Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Problem

Airport Problem
casselma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2009, 01:20 PM

This may not be a notebook problem per se, but I am using one. I have a black Macbook 2.4 GHz, about 6 months old. Recently (3 months ago) it started dropping wireless connections. It will be working fine, but will all of a sudden have the menubar airport gauge from full to maybe 1 line (out of 3). It's lost the network at that point. It happens with multiple routers. Set up in different ways. I've tried keeping the wireless channel constant, but that doesn't seem to help either.

To solve the problem, I turn off/on the Airport card. Picks up the network then, but in 3-10 minutes, it goes down again.

Any ideas? Bad airport card maybe? It's only an annoyance when I have to keep and hold a connection without interruption. Most programs handle connection interruptions fine, but others not so much!

casselma  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2009, 01:21 PM

Haha, in the time I took to write that, it lost the connection and I had to restart the Airport card. =/

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 22, 2009, 07:20 PM

This sounds like a networking problem, so I moved the thread. And it sounds like a really good reason to contact your nearest Apple Store and have them look at the computer. Having your AirPort card start dropping its connection at 3 months old is a Bad Thing, and I think it says either the antenna connections or the card itself are having hardware problems. Best thing is to get a Genius to look at it and at least get Apple informed that you're having a problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules