Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sometimes my dad ticks me off.. (Large Pics)

Sometimes my dad ticks me off.. (Large Pics)
Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 02:42 PM

Just when I had my mind set up to get that Ibanez.. .

He brings this home.

Get this, he only payed $600 for it!

It has a few dings, and few bad spots on the pickup pole pieces (Going to get EMGs for it if I keep it)

The only thing is, it's a 22 fretter instead of a 24 (Not that I ever used the 24th fret that much) and it has the BIG ASS thick neck instead of the thin.

But to tell you the truth, it doesn't feel like other baseball bat necks.

Decisions Decisions..

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 02:46 PM

You're in your thirties, still live at home, and have to rely on Dad to get a guitar?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 02:49 PM

yeah, what was the occasion?

you live at home?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
You're in your thirties, still live at home, and have to rely on Dad to get a guitar?
No, I own my own house. That is just a saying.. "Guess what blah blah brought home"

He actually brought it to my house.

And I wasn't relying on him to get one. He bought it because he knew it was a deal. Wanted to know if I wanted to buy it off him before he sold it.

Those are selling on ebay for $1000 to $1450.

He payed $600.

videian28
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 03:00 PM

ok

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 29, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
You're surprised? Strange thing is with his vast knowledge in EVERY subject you'd think he would be in high demand.

shame post counts on computer forums don't pay the bills

"Hello, what have we here?

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 03:16 PM

That looks like a guitar not a tick. But if you have ticks in your house, that is not good.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by JohnnyAppleseed:
That looks like a guitar not a tick. But if you have ticks in your house, that is not good.
Its a rare Indonesian Guitar Tick. Very nasty.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
You're surprised? Strange thing is with his vast knowledge in EVERY subject you'd think he would be in high demand.

Do you know where the edit button is. 'Cause you really look like a moron here.
( Last edited by Kilbey; Oct 29, 2004 at 09:13 PM. )

Atomic Rooster
Oct 29, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Do you know where the edite button is. 'Cause you really look like a moron here.
edit NOT edite

So who's a _ _ _ _ _?

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 08:34 PM

it's a nice axe man, but it's a decision for sure. You know what to do (i.e. get both )

FWIW, I've got a Custom24 and i love it

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Just when I had my mind set up to get that Ibanez.. .

He brings this home.

Get this, he only payed $600 for it!

It has a few dings, and few bad spots on the pickup pole pieces (Going to get EMGs for it if I keep it)

The only thing is, it's a 22 fretter instead of a 24 (Not that I ever used the 24th fret that much) and it has the BIG ASS thick neck instead of the thin.

But to tell you the truth, it doesn't feel like other baseball bat necks.

Decisions Decisions..
prs's are awesome in my opinion. little wierd to play but once you get used it it they are great. plus they look beautifal
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
edit NOT edite

So who's a _ _ _ _ _?
You?

Take a look at my post.

In my defense, I am typing on an internet terminal running Win NT accessable by about 700 people and located on a manufacturing floor. Sometimes the keys stick.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
prs's are awesome in my opinion. little wierd to play but once you get used it it they are great. plus they look beautifal
This isn't the first one I have owned.

After I got new strings on it and set it up, I don't know what to say. I got a decision to make.

I'll wait till the other guitar comes in and play and compare.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:38 PM

That is a nice looking guitar. I bet it plays just as well.

I have been kicking the idea around about building a guitar. The DIY Network has a program about building guitars that has inspired me.

What is the wood that the body is made from? I have a huge chunk of curly maple I have been saving for a special project. This might be it.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:40 PM

Maple is good for necks and fret-boards.

Most guitars are made out of Mahogany or Basswood.

That PRS has a Mahogany body and neck. A lot of PRS have maple tops too.

Rosewood and Maple are the usual fret-board woods. So is ebony.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:45 PM

Maple is good for necks and fret-boards.

Most guitars are made out of Mahogany or Basswood.

That PRS has a Mahogany body and neck. A lot of PRS have maple tops too.

Rosewood and Maple are the usual fret-board woods. So is ebony.
Hmmmm... I thought I had seen a few maple bodies. But I guess I was wrong. The chunk of maple is not long enough for a neck.

Time for lots more research!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 10:17 PM

And a clue. I mean, DIY stuff is great and all, and I'm sure it will be a fun project. But, I think making an instrument will leave you feeling dissapointed when it is done. Leave it to the pros and buy one. You're handmade one won't get the sound you want or have experienced with one's made by a pro.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 10:27 PM

Maybe not, or he might come out with a masterpiece.

Look at Brian May's guitar. It's the only one him and his dad made.

I'd love to have the patience to be able to build a guitar from scratch.

I think vmarks is doing it. You might want to talk to him.

Are you going to make a bolton, neck through, or glue on neck?

You can make a quality instrument out of any of them. The last two will give best results in tone and sustain.

This PRS really looks like a guitar I can beat up on and it not break though. I do want to modernize it a bit and put EMGs in it. I love the sound Zakk gets with his EMG'd Les Paul.

I used to have a set in a Ibanez I had at one time. Very crisp and clear. And as long as you unplug the guitar when you are done, the battery will last for a year or more.

Active pickups are also quieter. I am not looking for a vintage sound. But I DO like the vintage feel of this PRS. I still might get that Ibanez Saber instead. Depends. This tremolo works just as good as a Floyd, and it's not locking. That is a plus.

I don't see how PRS can make non-locking tremolos that don't go out of tune, and Fender can't. :/

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
And a clue. I mean, DIY stuff is great and all, and I'm sure it will be a fun project. But, I think making an instrument will leave you feeling dissapointed when it is done. Leave it to the pros and buy one. You're handmade one won't get the sound you want or have experienced with one's made by a pro.
Uh... I have a furniture making business on the side. I kind of know what I am doing. Believe me, I will do a ton of research first.

If everyone stuck to your advice we'd never have advancements or masterpieces. Please don't have children and teach them what you told me. You'll be in for a life of disappointment if you never try to stretch further than you can reach.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 12:26 AM

I think vmarks is doing it. You might want to talk to him.

Are you going to make a bolton, neck through, or glue on neck?

You can make a quality instrument out of any of them. The last two will give best results in tone and sustain.
I like the looks of the through necks. Plus the stability is there.

I'll need to buy a couple speciality tools like a fret saw.

Know of any good hardware sites for tuners or pickups?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 11:04 AM

Uh... I have a furniture making business on the side. I kind of know what I am doing. Believe me, I will do a ton of research first.

If everyone stuck to your advice we'd never have advancements or masterpieces. Please don't have children and teach them what you told me. You'll be in for a life of disappointment if you never try to stretch further than you can reach.
Good for you and your furniture business. Here is a cookie. I never said you couldn't make it and said it would be a fun project. I simply said you would be dissappointed. First time out and it will be perfect? Er, your words...an advancement or masterpiece?

Get over yourself. You don't need to slam an observation thinking it was an attack on you. And don't worry, I won't have kids, specially when they would have to deal with people like you.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 11:26 AM

Good for you and your furniture business. Here is a cookie.
Keep your cookie. I like the satisfaction of making things. And the joy I see in other people's faces when I deliver a quality hand built original piece of work. I believe I would make a quality instrument and a one of a kind piece of art that I would be proud to play or sell.

never said you couldn't make it and said it would be a fun project. I simply said you would be dissappointed. First time out and it will be perfect? Er, your words...an advancement or masterpiece?
Why do you think I will be disappointed? Do you think I am some hack with a dull saw and a DeWalt cordless drill? Get to know a little bit before you spout off like you know anything about me. My life is not the same as yours.

Get over yourself. You don't need to slam an observation thinking it was an attack on you. And don't worry, I won't have kids, specially when they would have to deal with people like you.
You're the one who needs to get over himself. And thanks for the reassurance about not having kids. The world will be a better place.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 11:55 AM

I would say that you are a very lucky son!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:10 PM

I like the looks of the through necks. Plus the stability is there.

I'll need to buy a couple speciality tools like a fret saw.

Know of any good hardware sites for tuners or pickups?
Tuners and Pickups? Just any music store online.

If you want a GOOD guitar making supply site. There none better than http://www.stewmac.com/

They will even send you a free catalogue. They repair guitars too. Famous place. It's about a hour north of me.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:11 PM

Good for you and your furniture business. Here is a cookie. Blah Blah <snip>
Hey, Hey, You, You, get offa my cloud.

Anyhow...

The more and more I play this guitar, the more I want it.

Even though the neck is big, it's not baseball like. It reminds me more of a SG neck than a Les Paul.

The GOOD thing about the neck is, it's not so much fast (Doesn't seem to effect MY playability) but it's dang comfortable. And you can actually feel the strings vibrate throughout the whole body like a Les Paul.

I am sure EMGs would sound KILLER in this guitar.

The trem works great. I have it finally set up the way I want. It goes up and down. Like the PRSs are supposed to. It stays in tune so well. Even after some hefty dive bombing. I don't know how they do it.

The guy did take the original string bridge pieces off and put graphite ones to replace them with. I don't know if that effects anything. I was going to replace them with original ones.. but these might be better.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:12 PM

If you want a GOOD guitar making supply site. There none better than http://www.stewmac.com/

They will even send you a free catalogue. They repair guitars too. Famous place. It's about a hour north of me.
Thanks! that is exactly what I was looking for.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:16 PM

Thanks! that is exactly what I was looking for.
What kind of guitar are you looking to make? For what type of music? I could probably help you out with choosing parts.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:33 PM

What kind of guitar are you looking to make? For what type of music? I could probably help you out with choosing parts.
I would actually like to make 4 guitars. Ambitious little bugger aren't I?

1. An acoustic for my wife. Bright sounding with good sustain. She has an Ibanez right now. Used to have an Ovation, but didn't like the sound.

2. An electric for myself. Crunchy with a powerful sound. Think Replacements/Heather Nova/Gin Blossoms. I have a cheap Epiphone I mess around on, but I don't like the sound of it too much.

3. Electric bass. I have no idea. But I would love to learn bass. Probably buy one before I ever make one.

4. Acoustic bass. (See #3)

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 01:46 PM

As far as the electric goes..

What kind of body style?

What kind of pickups? Would you consider using active? Or do you want that classic sound?

Vibrato or Hard tail peice? (Wilkinson makes a GREAT non-locking trem that stays in tune. And it looks great. )

How many volume controls and tone controls? What kind of switching system? Headstock?

Neck shape?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 06:28 PM

Most electric guitars are made out of Mahogany or Basswood.

fixed

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 06:33 PM

Yes that is true. Electric.

Acoustics have more options. They are also harder to make I believe.

Solid-bodies are more forgiving.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 07:51 PM

Yes that is true. Electric.

Acoustics have more options. They are also harder to make I believe.

Solid-bodies are more forgiving.
well I guess it is probably because non-amplified guitars rely on the body for the quality and amplitude of the sound, not on an external electric amplifier. What is the effect of the body on an electric guitar? Could one not make an electric guitar sound any way one wishes thanks to the amplifier, in theory? Just wondering? I am definitely biased but it semms to me that the sound of an electric guitar is just as good as the amplifier. I might be wrong though.

I remember talking to a classical guitar maker : the wood he was using had been dried for several decades. It is indeed an art. Pretty fascinating.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2004, 11:38 PM

you're mistaken. The denseness of the wood directly affects tonal quality and sustain characteristics. Yes, the sound is made by the string pushing a magnetic field to create a microvolt electrical signal that is them amplified. However, how long the string moves for is connected to the physical elements, such as string height, angle the string crosses the bridge and nut, mass of the body.

Now, you can certainly build good guitars out of what are commonly considered sub-par materials (the danelectro fiberglass or guitars, the Bob Benedetto archtop guitar made out of pine) but you have to build a really excellent instrument to do it.

I own a Mario Maccaferri guitar made entirely out of plastic, and it sounds wonderful, especially for what it is. It is no toy. Maccaferri made guitars used by Django Reinhardt, if you didn't know.

Common woods for electric bodies are mahogany, maple, alder, basswood, oak. Common woods for acoustic bodies are maple, spruce, mahogany, and more rarely, cedar. Most common are mahogany back and sides with a spruce top. Most maple acoustics are all maple back and sides. I have an all cedar guitar as well as an all mahogany guitar. The tones are very different from the usual spruce tops.

Also important for Kilbey to know- different strut patterns on the acoustic yield different sounds. Scallop the struts, use a smaller bridge plate, get a brighter, louder guitar. Use a different bracing than the standard X bracing (see Tacoma guitars' Chief pattern) and get a louder presence and tone. My personal favorite is the 1930s martin X brace or the tacoma style.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:14 PM

You have any pics of any of the guitars you have made vmarks?

BTW after a few days of getting used to the larger neck that I am used to, I am really starting to love it.

I always feared I would lose the ability to really fly across the neck with a thicker neck. I don't seem to have lost any ability to do that, and I have gained the comfort of having more mass to grab onto.

I wont even go into the amount of sustain and tone that this larger neck gives me.

This guitar reminds me of an old mahogany fireplace. Like someone took the fireplace apart and made a guitar out of the wood.

It feels like a classic. I want that look and feel, and slap some modern tech in it by putting EMGs in there. I love the characteristics of those pickups. They make a guitar that lacks sustain and power really push the amp. And if you put them into a guitar that already does it, watch out.

For example, check out Zakk's guitar sound on the Black Label Society albums.

VERY heavy, distorted etc. But the notes are clear and clean at the same time.

I think the difference between say regular pickups and active ones are like the difference between a cassette tape and a CD.

The difference is, in some cases you might want that "Low Fi" sound.

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 05:20 PM

Is he gonna sing the proletarian blues.

Or "I have a son with no life".

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

I would say that I have done more in 5 years than you have your whole life, but then just like you don't have any clue about my personal life or what I do, I don't have one of yours.

But the difference here is, I am not the one projecting lives or non-lives onto people like a fanboy.

I also would never post a thread whining about how my mother is insane. Sounds like you need to take care of your own home life instead of projecting problems that don't exist in others ya silly git.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Oct 31, 2004 at 05:45 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 05:31 PM

This image speaks for itself.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Oct 31, 2004 at 05:46 PM. )

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:34 PM

Yes, it goes to further show what a fanboy you are ambush.

Seek help.

BTW you are walking on a fine line, you know that right?

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 05:36 PM

Yes, it goes to further show what a fanboy you are ambush.

Seek help.

BTW you are walking on a fine line, you know that right?
Weren't you the first to post fanboys cards with my face on them?

Can you take that image down, I don't agree with you using my face on your graphics, thanks.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:39 PM

Weren't you the first to post fanboys cards with my face on them?

ambush, you out of the blue, posted in a thread that was going just fine with

"Or "I have a son with no life"

That not only is a derail, it's a personal attack. And it's being a fanboy.

In other words, you don't go up to someone, punch them in the face, then complain when you get hit back harder. If you hadn't punched in the first place, you wouldn't have gotten hit.

There is a lesson here for you ambush. But I doubt you'll see it.

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 05:41 PM

ambush, you out of the blue, posted in a thread that was going just fine with

"Or "I have a son with no life"

That not only is a derail, it's a personal attack. And it's being a fanboy.

In other words, you don't go up to someone, punch them in the face, then complain when you get hit back harder. If you hadn't punched in the first place, you wouldn't have gotten hit.

There is a lesson here for you ambush. But I doubt you'll see it. [/B]
sorry but you're the only following me around. Please stop and I will stop.

Also, that was JOKE, hence the smiley.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:43 PM

sorry but you're the only following me around. Please stop and I will stop.

Following you around? What the... this is my thread ambush. That had to be about the dumbest thing I have seen posted all week.

Also, that was JOKE, hence the smiley.
That wasn't a smiley. It wasn't a joke. it was a off topic personal attack.

Had I made some comment about you in the post above your post, you'd have had a reason to make such comment. But you didn't. You just fanboy'd it out of the blue. And that is what differentiates normal posters from fanboys. The latter just can't seem to help themselves.

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 05:47 PM

That wasn't a smiley. It wasn't a joke. it was a off topic personal attack.[/B]

Enough, fanboy.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 05:50 PM

Yes I agree. Enough of the fanboying.

Anyhow, lets get back on the subject.

If you have something about the guitar in the thread, or guitars in general to say go right ahead.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 06:15 PM

I have been trying to get a good pic of the "doves in flight" fretboard inlays but can't. They get all fuzzy.

I need a better camera.

Forum Links
Forum Rules