Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2010, 02:03 AM

So Dakar, what do you think of the game so far? I'm debating if I should pick it up on Black Friday when it drops to $35. I'm getting a little burnt out (no pun intended) of first person shooters but can't go back to Burnout Paradise because the online community is dead.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Nov 22, 2010 at 02:12 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 10:07 AM

I was gonna start this thread today. Of course I was going to name it "Hot Pursuit City".

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2010, 12:24 PM

I was going to get the demo download of this but its gone. Once GT5 gets delivered I'll be busy on that anyway, finishing Forza 3 may take longer . Too. Many. Games!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

Alright, time for my review. I'll be as honest as possible.

First off, the game has not only reignited my hatred of EA, it has done so with such force that it has pushed them back to the top of my list, past Activision. I forgot the game came with their damnable Online Pass system, which, it turns out, if you don't enter your code immediately, will be a prompt that greets you every time you play the game, even though you don't have to be online to play (and that Autolog works regardless).

More importantly, it what has to be the single most despicable act I can ever remember a game doing, after I set up initial options but before I could play the game, I was forced to watch a teaser trailer for next year's NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed. They made me sit through a trailer for the sequel that won't be released for a year. I don't how these people sleep at night.

Now, the actual game. As previously mentioned in reviews, the game has two circuits, one for each side of the law. Where I noticed many mentioned that you could switch circuits at any time, it felt implied that this would help your progression; It doesn't. If you do a cop race because none of the Racer offerings appeal to you, those same unappealing offerings will be waiting for you when you're done busting racers.

The rank system is enjoyable enough. It's pretty easy to unlock cars; Through the first 10 or 15 races I unlocked a car each time. Detracting from then immersion is the generic pic used for your racer. Since a token driver exists for you cars, a straight-forward character designer would be nice; In its absence they could at least use the Paradise City system of using your gamerpic or Live Vision pic as your avatar. An odd step back.

On the racer side, there's a good variety of events. Normal Races, Pursuits, Gauntlets (Solo Pursuits), Duels, and Previews off he top of my head. Car selections for these range from annoyingly limited to completely arbitrary (you'll be unlocking a lot of cars but not using them, or playing several races in cars you haven't unlocked). It's very strange. The first four a quite fun, but I find the Duels and Previews to be boring at best and irritating at worst.

Gameplay is solid. I think they found the exact sweet spot as far as physics are concerned. Cars are fairly easy to control, but still retain individuality. A sense of speed may not be as prevalent as in Paradise, but I chalk that up to the venue. Traffic exists here, and fantastically, it's finally licensed common cars (previous NFS may have done this, but it was absent from previous Hot Pursuits). It's not as thick as in Paradise, but again, blame venue and possibly saving some CPU cycles for other parts of the game.

In the feature mode, they've done a lot to add depth to what could be a very bland or frustrating experience in the past. In NFS III cops had to slow you down to a crawl to bust you, and only had one means with which to do so: Getting in front of you (rubberbanding) and then slamming on the brakes. You could also wreck, but that would be self-inflicted.

In HP2: The offerings had expanded to include spike strips and road blocks, but spike strips were deployed with ample warning and the road blocks would usually be blown through without too much slow down (the absence of IIIs crazy flip physics actually made crashing through cars a safer experience).

In this, each side is given offensive and defensive weapons of varying power. Both sides get spike strips, and then there are EMPs, Jammers, Turbo Boosts, Road blocks and Helicopters. Enough to keep things lively. The goal now, though, has been changed to inflicting raw damage (For each side. Races can no longer lose the cops); Where before hitting a spike strip meant game over, all it does now is inflict a perplexingly large amount of damage. Slowing someone down accomplishes nothing. Road blocks have also been increased in effectiveness. Whereas before crashing into one merely slowed you car down a great deal, now it wrecks your car (but also provides an "eye of the needle" to thread through). EMPs aren't as effective as you think; They act more like limiters (though I haven't seen how they affect controlling the steering yet). The rest seem self-explanatory.

Track design is solid. Nothing has grabbed my attention as anything special, but the styling does harken back to it's predecessor Hot Pursuit 2. The absence of any looped courses (so far) is disappointing, but the Point A to B racing does feel like another homage to its predecessors.

The graphics are a step up from Paradise City. Licensed cars don't hurt, but I have to think that the reduce complexity of the backdrop coupled with a simplified damage system work wonder for how they could improve the eye candy. Still, the longer I play the more I have trouble believing it holds up with something as old as PGR4. I can't say definitely until I put more time in.

Sound is another area of improvement from Paradise City. The cars sound more realistic(and don't upshift into infinity). They still are prone to some odd side noises I can't put my finger quite on. Pursuits are intense as it sounds like the cop sires are in your living room in Surround.

Online: I haven't had a chance to test this properly, but the early results aren't encouraging. I tried to play with randoms last night, but when I chose "Quick Match" it said I had no friends available to join. I feared this meant the game could only be played with friends but a quick perusal online today says that's the case. The bad news is it sounds like I chose the correct option to go online. Obviously I've missed something, but the fact that it isn't apparent is a definite strike against the game.

Another strike against the game is the lack of online freeroam. In singleplayer you can drop your self almost anywhere with any car in your stable and drive around in what is a rather bland consequence free environ (An ability to attract cops attentions as a racer or bust passing by racers as a cop seem obvious). This mode is apparently missing online, as you can only do races with friends. Coming from the company that made Burnout Paradise this is inexplicable and unacceptable. I expect this to be addressed in a patch.

Extras: Expanding on Paradise City's Road Rules, the game creates Autolog, their self-descried "Facebook of NFS". Even though friends only have played the demo, those few tracks played were listed in my autolog as times to beat (and should someone buy this in the future, I have read the autolog will update me when people beat my times, which is an improvement over scouring the map in BP looking to see where I am no longer gold online).

Also includes is an underwhelming photo mode. You can take pictures while racing, provided you have both the presence of mind and superhuman reflexes. The lack of a Theater option is not too much of a surprise coming from Paradise City, but it is a huge oversight when you consider almost all racing games have replays available, down to the original NFS III: Hot Pursuit in 1998. In the end it smacks of laziness.

Finally, on a note from an enthusiast of the original NFS and Paradise City: There are no jumps. This could be the biggest sin committed in this game. Criterion anted up on implementing an arcade-like physics system, but then went vanilla on the offerings. While the venue doesn't provide the easiest opportunity to implement crazy (or even sane) jumps, the numerous short-cuts available feel so much vanilla without these hallmarks of the previous offerings. Color me quite disappointed.

Overall: It's probably not worth the $60 unless you're a huge NFS & Criterion fan. I probably haven't communicated it with the critique, but when you just play the game, its quite fun, though I think you'll only put in sessions much shorter than in Paradise City. Recommended as a rental or if you can pick it up on the heap ($40).

Note: I didn't bother editing this. Excuse mistakes or a really crappy formatting for a review.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 01:03 PM

The social stuff kinda killed it for me. Honestly, until they get back to the Most Wanted style, I've let the franchise go.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 01:09 PM

I let the franchise go after Underground. It's a shame, but the current market doesn't support the old NFS model (I-IV), and thats all I want, really.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2010, 05:13 PM

Online Pass? **** you EA! I really want to support Criterion but I refuse to buy a game with that shitty Online Pass System.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
More importantly, it what has to be the single most despicable act I can ever remember a game doing, after I set up initial options but before I could play the game, I was forced to watch a teaser trailer for next year's NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed. They made me sit through a trailer for the sequel that won't be released for a year. I don't how these people sleep at night.
That's just despicable.

Oh well, Crazy Taxi comes out on XBLA on the 24th. I may get that instead.

paulthetall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2010, 03:33 AM

I ported these games last few days for you guys to the Mac:

Need For Speed Carbon
Need for Speed ProStreet
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Burnout Paradise

Tonight will follow Need For Speed Undercover

Watch the how to vdeos here:
Wineskin Courses

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010, 01:55 AM

Ugh, man I was gonna pick it up on Friday, but after reading Dakar's review, I don't think even $35 is worth spending for it.

On the fence on this one...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 10:56 AM

I dunno I still said it was fun and worth $40, it just wasn't everything it could be (or more accurately, I wished it would be).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2010, 01:45 PM

Thoughts, Jawbone?

I hope that wasn't a copy someone lent you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 02:24 AM

I only clocked in about an hour of gameplay, so I'm going to hold off a final verdict for now, but my first impressions are very, very positive (got it for $40 as well).

Also, the online pass thing doesn't bother me at all. If game companies are really hemorrhaging money like they say they are due (in part) to used game sales, then I don't care if they ensure they're getting something. I'd rather them do this than shut down more studios or cut personnel.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, the online pass thing doesn't bother me at all. If game companies are really hemorrhaging money like they say they are due (in part) to used game sales, then I don't care if they ensure they're getting something. I'd rather them do this than shut down more studios or cut personnel.
Big if. How do you know used gamers aren't funding gamers who buy shrink-wrapped games?

It's all BS anyway, as they're charging for online access because they claim online used gamers of being a drain to resource, resources that aren't being doubled-up on because the original owner is no longer online.

EA is just cheap.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 04:42 PM

Enjoyed the matches last night, but would be a lot better if we could get about four more guys to buy the game and hop on...

*COUGH*

[EDIT] It was $30 on Amazon a few hours ago.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2010, 07:49 PM

Yeah, those matches were a little lonely just the two of us. I keep forgetting to test out the regular online.

---

One my favorite modes so far is the Gauntlet – just you and the cops. I managed to finish one without ever fighting the cops… everytime it showed them up ahead I just plowed into them for the insta-takedown. What's odd, though is on the second spotting, two were sitting next to each other, so I plow into the first it shows me slightly off-screen what I imagine is taking down the second, but when the game resumed the music turned to chase, but there were no cops to be found. Amusing either way.

One pet peeve (aside from some of the filler race modes), I think I was in some type of Hot Pursuit or some other race mode and I got a silver medal for finishing first. Look, either make it that I need to complete by a certain time or a certain place. Not both.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2010, 08:07 PM

Oh, I forgot to add, I'm so impressed with the power-up system it seems like a no-brainer that they should have added an arcade mode where everyone races with power-ups and no ability to DNF from damage.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2010, 10:51 PM

Bought it this morning at Best Buy for $35. Gonna crack it open tonight. See ya on sometime. Hopefully we can meet up and do some races.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2010, 12:58 AM

Free vehicle DLC if the trailer gets 1 million views by Dec 12

The BentleyContinental Supersports Convertible

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 650-4 Roadster

Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible Final Edition

It's got around 180K views. Check out the trailer here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2010, 02:25 AM

Finally played this online. Did three races, finished first three times. First a straight-up race, wrecking near the start and climbing all the way back to finish with a 10 sec + lead. Second in Hot Pursuit Mode, as a Outlaw (or whatever the hell they call it), and finally 1 v 1 as a cop.

So far the connections were ultra-tight, it was quite smooth.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2010, 11:52 AM

Wow! Look at that Bentley going opposite lock without any body roll!

Also, you mislabeled the Conti and the Lambo.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for stopping by.

---

http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog/career

Stats aren't online, but it's a step in right direction yet.

Remember when I was complaining about the lack of xbox live vision usage for you profile pic? Well apparently that is built-in. While there is no obvious gamerpic usage what is available is uploading a pic online. This seems ultra-crazy since it seems possible you might be able to put some NFSW stuff on there, but whatever. I really didn't have any pics available when I tried it out, so I ended up uploading Edgar Allen Poe with a popped collar. It actually looks really awesome online (and appeared near instantaneously).

Paradoxically while you might be able to post a NSFW pic for people to see online (secret detection algorithms notwithstanding), I couldn't post "Suck it" to a Friend's wall. Retarded.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 11:22 AM

Saw on the autolog, stogie got the game after all. Sweet. Bogues, we expect you by xmas.

K and I did two hours worth of races last night. Really need to unlock some more cars, K, so we can play on the second class of cars. (That'd also speed up those Hot Pursuit events)

Interceptor mode is awesome in theory, but is tilted heavily in favor of the racer. All you have to do is get neck neck with the cop, Jam them, do a 180º and turbo in the other direction and chances are you'll be long gone before they know what happened.

I'm looking for a nice organized car list online, but nobody seems to have it sorted by series.

Speaking of which, the game has a somewhat annoying amount of duplicate versions of some cars. Including perplexing "Need for Speed" versions.

Lastly, koenigsegg might be the gayest car company name ever. Was Takeissack taken?

Edit: Also, friendly fire is really dumb online

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Lastly, koenigsegg might be the gayest car company name ever.
Sounds like a coffee maker or something. Then again, many Swedish automakers have other products that they make, so maybe there is a Koenigseggeggnigseggeg coffee pot out there.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2010, 11:12 PM

K and I did two hours worth of races last night. Really need to unlock some more cars, K, so we can play on the second class of cars. (That'd also speed up those Hot Pursuit events)

Interceptor mode is awesome in theory, but is tilted heavily in favor of the racer. All you have to do is get neck neck with the cop, Jam them, do a 180º and turbo in the other direction and chances are you'll be long gone before they know what happened.
Yah, I'll be on tonight around 11:15 your time if you're game. If not, I'll just play some single player so I can try to rank up.

I played a game of interceptor after you got off last night and the racer I was playing against tried doing that. Luckily you told warned me before hand and so it didn't confuse me.

Stogie, get your ass online and get to ranking up.

Bogues, don't wait too long to get the game buddy!

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Luckily you told warned me before hand and so it didn't confuse me.
Did anyone else read this in the voice of the kid at the end of GI Joe: Pork Chop Sandwiches?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2010, 10:40 PM

Really need to unlock some more cars, K, so we can play on the second class of cars. (That'd also speed up those Hot Pursuit events)
I made level 5 on the cop career which gave me access to Highway Patrol cars. Just gotta get to level 5 with the racing cars (currently at 4).

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2010, 10:58 PM

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010, 10:18 PM

Stog, Dakar, when are we gonna meet up? I'm really itching to get an online game going.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 10:50 AM

Whenever. I imagine I'll be around this weekend.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2010, 01:07 PM

Looks like when you download the 1.1 update you get the 3 free cars mentioned above with it. A mere 240 mb of space. Not like the Burnout Paradise updates that were over 1.5 gigs.

I got the Sports Pack DLC the other night. Haven't had the chance to play it, but looking forward to it. We'll see if it's worth the 560 points.

Oh, speaking of Burnout Paradise, it seems EA has permanently dropped all of its DLC...

• Burnout Paradise Big Surf Island - 560 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Cops & Robbers - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Party - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Toy Car Collection 1 - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Toy Car Collection 2 - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Toy Collection - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Legendary Cars Collection - 400 MSP
• Burnout Paradise Boost Specials Pack - 400 MSP

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2010, 01:58 PM

I got Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on my iPad for 99 cents. Haven't had a chance to play it yet.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2011, 06:25 AM

... Slowing someone down accomplishes nothing. ....
Oh yes, it does!!!
First I thought I wouldn't like this game very much but now, after a few hours of playing mostly as cop (level 11 now), I really really enjoy this game! SO MUCH FUN!
And slowing down an opponent can make you bust the racer. I managed to do this twice so far. Get ahead of him and make a 180° and don't let him pass. If you can do this for 3-4 seconds, he's finished!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Oh yes, it does!!!
First I thought I wouldn't like this game very much but now, after a few hours of playing mostly as cop (level 11 now), I really really enjoy this game! SO MUCH FUN!
And slowing down an opponent can make you bust the racer. I managed to do this twice so far. Get ahead of him and make a 180° and don't let him pass. If you can do this for 3-4 seconds, he's finished!
Yeah, you're right. I learned that much later along and didn't think to mention it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2011, 11:27 AM

Yeah, you're right. I learned that much later along and didn't think to mention it.
The first time it happened by accident - I just wanted to crash him but was too close to get enough speed and therefore just blocked him...with surprising success!
It's quite risky though and doesn't make much sense with more than 1 opponent...

(last night I was so happy to get a 3Min gold achievement with 2:59:96 )
( Last edited by badidea; Jan 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2011, 05:48 AM

Well it's almost 2am here and I finally finished this damn game. There is a race that's like 43 miles at the end of the racer career that sucks! Basically takes over 13 min to finish!

I even finished the DLC.

Gotta start a new game. Maybe the first Dead Space game and then #2.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 09:00 AM

I only finished the Cop part so far...well at least I got to see the credits after I finished the last cop race but I can still reach a few more levels I think.
In the racer part I'm level 9 or 10 right now and some challenges are starting to get really difficult!
How the heck do you beat those races where it's just you and the cops? Even when I am really fast with taking down the cops (maybe first quarter of the track), they already slowed me down so much that I only come in close enough for bronze medal!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2011, 12:39 PM

Try boosting into the cops when they're parked on the side of the road right before you pass them. Other than that, don't let them ram your car from behind and avoid the spike strips. Boost into them to take them out otherwise.

You got some tough challenges ahead if you're shooting for all gold medals.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 12:41 PM

Jam the first one you come upon. Pretty sure that stops them from chasing you.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 02:30 PM

"Raspberry? There's only one man who would dare give me the Raspberry."

A Slideshow for those of you at work without YouTube.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 02:31 PM

LoneStar!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2011, 01:10 AM

AWESOMENESS x10

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2011, 01:21 AM

Here's an interesting TrueAchievement stat:

NFS Hot Pursuit
1,195 total gamerscore possible
2,318 TA score possible

Burnout Paradise
1,250 total gamerscore possible
2,371 TA score possible

The golddigger achievement (complete the game with all gold medals in racer career) is worth 283 TA score. It is now ranked as my top TA achievement score, thus finally surpassing A Monument To All Your Sins (Complete Solo Legendary campaign on Halo Reach) that's worth 265 TA score.

If they release more DLC for Hot Pursuit, it should pass Burnout Paradise for a higher total TA score for a game.

I know, this is very interesting stuff...

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Try boosting into the cops when they're parked on the side of the road right before you pass them. Other than that, don't let them ram your car from behind and avoid the spike strips. Boost into them to take them out otherwise.

You got some tough challenges ahead if you're shooting for all gold medals.
Boosting into them when they're still parked should be worth a try - boosting into them on the road didn't work a few times already! That costs too much time (they never got me with a spike strip so far)!

Gold medals are only hard on the time challenges (without opponents) and sometimes on the one-on-one cop races (I just hate when my helicopters are taking me down more often than my opponent) but at least it's fun to try those more often.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2011, 03:52 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2011, 03:57 PM

I bet the breakdown would look similar by age, too.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2011, 02:45 AM

It was a matter of time before they announced new DLC...

3 New DLC map packs starting Feb 22

"Armed and Dangerous" will add two new game modes: Most Wanted and Arms Race. Arms Race involves racing in cars equipped with weapons. Most Wanted sees players team up in a new take on the Cops vs. Racers game type. The racers work together to protect the one 'Most Wanted' car, whilst the cops work together to catch it.

Most wanted game mode sounds pretty fun! Dakar, not sure if you're done with this game or not but man, we should get a game of this shit going if you don't mind spending 580 M$ points on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules