Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac G4 better than imac G5?

imac G4 better than imac G5?
sledsbehave
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 12:22 AM

am i the only one that finds the G4 imac more pleasing than the imac G5. i love the floating screen, and seeing the enormous size of the G5 20", made me laugh out loud.

i was seriously thinking of getting the new G5 imac, but i think i like the old style so much better, i'm gonna search out an imac 20" even though i'll have to give up some power, the the screen adjustment alone should make up for it.

anyone agree?
as ever,
sonny

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 12:51 AM

Specs wise the new one is better in every way, if you like the look of the old one and can handle the lower specs go for it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
am i the only one that finds the G4 imac more pleasing than the imac G5. i love the floating screen, and seeing the enormous size of the G5 20", made me laugh out loud.

i was seriously thinking of getting the new G5 imac, but i think i like the old style so much better, i'm gonna search out an imac 20" even though i'll have to give up some power, the the screen adjustment alone should make up for it.

anyone agree?
Maybe you can keep the old iMac case, and work-in anew iMac into it (minus the new case, of course). This way you would get the best of both, and the new creation (more room inside) should keep the innards cooler.

Just kidding!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2004, 02:01 AM

Whatever floats your boat.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 09:16 AM

anyone agree?
I like the look of the iMac G4 more too, but I have an iMac G5 20" at home and absolutely love it. While the monitor adjusting ability isn't as cool as the iMac G4, it's just as easy to adjust both vertically and horizontally.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2004, 10:14 AM

If you're just talking about case design, I wholeheartedly agree.

sledsbehave  (op)
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by deboerjo:
If you're just talking about case design, I wholeheartedly agree.
yeah, i wish they had been able to keep the same design, but i suspect heat issues with the G5 were a problem.

i wish we could've gotten at least one more upgrade though, G4 1.5ghz --

or if it were upgradeable like the cube is on the cpu.
as ever,
sonny

Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 04:27 PM

yeah, i wish they had been able to keep the same design, but i suspect heat issues with the G5 were a problem.

i wish we could've gotten at least one more upgrade though, G4 1.5ghz --

or if it were upgradeable like the cube is on the cpu.
Just imagine the possibilities if Apple had created the iMac with slots for the CPU, and for the video card! Sonnet and others would provide us with some upgrades.

For example, even though I have a new iMac, my 7300/180MHz has been working with a Sonnet G3/400Mhz CPU for a few years now, and the computer works just fine. I have always kept the 7300 cool by adding more fans where needed. That's very difficult to do with the iMac G5. I can add and external fan to it's back cover, but I think I will wait until the warranty expires.

jmonty12
Dec 30, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
I like the look of the iMac G4 more too, but I have an iMac G5 20" at home and absolutely love it. While the monitor adjusting ability isn't as cool as the iMac G4, it's just as easy to adjust both vertically and horizontally.
As sold, the iMac G5 screen is not as adjustable as the G4 when it comes to being able to move the whole screen up and down. Of course without having the interals of the computer as part of the screen, the G4 is just more capable of being moved around more easily and freely.

But don't forget that Apple put a VESA-compatible mount on the back of the iMac G5. You can purchase a plethora of different mounts that will allow your G5 to float however you want. Of course these mounts aren't cheap, but do you want your G5 hanging there on something that will fall apart? Anyway a quick Google on mounts turned up this site:

http://www.ergotron.com/

I don't know anything about this company, but they appear to have a decent selection of flat panel mounting arms to choose from.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by jmonty12:
As sold, the iMac G5 screen is not as adjustable as the G4 when it comes to being able to move the whole screen up and down.
But don't forget that Apple put a VESA-compatible mount on the back of the iMac G5.
A great point, but I can't say I've found a mount that's as pleasant as the iMac G4's small base and pivot design. And especially the fact that no mounting screws were required on the G4.

I'm extremely surprised that Apple hasn't released VESA mounts... when will it happen?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
A great point, but I can't say I've found a mount that's as pleasant as the iMac G4's small base and pivot design. And especially the fact that no mounting screws were required on the G4.

I'm extremely surprised that Apple hasn't released VESA mounts... when will it happen?
I find it amazing that they haven't offered VESA mounts... considering the crap out there.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 07:24 PM

i havent seen the new imac in person, saw alot of pics, its not bad at all i might get one one day

vandelay
Jan 13, 2005, 11:23 AM

I got a new 20'' iMac G4 on ebay in December, because i felt, while i like the G5 design, that the G4 has a bit more "personality" and a more unique design.
At some point i'm probably going to get a G5 too (if i figure out how to justify buying another computer, got the funds and can decide where to put it,...wallmounted maybe?)

dru
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 11:30 AM

The G5 iMac is an ugly, styleless exploded iPod in comparison.

The iMac G4 flatpanel design rocks!
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

banninated68
Banned
Jan 14, 2005, 11:45 AM

I really don't like the g5 much at all... the specs are tempting...but man, I really LOVE the display on g4 imacs. It's incredible. Too bad apple took a step backwards, but it seems they're known for that.

FLYBOi
Banned
Jan 14, 2005, 11:56 AM

[NO SPAM]
( Last edited by tooki; Jan 14, 2005 at 02:24 PM. )

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 03:41 PM

I've always loved the G4 iMac, esp. since I bought mine.

There are some cool things about the G5, though.

As far as looks and functionality go, I think I'd go with the G4. I'd love to by another one to put on a corner table in my living room to run my sound system. It's so stylish.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

sledsbehave  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 04:28 PM

i am leaning towards buying one especially since the new mac mini just came out, i don't feel like apple will be abandoning the G4 for a few years at least.

you just can't beat the design of the G4 imac's - even if they had to make the base larger for the G4 and all, i wish they had stuck with it.

i do think it was/is more expensive to make the G4 design and this was likely the largest reason for moving onto the G5 design which seems very inexpensive to build with so many less parts and such.

i have thought of getting the mac mini now with an ice 20" display, since i could get both for roughly $1500 with eduction discount, which is a few hundred less than the imac G4 on ebay, and even the G5 imac 20".
as ever,
sonny

P
Jan 15, 2005, 03:59 PM

Personally, I prefer the G5 design to the G4 in every way, but I guess it depends on what you're using it for. If you don't need the power of the G5 (and it's a quite considerable boost) then by all means go ahead.

However, there are lots of VESA mounts. Typing "VESA mount" on Google turned up a few hunndred thousand hits, and only the sponsored links got me some way. There has to be one that you can accept.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 06:54 PM

I've just ordered a 20" G5. Personally I never really like the G4 iMac, whereas the G5 just rocks. It's just a screen, containing a computer. Wonderful.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2005, 08:31 PM

I like the G5 iMac for the G5, and for the easy access to its innards. The G4 was a beautiful and functional design, though, and I do miss it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jan 20, 2005, 02:28 AM

Each model of the iMac had its own sense of style which made it unique to the one before or after it. The sense of style reflects what is going on in their other product lines which is a smart move btw.

I didn't like the iMac G4 because of the floating display. I felt the AIO form factor was temporarily put on hold until they could find a replacement. I thought about getting one until I saw it in person. Just the opposite happened when I saw the iMac G5 online. Thought it was ugly. Went to the Apple Store to get an iPod 4G and the iMac G5 blew me away in size and design. Now that will be the computer I upgrade from the iMac G3

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 22, 2005, 07:05 AM

The iMac G4 is very nice, but there are a couple of things that are much more practical or cool about the iMac G5 in terms of ergonomics etc.

1) Big round footprint on the iMac G4. The iMac G5 actually takes up less room on the desk.
2) Tray load drive on the iMac G4. It was a bit clunky, and it always seemed to get in the way of everything, esp. if it was close to the keyboard.
3) The G5 is wall mountable. That's very cool for the living room computer types.
4) Easy access for iMac G5 upgrades.
5) Integrated speakers on the iMac G5.

Plus of course, that's not mentioning the fact that the iMac G5 blows away the iMac G4 in not only specs all around, but price too.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 09:30 AM

Who says the iMac G5 is far more powerful than the iMac G4? According to the extensive tests performed by Macintouch, the G5 at "normal" energy setting is no faster than a 1.2 GHz eMac. The eMac and iMac G4 would have to be pretty similar. It's only when you rest to "high" that the iMac G5 showed its speed but of course you now transformed a quiet machine into something less than quiet.

I have a feeling that the whole G5 line, especially in single processor machines, is much like the first generation of PowerPC. The real world performance of PowerPC didn't mirror the specs but the later generations, the G4s being the latest, progressively extracted the potential that was there. Will the G5s do the same down the road?

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by hudson1:
Who says the iMac G5 is far more powerful than the iMac G4? According to the extensive tests performed by Macintouch, the G5 at "normal" energy setting is no faster than a 1.2 GHz eMac. The eMac and iMac G4 would have to be pretty similar. It's only when you reset to "high" that the iMac G5 showed its speed but of course you now transformed a quiet machine into something less than quiet.

I have a feeling that the whole G5 line, especially in single processor machines, is much like the first generation of PowerPC. The real world performance of PowerPC didn't mirror the specs but the later generations, the G4s being the latest, progressively extracted the potential that was there. Will the G5s do the same down the road?

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 09:31 AM

Sorry, accidental double post.

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CharlesS:
I like the G5 iMac for the G5, and for the easy access to its innards. The G4 was a beautiful and functional design, though, and I do miss it. [/QUOTE

Good Point. It was extremely hard to get to the internal hard drive, or anything else inside, for that manner.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

P
Jan 22, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by hudson1:
Who says the iMac G5 is far more powerful than the iMac G4? According to the extensive tests performed by Macintouch, the G5 at "normal" energy setting is no faster than a 1.2 GHz eMac. The eMac and iMac G4 would have to be pretty similar. It's only when you rest to "high" that the iMac G5 showed its speed but of course you now transformed a quiet machine into something less than quiet.

It's far more powerful in many ways, most importantly the FSB (front side bus, AKA system bus) and the regular floating-point units. The FPUs are not a big deal, single-precision stuff can go through Altivec and only scientific apps use double precision to any extent, but the FSB is a killer... The G4s tried to alleviate this with large L3 caches, which works well in some cases and not at all in others. Those L3-caches are expensive, as are the G4s that supports them - note that that the G5 iMacs are cheaper. OpenGL-performance has also improved - the G5s have the same GPU as the old G4 iMacs, and performance improved by a large amount. 212 % or 83 %, it's still a lot for something that ought to be GPU limited.

Panther is optimized for G4s. There is certainly some to gain by using the regular 64bit integer registers instead of Altivec when possible - in fact, deemphasizing Altivec altogether would be a good deal for the G5s. How much this will do in the real world remains to be seen, but I feel memory move operations can gain a large amount. Right now the Achilles heal in my book is the disk performance, but I'm hoping there will be OS and firmware updates to fix this.

Also, the G5 iMacs are fairly quiet even when set to high. They're a little bit louder than my old G3 iMac, but not a problem, and if you'r eplaying some music you don't even hear it. About the same as the G4 iMacs, I'd say.

Forum Links
Forum Rules