Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To all those considering the 15Al

To all those considering the 15Al
drew420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 01:42 AM

javascript:smilie('')
This is a message to reassure you that this product rocks and it is quite possible to get one that is flawless (nearly).

Having read through all the e-mails regarding the latch and brightspots I cancelled my online order and drove myself to an apple store. After purchasing the machine, I opened and fired up the sucka.

First thing I noticed: The latch did not close! However, I quickly applied the latch fix technique in store and after opening and closing a few times, the latch works perfectly with a gentle soft-touch click! Now I actually like this latch better than my old Ti!

There is a "gap" between the screen and base... However, the gap is so small (1mm at most) and it is even along all edges. When I carry the book with my bare hands the lid does "click" against the base but this is hardly noticable. The latch is secure the entire time and has never popped out of sleep.

The rest of the powerbook is flawless! The screen exhibits no white spots nor dead pixels. I sure hope nothing jumps up from this beautiful screen. It is very bright and workable even half lit. Trackpad and button are top grade. The illuminated keyboard is solid in feel and response. The speakers sound so much better than the Ti.

Performance is the biggest joy with this machine. In Photoshop, Keynote, Media Encoding, or Simcity4, the processor tends to supply me with more information than I can visually process.... Often times, it is the processor who is waiting, rather than my workflow. The heat output is similar to the Ti667/VGA, however, the fan of this powerbook rarely comes on... When it does it is a soft pulse rather than the high pitched white noise of the Ti. A virtually silent machine (provided the superdrive aint' working).

The graphics chip on this powerbook is a joy to use. The GUi is snappy even with a DVD stream playing in the background. 64MB of VRAM is roomy enough for anything I can throw at it. This type of graphics performance is a new experience for me in a portable computer.

The battery lasts for 2 hours 45 minutes after the latest updates. This is with the display 2/3 up and moderate CPU Usage / Airport Extreme on. Ain't too shabby!

I've been a lifelong PC user (with the exception of my first computer: an Apple II+). I made the switch to the TiPB in February of this year. At that time, the Ti was the best computer I've ever owned. I was trying to replicate the concept of how a computer system should work on a PC only to discover that Apple could deliver it out of the box. The 15Al is only a further refinement of that concept.

No doubt this will be my machine for many years to come... The amount of productivity that I can accomplish will far outweigh the monetary costs. I could not have said the same for the half-broken Dell Inspiron on the other side of my desk.

Just my two cents,javascript:smilie('')
Phil

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 02:13 AM

Congrats on your new PowerBook.

pptiger
Oct 6, 2003, 02:20 AM

congratulations! I'd like to read this kind of posts while waiting for my pb.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 07:33 AM

Same here, I received my 15" al and its great (a minor speaker feedback issue). This puppy rocks, I can't believe how fast it is,
Now on to choose which case to buy.

Mike

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 09:56 AM

thank you so much for posting this.
i ordered the 15" on saturday.
it will be my first apple since my dad switched us from the apple IIe!

i was very annoyed that the phone dude said 7-10 days but the tracking thing says not il 10/21. but, if there are more reviews like yours, i will be HAPPY to wait!

thanks!

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 10:50 AM

Mine is also perfect!
And it's super fast!
I get 109.20 score in xbench.

I love it!

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 10:59 AM

Congrats on the PB....

I can also say that my 1Ghz PB is flawless in its entirety. I think that those defects are more prone to happen to the people that got the first "waves" of shipping as they were the first PB out of the production lines. I consider myself lucky and my PB is a joy to use. I also get around 3 hrs of battery time, this is timed battery time, I do not rely on the battery reader as it is completely useless. Automatic mode in Energy Saver, is the best way to go so you don't have to go and change your settings every time you need more power, it does it for you. I got my PB from the local Apple Store and I hope to enjoy using it until the next revision comes around (hopefully G5 PB) and I will upgrade then.....

To all those waiting to get your PB just GET it, so many people have bought the thing and like everyone else has said you will only hear about the BAD things, not the good things, which in my opinion this PB has MANY of....

Enjoy...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by RodriCO2000:
Congrats on the PB....

I can also say that my 1Ghz PB is flawless in its entirety. I think that those defects are more prone to happen to the people that got the first "waves" of shipping as they were the first PB out of the production lines. I consider myself lucky and my PB is a joy to use. I also get around 3 hrs of battery time, this is timed battery time, I do not rely on the battery reader as it is completely useless. Automatic mode in Energy Saver, is the best way to go so you don't have to go and change your settings every time you need more power, it does it for you. I got my PB from the local Apple Store and I hope to enjoy using it until the next revision comes around (hopefully G5 PB) and I will upgrade then.....

To all those waiting to get your PB just GET it, so many people have bought the thing and like everyone else has said you will only hear about the BAD things, not the good things, which in my opinion this PB has MANY of....

Enjoy...
That's worng, it doesn't do it for you entirely.
When I played america's army with automatic performance, I got much less fps then with highest.
Automatic is good if you are going to watch a movie or something like that.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 11:06 AM

I get a tad more than 3.5 hours with my 15' with the new updates

The thing rocks, seriously very fast.

I have a pc and this mac. Ever since my aunt showed me her Ibook back in 99 I have had a mac laptop. Never owned a desktop, but I will someday when I can afford both

This is by fat the best computer I ahve owned. One thing tat makes apple rock is that they include everything you will need. For instance if you want a dell you have to put a wireless adapter in. Dont even count on getting bluetooth, cause you will have to use a bulky usb dongle. Also they just started to offer dvd burners.

There cases are flimsy and plastic. I have owned a dell laptop (8200) and the thing was enver as good as any apple I have owned. I also had a compaq in 98 and it was nicer looking than the dell but not as nice as the apple.

I really hope that more people open their eyes and see that apples just work. I dont have to wonder if my sony camera will be able to work with my computer. I have NEVER had a problem with any device and my apple. Granted I am sure there are a few but never been a problem for me.

Also I use PC's at work ( I work for a VERY large PC manufacturer I ams ure you can figure it out if you think about it) and those guys refuse to use a unix based server. What that leads to is system downtime EVERYDAY. I am not kidding when I sayt that at least once a day there is a problem with one part of our system or another. I asked my supervisor why they would use an inferior technology for the sake ofbeing productive and basicly he said that we are microsofts puppets I think so many people are like that (non mac that is) and they will serously sacrifice being productive to have what they think is the standard. The standard is not always the best which is very apparent to all of us, its just sad how many people suffer from the sheep effect (following each other)

Ok Im done
Force
Force

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 11:13 AM

I stand corrected on the Automatic setting... I guess I gave Apple too much credit

I am curious about one thing. forcelite, you claim you get 3.5 hours out of your 15" HOW DO YOU DO IT? do you have everything set down, AE off, and with the longest battery life setting????

I am curious as I want to get the most out of my battery.
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 12:06 AM

Yes forcelite

please share with us everything, from what you did to calibrate it, what updates you are running, what hardware is running at the time.

Does the meter just say 3.5 hours or have you actually used it that long till it fell asleep????

3.5 hours is plenty for me and I would be very happy with that.....

share please!

ingeniero
Oct 7, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I get a tad more than 3.5 hours with my 15' with the new updates

The thing rocks, seriously very fast.

I have a pc and this mac. Ever since my aunt showed me her Ibook back in 99 I have had a mac laptop. Never owned a desktop, but I will someday when I can afford both

This is by fat the best computer I ahve owned. One thing tat makes apple rock is that they include everything you will need. For instance if you want a dell you have to put a wireless adapter in. Dont even count on getting bluetooth, cause you will have to use a bulky usb dongle. Also they just started to offer dvd burners.

There cases are flimsy and plastic. I have owned a dell laptop (8200) and the thing was enver as good as any apple I have owned. I also had a compaq in 98 and it was nicer looking than the dell but not as nice as the apple.

I really hope that more people open their eyes and see that apples just work. I dont have to wonder if my sony camera will be able to work with my computer. I have NEVER had a problem with any device and my apple. Granted I am sure there are a few but never been a problem for me.

Also I use PC's at work ( I work for a VERY large PC manufacturer I ams ure you can figure it out if you think about it) and those guys refuse to use a unix based server. What that leads to is system downtime EVERYDAY. I am not kidding when I sayt that at least once a day there is a problem with one part of our system or another. I asked my supervisor why they would use an inferior technology for the sake ofbeing productive and basicly he said that we are microsofts puppets I think so many people are like that (non mac that is) and they will serously sacrifice being productive to have what they think is the standard. The standard is not always the best which is very apparent to all of us, its just sad how many people suffer from the sheep effect (following each other)

Ok Im done
Force
je je je...let's see you're in TX and you owned one of their laptops...hmm.

In my company they also just go with the 'standard' which really sucks. There's always virus attacks thanks to loopholes and downtime is a regular. I think the real reason alot of companies use the windows enviroment is to save on the hardware. I would love to have a business apple laptop, instead I have an HP. but hey, I have my personal Powerbook..

Lattimer
Oct 7, 2003, 03:21 AM

ahhh...some nice responses. glad to hear that some people have good powerbooks!
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 11:31 AM

I'm almost scared to touch it (my new 15 AL powerbook). What i mean by that is that its so damn beautiful, but inside the hood, its a damn monster.
Hi!

Forum Links
Forum Rules