Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tough choice... 1.25 GHz 15.2-inch or 1 GHz 12.1-inch

Tough choice... 1.25 GHz 15.2-inch or 1 GHz 12.1-inch
stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 08:36 PM

It's almost maddening that the pricepoint is so close on these machines and the price/hardware ratio is so much better on the 1.25 GHz 15.2-inch. Has anyone else noticed this?

Check it:

15.2-inch Powerbook
� 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
� 1GB DDR333 SDRAM
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
� SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
� Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� AirPort Extreme Card
� 15.2-inch TFT Display
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM
$3,099.00

12.1-inch Powerbook
� 1GHz PowerPC G4
� 1.256GB DDR266 SDRAM
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� 12.1-inch TFT Display
� NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM
$2,823.00

So for $276 more, you get a 25% boost in processor speed, faster RAM (a little less), a significantly better Graphics Chip, and (if it matters) more screen space. I'm really attracted to the portability of the 12.1 inch, but I can't get over what I get for the extra $275.

After reading Assassyn's 12.1 inch review, I was almost convinced to go that route, but I'm having a hard time just caving in and making the purchase. What choice have you all made and why?
( Last edited by stilltron; Oct 3, 2003 at 09:58 PM. )

amoris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 09:04 PM

Don't buy RAM from Apple, because they charge you arms and legs for that. You can save a lot of money buying from memory vendors and install it yourself.

If you don't mind the size, the 15" PB seems to be a better buy because you get lots of features (faster chip, RAM, better video card, backlit keyboard, etc.). However, after 2 years of painfully lugging around my rev A TiBook, I decided to go with a lighter 12" instead. I don't play games on my Mac so there's no need for that super fast ATI card (which is still no where near the speed of the Radeon 9800 Pro on my super fast Pentium 4 gaming rig).

My 12" is being shipped, totally stock spec with superdrive. I also bought a 512MB DDR RAM from newegg.com for $95 (see if you can get that from Apple!). I'm also planning to upgrade the HD to the Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM (this will however void the warranty).

Shop smart and buy RAM from 3rd party vendor, or specialty vendor. Make sure that you know the spec of the RAM you need for the particular powerbook though.

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 09:55 PM

but the lighted keyboard!!!!!!!!!!
you forgot that in your $276 assessment.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 10:03 PM

If you're trying to max the specs then you might as well go for the 15inch. Maxing the 12 will give you less battery life and less overall value.

stilltron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 10:12 PM

thanks for the RAM tip amoris, that will definitely factor in. a 1gb chip for either notebook seems to cost around $230 - $270. so that makes the 12.1-inch a little more attractive because the 15.2 inch base price is $2600, and the 12.1-inch is $1799... $2039 with AirEx and 80 gig drive.

will the 7200 60 gig hitachi work in the 12.1-inch?... it seems like apple only gives 4200 speed hd's as an option on that model.

haz... yeah, the lighted keyboard. ergh.

this requires much thought.

SL21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 10:27 PM

I'm in the same situation. Except I threw in a 17" Apple Studio display along with the 12" for use at home. Not to mention in a couple years when I buy a G5 desktop, I will already have a pretty decent monitor to go along with it. Here's what I'm looking at with educational discounts:

12" Powerbook
� 1GHz PowerPC G4
� 256MB DDR266 (256MB built-in)
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel) + Apple DVI-to-ADC Adapter
� Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� 12.1-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $2,421.00

15" Powerbook
� 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
� 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
� Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� AirPort Extreme Card
� 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $2,299.00

For an extra $120 I can get the 17" Apple monitor.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2003, 11:38 PM

I bought a rev. a 12 PB in July and have enjoyed it very much. Its a very well designed computer and overall the best portable computing experience I've had. However, I started using FCE and Photoshop more and more and even though I tried to tell myself that the screen size was fine I knew that is was just too cramped for my needs. I went ahead and ordered a 15 with the faster HD (5400) and will purchase RAM third party. I feel that either way you go, 12 or 15 really depends on what you plan to do. I'd rather lug a few extra ounces/pounds and have the extra speed, power.
( Last edited by Sandbaggins; Oct 3, 2003 at 11:54 PM. )
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 07:12 AM

Sandbaggins do you feel you need the faster hard drive for FCE?

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 09:42 AM

With me it's more a cost vs. portability issue. I'd love to to have the screen size, hard drive space, processor, and extra ports on the 15", but it's $700 bucks more than the 12" (with ed. discounts). A friend will sell me his rather new 17" CRT for $75, so I could use FCE with that and not feel cramped. But do I want to be plugged into a CRT all day? Or, alternatively, do I want to carry about a large, $2300 machine all day? Maddening decisions...

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 09:56 AM

I would buy the 12" SD if it would play Warcraft 3 and Sim City 4, last me 5 years with just a bit of photoshop and Indesign.

What do you think? I'm not after the keyboard or the weight, and i could attach another screen later...what you guys think?

Could you upgrade the HD like with the 15" (even with voiding the warranty)?

If not to all of these then i am gunning for the stock option 15" SD.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

stilltron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
I would buy the 12" SD if it would play Warcraft 3 and Sim City 4, last me 5 years with just a bit of photoshop and Indesign.

What do you think? I'm not after the keyboard or the weight, and i could attach another screen later...what you guys think?

Could you upgrade the HD like with the 15" (even with voiding the warranty)?

If not to all of these then i am gunning for the stock option 15" SD.
See Assassyn's review for gaming info.

As far as the hard drive goes, That's my question too. Would put putting a 7200 or 5400 drive in the 12 inch even result in any performance increases? It seems apple only offers the 4800 option, so maybe there's a ceiling there, or maybe you're bringing back the heat issue.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 12:03 PM

It sounds like you could live with the size of the 15 and that the 12 is not a must. I would go with the 15 for better value.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 12:33 PM

go to compusa or something and look at them yourself we can only help you dont let us decide for you. That is my biggest tip to give you because that is how i decided, believe me you will know what you want.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

amoris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by stilltron:
See Assassyn's review for gaming info.

As far as the hard drive goes, That's my question too. Would put putting a 7200 or 5400 drive in the 12 inch even result in any performance increases? It seems apple only offers the 4800 option, so maybe there's a ceiling there, or maybe you're bringing back the heat issue.
Oh you'll definitely see the speed increase alright, especially in A/V tasks or anything that can tax out your RAM such as working with large files or 3D games. And hence, the 5400 RPM HD option for the high-end powerbooks. I can't tell you about the heat issue because I haven't done the swap yet.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 01:18 PM

go use them physically somewhere and then you will know. You will find though that the 12 is a good bet. You can hook up a second monitor, add a 7200rpm firewire hd. It depends how often your on the go.

May i suggest we put up a special thread that may help people make this decision sense it is a popular question. A sticky perhaps. I understand people are looking for a powerbook because i posted the same question before i got mine. now i got mine and I don't mind answering questions but isnt this getting repetitive. The answers are always the same so why not have a sticky and if people still dont know then they can post a thread.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

stilltron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
May i suggest we put up a special thread that may help people make this decision sense it is a popular question. A sticky perhaps. I understand people are looking for a powerbook because i posted the same question before i got mine. now i got mine and I don't mind answering questions but isnt this getting repetitive. The answers are always the same so why not have a sticky and if people still dont know then they can post a thread.
Yeah, a sticky might be a good idea for "What should I do threads", etc. Although I posted this less because I wanted to know what I should do, but moreso because I was interested in how others rationalized the slim price difference vs. the big performance boost.

Based on amoris' RAM suggestion I think the general solution to the slim price margin vs performance boost is to look at the price points knowing you'll be buying RAM from another source. At that point, the 12 inch becomes a much better buy.

Given this, and everyone else's suggestions, (and Assassyn's review) I'm going to buy a 12 inch in the next two weeks or so... or probably when Panther comes out.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by ponami:
Sandbaggins do you feel you need the faster hard drive for FCE?
Not really. I used FCE on my 12" and had no problems with it rendering or skipping frames etc. It had more to do with the screen size. Now I do noticce a huge speed increase with the 15" 1.25 5400HD PB. The machine is a blast to use, I feel lucky to have a machine with no problems. No white spots, latch, or warping problems. I love both machines but I pick the 15"...no doubt about it. Look at my sig .
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 08:21 PM

I went for the 12. The order I placed was about �2000 ($3000) inc tax, but it did include a 40G ipod, a printer, Applecare, Airport extreme card and a larger hard drive.

I couldn't have got the extras if I went for the 15. And basically I figured: I've been living with 500mhz for ages - 1ghz will be a leap forward enough as it is.

Also, I really wanted the small form factor. In fact, I'm surprised the 12 isn't smaller - it's bigger to me than it looked online. Lovely machine though. My model is perfect in every respect, and feels amazing. I can't wait to try out new things like DVD burning

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules