Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White Spots - 15"AluBook - Pictures

White Spots - 15"AluBook - Pictures
alwimy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:06 AM

For those who are interested in what these spots are all about - I've put up pictures of my PowerBook at: http://homepage.mac.com/alwi/PhotoAlbum10.html

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

Wow, that sucks. I've been wondering what they looked like. ;__;

gif32
Oct 13, 2003, 01:21 PM

Oh no! I went through a major headache getting my first AlBook replaced because it had a couple of really bad white spots (search for my other posts to see a photo), and at long last the replacement came and seemed to be fine. In the past few days it has started to grow spots too, so eventually I'll have to send it off for repair.

Your spots came back AFTER a repair? Did they come back in the same place or different? There is another thread on here from someone with spots that came back in the same locations.

I can't believe I'm going to have to send this back again... Someone should tell Apple we want our operating systems spotted (Jaguar, Panther, etc.) but not our LCDs

-gif

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2003, 01:22 PM

Looks like magnetic interference. LCD's don't just develop spots like that and it is not light shining through the apple on the back. Where is the sleep magnet located on the 15"?

Steve

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 02:01 PM

I believe the spots are a result of stress risers or pressure points between the screen and the lid. Magnetic fields affect CRT screens, but do not affect LCDs the same way; in any case, magnetic fields do not result in uniform white spots on any type of screen.

Mine is being repaired right now, according to "repair status". I hope a single repair will take care of this issue for me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2003, 03:07 PM

Those are definitely stand-off stress points (LCD is getting poked in the back). It comes from not getting the LCD centered correctly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 03:29 PM

Ouch... yea, that does suck....

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Maccelerate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 03:41 PM

Shipped Sept. 29th, stock 1.25 GHz specs.

I can reproduce the location of the reported white spots on the screen by *gently* pressing on the top cover. The wave or liquid effect is created in the exact same locations as those of multiple images I have seen. This HAS to be a spacer or case stiffener behind the LCD. [Machem has the same idea] Again, mine has no problems. A perusal of Apple's repair docs does not even show the LCD unit disassembled. They must be replacing it as a whole unit. Don't know about the TiBooks, but as far as I remember, ALL the older PowerBooks came with service parts for the case and the LCD as separate units.

Interesting how the pattern is not centered on the screen??

Otherwise, good battery life. Heat diminished by about half once I switched the default "Highest" performance in the Energy Saver to Auto. Keyboard is the most solid and flattest keyboard I've ever used in an Apple Portable. Screen is bright and uniform.

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 04:43 PM

my previous lcd had 2 white spots on the center left and center north positions as yours. after it was replaced, I have three white spots that form the top triange portion of your diamond.

seems very fishy. this HAS to be some architectural defect across the line.
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 05:01 PM

ALL 3 15 inch Al's had spots in the EXACT SAME location. Each one i had developed the issue within 3-4 days.

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2003, 05:49 PM

Well, maybe it's not the magnetic field, but what if it was the magnet itself pressing against the LCD?

Steve

ElBerserko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Well, maybe it's not the magnetic field, but what if it was the magnet itself pressing against the LCD?

Steve
There is no magnet under the screen. It is in the frame by the latch, far away from the spots. My 15inch also has two spots in similar locations as the pictures (far left and right in the 'diamond' pattern).

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by alwimy:
For those who are interested in what these spots are all about - I've put up pictures of my PowerBook at: http://homepage.mac.com/alwi/PhotoAlbum10.html
Well I for one am not going to by a new 15" until this issue is completely resolved.

I am not spending $2500 just to have to send it back the day I get it.

I will stick with my 1GHz Ti PowerBook with the jet engine fans.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Maccelerate:
Shipped Sept. 29th, stock 1.25 GHz specs.

I can reproduce the location of the reported white spots on the screen by *gently* pressing on the top cover. The wave or liquid effect is created in the exact same locations as those of multiple images I have seen. This HAS to be a spacer or case stiffener behind the LCD.
I'm convinced this explanation is indeed correct. I spent 3 hours in an Apple store yesterday before I got my 15inch "captured." The genius first said, "ah yes, the pooling" only later to claim to have never seen the problem before. I asked, "so where did you come up with the term 'pooling' then?"

Anyways, I got a new machine which like my first does not have white spots. However, the slightest pressure on the lid causes distortions on the LCD where the spots would be expected to occur. There is something between the display and aluminum that is bruising the LCD over time. I think my last set appeared only after I started carrying my PowerBook to work in a bag. Is the 15" really that fragile? Will normal use make these spots inevitable? Apple should be able to solve this if the 17" is unaffected. IMHO, this is not a defective LCD or due to the keyboard or heat. The display assembly seems defective and puts pressure on the lid which causes this spots.

BTW, I am 100% convinced that the foam packaging of my new PowerBook has reloacted the foam supports (away from the center of the PowerBook and toward the edges of the screen). Is this Apple's fix?

Other than this issue, this is the best Mac I've ever owned.
( Last edited by Target Practice; Oct 13, 2003 at 11:09 PM. )

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
I'm convinced this explanation is indeed correct. I spent 3 hours in an Apple store yesterday before I got my 15inch "captured." The genius first said, "ah yes, the pooling" only later to claim to have never seen the problem before. I asked, "so where did you come up with the term 'pooling' then?"

Anyways, I got a new machine which like my first does not have white spots. However, the slightest pressure on the lid causes distortions on the LCD where the spots would be expected to occur. There is something between the display and aluminum that is bruising the LCD over time. I think my last set appeared only after I started carrying my PowerBook to work in a bag. Is the 15" really that fragile? Will normal use make these spots inevitable? Apple should be able to solve this if the 17" is unaffected. IMHO, this is not a defective LCD or due to the keyboard or heat. The display assembly seems defective and puts pressure on the lid which causes this spots.

BTW, I am 100% convinced that the foam packaging of my new PowerBook has reloacted the foam supports (away from the center of the PowerBook and toward the edges of the screen). Is this Apple's fix?

Other than this issue, this is the best Mac I've ever owned.
The term "pooling" was also used by two Macgenius's at my local Apple store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules