Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > how do i delete a file that can't be found?

how do i delete a file that can't be found?
austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2002, 09:25 PM

im having this problem with a file that appears to be in a folder (i can see it, somethings there), not being able to be trashed because it cannot be found. the file was a adium preference file, but i had backed up my preferences to an external usb harddrive in 9, and thats the only way that i can get to the hd (stupid macally products).

is there anything that will eliminate this file, other then reformating the drive? thanks

There's someone in my head but its not me...

jxflyer
Feb 7, 2002, 11:11 PM

You might try using "Hidden Hunter." I was able to delete an invisible file that was causing conflicts using that program.

It is available on:

Download.com

I believe it's free.

Good luck

- Chad
Chad Hinkson

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't...

iMac 2.0 GHZ Intel / 1.5 Gb
MacBook 2.0 Intel / 1.0 mb
OS 10.4

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2002, 09:11 AM

I have been using OS X for so long I can't remember details but you can do a search for invisible files using Sherlock. Go to custom search options and click invisible then run your search. Should pull up many invisible files. Be careful what you trash.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2002, 09:49 AM

What error message are you getting when you try?

The specific text of the error message may provide a clue as to the source and, hence, the solution.

First, if it's complaining about locked files, hold down the option key when you empty the trash - this will override the file locking.

Secondly if a 'disk error' occurred, there may be some problems with the directory. A utility such as TechTool Pro or Norton Utilities may solve the problem.

If you don't care about what's in the folder (and it doesn't sound like you do), create a folder with the same name on your other disk and then copy it to this disk. When asked if you want to replace the items with the same name, click yes. With luck this'll overwrite the folder and clear the problem.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
<STRONG>Secondly if a 'disk error' occurred, there may be some problems with the directory. A utility such as TechTool Pro or Norton Utilities may solve the problem.
</STRONG>
The problem austeros described sounds like directory corruption alright, but DiskWarrior is the tool of choice for this kind of problem. Norton is just as likely to make the problem worse than fix it (Norton trashed my HD a couple years ago and i haven't used it since).

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 01:27 AM

hey all - tried all the solutions you gave and i couldnt get any to work... i think the problem lied with os9.0, cause i wiped my drive, and i was able to mount the external and delete the file under 9.2.2.

thanks for the help though

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules