Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Digital Audio upgrade question

Digital Audio upgrade question
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 12:30 PM

I just acquired a 1.7GHz Sonnet CPU upgrade from a coworker. He originally bought it for his Cube, and the box has a ticker that says "Only for Power Mac G4 Cube". It seems as though the non-Cube version of this card is identical except for the inclusion of a heatsink.

Will this card work in my Digital Audio G4? Can I use that machine's stock heatsink (I have the 733MHz model), or do I need to get a larger heatsink for the card?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2009, 04:58 PM

Seems like I've figured it all out. I had to boot into OS 9, install a firmware update, boot back into Leopard, install Sonnet's firmware patcher...after which I could finally install the actual CPU.

Runs great. I'll keep an eye on the temp to see if I need a bigger heatsink for it, but I imagine it'll be all right.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2009, 11:57 PM

Your fans may run a bit more now to compensate.
Do you have pre-upgrade CPU temps, I'm just curious to see if there's a difference.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 03:57 PM

I love posts like these. Always great to see folks repurposing older machines for uses... I just acquired a 2nd gen mini (i know you guys are talking older machines but repurposing is always commended ) and i was thinking of using it attached to my flat screen... That would make a machine in every room . Now that i think about it perhaps i should give this to someone that actually needs it and just keep my laptop on the coffee table.

p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Forum Links
Forum Rules