Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I've got my 12" !

I've got my 12" !
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 06:11 PM

This is it ! I am typing this message from my couch on my brand new Powerbook 12. I received it today. It is per-fect. No problem at all. Just perfect :-) I connected it to airport in about 2 minutes.

It is silent, not hot at all after 1 hour of use (just gently warm) and this thing is fast !! I just have 256 MB in it.

I was afraid of getting a tiny screen and it is just perfect (sorry I repeat myself) It is true that you need to ajust the screen angle correctly, but once you get the good angle, wow

If someone explain to me how I can post pictures, I will ;-)
S k y p a t

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 10:52 PM

To post pictures type this before the URL of where you have your pics hosted:

[img]

(then the exact url) http//www...
[/img]

good luck and yes..the 12" powerbooks I think are the very best laptops in terms of features and size.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 07:01 AM

Cool I'll search for a free spot on the web where I can put some pictures
S k y p a t

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 07:28 AM

I'm happy for you. When did you order yours? Last I heard mine had been sent from the TNT depot in Liege to Bordeaux...

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 10:08 AM

Welcome to the party. I got my 12 less than a week ago and love it!

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 11:38 AM

Mintcake, thanks. I ordered it last November 13th. I also bought an iPod, airport etc. that is why they took so long to deliver it. They told me TNT needs first to centralize all the different parts of the order before sending it.

It went from Ireland to Holland, then to Brussels, then Liege then my house I was able to follow the itinary on the TNT website.

Yes UV23, I agree with you, it is a great computer. Was yours totally problem free ? Mine is. Do you know how I can copy my iTunes music between my mac tower and my new PB ? That would be cool
S k y p a t

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:
Do you know how I can copy my iTunes music between my mac tower and my new PB ? That would be cool
Connect your powerbook to your tower as a targeted external drive with a firewire cable...

then just copy over whichever files you want from one hard drive to the other.

how I would do it though if you have a DVD burner is to burn all your files onto a DATA dvd... that way you'd have a good backup.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 12:07 PM

Yes UV23, I agree with you, it is a great computer. Was yours totally problem free ? Mine is. Do you know how I can copy my iTunes music between my mac tower and my new PB ? That would be cool
Yikes, an OSX question. I'm just a recent switcher! *runs and hides* So far, no problems. The palmrests get quite warm when I'm doing anything remotely intensive but I have a feeling that when I get more ram this week (waiting on a 512mb upgrade to 768 total) it might actually run a bit cooler, since it will be accessing the hard drive less for virtual mem.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 12:09 PM

I ordered it last November 13th. I also bought an iPod, airport etc. that is why they took so long to deliver it.
Huh. I also ordered mine on the 13th. Just a plain vanilla 12" PB with an 80 gig HDD. I've been tracking it on the TNT site, like I said they sent it from Holland to Liege to Toulouse to Bordeaux where it's been sitting for the last two days. I wonder if I'll ever see it?

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 12:30 PM

Mintcake I'm sorry for you. Maybe it wanted to have some vacations in the south before coming back under the Belgian weather Did you contact Apple ? What did they say ? I read a few articles about organization problems at APple stores in Europe (causing delays in deliveries). Well. I hope yours will come back quickly from France (I would be mad at your place)

UV23 where did you get your RAM ? I think I'll order mine at Crucial since everyone seems to recommend them. I don't know if I'll take 256 or 512 since I find the PB already so fast with 256 MB !
S k y p a t

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 12:38 PM

Mintcake I'm sorry for you. Maybe it wanted to have some vacations in the south before coming back under the Belgian weather Did you contact Apple ? What did they say ?
Heh, yeah I'm sorry for me too. Yes I contacted Apple, the problem was that the idiot who took my order clicked the wrong button and so I was treated as French, not 'francophone Belgian'... So now my Powerbook is trying to find its way to Kraainem, France (which doesn't exist). Apple assured me that had diverted it back to Belgium, but obviously they haven't.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 12:50 PM

UV23 where did you get your RAM ? I think I'll order mine at Crucial since everyone seems to recommend them. I don't know if I'll take 256 or 512 since I find the PB already so fast with 256 MB !
I'm getting it locally, at the same retailer where I bought my PB. That way if there are any problems, I have someone local to me who is accountable. I hear Panther is really picky with third party ram. I believe I am getting Kingston, but they also sell ram from another company who's name I can't remember off the top of my head. As long as I get a lifetime warranty (as Kingston memory has) and it works, I'm happy. I have been told that memory makes a big difference with OSX, and I am inclined to agree, since more memory means less virtual memory (hard drive) access, and with relatively slow hard drives in our PB's, the less hard drive access the better. I'm looking forward to having 768 large.

P.S. In terms of flaws and such, my PB sits perfect but there is a slight (2-3mm?) gap under the rubber stopper on the left side, so that when the lid is closed, its solid on the right side but I can push it down a tiny bit more on the left. I'm pretty anal so I'm trying not to think about it too much. Really, it's not a big deal.

Cheers.

asoares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 07:27 PM

Congratulations skypat...

My 12'' is in my hands since one week, and I am writing this from my couch either... :-) I don't have airport yet (there's some delay on delivering it from apple)
I share with you the same felling... this thing is purrrfect in all senses.
I already added 512Mb more and it is veeeeerrry quick...
sometimes I find myself caressing it... I'm I normal? should I be worried about this? ... ;-)
[12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz 768MB/40GB/Combo/APX]
if you can look, see
if you can see, observe (jos� saramago)

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 08:08 PM

Just installed my ram upgrade to 768. So far I notice that apps open much quicker (like Word for example). Hopefully overall performance will improve. Woopala!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 08:49 PM

Trust me. You will want 768MB or better. It is a pain to go back to 256 thereafter (e.g., returning bad RAM).
I, ASIMO.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 12:28 PM

Well skypat et al, looks like I was too quick to moan, TNT did a bang-up job of getting my PB back to Belgium from wherever it was and I got it this morning!

Anyway, it's a very nice machine, though I do have a few issues with it. It's not easy switching to an entirely new OS after many years perfecting one's knowledge of Windows.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 05:22 PM

Hey Mintcake ! Nice to read that you finally got your baby ! What are the issues you have ?

Are you going to add some more memory ? WHere will you buy it ?

Enjoy your Powerbook !
S k y p a t

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 07:20 PM

Yay for mintcake finally getting the PB! I picked mine up straight from the local Apple Store last week, and I'm loving it. I did add another 512MB memory (from Crucial.com) and a Waterfield Designs sleevecase (from sfbags.com) and I really don't think I could be happier.

James
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules