Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do I need a new logic board?

Do I need a new logic board?
jtgolfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2009, 06:59 PM

I'm dealing with a friend's G4 933MHz iBook (Tiger OS). During the boot process it either freezes or advances to the Apple Logo and "spinning wheel" screen and then goes to a blue screen.

I connected it to my laptop in Target Disk Mode and ran Disk Utility. The HD tested OK. I could add or retrieve files without a problem. I also booted into the mode where you see only the command line. I did a check disk and again, no problems.

I have zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU. The latter step helped bring it along a little.

It will not start up off DiskWarrior or a Tiger OS Install Disk. In both cases it eventually freezes or goes to blue screen.

I'm not too wild about undertaking the 50-plus steps for swapping a logic board, but I would if I knew that would fix it.

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Nov 18, 2009, 07:41 PM

Why don't you try reinstalling (archive & install or clean) the OS over target disk mode if the machine itself can't boot from an OS install disk?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2009, 09:06 PM

( Last edited by dowNNshift; Nov 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM. )

jtgolfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2009, 10:08 PM

To Steve — that's an alternative but I thought I'd get some opinions first. I have cleaned off the drive but will have to locate a PPC Mac to install in TDM.

to dowNNshift — Used boards are available on eBay for less than $125 and I'll do the labor for free.

Thanks.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2009, 12:24 AM

You get what you pay for....

jtgolfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2009, 01:18 AM

Yeah, and sometimes you overpay. A new board is worth more than the iBook.

It's definitely worth the gamble for someone who can't afford to lay out what you removed from your post.

jtgolfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2009, 01:27 PM

Steve,

The iBook froze twice in TDM when I was trying to install from another G4 Mac. I then attached an external, bootable HD with 10.4 installed and restarted the iBook. Once the spinning wheel appeared the boot process froze.

I also tried to boot in Safe Mode and got a Kernel Panic.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009, 02:24 PM

First things first.. check if there is any third party ram installed. If so, remove and try again. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules