Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PowerBook white spot problem

15" PowerBook white spot problem
OniDavin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 10:57 PM

I see there's been a lot of discussion regarding this, as I've just recently tried to find out what the heck these weird white spots on my screen are. Turns out it's some kind of defect - no wonder I couldn't clean them.

I'm just a recent convert to using a Mac, and have no idea how to handle this customer-service wise. Could anyone here lend me a hand in telling me the procedure for getting my screen repaired / unit replaced? Given that I'm using this for graphics work, the white spots (there are about 4 of them) are very distracting.

Thanks a bunch! Hopefully this isn't a massive repeat of a post, point me to something relevant if needed.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 11:24 PM

First off, welcome aboard...

Now: While this is a topic that has been discussed, I'm sure most ppl (including me) don't really mind having another thread about it...

What you can do is:
1) Call Apple 1-800-SOS-APPLE. Explain the problem and arrange for the machine to be sent back for a replacement.
2) If you bought this machine from a reseller you can just take it in there and have them take a look at it and then either order another LCD (which the place that I took it to did) or send the unit to Apple if they can't do anything about it

One thing though: It seems that many people have been getting these white spots even after their 2nd replacement so it might be a while till Apple comes up with an acceptable solution for this.

Hope this helped,
Doc Holiday
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

OniDavin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 11:31 PM

Thanks! I'm going to have to wait a week or two anyway - right now my other computer is out of commission, and I can't afford to be without a working system.

Hopefully this problem can be resolved smoothly. I took a look at some of the pictures of other people's spots, and my brightest one appears where it shows on other examples. Strange.

Is there any chance I could be screwed out of a replacement if I wait too long? Or should a week or two still be safe? Never really dealt with Apple before, and I don't want to have to lose hefty chunks of cash!

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by OniDavin:
Is there any chance I could be screwed out of a replacement if I wait too long? Or should a week or two still be safe? Never really dealt with Apple before, and I don't want to have to lose hefty chunks of cash!
If you want a replacement, you should definitely go to an Apple retail store within 10 days after purchase. You will probably get a new PB right there if they have them in stock. If you wait longer, Apple will claim they can only offer a repair -- a much bigger headache if you can't afford to be without a computer.

If you can't get to the retail store within 10 days, start calling AppleCare and get your case DOCUMENTED as an "out of box" defect. Complain early! Complain often!

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by OniDavin:
[B]I see there's been a lot of discussion regarding this, as I've just recently tried to find out what the heck these weird white spots on my screen are. Turns out it's some kind of defect - no wonder I couldn't clean them.
Check out today's 10/15 Macfixit

http://www.macfixit.com/

Major discussion of this issue. It's not pretty.

OniDavin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 03:42 PM

Hrm. I guess I'll get a replacement and hope it works. If not, what can we do? Down/Up grade the 12/17, or just wait for Apple to make a new model in hopes they exchange?

Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 08:55 PM

Any authorized mac repair place can order you a new screen and replace your defective one.

If you want minimal downtime, I would look for an authorized mac repair place in your area, take your PB in, show them the problem, ask them to order a new screen, and ask them if it is possible to set up an appointment to bring your PB in for them to make the swap. This way, you can keep your PB till the day they actually swap your screen.

This is what I am doing with mine. The new screen will be here this coming up monday, or there abouts. I'll drop my PB off in the morning, and come back the next day to pick it up.

OniDavin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 09:07 PM

Thanks a bunch! I should definitely take this route - nothing to lose that way.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 10:14 PM

Well, after two or more days "on hold awaiting parts", my PB is back to being under repair. I'm crossing my fingers that they found a resolution to the spotty issue. (I can't post a picture of the repairstatus screen --- is that normal?)

I was not expecting it to be finished until at least the end of next week, so if it returns earlier than that, I'd be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules