I've been playing on PC for a while, but I'm probably going to switch over to PS4. The PC players with their mice are impossible to compete with.

Again, probably because I'm old. I just can't figure out how they're building so quickly. I see a guy, and he's already built himself up 15 stories and snipes me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is a game called Frostpunk that just dropped. It is essentially a base builder after an apocalypse, where you try to expand your base to save as many people as you can, while not running out of food or fuel and being able to defend yourself. Scouting missions bring rare loot, which you can use to build higher tier buildings, there is a tech tree, etc.

As a coincidence, I was listening to a review of this game just before the news of Fallout 76 dropped. If Fallout 76 is that, but with better graphics and polish, I am so in. If it is an online base builder.. eh.

I hadn't read anything on it. Thank you for pointing it out. Sounds interesting.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jun 3, 2018 at 02:48 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2018, 05:09 PM

It’s E3 time!

Every year I hope for more non-online non-FPS games but I guess I am in the minority.

Super pumped for Fallout 76. Confused by Halo: Infinite.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2018, 06:13 PM

Looking forward to Cyberpunk: 2077

I imagine fatty is happy for another Metro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Every year I hope for more non-online non-FPS games but I guess I am in the minority.
I'm excited for the new BattleToads game that comes out next year. Thank you Rare.

- 3 player couch co-op
- 4k hand drawn 2.5D graphics

Now I want Blizzard to make another sequel to Lost Vikings and I will be set.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Looking forward to Cyberpunk: 2077

I imagine fatty is happy for another Metro
Yes to both honestly. With the praise Witcher 3 has gotten and my lust for any game with dystopian sci-fi elements, I'm all over Cyberpunk. Metro is an easy one, ex-STALKER devs making post-apocalyptic linear FPS with suffocating immersion is my drug. Looks 4A is heading into a more open-world concept this time and I really hope they didn't try and 'Far Cry' the game up. With so many games either favoring online play in some form or downright requiring it, Metro (along with Alien: Isolation) have been bastions of linear story-based experiences in the crowded FPS market.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2018, 05:21 PM

Lot to unpack about 76.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/fallout-...-need-to-know/
"Set in the hills of West Virginia," he said, "You are one of the first to emerge into a very different and untamed wasteland." And indeed -- it is different. Howard says the world is huge, diverse, and features six distinct regions to explore, each pulling from real culture, locations and even legends from the area.
So like Destiny?

Speaking at Bethesda's E3 2018 showcase, game director Todd Howard announced that Fallout 76 is "entirely online, but that isn't to say its a massively multiplayer game though -- it's more like a more like a "shared world" shooter, similar to games like Destiny
Okay thats a bit on the nose.

Despite appearing in every iteration of the franchise since the original, it's not clear if V.A.T.S. will be in Fallout 76.The game's E3 trailer didn't show a single moment of the tactical targeting system, and it's hard to imagine how you could freeze combat in a multiplayer game without annoying the other players. It's possible the game could have a modified version of V.A.T.S, like the slowdown mechanic introduced in the VR version of Fallout 4, but it's unclear at this time.
"Mom I can't pause the game it's online!" Called it.

Fallout 76 is definitely an online survival game, but Bethesda describes it as a "softcore" survival game. Death doesn't mean loss of progression or of end of your character like it does in other online survival games. This means you can play, take risks and fail without fear of feeling like you've lost hours of gameplay for one mistake.
So a 'lite' griefing then?

I'll def play the beta before I'm going to many sense of this news. Destiny might be a profitable and mechanically sound game but find it soulless and repetitive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2018, 06:50 PM

It's odd, I like Fallout and I like online, but from the get go nothing I heard about it said, "I should look into this" or "I want to play this."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2018, 03:38 PM

Destiny might be a profitable and mechanically sound game but find it soulless and repetitive.
Absolutely.

It seems a weird direction for them to explore. I know Destiny made money, but it hasn't exactly been beloved.

It's odd, I like Fallout and I like online, but from the get go nothing I heard about it said, "I should look into this" or "I want to play this."
Do you find yourself saying that about more games? I'm getting crankier and crankier about games that waste my time and money.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It seems a weird direction for them to explore. I know Destiny made money, but it hasn't exactly been beloved.
Fallout has always been a deeply lonely experience wandering the wastes with, at most, a companion or two. The idea of a cooperative PVP-ish Fallout just...doesn't really seem doable.

Edit: Also the shooting is absolute dogshit in fallout games, with no real VATS system I hope they've got a new engine for this game to run on.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 14, 2018 at 05:21 PM. )

P
Jun 14, 2018, 05:38 PM

Has anyone tried the recent BattleTech game? Mechwarrior meets XCOM, took me completely by surprise by actually being quite good. It even runs well on a recent Mac.

Fallout has always been a deeply lonely experience wandering the wastes with, at most, a companion or two. The idea of a cooperative PVP-ish Fallout just...doesn't really seem doable.
At first glance I agree, but I’m will to keep an open mind because it is a prequel. It stands to reason that the wasteland maybe wasn’t quite so depopulated back then.

Edit: Also the shooting is absolute dogshit in fallout games, with no real VATS system I hope they've got a new engine for this game to run on.
It is the same engine as F4, which in turn is based on the engine for Bethesda games going back as far as Oblivion. It seems to be the last hurrah for that engine, however - Starfield appears to be running on a new engine.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2018, 11:59 AM

Spending another Saturday morning downloading several GB of updates for my consoles... These new (seemingly) weekly updates punish casual gamers IMO.

I don’t see the logic in mandatory updates (usually 2GB+) for single player games.

EDIT - And on the One X, 10-20GB updates are waaay too common.
( Last edited by Brien; Jun 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2018, 02:25 PM

Yeah, the idea of an MMORPG Fallout game not only doesn't seem doable, but also doesn't even seem palatable.

Then again, I imagine that's how Fallout 1 and 2 fans felt about Fallout 3.

Yeah, that's partially why I enjoyed VATS, despite the initial learning curve. The only thing I really liked about Destiny during the short window I played it was the phenomenal feel of the shooting.

A Fallout world overpopulated by hordes of real-life people with poor shooting mechanics doesn't sound special at all.

LaVitaEBella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2018, 08:22 PM

Excited to play the remake of Resident Evil 2, the trailer looks promising. Anyone else who's excited with this game, it will be available in the market next year.

jumitoprenove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2018, 02:57 AM

LOL!!!
Good pics, man! Sony makes money!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 05:13 PM

As more F76 news comes out I'm becoming intrigued. Server cap seems to be 24 players, with 6 big regions ala Destiny it does appear that running into other players won't be common. The big ? for me is the gunplay. As Jawbone said Destiny might be boring but the shooting mechanics are polished to a mirror-finish. If there's no Vats the aiming / run n gun have to be greatly improved, I cannot stress this enough. F4 brought non-Vats shooting the farthest its ever been...and it still sucks.

With my penchant for online survival PVP (DayZ, Fortnite) and my love of Fallout I could see finding meat on the bone here. If anything, Dakar playing this game with me is probably enough for me to give it a whirl...after the results from the Beta come back of course.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2018, 02:02 AM

Then again, I imagine that's how Fallout 1 and 2 fans felt about Fallout 3.
I thought I might have a problem with 3. The original is my favorite game of all time.

I was completely sold within 10 minutes of leaving the Vault.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 5, 2018, 11:22 AM

Laminar Gaming Update:
Finally finished Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, took about 56 hours to get through the main story without too much deviation on side quests. I was laid up on the couch sitting on an ice pack for a week this spring and got through the rest of it after letting it sit for quite a while.

Picked up Dirt Rally when it was cheap on Steam. It feels like quite an upgrade over Dirt 3, but I might be a little burnt out on racing games so I only have a couple of hours on it.

Played through Titanfall 2 over the past couple of weeks, I'm kind of disappointed that the campaign was only ~7 hours. A lot of really super cool mechanics, I feel like they barely got touched on before the story ended. I tried online matchmaking but after waiting through several 4-7 minute expected wait times with no luck I gave up. I have precious few minutes to game, why would I waste most of that waiting? Went back to the single player campaign at a harder difficulty.

Also finally jumped on the Rocket League bandwagon. After getting a bit tired of the Lego games (we've played through Batman 2&3, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Avengers, Star Wars Complete Saga), I was looking for something split screen and kid-friendly and this seemed to fit the bill. Kid still prefers the Lego games but he's getting the hang of it and it's a fun change of pace.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Picked up Dirt Rally when it was cheap on Steam. It feels like quite an upgrade over Dirt 3, but I might be a little burnt out on racing games so I only have a couple of hours on it.
Have you messed with Project Cars 1 or 2?

Also finally jumped on the Rocket League bandwagon. After getting a bit tired of the Lego games (we've played through Batman 2&3, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Avengers, Star Wars Complete Saga), I was looking for something split screen and kid-friendly and this seemed to fit the bill. Kid still prefers the Lego games but he's getting the hang of it and it's a fun change of pace.
Rocket League has been a brilliantly-executed concept. I've put 250+ hours into it so far. I thought my progression had stalled, but my rank keeps going up at a paraplegic snail's pace. I started having a lot more fun once I switched to 2v2.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 02:11 PM

Forgot to mention:

For anyone who loves JRPGs (if any exist out of the remaining 5-6 members still posting here, I've played the 3-hour demo of Octopath Traveler, and it's absolutely fantastic.

A YouTuber described the art style as, "Like you played Final Fantasy VI 20 years ago, then games disappeared from the earth until now. Octopath Traveler looks like what FFVI felt like, and the way you think you remember it." The art direction is phenomenal, but it really takes seeing the game in motion to understand why the visual design works:

The gameplay is a mix between traditional Final Fantasy combat and Persona's weakness-based tactics. I'm pumped up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2018, 03:39 PM

Have you messed with Project Cars 1 or 2?
I haven't. Every time I think about sitting down to play a car game, I'm reminded of the real life car game in my garage that needs fixing and I end up doing that instead. One of these days that thing will work.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 03:40 PM

Rocket League has been a brilliantly-executed concept. I've put 250+ hours into it so far. I thought my progression had stalled, but my rank keeps going up at a paraplegic snail's pace. I started having a lot more fun once I switched to 2v2.
How does the online party creating work via skill equalization? I'm playing casual - does it pair up groups of a similar skill? Or is it a free for all and the good guys will be playing ranked? I feel like I'll come in for the first game and kick ass and then the next five or six games just get demolished. I didn't know if they adjust teams or games to put similarly skilled players together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules