Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 5)
sek929
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 06:22 PM

Two questions:

My buddy just got his PS3 in the mail. Now, a few posts back it was said Netflix still works, but is this only for people who already created accounts or would he be able to get it working?

Next question, what's an elegant solution to stream media to the PC via a Windows machine?

Thank you, that is all.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2011, 08:20 PM

Turn on media sharing in Windoze Media Player.
( Last edited by Chongo; May 11, 2011 at 08:29 PM. )
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 08:38 PM

You need PSN to register the account the first time.
(Also, people have been reporting its been starting to cease working this week. I suspect it needs to phone home every set number of days to remain valid)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 11:51 PM

I still have no idea about the whole Netflix thing. I tried the "fix" that seemed to work for a lot of people, but never could get it working.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 12, 2011, 01:44 AM

Netflix works fine. I'm on it right now streaming a movie. When you fist launch it let the PS3 try to sign in. It will say down for maintenance, but will continue to load. It will ask one more time and you will be at your instant queue. From that point you are good to go.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2011, 08:37 AM

Exactly. That's what I've tried about ten times. Nothing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Exactly. That's what I've tried about ten times. Nothing.
When was the last time you used it before PSN went down?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 12, 2011, 11:56 AM

Hmm, thats odd. Are you sure it's actually online? Try to open the PS3 web browser and view a website.

Update: Someone added a video, incase anyone needs it.
Watch Netflix w/o PSN
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add youtube link.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Hmm, thats odd. Are you sure it's actually online? Try to open the PS3 web browser and view a website.

Watch Netflix w/o PSN
Everything I've read since the beginning indicates there are certain people that just can't get the work around to work.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 02:56 PM

Report: UK retailers say PS3 trade-ins doubling due to PSN outage | Joystiq
We're approaching the one-month anniversary of the PlayStation Network's deactivation due to that pesky security breach, and according to a report from Edge the downtime's starting to have an effect at UK games retailers. The report cites a number of anonymous game shop clerks, all of whom paint a fairly similar picture of the response to the outage: PlayStation 3 trade-ins have doubled in their respective stores in the past few weeks, with most shoppers exchanging their consoles for Xbox 360s or cash.

That may sound like a fairly inflammatory report, but the reasoning is sound: Almost all the retailers say these shoppers are hardcore FPS players, and are acquiring Xbox 360s to get back in their Call of Duty: Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 routines. Furthermore, all of the retailers report an increased trade-in rate for the PS3 version of Black Ops. Trading in your gaming console sounds like a pretty drastic way to keep playing a game you love -- then again, we're no strangers to the siren call of the Killstreak.
It's true. When my Elite red ringed a got an Arcade (though I'm not so sure I would have if I didn't have a plan to use it for Netflix in the bedroom).

I don't think it's much different than if people had to deal with a cable outage for three weeks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 13, 2011, 10:26 AM

Friday News: That Time of the Month Edition

April NPD: Mortal Kombat wins for Outworld, Xbox is top console again | Joystiq
Top 10 best-selling games (US) for April 2011:
Mortal Kombat -- PS3, 360 -- 1 -- Warner Bros.
Portal 2 -- 360, PS3, PC -- 2 -- Electronic Arts (Valve)
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars -- WII, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC -- 3 -- LucasArts
Call of Duty: Black Ops -- 360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC -- 4 -- Activision
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters -- 360, PS3, Wii -- 5 -- Electronic Arts
Crysis 2 -- 360, PS3, PC -- 6 -- Electronic Arts
Just Dance 2 -- Wii -- 7 -- Ubisoft
Michael Jackson The Experience -- 360, Wii, PS3, NDS, PSP -- 8 -- Ubisoft
Pokemon White Version -- NDS -- 9 -- Nintendo
NBA 2K11 -- 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP, PC -- 10 -- Take 2 Interactive
Sony's thin-skin pays off this month, as the unified platform sales hide any interesting numbers that may have arose from the late-month PSN outage.
(Reports also indicate SOCOMs Move bundle sold very well)

Supplemental info gleaned from NeoGAF:
Hardware:

Xbox 360 - 297K (+60%) - Top Selling Console
PlayStation 3 - ~204.3K (+13%)
Nintendo 3DS - 194K
Wii - 172K
Conspicuously absent – the normally forthcoming Nintendo hasn't released handheld figures yet. An indication of slower than expected 3DS sales?
Edit: Suck, my reading comprehension does.

Very strong month for Sony, with respectably hardware numbers. 360 on top yet again.

Next up - Pre-E3 hype
Xperia Play: PSOne Classics sales slow, Sony promises 'big announcements' at E3 | Joystiq
The Xperia Play has yet to launch in the US, but it's already available in the UK, Canada, Ireland and Spain. Since arriving in those regions last month, sales of PSOne titles being offered for the phone haven't exactly been brisk, evidently. Current figures based on the Android Marketplace peg sales at below 1,000 installs for each title: Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, MediEvil, Syphon Filter and Jumping Flash.
15 year-old games not selling? Who would have thunk it.

Microsoft: 'Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year' | Joystiq
"And in anticipation of another record year in 2011," a press release trumpeting the console maker's strong NPD showings said, "Microsoft announced the size of the Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year." Wikipedia lists 26 current Kinect releases with 26 more in development. A tripling would indicate there are 26 additional games not yet known.
I would not have guessed there were 26 kinect titles already.

What Sony told publishers about PSN, three weeks later- Destructoid
Long and boring. What's worth noting is I've been hearing that Sony has been introducing developers onto the new PSN they've begun testing internally.
Still, though, Friday and no PSN.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; May 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 13, 2011, 11:58 AM

Don't see the relevance, but too strange not to post:

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I didn't know there were even 15 Kinect titles. 26? Developers are just zooming along creating titles for the Kinect.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

Watch Netflix w/o PSN
Definitely was online. Not sure what the problem was. I'm in New Orleans now, so I can't check again until I get home.

Everything I've read since the beginning indicates there are certain people that just can't get the work around to work.
Tall, dark, handsome Americans?

Report: UK retailers say PS3 trade-ins doubling due to PSN outage | Joystiq

It's true. When my Elite red ringed a got an Arcade (though I'm not so sure I would have if I didn't have a plan to use it for Netflix in the bedroom).

I don't think it's much different than if people had to deal with a cable outage for three weeks.
I think the growing problem is the length of the outage. If it had been five days, fine. When it's this long...not fine.

Microsoft: 'Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year' | Joystiq

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I didn't know there were even 15 Kinect titles. 26? Developers are just zooming along creating titles for the Kinect.
And one good one.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 05:19 AM

I don't really want to start a new thread with this question, apologies if this isn't the place to ask : any good books about the video gaming industry, or about some key players/the history that people here could recommend?

Thanks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2011, 06:00 AM

I've never read one, and to be honest, have never been recommended one before. It seems like this would be a massive, gaping hole in the publishing industry.

Then again, what kind of a book would you like to read about video games? I can't really think of anything I want to read.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 09:39 AM

Then again, what kind of a book would you like to read about video games? I can't really think of anything I want to read.
Well, have you ever read 'Rebel Code' or 'Cathedral and the Bazaar', they're both about the history of open source and very good. If there was the equivalent for the games industry I wouldn't mind reading it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 03:03 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I don't really want to start a new thread with this question, apologies if this isn't the place to ask : any good books about the video gaming industry, or about some key players/the history that people here could recommend?
It is the correct place. It's News and Discussion.

Anyway, i read a few books in college, but they were a little shaky then, and I imagine completely outdated now. I'll have to check if authors have published anything more recent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 04:23 PM

I think the growing problem is the length of the outage. If it had been five days, fine. When it's this long...not fine.
That's where I think they're stringing everyone along. They had to know, at the outset, that implementing a new authentication or whatever security would take x amount of time which would be far greater than their initial estimates for downtime. But the last thing they want to do is give people reason a reason (even though it's freakin' valid) to trade in or supplement their PS3.

It was supposed to be up by the end of last week, and mid-week this week, they said a few days. Only it sounds like the dev network just got back up, but it's still being de-bugged as we speak. Can't imagine it'll only take a week to transition from that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 04:33 PM

It was supposed to be up by the end of last week, and mid-week this week, they said a few days. Only it sounds like the dev network just got back up, but it's still being de-bugged as we speak. Can't imagine it'll only take a week to transition from that.
Was it the developer's net that was used to hack PSN?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 04:50 PM

I know there was an exploit on it, I'm not sure that was the location of the big exploit.

Edit: today, I like italics

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 05:08 PM

Cheers angelmb.

Anyway, i read a few books in college, but they were a little shaky then, and I imagine completely outdated now. I'll have to check if authors have published anything more recent.
I'll harass you if you forget.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 08:21 PM

45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 10:39 PM

I think Sunday would have been the day of the week I least expected PSN to go up.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2011, 01:07 AM

highlighted states have service.
( Last edited by Chongo; May 15, 2011 at 01:24 AM. )
45/47

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 15, 2011, 03:40 AM

Looks like US and Canada are up now.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2011, 07:32 AM

I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat and put seasons 1-9 of Seinfeld on that bad boy. Where'd you find it?
You guys talking about an internal/external drive ?

I've posted a thread in the consumer hardware regarding a recurring random issue with my external 2TB USB drive, which is hooked up to my PS3. It just randomly disconnects. Very unpredictable, so i have no idea what could be doing it. I've tried different USB cables and power adapters(for the HDD) to no avail. Any suggestions ?

Cheers

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 15, 2011, 03:09 PM

internal

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2011, 09:57 PM

Yeah, I'm going internal-only -- I've got enough wires scattered behind our TV stand. I've actually never hooked an external drive to my PS3, so I'm afraid I'm no help there. Sorry...

Semi-related topic: I've forgiven Sony...about 95%. As soon as I got home from out of town tonight, I turned the PS3 on and updated. Finally...

Now I'm curious as to what free downloads they'll be providing. Previous PSN+ members really should get something more than an extra month of PSN+ to make up for the 24 days Sony missed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 10:19 AM

Monday News: Our Long [Inter]National Nightmare is Over Edition

PSN struggling to deal with huge mass of password resets- Destructoid
Aww, yeah!

Review: Firmware Update 3.61- Destructoid
The game features a robust moral choice system, where your actions really do affect the world. Do you accept the User Agreement, or don't you? This was an agonizing decision, since you never know what could happen later. I remember that unbelievable moment in Firmware 2.0, where I accepted the User Agreement and the Kaz Hirai was harvested for delicious ADAM. Is that right? It's been so long since I did anything but download Firmware on the PS3 that my memory is a little hazy.
I was shocked to find that getting to 100% did not complete the game, as the update then had to install itself. This is called emergent gameplay, and I'm impressed Sony threw that in there.

Why Japan Is Blocking the Return of the PSN
The PSN's service is being restored in North America, Europe, Australia and Latin America. In Japan, it's not.

Governmental bureaucrats at the Ministry of Economy's Media and Content Industry department won't allow Sony to resume its PSN service until the electronics giant gives more information on new security measures.
If only their nuclear industry saw this kind of oversight.

Report: Rented Amazon Server Used to Launch PSN Attack
Bloomberg news reports that the hackers who carried out the attack on PlayStation Network rented a server from Amazon.com to do so, signing up for the service using fake information.

Mass Effect 3 will have gay romance option for male Shepard | Joystiq
Somewhere, off in the distance, I hear a crosbie cheer.

Dead Island preview: Reality bites | Joystiq
Before I set out, Sinamoi gives me a diving knife, one of the game's many weapons, which borrows another RPG element: Its name is displayed in a color (blue), indicating its quality (blue means it's higher quality than most). At a nearby workbench, I can repair, upgrade or even create new weapons with blueprints found around the island. Repaired and upgraded weapons, like an electrified machete, both do more damage and look different in your character's hands. I ask Kummer how many weapon creations will be possible in the game, and he tells me, "We're looking into a couple of thousand."
For you zombie whores.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 16, 2011, 01:30 PM

Mass Effect 3 will have gay romance option for male Shepard | Joystiq
Somewhere, off in the distance, I hear a crosbie cheer.
How about woman on woman? 3-way?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 16, 2011, 01:35 PM

Why Japan Is Blocking the Return of the PSN

If only their nuclear industry saw this kind of oversight.
Too soon?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 04:10 PM

Nah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 04:14 PM

Japanese government refuses Sony approval for PSN relaunch | Joystiq
Ministry of Economy Content Industry director Kazushige Nobutani, says the government refused Sony's initiative to resuscitate the platform. "As of May 13, Sony was incomplete in exercising measures that they said they will do on the May 1 press conference." The details of which measures haven't been enacted yet were not released.
Feel safe online, Americans?

Semi-related topic: I've forgiven Sony...about 95%. As soon as I got home from out of town tonight, I turned the PS3 on and updated. Finally...
I apologize in advance for using this as a springboard for a mini-rant...

While I think that most of us will take the same tact "It's offline? I'm pissed. It's online? I'm happy!" (Same goes with the RROD), this is also the reason why anyone who argues that businesses that offer poor services will fail are completely delusional. With how large and how diverse our populations have become, not being able to sell something in this day and age means you put out a truly terrible (or expensive) product. PSN unreliable? Well at least it's free. XBOX 360 unreliable? Yeah, but the online is fantastic. PS3 too expensive? Not when you consider Blu-Ray. XBOX Live too costly? You pay for a better experience.

