Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!! (Page 9)
Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2005, 08:50 AM

can't search the whole thread but any 17" users got this?

So this works with 17" rev B?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

cuidado
Jan 17, 2005, 07:37 PM

Looks lite its unavailable atm, can anyone tell me if this is normal? If so, when can i expect it back?

69camaro
Jan 19, 2005, 12:57 AM

I just called them to get my stick warranted and they said they were expecting a shipment of 500 on the 10th, but that is not there yet. So expect it soon.

crazybeckhams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 11:37 AM

camaro, is that the 10 of february?
15" pb 1.25 80gb HD, bluetooth, airport
card, & superdrive, 20gb iPod(4G)

Be alert; the world needs more lerts.

69camaro
Jan 20, 2005, 02:38 AM

10th of Jan.

cuidado
Jan 20, 2005, 03:20 PM

Thats good. Suppose i can wait some days

crazybeckhams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 11:07 PM

Can't wait. I'm getting two of those babies.
15" pb 1.25 80gb HD, bluetooth, airport
card, & superdrive, 20gb iPod(4G)

Be alert; the world needs more lerts.

Kdog01
Jan 22, 2005, 02:05 PM

Just thought I would let everyone know that the Kingston 1gb stick is not only $179. I am more comfortable with the Kingston name that the generic Premium Ram everyone seems to be buying on here. I am ordering 2 immediately. I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Kdog01:
Just thought I would let everyone know that the Kingston 1gb stick is not only $179. I am more comfortable with the Kingston name that the generic Premium Ram everyone seems to be buying on here. I am ordering 2 immediately. I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere.
Do you have a link to the store where you bought the RAM? I browsed Kingston's website, but the price was over $400.

pumpkinapo
Jan 23, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Ricky:
Do you have a link to the store where you bought the RAM? I browsed Kingston's website, but the price was over $400.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/431...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

EvanV
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2005, 01:02 AM

Do these work with 15'' 1.25 ghz PB? (The kingston 1GB)

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2005, 04:55 AM

I purchased this memory and it is working like a charm. I've had it for about 3 days now and have had no problems .

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 03:39 PM

Well, conclusion about my RAM issue, Apple has changed my 17 rev.a PowerBook�s logic board, but anyway, it is not able to read the 1 GB RAM module. I have sent an e-mail to Legacy Electronics, the makers of the module I got from Fry�s Outpost, this is the reply to my mail:

Angel,

That module isn't compatible with your model of Macintosh computer. If you purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase then you need to return the module directly to Fry's Outpost. Unfortunately Legacy does not do warranties directly with end users. It is our policy that all warranties are to be done through our Re-sellers.

We have been advised by Fry's to have all customers handle their RMA issues to the store in which they purchased the module from.

So since lot of guys have working modules from Fry�s Outpost here, it looks like I am just out of luck. Well, since this RAM module does work on PC laptops, time to sell it, doh!

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Kdog01:
How long is the warranty on the Kingston 1gb? Is it of better quality then the generic Premium Ram brand? Is the Kingston 1 gb compatible to both a 12' and 15' powerbook? Thanks.

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 03:09 AM

Looks like the rebate on the Kingston ram is up in a few days (Feb 1).
15 inches of aluminum fury

EvanV
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
Looks like the rebate on the Kingston ram is up in a few days (Feb 1).
Old rebate was for Jan. 25th. Maybe just a marketing scheme?

djmpower
Jan 31, 2005, 07:54 PM

Can anyone confirm that this Kingston 1GB Memory from Outpost works on a Powerbook w/out any problems? The specs seem to be correct.

Thanks

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 03:06 PM

I've read a bunch of comments regarding how ppl do not notice the difference between 512 and 1.25. I dunno what they're using their computers for, but I always have itunes, adium, firefox running while i use either photoshop cs or macromedia studio fx. I have a 15" 1.5 pb. Is it true that the difference is minimal? I find this to be unlikely seeing that they more than doubled their ram (512 to 1.25). Please help me resolve this.

Fusion
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by PMDaly:
I've read a bunch of comments regarding how ppl do not notice the difference between 512 and 1.25. I dunno what they're using their computers for, but I always have itunes, adium, firefox running while i use either photoshop cs or macromedia studio fx. I have a 15" 1.5 pb. Is it true that the difference is minimal? I find this to be unlikely seeing that they more than doubled their ram (512 to 1.25). Please help me resolve this.
No, the difference is not minimal at all.

I have the same setup as you, and when I went from 512 to 1.25 it felt like getting a new computer. I run pretty much the same apps that you do and I still run out of memory all the time with 1.25gb. Imagine how much I must have been paging with only 512!?!

I will be purchasing another 1g stick to make it 2g as soon as I am back down in the states. I am convinced it is the best upgrade you can do to a mac.

I'd much rather have a g4 packed full of RAM than a g5 with only 512.

I promise you, you will notice a significant difference.

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 12:40 AM

Fusion, thank you for the response. Yeah, I doubted that it would NOT make a difference. 512 to 1.25 is much more than doubling it. I'll probly end up getting the gig ram. One thing though, just like all the other users, I'm worried about the quality of this ram. I am much more concerned with quality of product than of a great deal. Paying 30-50 extra bux really isn't that much in order to get the right product. That's what? A weekend where you don't go out to the bars? (I'm a college student ^^ ). My friend mentioned that there is one brand that a lot of ppl recommend for apple, but I haven't been in touch with him for a couple weeks here. Will higher quality ram make a difference? I know it makes a difference in realiability and usually customer support (ie lifetime warranties), but will it increase the performance of your computer more so than the cheapo?... question is open to all, not just fusion .... looking at these smilies... what's this guy mean? ... still alive? and what about this one? looks like asian characters. Where's the english one... i feel left out, discrimated maybe? racists!

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 06:57 PM

I just got off the phone with outpost regarding the RAM chip at the beginning of this thread. Right now, it's listed as "not available." So I thought I'd call and see if someone knew when it would be.

Whelp, at first he said that I could just get on a waiting list to be notified when more stock came in. However, I didn't see a way to get on the waiting list from the web page.

So he checked on the product. His demeanor suddenly changed. His bottom-line response was that they had removed the product. His exact words were, "Oh, they've removed that product. They must have had a good reason for taking that off of the web page."

It looks like the good deal on that chip has passed. *sigh* The best deal that I can find on a PC2700 DIMM that doesn't explicitly say "Not for Macintosh" is here: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...MP=OTC-dealram

That one is $195.99 (add $4.33 for shipping)

Anyone want to look at those specs and double-check that it's okay for Powerbooks? It seems to be right....

Mark

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 01:37 AM

Looks like some PB users have bought this stick:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-111&depa=0

Has good reviews, and a lot of them. I'd probably consider it. But Kingston has the name.
15 inches of aluminum fury

LadyBlue
Feb 3, 2005, 01:55 AM

I purchased the kingston ram from outpost.com w/ the rebate. I haven't had a problem yet, but then again I just installed it like 4 hrs ago.

Can already see a slight difference in loading time.
I <3 Macs!

69camaro
Feb 3, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by markponcelet:
I just got off the phone with outpost regarding the RAM chip at the beginning of this thread. Right now, it's listed as "not available." So I thought I'd call and see if someone knew when it would be.

Whelp, at first he said that I could just get on a waiting list to be notified when more stock came in. However, I didn't see a way to get on the waiting list from the web page.

So he checked on the product. His demeanor suddenly changed. His bottom-line response was that they had removed the product. His exact words were, "Oh, they've removed that product. They must have had a good reason for taking that off of the web page."

It looks like the good deal on that chip has passed. *sigh* The best deal that I can find on a PC2700 DIMM that doesn't explicitly say "Not for Macintosh" is here: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...MP=OTC-dealram

Anyone want to look at those specs and double-check that it's okay for Powerbooks? It seems to be right....

Mark
At the reading of this i immediatly looked up my order number for my warranted stick, and "Brenden" on the customer service staff looked it up and it is still on backorder. It is, however, available still. Tomorrow i am calling back to speak to the product manager in regards to something that can be worked out.

Fusion
Senior User
Feb 4, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by PMDaly:
Fusion, thank you for the response. Yeah, I doubted that it would NOT make a difference. 512 to 1.25 is much more than doubling it. I'll probly end up getting the gig ram. One thing though, just like all the other users, I'm worried about the quality of this ram. I am much more concerned with quality of product than of a great deal. Paying 30-50 extra bux really isn't that much in order to get the right product. That's what? A weekend where you don't go out to the bars? (I'm a college student ^^ ). My friend mentioned that there is one brand that a lot of ppl recommend for apple, but I haven't been in touch with him for a couple weeks here. Will higher quality ram make a difference? I know it makes a difference in realiability and usually customer support (ie lifetime warranties), but will it increase the performance of your computer more so than the cheapo?... question is open to all, not just fusion .... looking at these smilies... what's this guy mean? ... still alive? and what about this one? looks like asian characters. Where's the english one... i feel left out, discrimated maybe? racists!
The brand name of RAM will make no difference either way. It is still the same speed and same size. What makes a difference in the brand is the warranty, etc.. that you get with it.

The brand that people usually recommend is Kensington I believe because that is the brand that Apple uses. I could be wrong on this, as this is off the top of my head, so get a better source first.

However, it is still possible to get bad RAM, even if you ordered it from Apple.

The thing to watch out for is the return policy. You will usually know if it is bad RAM or not pretty fast, so make sure that wherever you buy it, you are allowed to return it if it is bad.

I bought my 1gig from Fry's and I couldn't be happier. It works great. There is no difference between this stick and another stick from a brand name. And I have the Fry's return policy behind me so that is good too.

kjd88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 09:19 PM

apple uses samsung ram

69camaro
Feb 5, 2005, 10:42 PM

After getting fed up with the customer support line at outpost pertaining to warranting my RAM. I went ahead and took their free shipping + upgrade to different stick for price difference.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4054652

Lifetime warranty too so i hope it works better than the one on page one of here.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 8, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
Looks like some PB users have bought this stick:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-111&depa=0

Has good reviews, and a lot of them. I'd probably consider it. But Kingston has the name.
Looks good, but never heard of Kingmax RAM.

fr8ser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 03:03 PM

i like the newegg kingmax deal, but i am in canada and they do not ship up here.... i looked at canadacomputers but they are out of stock for a month at least, so i am checking out macramdirect.com has anyone dealt with these guys before

they tell me they ship differnt ram depending on whats in stock samsung gigaram legacy infineon etc.

not sure, any input is appreciated

fr8ser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 03:47 PM

also,
any new updates on kingmax performance.. and freezing after sleep or system instability or slowdowns?

porieux
Baninated
Feb 9, 2005, 04:47 PM

Am thinking of ordering this Kingmax since my PB showed up.

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 05:41 PM

I ordered the kingmax ram from newegg. It worked for one day and then I started getting kernel panics randomly. In the year I've had this powerbook this is the first kernel panic I've had. I took out the ram and no more crashes.

I've sent it back and hopefully the new one they send me will work. It doesn't seem like others have had any problem with this module and kingmax website seems to state that it's compatible with the powerbook G4s so I assume it was just a bad one I got.

Good luck.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2005, 10:54 PM

I just ordered 1gig of kingmax ram from newegg.com. I got the package today and they sent me two 1 gig sticks! I only ordered and paid for 1! I really dont mind this happening, but I hope the extra stick is not backup in case the the other fails and causes kernel panic's.

colecovizion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 07:12 PM

I just got the KingMax from newegg. I put it in and everything seemed to work fine. As an ultimate test, I reinstalled OSX 10.3. It didn't make it through with the 1gig in there. Also, many of the software update items didn't install properly. This left me with 10.3.8 installed half way. So, be warned. Be sure to test out your RAM in as many taxing situations as possible!

porieux
Baninated
Feb 11, 2005, 06:59 AM

Wow I think I will be ponying up for some Samsung RAM

Hope that works out for you.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
I just ordered 1gig of kingmax ram from newegg.com. I got the package today and they sent me two 1 gig sticks! I only ordered and paid for 1! I really dont mind this happening, but I hope the extra stick is not backup in case the the other fails and causes kernel panic's.
Just installed and did the apple hardware test with no problems. So I guess the kingmax ram is not so bad, especially with the 2 for 1 deal!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by colecovizion:
I just got the KingMax from newegg. I put it in and everything seemed to work fine. As an ultimate test, I reinstalled OSX 10.3. It didn't make it through with the 1gig in there. Also, many of the software update items didn't install properly. This left me with 10.3.8 installed half way. So, be warned. Be sure to test out your RAM in as many taxing situations as possible!
How do you know for sure it was the RAM?
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
Looks good, but never heard of Kingmax RAM.
Well I ordered one for a RevD 12" hopefully things will be ok....

Will report back after installed....

reybart
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 05:29 PM

I always bought mine here.So Far i do not have any problems on their memory and even cheaper than crucial. http://www.oempcworld.com/go.mvc?ID=1.0G-SO2700LH

fr8ser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 09:40 PM

the kingmax has been in and running all day wiht no issues as of yet... restarted may times.. ran techtools 4 ram test and apple hardware test

keeping my fingers crossed

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
Well I ordered one for a RevD 12" hopefully things will be ok....

Will report back after installed....
Recieved the ram a day early...

And no problems yet with a RevC 15" Combo Drive....

Very nice....

Dima202
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 06:06 PM

Hey guys, I contacted Legacy and their wholesale price for this ram is $185???
I don't get it, where if outpost getting this from?"
BTW, I am trying to make an online business can anyone please refrence me to some wholesale companies that sell ram, mobos, etc..?

Thanks.

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 08:38 PM

I've had mine in my Rev C 12" PB for 1 month now and everything is great.

fridexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 03:00 PM

If you don't mind buying a 512mb RAM stick for $75 after rebate, you can check out this product at CompUSA

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...06222&pfp=cat3

Or better yet, 512mb Kingston for $63+tax after rebate at Fry's. If you're lucky, you can just pick it up in store.

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op...04&sku=4036722
( Last edited by fridexter; Feb 18, 2005 at 03:35 PM. )

porieux
Baninated
Feb 18, 2005, 06:25 PM

Yeah but 512MB is really a waste of a slot in a PB.

fridexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
Yeah but 512MB is really a waste of a slot in a PB.
PHOTOSHOP MASTER

jian nan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 06:42 PM

I agree, its 1gig or bust. I mean all i use on my pbook is adium itunes and safari and damn, i think that extra 512MB brings extra delight as i don't experience lag when i turn on shuffle! Apple should take back their pbook and give you a refund for wasting such a slot.
( Last edited by jian nan; Feb 18, 2005 at 06:53 PM. )

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by markponcelet:

Mark
Just ordered a 1 gig stick of Kingmax for $183 from Newegg ($200 after tax + shipping). I didn't get the Newegg "extended" warranty because there's a lifetime warranty from the vendor themselves. I'll give them hell if they deny it.

I'll let you guys know how it works in my 15" Aluminum 1.25 GHz.

edit: The RAM I bought was not the quoted one, it was the Kingmax: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-111&depa=0
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Feb 18, 2005 at 08:50 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:42 PM

Just received my exchange kingmax ram from Newegg. The first module caused random kernel panics. This one freezes the system before I can even log in. It's on a powerbook G4/1ghz/aluminum.

It's going back and they better not charge me a restocking fee!

What a waste of money. I've spent, including this return, over $25 on shipping. Better to just buy a name brand from the beginning and not deal with the frustration.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know. Hope you have better luck.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 22, 2005, 12:14 AM

I ended up getting the Samsung 1GB stick from DataMem for 279.

Seems to be good so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules