Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > let's list incompatibilities with 9.1

let's list incompatibilities with 9.1 (Page 4)
vincentthu
Jan 15, 2001, 02:41 PM

i add to reinstall Enternet (Netissimo in france) to use the DSL connection with Mac OS 9.1 (french ed. as well)
It worked after i reinstalled it, but later, i add another problem with TCP/IP control panel. Now fixed but i don't actually know how i fixed it. I just did "apple-K" and choose the right connection again and it works.
At least, no problem with Unreal Tournament (last version)!!

p777k
Jan 15, 2001, 02:55 PM

More Kensington driver problems:
I have a Kensington Optical Pro with Mouseworks 5.50 on an iBook. When I installed 9.1, the trackpad ceased to function. Completely frozen, no clicks, nothin'. Switching the Trackpad control panel back to the old one from 9.0.4 fixed the problem... but (after reading all the other problems here) I'd say Kensington's in dire need of a driver update. (Killing the Kensington stuff and putting the 9.1 trackpad control panel back in also worked...)

MacShades
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by JConnick:
I keep getting a wierd error with Outlook Express 5.02. It says: OE got an error! Can't continue <<event earsffdr>>.
But mail comes in ok.
Jack
I think that's an ApplesScript error. I have a custom applescript to "set the volume to 7, then restart". But whenever it loaded, I got a system error. I rewrote the script, and now it works fine, with the exception of rearranging my control Strip modules alphabetically. And since I installed 9.1, the AppleTalk Switch CSM no longer shows up. Any ideas?

------------------
Eat, Sleep, Breathe, Live. Macintosh.

AIM Name:MacShades6200

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 03:34 PM

With 9.1:

The MacLinkPlus contextual menu plugin (in the System->Contextual Menu folder) causes a request to open the contextual menu of a folder to change the cursor to a waiting watch, and never returns control to the computer. A force quit to the finder fixes that but requires a reboot if you try again. Nice Bomb error heh.

As soon as I removed its plugin, operation returned to normal.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Doug M.
Jan 15, 2001, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by tm909:
My g3 blue and white worked fine under 9.0.4 when I put it to sleep. Now when i goes to sleep will not wake up have to restart.

Did you leave a CD in the drive? Mine (old 604e clone) won't wake up until I hit the stop button on the CD drive as the OS is polling the drive constantly at that point. At that point the system wakes up. Try hitting the open button on the box next time...

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 05:27 PM

doug,

I have b&w also, and same problem. I'll have to see if it remains now that I have the full install CD. And no CD was in the drive. It is real! Forced to disable Energy Saver and use Sleeper to suspend the monitor and spin-down drives but not go into full sleep.

Greg

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 05:43 PM

Since doing a full clean install from 9.1 CD, I see a change or two in Favorites behavior. Could not add one folder " because it contains items in use"??? How could adding to Favorites? and, it contained photos. And not even desktop picture or anything.

Changed the name of the alias for "Applications (Mac...)" to just Applications. On restart - there was the short name... and the long version. I don't like submenu with long names.

IE5 - every time I launch and visit forum(s) I have to enter name and password first time. Worked before, but now it is like it doesn't remember me. But it use to until I upgraded to 9.1. And using the same copy etc of IE5.

Should I start from a brand new Internet preference file? I think I am but maybe not. So maybe...

ANY reports of change in IE5 with this or any forum for registered users not being "remembered?"

Gregory

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 06:02 PM

Disk First Aid REPAIR - operation interrupted by another application. AFTER it quit the Finder. I don't have SwitchRes, which was the only application I know of that use to cause this. I tried disabling those faceless background appe extensions like Control Strip and Folder Actions w/o success.

I've been using DFA 8.6 since it was first posted w/o seeing this come up.

And only began recently, but before doing a full 9.1 install I think .

