Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > WD My Book Pro hard drive failure?

WD My Book Pro hard drive failure?
cspuryear
Feb 22, 2009, 10:36 AM

So I've had a My Book Pro (triple interface) for about 2 years now, using it as my Time Machine backup. Within the last few days, when Time Machine would initiate a backup, I'd just hear clicking from the external drive. The "light" on the front is on, and I know it's getting power. I had it hooked up via FW400.

SO what did I do? Reset the PRAM on the machine, Reset the SMC by unplugging EVERYTHING, waiting about 5-10 minutes, and then slowly plugging everything back in. I've tried USB and FW800 cables instead of the FW400.....NOTHING. I can NOT see the drive through Disk Utility, I even booted from the Mac OS DVD to see if I could see it through Disk Utility that way.....NOTHING. I then tried Diskwarrior, still nothing. The System Profiler sees the drive, but that's it.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or am I screwed?
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 22, 2009, 10:56 AM

How about completely shutting down the drive itself? Have you unplugged it (power and interface) and let it sit for several minutes? I'd leave it for at least five (timed) minutes. It could be that the interface hardware is just "confused" and needs its own hard reboot.

'Course if you've tried this already, then I have no ideas to offer...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cspuryear  (op)
Feb 22, 2009, 11:20 AM

Yep, I left it powered off all night and plugged it back in this morning. The drive powers up, and I hear a very faint "click-click" noise, but won't mount over any interface. I just whipped out my work laptop (PC) and try to see the drive via USB there with no luck....

I'm thinking the drive may be hosed.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 22, 2009, 03:54 PM

Hosed, toast, whatever euphemism you use, that persistent clicking sound is BAD. Sounds like time to open up the enclosure and see if you can remove the drive and install it in something else, just in case it's a problem with the interface hardware in the enclosure.

cspuryear  (op)
Feb 22, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Hosed, toast, whatever euphemism you use, that persistent clicking sound is BAD. Sounds like time to open up the enclosure and see if you can remove the drive and install it in something else, just in case it's a problem with the interface hardware in the enclosure.
Just took it apart, now I've got to figure out how to get it into something else.....

cspuryear  (op)
Mar 11, 2009, 04:35 PM

Follow-up....turns out it was the My Book enclosure and cables. I took out the drive, bought a little SATA -> USB dongle to test the drive out, and it works!!! I ordered a MiniStack v2.5, installed the hard drive in it last night, and everything works like a charm!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2009, 07:09 PM

I'm glad it was something straightforward, rather than "this problem is only there when the moon is..." Know what I mean? And since it's just the controller, maybe the maker will replace it for you-it's obviously not the drive, so it's something they did that failed. Give it a shot-all it'll cost you is time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules