Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 7)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They're Nintendo, only without the being judicious about what they're releasing. Nintendo (less so now), doesn't flood the market with their IP. Sony seems intent on just flooding the market with anything that might appeal to anyone, to the point where they're devaluing their own content.

(It also reeks of either desperation or cluelessness)
I think a little of both (desperation/cluelessness). We already know they're showing signs of desperation. Their pricing plans for the NGP, assuming they reveal them at E3, will let us know if they're completely clueless.

Did anyone expect differently?

People still love the Duke, I guess -- even if he sucks.

EA's Riccitiello: Fail well and learn from it | Joystiq
Interesting that this motto coincides with their rise to challenge Activision to reclaim the Most Evil Company title.
Good thing I'm not supporting them.

...except for Tiger Woods, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Madden, NCAA, FIFA, and the Battlefield series.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've seen it advertised everything. They really got the word out for the game. I have PS3 friends who hated Heavy Rain, but are in love with LA Noire.
C'mon, you're going to point to advertising?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 12:15 PM

C'mon, you're going to point to advertising?
Not just advertising -- the reviews have been spectacular. I knew it'd sell well, but had no idea that it was gaining that much traction in advance of release.

But yeah, I would assume that the massive advertising push, which highlights the expressiveness of the new modeling/mo-cap tech, is giving the game a helping hand.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 12:18 PM

Not just advertising -- the reviews have been spectacular. I knew it'd sell well, but had no idea that it was gaining that much traction in advance of release.

But yeah, I would assume that the massive advertising push, which highlights the expressiveness of the new modeling/mo-cap tech, is giving the game a helping hand.
Dude, every AAA IP gets massive advertising. I think you're underselling the fact that it's hit some niche Britain was looking for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 12:22 PM

Dude, every AAA IP gets massive advertising. I think you're underselling the fact that it's hit some niche Britain was looking for.
Well, sure, but I think the game's advertising is smarter than most.

I use my wife as a barometer of how well advertising would work for a casual or niche gaming fan. She reacts strongly to advertising, which is why Zumba Fitness currently occupies a space in our media drawer. She also has an uncanny knack for identifying which advertisements are sucking me in.

Anyways, when she saw the advertising for L.A. Noire, she looked at me with this creeped-out look and asked, "Why do they look so real?" The game LOOKS as revolutionary as it apparently plays. This has to resonate with quite a few people, and if they look the game up online, they're going to see that everyone calls it great. Sold.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

Also, as for the game filling a niche that Britain was waiting for, I think that a LOT of people have been waiting for a game like L.A. Noire. I personally have for a long, long time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

That's not advertising then, that's graphics.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 01:03 PM

People still love the Duke, I guess -- even if he sucks.
I think you're having an off day. The point is the game that was never going to be made is now in a form that means no further changes can be made before retail.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
iOS version too, for 1.99$, that app will be free by the weekend with microsofts policy around charging for xbox live apps
Microsoft's policy also states that an app can't use xbox live messaging (according to the 1337 PWN developer) but Friendz somehow does.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues
I remember the last time an App like this became popular (for .99) Microsoft shut it down before it came back for FREE.
Friendz has been charging $1.99 for over a year now and Microsoft hasn't done anything. Your cheap ass better not report them. I don't want to lose my mobile messaging.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 02:07 PM

Hey, that's the dude from Encino Man.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Friendz has been charging $1.99 for over a year now and Microsoft hasn't done anything. Your cheap ass better not report them. I don't want to lose my mobile messaging.
I generally don't consider myself "cheap" but i'm not sure i'm dropping money for an app that Microsoft themselves says should be free.

...off to report to Microsoft...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 02:50 PM

Free and neutered.

Speaking of reporting, are you posting from work?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:25 PM

That's not advertising then, that's graphics.
Exactly...advertising the graphics.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:27 PM

I just wanted to make sure he sees it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:30 PM

Exactly...advertising the graphics.
No. You're implication is the advertising is selling this game (a la CoD, I imagine). In this case you pointed out the graphics caught your wife's eye. To me, that indicates that absent of those graphics, this game would be meaningless to her. Therefore, the graphics have sold her on the game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:33 PM

...which she would've never seen without the heavy advertising.

All AAA games get pushed, but not all of them get pushed quite this hard. I'd say maybe ten titles per year get this much exposure, and perhaps no other game will benefit from advertising quite as much as L.A. Noire.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:34 PM

...which she would've never seen without the heavy advertising.
Not true. You don't know if she would have seen the commercials if they did average advertising or light advertising.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:41 PM

...which she would have almost certainly never seen without the heavy advertising.

Happy?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:44 PM

...which she would have almost certainly never seen without the heavy advertising.

Happy?
Nope, because you're making advertising into the touch of Jesus, regardless of the quality of content within.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:57 PM

Coming from the guy that spearheaded (or at least co-spearheaded) the Homefront pre-order fiasco in the midst of the build-up to its release.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 05:00 PM

Coming from the guy that spearheaded (or at least co-spearheaded) the Homefront pre-order fiasco in the midst of the build-up to its release.
Huh? That only proves my point. Our interest in the game pre-dated any advertising and was founded on the features listed within, not some pretty commercial.

(But I'm glad you brought up Homefront, because if any game seemed likely to take the new IP record in Britain, it'd have been a heavily advertised FPS in an XBOX friendly country in a climate looking desperately for the EXIT door from the CoD series)

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 05:48 PM

Actually no, took the day off

Gotta use those vacations days...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2011, 10:44 AM

Wednesday News

Kotaku
In Canada, Sony Ericsson's Eshop online store for mobile phones was hacked, compromising names, usernames and passwords for thousands of users. That's not all, Sony BMG Japan was also hacked with data being posted online.
I believe this is called an epidemic.

Magic Turns Old Pixel Characters Into Modern HD Characters
Johannes Kopf and Dani Lischinski are the men behind an algorithm that is able to take an 8-or-16-bit pixellated image—like those found in old video games—and smooth it out into a clean, scalable vector image.
What do you guys think? It just looks like a more advanced version of Illustrator's Autotrace to me.

Last Xbox Creator Leaves Microsoft (and Why That’s Depressing)
The impact of Berkes' departure and Pioneer Studios' shuttering may be more symbolic than practical (there are still totally brilliant and creative people at Microsoft), but it's symbolism that's not without potency at a time when the perception of Microsoft is largely that it doesn't innovate or create new things, or at least ones that see the light of day.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Alright, changed my psn password. I want to make sure my cc info is deleted as well. Can anyone tell me how to do so cause i have no idea how to get to the cc info.
Jeeze thanks fools. Well i found my way to the 'billing' section and there wasn't any info there. Is that all i need to be concerned about ? Any news on when the PSN store comes online...i'd like me some WipeoutHD and Ratchet&Clank (never played either franchise before).

Also, i finally got started on GodOfWar3..... this game is just plan epic. I'm still not sure how I feel about the quicktimey-event stuff it has going on though. Definitely a lot of sensory overload in this game.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 11:14 AM

Oh i finally got my hands on a 3DS (is this the right thread?)

It works...but is way too temperamental for a consumer device. The 3D is extremely impressive when you get into the sweet spot, but move the screen or your head the slightest and get ready for some serious ghosting (and over long periods of time...probably headaches).

IMHO, the 3D with it's limitations is not ready for primetime. I'll give it a pass until they make it more forgiving (better viewing angles, etc)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Jeeze thanks fools. Well i found my way to the 'billing' section and there wasn't any info there. Is that all i need to be concerned about ? Any news on when the PSN store comes online...i'd like me some WipeoutHD and Ratchet&Clank (never played either franchise before).
Glad we couldn't help out. I need to check my own, come to think of it. I'm not sure where the CC info would be, so I'm going to do a bit of Googling.

Also, the PSN Store will be up and running yesterday-OHHHHHHHHHH WAIT...

Now Sony is saying by the end of the month.

Also, i finally got started on GodOfWar3..... this game is just plan epic. I'm still not sure how I feel about the quicktimey-event stuff it has going on though. Definitely a lot of sensory overload in this game.
I haven't played it myself, but my friend says it's his second-favorite PS3 game. Let me know how you like it after wrapping up.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 11:52 AM

Here you go guys...

PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Support - PlayStation.com

God of War 3 is for sure my top 5 ever. Just that opening scene on the way to Mount Olympus is fantastic. Trust me, it gets better.

The only game I'm just waiting for now is Infamous 2.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2011, 12:01 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2011, 12:28 PM

Same diff.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2011, 12:46 PM

Dude, I know PSN is back up, but you need to get off Sony's lap. Sony's strategy is shifting from providing games to just denying parts of them to others...

And I've already gone on record as saying timed DLC doesn't enhance my experience. So what else you got, other than "Two wrongs make a right"?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 01:20 PM

Oh i finally got my hands on a 3DS (is this the right thread?)

It works...but is way too temperamental for a consumer device. The 3D is extremely impressive when you get into the sweet spot, but move the screen or your head the slightest and get ready for some serious ghosting (and over long periods of time...probably headaches).
I found a great deal here in Spain and got one, Aqua Blue, system is really beautiful, pictures don't do any justice to it. Picked just one game, PES 2011. I echo your words about the 3DS. The 3D is jaw-dropping but I expected it to be a bit more forgivable, the slightest movement and it is gone. Anyhow, can't wait for Mario Kart !!!!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2011, 02:34 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM

Thursday News

PSA: Xbox 360 spring dashboard update launched- Destructoid
I had an update waiting for me Monday or Tuesday, which was well past the May 19 supposed start date but in retrospect, I didn't have to update my Arcade the past few days and I've been using that too. Longest update I can remember, too.

Microsoft is Helping an Xbox Live Hacker "Develop His Talent"
According to Microsoft's Paul Rellis, the culprit responsible has been caught, and discovered to be a...14 year-old Irish kid. What's more, instead of punishing the boy or turning him over to the law, Rellis says that Microsoft is "working with the teenager to develop his talent" in an attempt to "help him use his skills for legitimate purposes".
This is mostly a giant middle finger to Sony, right?

Mortal Kombat retailer-exclusive DLC koming for all | Joystiq
NetherRealm Studios head and Mortal Kombat co-creator ko-kreator Ed Boon has revealed via his Twitter feed that all of the retailer-specific pre-order DLC released for the series' ninth installment will soon be made available as one downloadable, for-pay kollection. "The 7 Klassic outfits & 3 Klassic fatalities that were retailer exclusives will be bundled into one DLC package," Boon writes. "Trailer coming on Friday."
That shit they held back to give to retailers to make the game more enticing to pre-order? Yeah, you can pay extra for that soon. Listing the price, however, seems to be taboo. (First Rockstar now this. WTF)

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 26, 2011, 11:55 AM

I had an update waiting for me Monday or Tuesday, which was well past the May 19 supposed start date but in retrospect, I didn't have to update my Arcade the past few days and I've been using that too. Longest update I can remember, too.
Yeah, that was quite the update, just when you thought it was done, another update screen would appear. Never thought it would end.

Sounds like a TV show. I think Criminal Minds and NCIS Los Angeles, both have that as background for one or two of their characters.

But yeah, I think MS is trying to show-off to Sony.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Brien
Professional Poster
May 26, 2011, 03:05 PM

In semi-related news, all of the layoffs and shutterings the past few weeks are a bit disheartening. I guess a lot of people feel the 'bubble' is about to pop (bubble = too many games being released a year).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2011, 03:27 PM

Eh, I don't think the volume is the problem.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 26, 2011, 03:55 PM

Neither do I, but I figured I'd add that bit in since there's a pretty heated thread about it over on Amazon.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2011, 04:11 PM

Well, there's somewhere I never thought to lurk.
(Or desire to)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2011, 05:00 PM

Nope, it's fear of an XBL hack.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Nope, it's fear of an XBL hack.
In that case, all they'd have to do is drop all charges.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 07:20 AM

You want to work with hackers, to know what to look for, to understand their thinking, to try and close those things which you didn't even think about securing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You want to work with hackers, to know what to look for, to understand their thinking, to try and close those things which you didn't even think about securing.
He was doing phishing scams, not brute force hacking.

The point is moot anyway:
UPDATE - Microsoft has since contacted Kotaku to inform us that the original report is inaccurate.

The comments attributed to Microsoft Ireland's Managing Director Mr. Paul Rellis, when speaking at a business event last week, are inaccurate. He never said anything close to what is being reported in some Irish media. Mr. Rellis was commenting on various developers and hobbyists using drivers that allow other devices to display the raw data output from Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors. Microsoft can also confirm that the company has not offered to mentor a 14-year-old from Tallaght who purportedly was related to a phishing scheme.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2011, 10:14 AM

Friday News

South Park lampoons EA Sports, Peter Moore, athletic royalties and everything else | Joystiq
The latest episode of South Park is ... well, one of the stranger recent episodes of South Park, an observation you probably made after reading its title: "Crack Baby Athletic Association." In the show's typical fashion, the episode is a hyperbolic, metaphorical critique of the treatment of professional and collegiate athletes, and their complaints of being denied royalties for media which feature their likeness. One target of the show's scathing barbs was EA Sports, headed up by one "Mr. Peters," a mock-up (pictured above!) of real-life studio president Peter Moore.
I read a longer synopsis on kotaku and did not see the relevance or funny.

First Homefront DLC is 'Fire Sale' map pack coming June 7; 360 title update brings fixes, Ability Pack | Joystiq
Homefront's first piece of DLC is the on-Xbox-first "Fire Sale" map pack which "will carry you further into the heart of a war torn and twisted America." No word on the number of maps in this pack, nor the modes supported, price, or number of celebrity cameos. About the only thing we do know is the name and the date: June 7.
Have I not been paying attention or is it really a sudden trend not to announce DLC pricing? That's three in the past few weeks.

Also, lol, Homefront wanting to get us to pay for DLC.

Sony's Banks Confident Against Hackers
According to Sony Financial Holdings, their systems are different from the ones that were hacked. A spokesperson told Asahi, "We are not affected (by the attacks) because we manage our networks with highly safe systems developed specifically for financial services."
Would you bank with Sony (Don't answer that, Jawbone)?

Man, and we thought our media conglomerates were weird. Sony has banks?

Sony's Boss Wasn't Told the PSN Had Been Hacked In 2008
Making matters worse is the fact it appears the company had suffered additional hacks in 2008, including a September 2008 intrusion into Sony's developer network by a British teenager and a December 2008 hack in PlayStation Home.

Saying that these 2008 attacks were unrelated to those in 2011, a Sony spokesperson told Bloomberg "The one incident that related to PlayStation Network, once we identified what it was, they went in and fixed it."
Did we know about these? I'd think I'd remember...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 10:27 AM

Did we know about these? I'd think I'd remember...
Do enough people use PlayStation Home for anyone to care if it gets hacked?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

Only the advertisers, I imagine.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 10:38 AM

Man, and we thought our media conglomerates were weird. Sony has banks?
Hold your tongue and say : My dad's a (Sony) banker and he banks all day.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 27, 2011, 04:46 PM

Friday News

South Park lampoons EA Sports, Peter Moore, athletic royalties and everything else | Joystiq

I read a longer synopsis on kotaku and did not see the relevance or funny.
Yeah, I haven't been too impressed this season. Looks like they've finally reached the bottom of the idea barrel.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 05:51 PM

I have Sony checking and banking accounts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 08:47 PM

Gonna have to save my pennies for this one.
New Official Wireless Stereo Headset Coming for PS3 – PlayStation Blog
Do you hear that sound? It’s the sound of the enemy approaching your bunker. Only you’ve heard them way before they’ve even seen you and now your commandos are ready to unload. What’s your advantage? It’s simple – the official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset – the latest addition to the PlayStation 3 accessories family.

The official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset will be available for $99.99 (MSRP) at retailers nationwide this September. Many more of your favorite franchises, such as Killzone and Gran Turismo, were also designed for surround sound audio. Featuring 7.1 virtual surround sound, the Wireless Stereo Headset lets you hear all the minor in-game audio clues clearly, whether you are in a firefight in a first-person shooter game or racing for the checkered flag.
Designed with comfort in mind for hours of gameplay, it’s the perfect addition to your PlayStation experience. Connecting the Wireless Stereo Headset with PS3 is made easy with the included USB Wireless Adapter. Precise volume controls and accessible microphone mute make it so you never have to interrupt gameplay to fumble for buttons. You can easily stay informed about battery status, sound controls, etc. with on-screen headset status updates. On top of that, the Wireless Stereo Headset also offers the highest quality voice chat for crystal clear online conversations. The mic is retractable so you can put it away if you just want to listen to music or play a single player game.
We’re very excited to be able to offer you yet another new way to get immersed in the game. Be sure to keep checking the Blog for more information soon.
I doubt current after market USB stereo headsets will be able to take advantage of the in game sounds. This will most likely involve new firmware.
45/47

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2011, 09:24 PM

Hulk Hogan's Main Event - Coming to Kinect this fall

Players will train with Hulk Hogan as they build their own wrestling personalities and learn the art of showmanship to win the crowd over.
Hulk Hogan's Main Event will allow players to learn the moves from Hogan himself as he teaches them how to deliver the best show for the fans. Players will be able to emulate famous Hogan poses and perform over 30 punishing combos. The Kinect sensor will track player movements; more dynamic motions will increase the impact of the wrestler's performance. A robust create-a-wrestler feature will allow players to customize their wrestler down to the entrance music. Nine distinct venues allow players to brawl all the way from the backyard to giant stadiums. A tournament mode, and two-player tag-team modes allow you and a buddy to take turns delivering the punishment. Players can also wield a variety of objects, ranging from metal chairs to ladders.
LOL! A Kinect game I think I gotta try! Kids should be careful performing his devastating leg drop. Owwww my butt brother!

Forum Links
Forum Rules