Greg

austeros
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 06:49 PM

The only thigs i had problems with were alien crossfire (same as the alpha centauri error) and my external usbharddrive. The hard drive uses formedia drivers, an earlier version of radiologic storage master, which apple purchased. does anyone know if the apple is going to release storagemaster upgrades, or mabe encorperate it to mass support?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

christopherl
Jan 15, 2001, 07:44 PM

Funny..i've been using Suitcase 8.x (the "incompatable" version w/ OS 8.6/9.x with no problems....go figure...lucky i guess

Originally posted by bipto:
Suitcase 8 and 9

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2001, 07:50 PM

To Gregory:
You probably won't have to delete your entire Internet Preferences, just your IE ones. I had trouble with Netscape losing my user profile, but after re-selecting it, it worked OK. Don't know about IE, but it may have to do with the way it enables and saves cookies. Try seeing if you can edit the Cookie prefs in IE and see if that works.

Reg

------------------
Xander: Yes. Men like sports. Men watch the action movie, they eat of the beef, and they enjoy to look at the bosoms. A thousand years of avenging our wrongs, and that's all you've learned?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

cyax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
One of our iBooks will always crash if it goes to sleep since having updated to 9.1...

i have the same sleep issue with my G4/agp/350 with 256 Mb of ram and sounddticks and an apple 15" LCD.. not sure if it crashed on going to sleep or on waking up...
cyax

Stubenville
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Provda:
Has to uninstall:
...Had major problem trying to get SurfDoubler to work or to even connect on my DSL line with the usual TCP settings...
Provda;

Are you using the latest-and-greatest version of Surf Doubler? There was a recent upgrade - the current version is 6.8.0. I hesitate to install OS 9.1 if there are issues with Surf Doubler.

Well, since we've got a 'flaneur' in here perhaps I should sign myself 'drageur' (suavely strolling around trying to pick up someone of the opposite sex, as practiced by French and Italian dudes.) I wish!

Cheers,

Stu

Moof
Jan 15, 2001, 10:35 PM

My Keyspan Digital Remote will not work at all under 9.1. Also, when I have the Keyspan software installed, iTunes will not launch.

Moof

ddregs
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 04:44 AM

On my MacOS 9.1 I had no problem with Lotus Notes 5.0.6 (and Designer).
I am also using ATM 4.6.1, ATR 2.6.2, DiskWarrior 2.0 (which loads with an X), TechTool Pro 3.0.2, HP Scanjet Controls, and the standard OS9.1 extensions.
About the applications, I tried VPC 4, Notes 5.0.6, Dreamweaver 4, Photoshop 5.5, iTunes, IE5, Eudora 5.0.1 and everything worked out just fine, without any problems. The system feels snappier, and memory seems to be used better (as a first sensation on a 360MB B&W 300MHz G3)
Originally posted by ScottN13:
I'm getting the same error with Lotus Notes 5.0.5 and 5.06

Originally posted by littlematt:
I'm running Lotus Notes 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 clients with no problem under 9.1.
Lotus Notes 5.0.4 and 5.0.6 client. Getting the following error:

(DDERunLoad)
DDEBeginRec.EmbeddedDocCount = %d%n

------------------
Classic Van Halen - soon on your screen...
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2001, 10:14 AM

NetBarrier 1.6.

Can't visit web pages. Disabled and fine. There is a slight chance that changes in OT 2.7.4 affect it and have to wait for 2.0 ($30) upgrade. Or create new preferences.

Disabled, access is fine.

Gregory

IE 5 stores preferences in Internet Preference file - which can get corrupted on crash or force quit of IE. But the system seems to now check the file on startup. I could use ResEdit to copy or remove stuff, but not worth the potential for more trouble. The settings are fine and set the way that they should.

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 03:14 PM

SoundJam 2.5.2, Entourage, and IE 5.5 together will invariably cause at least one of them to crash.

Also, seemed like MacsBug wasn't working quite properly; 'rb' command (for reboot) would only function maybe half the time.

9.1 seems to have good days and bad days; yesterday, good!.. Today, BAD.

-p

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 03:19 PM

Oh yeah, besides my Internet Prefs constantly corrupting, my application palette-- the teardown menu from the Finder-- seems to corrupt its preferences constantly as well. I was using Prestissimo 1.5 to reset them, but by next startup those settings would be lost; seems to be conflicting with 9.1..

-p

john_d
Jan 16, 2001, 06:03 PM

B&W 400 SoftRaid SCSI, w. Voodoo 5 video card:

Dreamweaver 4 big GIF bug: quite a few posts about this one over at MacFixit.

Interarchy 3.7 FTP client quits under 9.1

IE 5 now freezes after several minutes in 9.1. Have switched ot Mozilla 0.7 until I re-install 9.0.4

dfbills
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 07:20 PM

I've found that Enternet 1.11 (the DSL connectivity software) is incompatibile with OS9.1. The extensions fail to load upon boot.

Also PhotoPrinter 2.0 crashes when trying to print. This is annoying and gives some cryptic error messages. After this, no programs can print until the computer is rebooted.

-d
-d

the siren
Jan 17, 2001, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by MacShades:
And since I installed 9.1, the AppleTalk Switch CSM no longer shows up. Any ideas?

Its Probably because you don't have the apple talk control panel enabled. If you notice that some other CSM's don't show up if the corresponding control panel isn't enabled.

MacShades
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by the siren:
Its Probably because you don't have the apple talk control panel enabled. If you notice that some other CSM's don't show up if the corresponding control panel isn't enabled.

I'll try it, but I had the CP disabled under 9.0.4, and it still showed up in the strip. How Bizarre. Any ideas about the alphabetization of my Control Strip? That one's really got me bugged. The script reads,
"tell application "Finder"
activate
set volume to 6
restart
end tell"
<I use it in conjunction with iDo Script scheduler to act as an alarm clock>
Maybe I just need a new version. I'll try it and see.

------------------

AIM Name:MacShades6200

MC Escher
Jan 17, 2001, 07:51 PM

StopWatch by DesignSoft (a project time tracking tool) opens and immediately quits. I think I will have to reinstall 9.0.4 because of this problem. I can't imagine designsoft fixing the problem soon, they are a fairly small company.
( Last edited by MC Escher; Mar 18, 2015 at 07:24 PM. )

Luis Alcazar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Luis Alcazar:
I just get Mac os 9.1...
i installed my 9.0.4 and updated.
my lovely Sound edit 2.0.7 dont open, it say error 3
i miss that nice filters!!
and some projects created w/director 7 dont work because it needs more memory prefered!
and some projects created w/ director 8 dont work fine in 640 *480
the image on Stage awas displaced
i have a G4 dual 450 (512 MB Ram)
i don find more bugs!!

i get Soundedit 2.0.7 works!
just turn Play Trhough off ito input into sound control panael!!
Tnx pato!!

and i get a problem i canot switch aplications!! w/ (Command+tab).

what i can do???

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2001, 05:56 PM

I thought NAV7 was okay but it seems to be conflicting with something. I had it disabled to be safe but with new Mellisa virus enabled it once again.

NetBarrier seems fine, ISP actually had problem that just coincided.

Norton Speeddisk 6 froze up when unmounting SCSI disk drive with latest Drive Setup.

if PlusOptimizer needed updating, why? And why not other utilities that do similar things?

Gregory

floogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 06:17 PM

Is anyone having problems with Retrospect and 9.1? If I have the two Retro. extensions activated I get a repeatable crash as the extensions are about to finish loading before the Mac goes to Desktop.

Disabling them allows the Mac to boot up fine.

G4 500 DP, Radeon
40 HD
640 RAM

Michael De Luca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 01:14 AM

Sounds like Apple was working too hard on computers that won't connect to anything or computers with no expansion ports, or a wonderful new color rather than getting their software right.

I own a Mac and am really starting to hate the hassle of upgrading software that doesn't work or figuring out how to connect a monitor that has a changed cable fitting, or no 20" monitor, or no analog audio input capability, or how to get a Firewire CDR to burn without snippets.

My god Apple.... its no wonder your sales are down. Everyone is trying to figure out how to make your computers work with older as well as newer equipment. It has become a full time job.

OS 9.04 will be mine for a bit longer. I don't have the time to solve Apples short sightedness.

Think Different...... PLEASE!!!!!!

Michael De Luca
Regards,
Michael De Luca

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 19, 2001, 06:21 PM

Well I stopped reading on page 2, but...

No problems so far...

G4/450/ZIP/DVD/SCSI/448 megs of memory, the latest and greatest software and nothing to report.

Stock 9600 nothing to report either.

My G4 runs 9.1 and I have an external SCSI drive, running 9.1, I use between several systems and so far so good. Everything has run fine for me.

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

TriPhaze
Jan 19, 2001, 09:09 PM

8500/180 (233MHz 604e CPU) running fantastic with 9.1.

No problems at all. Thank goodness the 32-bit icon bug is fixed and I can once again run in thousands of colors!

kwyjibo
Jan 20, 2001, 01:44 AM

I'm using B&w 400 and Sony monitor and am having resolution problems, the one I was using under 9.0.4 is no longer an option, except for one reboot when it worked again.

Mr. Vapor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by patrickgibson:
Codewarrior 6 is really sluggish after upgrading to 9.1 on my FireWire G3 PowerBook. Actually, it's only when doing certain things with the keyboard, such as selecting text by holding shift and using the cursor keys. As well, a few other things seems really slow...
If I remember correctly you just have to get the newest version of CarbonLib to fix this problem with Codewarrior. The version that ships with 9.1 is 1.1, the latest version is 1.2

see: http://devworld.apple.com/technotes/...html#CarbonLib
for more info

Evan Evanson
Jan 22, 2001, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
OS 9.1 seems to be incompatible with Quicken 98: although it works OK, it makes windows opened in subsequent applications (Word, for instance) have a gray background instead of white.
Can you connect to the internet w/ Quicken 98? It needs NetManage Winsock Lib enabled to do so, and that file seems to be a guaranteed startup crash under 9.1 for me.

Very interested in a reply,
Evan Evanson

homuss
Jan 23, 2001, 05:51 AM

I have the same problem.

Dual Port PCI USB - nothing attached shows up. NO support for PCI USB cards. Was using for scanner Canoln N650U and Lexmark USB Epson 580 printer.

Does anyone know the answer to this USB problem?

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 =

gillem
Feb 5, 2001, 03:56 PM

After installing 9.1, my G3/233 froze after the destop appeared (mouse cursor was moving). I read this thread and started with 9.1 base extenaions and added one by one some of the culprits I saw most often:
MOM for Office 2001: works OK
Microsoft QuickView: works OK
RAM Doubler 9.1: Reinstalled, works OK
Action Go Mac: works OK

The only extension I could reproduce the freeze with was Pop Char Lite 2.7.2.

Originally posted by mal:
PopChar Lite 2.7.2 let's your Mac hang at startup. Otherwise all my "junk" works. Printing is no problem.

gillem
Feb 5, 2001, 04:01 PM

After installing 9.1, my G3/233 froze after the destop appeared (mouse cursor was moving). I read this thread and started with 9.1 base extenaions and added one by one some of the culprits I saw most often:
MOM for Office 2001: works OK
Microsoft QuickView: works OK
RAM Doubler 9.1: Reinstalled, works OK
Action Go Mac: works OK

The only extension I could reproduce the freeze with was Pop Char Lite 2.7.2.

Originally posted by mal:
PopChar Lite 2.7.2 let's your Mac hang at startup. Otherwise all my "junk" works. Printing is no problem.

JeffChrz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 09:45 PM

Gravis GamePad Pro USB

Won't work with Star Wars Episode 1 Racer--the game won't recognize the controller as a joystick. I tried re-installing the game after upgrading to OS 9.1, but no luck. I haven't tried re-booting with only the base 9.1 OS extensions, but I'll give it a try.

Jeff C...

chatlene
Feb 9, 2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by glensanford:
9.1 works just fine on my machine, except that finder "unexpectadly quits" every time I boot up. after that everything works fine.

weird.
I have exactly the same problem with 9.1 with both my Minitower G3/300mhz and my iMac DVSE/500mhz. The finder quit when I boot up. I have to restart again & again until it works. I tried everything� but still�

For the "flaneur" dillemna: it is a word used to qualify someboby who is taking and enjoying a walk at a slow path, taking his time. By the way���I'm French.

appleguy
Feb 10, 2001, 11:34 AM

I could use a little help myself. I updated to 9.1 from 9.0.4 on my 266 iMac and now have three problems: The pull down window from the application switcher (the one that stays on the screen) no longer appears. The sofware updater begins to work and then just stops. A small problem -- maste the volume control resets to default everytime I restart.

appleguy
Feb 10, 2001, 12:06 PM

Sorry, that should read -- "the master volume control."

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2001, 05:18 PM

I have a G4 450/ AGP. I too am having problems after sleep. About 50% of the time it crashes when waking. I have mouse movement, but a frozen desktop.

I am running SETI@home 3.03 as my screen saver, and it is more likely to crash when sleeping from SETI than if I put it to sleep.

So, I'm not sure where exactly the bug resides. But waking from sleep seems to be a fairly common occurrence on a G4, judging from the above. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a correllation with sleeping and SETI?

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 10, 2001, 05:45 PM

I must have missed the boat of incompatabilities with OS 9.1 on like 8 Macs I've upgraded so-far

I almost feel "left-out"

So far everything has been running smoothely here and at work

Mike

johngrubb
Feb 13, 2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by kleznik:
I don't know whether to blame OS 9.1 or not, but the machine gets stuck on startup when trying to load AfterDark (the screensaver). I've turned it off with the extension manager, and the computer has been working like a charm ever since.

-Dan
AfterDark became obsolete after OS 8.6. Trash it, the files, and preferences from your system.

However, SETI@Home works fine.

sushu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2001, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by homuss:

I have the same problem.

Dual Port PCI USB - nothing attached shows up. NO support for PCI USB cards. Was using for scanner Canoln N650U and Lexmark USB Epson 580 printer.
USB PCI card works fine on my beige G3/266/128/OS 9.1
g3/315/320mb

brundleOS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2001, 11:44 PM

IS there an issue with OS 9.1 and Macally port Xpander? When I print to my epson 900, and then try to use my modem. my machine freezes and requires a hard restart. Under 8.6 everything is dandy. This only happens with the Epson. The Laserwriter LS works fine. I am running under a hacked (resedit) 9.1, but it has been solid and fast. I think I am going to get the full install CD in the next few weeks.

schmiede
Apr 3, 2001, 01:39 PM

I don't know about Quicken, but I've been experiencing the same problem with Flash 5, and I've found a solution -- try it with Quicken. Boot up the machine with Winsock off, then go into the extensions manager, turn Winsock on, but DON'T RESTART. Then try doing whatever it is you want to do in Quicken -- it may work (like it does in Flash), despite the fact you haven't restarted. Weird, I know, but it works!

Dan
[email protected]

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 05:17 PM

lots of the programs mentioned here are compatible with OS 9.1 - files i don't have a problem with include: FaxSTF, Virtual PC.

scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 01:57 PM

I also cannot get my Global Village Teleport USB to work with 9.1 even though ZTerm finds a dial tone & dials. Can't receive faxes either. B&W G3 400. Updated to 2.6.8 but the modem won't make a sound.

Forum Links
Forum Rules