And so on and so forth.

(Sorry about that...)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 04:28 PM

With that preface, I expected a lot more vitriol.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 04:31 PM

I'm sure most people don't come to this thread to hear some preachy bullshit, so I tried to keep it simple and on topic. Broadband, cell phones, and cable (as individual services) were swirling in the morass of my mind, however.

(This is why we are also going to continue to eat buggy games and overpriced/exclusive DLC)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 05:58 PM

Details for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Customer Appreciation Program in North America – PlayStation Blog
All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.

Dead Nation
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet
Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD + Fury

For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
ModNation Racers
Pursuit Force
Killzone Liberation

A selection of “On Us” rental movie titles will be available to PlayStation Network customers over one weekend, where Video Service is available. Those titles will be announced soon.
30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PlayStation Plus subscribers.
Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive an additional 60 days of free subscription.
Existing Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an additional 30 days of free premium subscription.
Additional 30 days + time lost for existing members of Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription free of charge for existing Premium/Basic members.

To welcome users Home, PlayStation Home will be offering 100 free virtual items. Additional free content will be released soon, including the next addition to the Home Mansion personal space, and Ooblag’s Alien Casino, an exclusive game.
Not a bad looking deal.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 06:10 PM

Yep...I own all five of the PS3 titles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 06:14 PM

As someone who has 95% forgiven Sony, you get what you deserve.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 06:21 PM

Ha...

Probably true.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 06:49 PM

I'd say it's about 95% true.
see what I did there?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 16, 2011, 09:42 PM

Yep...I own all five of the PS3 titles.
Wipeout I'll get for sure. How is Dead Nation?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 10:24 PM

Honestly, I haven't even started it yet. I think I got it for a discount -- I snatched it up before it went back down.

What I'll do is sell my hard copies of Infamous and LittleBigPlanet, download the free versions, and use the credit towards...something.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 06:09 AM

Sony details "Welcome Back" offers News - PlayStation 3 - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Euro free game list is slightly different, Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty instead of Super Stardust. I've got LBP 1 and I've got Wipeout HD but not the Fury add on.

So what's worth getting for my PS3?

Also, I have a PSP, can I claim PSP freebies AND PS3 freebies?
( Last edited by ajprice; May 17, 2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: ampersand)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 07:59 AM

I guess I'll be picking Dead Nation, only because I already have Infamous and the others simply don't appeal to me. I do wish Ratchet and Clank was on the US list, though. I'd be all over that one.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2011, 10:28 AM

Tuesday News

Fox Entertainment Group FCC filing points to new video service on consoles | Joystiq
According to some FCC documents that have surfaced online, yet another content streaming service could be headed to gaming consoles soon. A filing of an FCC call (PDF link) between the Fox Entertainment Group and a multichannel video programming distribution partner shows this partner's intent to broaden the platforms it offers content on -- a move that will see "its subscription and on-demand video services available directly to widely-marketed consumer electronics devices, such as game consoles" sometime in the "near future." Fox content would obviously be offered.

There isn't any evidence suggesting who the distribution partner is, but Gamasutra surmises it is a major cable, FiOS or satellite provider operating in the US.
Soon paying for all the subscription services will cost more than just having cable.

MW3 Cover leak:

It follows all the predetermined rules.

Lionhead: Pre-owned worse than PC piracy News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
"For us it's probably a no-lose even with piracy as it is," shrugged West. "But, as I say, second-hand sales cost us more in the long-run than piracy these days."
I may have posted an article a while back where a developer said there was no difference between the second hand market and piracy, but this guy takes it a step further. I may start a poll on this, to delve further.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Sony details "Welcome Back" offers News - PlayStation 3 - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Euro free game list is slightly different, Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty instead of Super Stardust. I've got LBP 1 and I've got Wipeout HD but not the Fury add on.

So what's worth getting for my PS3?
I can't remember if you have Infamous or not, but you absolutely must pick it up. 2nd-best game on PS3, IMO.

Also, I have a PSP, can I claim PSP freebies AND PS3 freebies?
Hmmmm...good question...

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I guess I'll be picking Dead Nation, only because I already have Infamous and the others simply don't appeal to me. I do wish Ratchet and Clank was on the US list, though. I'd be all over that one.
LittleBigPlanet might seem too cutesy for some, but the game is absolutely fantastic. I still love it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 01:00 PM

[
MW3 Cover leak:

It follows all the predetermined rules.
I don't see any helicopters in the background.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2011, 01:08 PM

I don't think they were mandatory. I think it was silhouette, looking away, walking out of a fog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules