Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SuperDrive -- can still get 2X media?

SuperDrive -- can still get 2X media?
bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 09:52 PM

I have a superdrive in a Rev A 12-in PB. It burns, I believe, at 1X and I use 2X media. (I've only adctually burned a couple DVDs, but I burned 2 just today, from a program at school. And a friend wants me to burn more.

The question is -- I don't think I can buy the 2X media anymore. I have 3 left and I just looked on the store and everything is 4x or 8x.

My question -- can I use that or how do I find the 2X media? I know there's been some discussion about which brand will work. As I said, I've only done a little burning, so I am using Apple brand. I could use another, though and can do a search for that to find recommendations. I'm concerned about the speed.

thanks.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 10:15 PM

Hi. I also have a Rev. A PowerBook. I've been burning my iDVD projects just fine using Apple's 4X media. In answer to your question, I haven't seen anybody selling 1x and 2x DVD media anymore. I don't think you'll run into any problems if you stick with Apple's blank DVDs. You might check around eBay if you only want to use 2x media.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 10:20 PM

Hi -- did check ebay and there's nothing today. But I did a web search and found a companyh called Vistek. As it uses Canadian dollars I'm thinking it's Canadian! But it still had Apple 2X media, so I bought a couple boxes. (Only $3.99 each!) I do hope there's not a difference between American and Canadian media -- I know there is in video cameras, but I can't imagine why the media would be different.

HOwever, it's good to know the 4X is OK, too. The Apple store mentions updating the software for the drives first. Did you do that?

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 10:49 PM

I generally install any of the updates that Sofware Update shows, the expection being the newest Airport update. So, if the update was in there somewhere, I installed it.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 11:29 PM

hi Vistek is a well known Canadian supplier. I buy a lot of my digital equipment and some Mac equipment from them. They have offices in Calgary and Toronto. I doubt that you will have any problem. Harry

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 23, 2004, 11:55 PM

The problem with 4X media on 2X drives has nothing to do with PowerBook SuperDrives. It only is significant with a specific model of Pioneer desktop burners. These PB SuperDrives are neither desktop drives nor Pioneers.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
The problem with 4X media on 2X drives has nothing to do with PowerBook SuperDrives. It only is significant with a specific model of Pioneer desktop burners. These PB SuperDrives are neither desktop drives nor Pioneers.
Cool, that's a nice thing to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules