Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > slight "glow" above fw/usb hub on new 20" aluminum display

slight "glow" above fw/usb hub on new 20" aluminum display
vmichaelsf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 12:22 AM

i have a new 20" aluminum display and while watching a dvd on it for the first time (with the lights off) i noticed that there is a bit of a white "glow" on the display almost exactly where the firewire and usb hub is located behind the display. it's a very slight glow, but it's most evident on letterbox movies with a black or very dark scene. i assume this is normal? can anyone test it? just play a letterbox movie, full screen, lights out and look at almost the bottom right corner of the screen... see the glow? thanks in advance!

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 01:46 AM

It's probably just light from the LCD "leaking" out from the gaps in the ports. I don't have a new Cinema Display to test this, but that's my guess.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 04:22 PM

The sleep light on my PowerBook bleeds a little like that too. Nothing to worry about!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 05:25 PM

I imagine your display is on fire. You should extinguish it immediately.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
I imagine your display is on fire. You should extinguish it immediately.

Or send it here! I'll make sure that it's not on fire for ya!

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2004, 11:10 PM

It's not totally clear from your post, but I read it to mean that the glow is on the display side... which could be caused by the backlight reflecting off an internal component. Not good.

I hope it's not like the infamous "white spot" issue that plagued the AlBook 15" after they were introduced.

vmichaelsf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 01:16 PM

Yes, it's on the display side. I'm going to go to the Apple store soon, check out the models there, see if it's visible on those displays, too. I'll let you know. Thanks for the responses!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by vmichaelsf:
Yes, it's on the display side. I'm going to go to the Apple store soon, check out the models there, see if it's visible on those displays, too. I'll let you know. Thanks for the responses!
Good luck getting them to turn out the lights. It's usually way too bright near the displays in the Apple Stores to be able to evaluate them very well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules