Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5-cent part = $1500 repair?

5-cent part = $1500 repair?
jknox7230
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 03:35 PM

Okay, so I thought I could upgrade my hard drive in my Al PB G4 17" without a problem.

The problem? I lost the clamp part of the trackpad ribbon cable retaining clip. You know that little plastic piece that you have to slide back before you can wiggle the ribbon cable loose? Yep, that's what I can't find, the cable won't make good contact with the connector on the logic board and my PB won't start up anymore.

The best part? My wife says to me, as she sees me starting to open the case: "Don't break it..." Thanks, Honey...

Anyway, given the fact that I've been told by one repair shop that the fix will cost near $1500 because of Apple's "abuse" policy, and others online are in the $450-900 range for the fix, can I just get a dead logic board of the same type and pull that slidey part off to resurrect my PB?
( Last edited by jknox7230; Nov 30, 2007 at 08:03 AM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2007, 03:39 PM

I see no reason why you couldn't swap the part from a broken logic board, or look really hard for the bit you lost.

jknox7230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I see no reason why you couldn't swap the part from a broken logic board, or look really hard for the bit you lost.
Oh, I've been doing that, Sean, have no fear. So far the wife doesn't know about my -up, but that won't last long. When she leaves for work tomorrow, I'll tear the PB down as far as the logic board (don't have any of that thermal cement stuff...) and see if it's caught under a component or some such...
"That which doesn't kill you is going to hurt... really, really bad."

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 04:32 PM

The folks at iFixit may have something like that. They have this -- G4 Aluminum 17" 1.33/1.5/1.67 GHz (LR) Hard Drive Bracket & Cable (922-6220) - iFixit -- from a used PowerBook, so I'm sure if you get ahold of a nicer customer service person they might be able to do something.

jknox7230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
The folks at iFixit may have something like that. They have this -- G4 Aluminum 17" 1.33/1.5/1.67 GHz (LR) Hard Drive Bracket & Cable (922-6220) - iFixit -- from a used PowerBook, so I'm sure if you get ahold of a nicer customer service person they might be able to do something.
Thanks, I tossed them an email. Hopefully, their reply will be more encouraging than the previously contacted purveyor...

Gish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 08:41 PM

You can always try to jerry rig something up...

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2007, 08:46 PM

You might try asking around at your friendly neighborhood repair centers. Surely there's one out there that will order the little bugger for you.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 09:44 PM

Well, I had a repair shop do an estimate to replace my hook latch for my G4, and they wanted $300 with labor.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Nov 30, 2007, 02:01 AM

So that store must have a good income.

ibook_steve
Nov 30, 2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gish View Post
You can always try to jerry rig something up...
Actually, that's "jury rig."

Gosh, I'm picky.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jknox7230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 08:02 AM

I'm half tempted to wedge a piece of 3x5 card in there to hold the cable, but paper + heat = bigger problem with my luck. I'll see if I have some scrap plastic in the basement I can whittle down to snug that connector and borrow a piece of that black tape from the back of the keyboard...

BTW, ifixit.com said they didn't sell just that piece... It was suggested I look online (ebay)... Can't say I was surprised there...

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 08:18 AM

That reminds me of a similar case that happened to me years ago with my Quadra 840av.
I bought a new Quarz to make it run 48MHz instead of 40Mhz and broke a tiny little resisitor because of carelessness.
My Apple dealer told me that they cannot repair it - I would have to buy a new logic board (for more money than the computer was still worth at that time)!
So I just went to an electronics dealer and bought several resistors (in 10 packs) with matching specs since they didn't have the exact same part - one of them worked and I soldered it.
The whole repair did cost me around $1.55...

Good luck!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 09:35 AM

A 3X5 card sliver should not be an issue with heat. Paper doesn't burn until it gets to a temperature of 451˚F (see Ray Bradbury), and if the inside of your AlBook gets that hot you have a lot of other problems to worry about. Of course you could use tape for this too, but I don't think it would be as secure as your cardstock idea would be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jknox7230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 10:26 AM

IT ING WORKED!

My previously dead Powerbook is now starting up with the Leopard install DVD.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
( Last edited by jknox7230; Nov 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 07:58 PM

YAY! Glad things worked out for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jknox7230 View Post
IT ING WORKED!

My previously dead Powerbook is now starting up with the Leopard install DVD.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
what ended up working? tape or paper?

I'd have whipped out the world's best invention: duct tape.

Forum Links
Forum Rules