Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would you get? 12" PB 867 or 12" iBook 1.2?

What would you get? 12" PB 867 or 12" iBook 1.2?
DMage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 02:11 PM

I am looking to finally finish switching over to Apple by booting out my Dell laptop in exchange for one of the following. My budget on this laptop is low ($900, $1000 MAX after tax & shipping) and I have narrowed it down to the following two laptops (but if you have another option, let me know). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Used 12" Powerbook 867 G4, excellent condition, 640MB Ram, 40GB Hard Drive, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Superdrive, no warranty

New 12" iBook 1.2 G4 from Amazon, $899 after rebate, 256MB Ram, 30GB Hard Drive, Airport Extreme, Combo drive, 1yr warranty

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 12:20 AM

Both are nice machines. I personally would go for the new iBook because it comes with the warranty and is fairly loaded. If you can manage to scrape together some extra cash I would add a larger HDD option. In the future when you get more money you can always add another $512 mb of ram or whatnot. Heck I have an extra 256mb pc2700 stick that would work in a current I book that I'd sell you for like $20. I'm sure many others here also have extra sticks that they swapped out - and be willing to get rid of them fairly cheaply.

The one feature to consider is the superdrive. If you would like to burn DVDs then definitely get the used powerbook. If not, then the iBook is great!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 12:23 AM

iBook.

If you wanna burn DVDs, get an external firewire DVD burner.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 01:03 AM

ibook from Amazon.

from amazon to save on taxes ( I believe there is no sales tax)

and free shipping, plus the rebate thing.. Amazon is awesome.

I've had a Powerbook 12" 1.3 ghz g4 for I guess over a year now, and and have decided I definately prefer the plastic shell over the aluminum.

Why? the aluminum is very cold at first..then it gets too warm after it runs awhile..(not so hot it would burn you but very warm).

I have a 500mhz ibook I actually prefer to use when I'm on the couch etc just because its more comfortable to hold...the aluminum case is just too "hard" , "sterile"....the ibook just just a "friendlier" laptop in my opinion.

I'm hoping the G5 powerbooks will be black plastic.

Basic Black has to make a comeback to Apple one of these days.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 01:21 AM

I have the 12" PB 867 and I prefer it over the iBook. I do like the plastic shell of the iBook but the PowerBook allows me to connect to an external monitor so I can double or triple my screen real estate with the PowerBook's dual monitor spanning capabilities.

The iBook can only "mirror" what is on the LCD screen. However, there are "unofficial" hacks that allow you to get dual monitor spanning on the iBook. You can probably Google for it.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 11:33 AM

I have a 12" 867 and I just got my girlfriend the new 12" iBook from amazon. Added a 512 ram to both, but really the iBook is considerably faster. The PB has its advantages, I upgraded mine to the superdrive and the 60GB and the bluetooth built-in is nice if you have a need for it. But when it comes down to it, the processor difference does make a noticeable difference in responsiveness and snappiness. Love my powerbook, better form factor, more rugged in a way, but if speed is what you are after, the iBook is the way to go on this one. Plus, if the powerbook doesn't come with 10.3 that is also something you have to factor in too.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

shreddog
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 11:42 AM

BTW. Apple has a refurbished iBook on their website for $849 with free shipping. Just an FYI.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

DMage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input, I am going to order a iBook from amazon now
iMac 17" 1.8 G5, 200GB Seagate Hard Drive, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth

mbryda
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by DMage:
Thanks to everyone for the input, I am going to order a iBook from amazon now
Don't - go to MacMall - it's $994, but you get 512MB additional RAM which will be worth it. OSX or XP with 256MB is just way too slow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules