Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > NOTE! - OS 9.1 CD & download - differ

NOTE! - OS 9.1 CD & download - differ
WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 11:36 AM

MacFixit home page - 14 Jan �01

Mac OS 9.1 Update and full install CD do not install exactly the same files

Apple documentation that we received stated that Mac OS 9.1 installs ColorSync 3.0.3. However, many readers have reported not getting the update. Dave Camp has supplied us with the explanation for this discrepancy, via a reply from an Apple employee:

"The Software Update Mac OS 9.1 only contains a subset of the full 9.1 available on CD. The same thing was true of the 9.0.4 update. The system software updates contain fewer software components to minimize download time." ColorSync 3.0.3 is missing from the Update.

WDL

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 14, 2001, 12:26 PM

So it's worth buying the update cd?

Let me see if I understand this...

If my computer goes down for whatever reason and a new system load comes into play I can,

Option 1: Use my origional 9.0.4 cd and install it onto the system, then upgrade to 9.1 using there downloadable updater, but a few features or updates may be missing.

option 2: Load using the 9.1 CD that apple is offering for $20 via rebate, and get the complete package with everything upto date.

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 01:11 PM

Opton 2 is correct.

I'm getting the CD, but will just sit with it for a while until
I'm able to read more about it.

WDL

Bobby
Jan 14, 2001, 04:58 PM

I'm getting the CD Mainly due to language kits. Though I acually had said when I found out the origional update wouldn't do language kits that I belived the 9.1 CD would have other features not contained in the download as well...

------------------

kwyjibo
Jan 20, 2001, 02:05 AM

Shouldn't the software update control panel list these as optional downloads then? It is supposed to report any updated software, right? Although it doesn't report Quicktime updates. So I'm not sure which is right.

Cipher13
Jan 20, 2001, 03:52 AM

Friggin' hell, it was 70 megs as it is. What the hell difference would another 70 have made?
Its big enough to be too inconvenient to most anyway.
I can't be bothered elaborating, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Cipher13

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2001, 12:56 PM

kwyjibo:

Software Update is not reliable - many of us prefer to search out and manually download our own
updates.

Cipher 13:

Finally, after a week of phone calls to Apple Canada, someone is going to mail me a form to order
the 9.1 CD at the update price.

Will sit with it for a while before deciding whether to install it or not - but at least I'll have the CD
that allows me to make that choice.

9.1 has to have a lot of bugs/incompatabilities in it from what I'm seeing on all the forums - in the
meantime, all three of my Macs are running stable and smooth (two on 8.1 - one on 9.0.4) so the
old adage, why mess with success.

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 01-20-2001).]

TriPhaze
Jan 20, 2001, 03:02 PM

Geez, why is this even an issue? Mac OS 8.6 was the same deal.

Sure, it's nice to have the CD (I'm ordering it - especially since you get a _full_ 9.1 install for $20!) but I needed to have 9.1 installed ASAP, so I spent the time to download it even over my 56K modem. I've put up with the damn 32-bit icon bug for the past six months and I'm not going to wait another month for the CD to arrive.

9.1 kicks-ass on my old 8500. Feels like I have a brand new computer. Way to go Apple!

Jan 21, 2001, 04:52 PM

Given the fact that the CD is out of date the minute a new patch, or update is released I find it easier to burn an updated installer once a month or so. A blank CD is only 50 cents. I keep the MacOS, Apple's updates, 3rd party updates for my devices all on one cd. In the event of a catastrophic dump, I can rebuild the entire thing from one source.

ged
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2001, 04:34 AM

> I keep the MacOS, Apple's updates, 3rd party updates for my devices all on
> one cd. In the event of a catastrophic dump, I can rebuild the entire
> thing from one source.

it helps to also throw a copy of norton utilities (with requisite extensions in each folder), techtool pro etc on that cd. you never know...

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2001, 09:24 AM

The update CD is not a full installer of 9.1 though it may have things that were cut from the download - to keep it from ballooning to 90MB or more?

I went for the $99 CD which is not just an update. I don't need my old Mac OS 9 CD (and then have to apply 9.0.4).

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2001, 11:03 AM

Gregory:

Unless things have changed the "update" and the "full" version are the same CD. I know I got stung like
this on ClarisWorks - ordered the update from 4.x to 5.x - found that 5.x dropped out a feature that was
available in 4.x.

Called the order centre (for Canada) and insisted on a "full" CD - the person taking my call seemed very
knowledgeable compared to the kind of people who usually answer - he explained that I would get the
very same CD again - I wasn't accepting this and insisted on the "full" CD.

It came - it was identical - I returned it and got a credit.

The terms "update" and "full" are only applied to those users who get the CD at a discount because of
a recent purchase of a Mac/software - "full" is applied to those who have to pay all the freight.

If you want to go to the trouble I did, you can prove this to yourself - however, it won't make you happy
with your purchase.

Don't flame me - I'm only the messenger.

BTW - this also applied to the CD for 9.0.4 which I bought in Aug '00 at the discount price ($29) - the CD
was the full Universal 9.0 with 9.0.4.

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 01-22-2001).]

jtm
Jan 22, 2001, 12:00 PM

So who can buy the "update" CD? Only those who bought 9 in the last month or so?

I went to the Apple store and didn't see a link to buy the "update" CD.

Tai

Tombull
Jan 22, 2001, 12:06 PM

OS 9.1 is not even compatiblewith OS X beta. I'm saving my money and wayting for march 24th and get a real OS.

By the way , march 24 is my bithday, do you think I am elegible for a free copy of the new OS?

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2001, 12:22 PM

jtm:

Go here:

http://www.apple.com/macos/

half way down the page click on the software update form.

To be eligible for the "update" price, you have to have one of the three coupons that
came with your Mac - mine was purchased in Feb '00 - I used one coupon to get the
CD for 9.0.4 and will use another to get the 9.1 CD.

Recent purchasers of 9.x should be entitled to the "update" price - but they should
contact Apple because the form definitely says the coupon is required.

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 01-22-2001).]

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2001, 12:30 PM

Tombull:

You may be waiting for OS X, but I'm not.

I've got solid, smooth operations on three Macs that do everything I ask of them, so I'm
not about to go into a new system, new learning curve, new software updates/patches
etc............. and, developers are not exactly flocking to create apps for X.

I'm not even upgrading to 9.1 at this time (considering all the problems being reported on
the forums) but I want the CD in hand in case I change my mind.

WDL

cowerd
Senior User
Jan 22, 2001, 12:52 PM

developers are not exactly flocking to create apps for X
either you're reading too much Business Week, or you're perfectly capable of FUD'ing it up on your own.

AFIK, Macromedia, Microsoft, Adobe, Corel, Symantec, Micromat, Connectix, 4D, Alias, Electric Image, Maxon etc are all OSX bound. Add to that the *nix open source goodies. Lack of software my ass.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

mcbeenb
Jan 22, 2001, 01:03 PM

"Apple Computer has created the Mac OS Up-To-Date program for customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after January 9, 2001 that does not have the latest Mac OS installed."

Straight cut-and-paste from the website. Out of luck.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2001, 01:18 PM

The key one there is ALIAS. boldface please!

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Maya!

I was so hesitant on putting 9.1 onto my Dual 450, even though I downloaded it the next morning after the keynote. All these posts on horrible disasters, that you can't recover from scared the crap outta me, cause I was too lazy to wanna back-up my entire HD. I finally built up ping pong balls to install it saturday. First I downloaded all the updates that this 9.1 updater messed up like the CPU plugin, CarbonLib (which actually installs an older version), ATI AGP update and OpenGl, and installed it all at once booted off my system included 9 installer CD. Voila, purrin' like a kitten, a big saber toothed speed demon kitten. Lovin' it!

Oh well, my HD with X beta installed has been collecting dust for about a month now anyway.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Jakefowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Tombull:
OS 9.1 is not even compatiblewith OS X beta. I'm saving my money and wayting for march 24th and get a real OS.

By the way , march 24 is my bithday, do you think I am elegible for a free copy of the new OS?
Mine is on the 25th. I'm really hoping that I get Mac OSX...

To do is to be - Socrates
To be is to do - Plato
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

JimmyMac
Jan 22, 2001, 01:44 PM

The MacOS Up-To-Date program will indeed send you a FULL INSTALL (NOT an Update) for MacOS 9.1.

(from Apple Web Page--Address at end of post)

The Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 9.1 Software Upgrade program is available for anyone who has any version of Mac OS 9. To obtain the Mac OS 9.1 full install CD for $19.95, see http://www.apple.com/macos/ for more details.

http://www.info.apple.com/support/ma...wtoget9.1.html

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2001, 02:41 PM

The Up-To- Date Disk that you recieve is indeed the full install.I sent my order in on 1-10-2001 and recieved my copy today 12 days later via Airbourne Express even though the order form said 6 to 8 weeks. (nice job Apple).

[This message has been edited by bil207 (edited 01-22-2001).]

Tombull
Jan 22, 2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by WDL:
Tombull:

You may be waiting for OS X, but I'm not.

I've got solid, smooth operations on three Macs that do everything I ask of them, so I'm
not about to go into a new system, new learning curve, new software updates/patches
etc............. and, developers are not exactly flocking to create apps for X.

I'm not even upgrading to 9.1 at this time (considering all the problems being reported on

WDL

Jvh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Friggin' hell, it was 70 megs as it is. What the hell difference would another 70 have made?

Cipher13

Jvh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Cipher13
Inconvenient ???
70 MB at 1Mbit/sec = 8 sec / MB => 560 sec = +/- 10 min...
That don't seems me to long, is it ?
ADSL uses a sustained speed of 100 - 200 KB or 0.1 - 0.2 MB / sec !!! and is much cheaper than a PSTN modem.
So, I really don't know what you mean...

BVBA Jvh-Insurance
IT Consultant
Keldermansstraat 23

B-2500 LIER

gsm: +32 495/59.44.28
fax: +32 3/480.82.98

BE438.044.575

bezoar
Jan 22, 2001, 04:30 PM

so if ColorSync 3.0.3 is not available on the downloaded update, why doesn't Apple put the separate ColorSync by itself for downloading. i see ColorSync 2.5.1, 2.6.1, and 3.0.1 are available, so this isn't really asking too much of them.

[This message has been edited by bezoar (edited 01-22-2001).]

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2001, 05:15 PM

I was at Macworld SF and went to a session on ColorSync and Mac OS X. (The speaker said that all of the features of ColorSync 3.0.3 will be in OS X, by the way.) He said, off the cuff, that he was trying to get Apple to post the 3.0.3 installer separately as it was not included in the downloable updater. Aparently, unless he gets his way, Apple will not post some of the updates (like DVD Player 2.3 and ColorSync 3.0.3) that are not included. Perhaps Apple wants to sell more CDs? So, it's obvious that some people who work at Apple know we would like some of the separate installers/updaters, but some people there wants us to buy CDs...

-Doug

someone
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2001, 10:34 PM

What CD do you get if you buy the Apple Pro Keyboard? An update CD? That would normally go for $20, right, unless you buy a Mac after Jan. 9th. Then you can get a full CD for $20.
someone who loves Macs

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2001, 10:45 PM

I bought my Mac with OS9.0 in May 2000.I sent in the OS coupon that came with it along with $19.95 and received the full OS9.1 cd today.

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 11:20 PM

I've got the full install CD. Yes, the one you get for $19.95 as an upgrade and the one you get $99 retail are identical. The only one that is not the same is the one that comes with the Pro Keyboard; that one will only do an upgrade, not a full install (because then who would pay $99 for a boxed retail OS 9 if they could get it with a $59 keyboard?).

Don't make the mistake of paying $99, thinking you will get something different than if you pay $19.95 for the upgrade.

Here's the full list of the installers it has. * indicates it's not available anywhere else, at the moment.

AirPort 1.2
Aladdin StuffIt Expander and DropStuff 5.5
Apple DVD Player 2.3 *
Apple Internet Access 1.5 *
Apple Remote Access 4.0
ColorSync 3.0.3 *
English Speech Recognition 2.0.4 *
English Text-To-Speech 2.0.2
Language Kits 1.1 *
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.02
MRJ 2.2.3
Netscape Communicator 4.75
Network Assistant Client 4.0.2 *
Personal Web Sharing 1.5.5 *
QuickTime 4.1.3
System Software 9.1

Notes:
I wonder why they didn't include Aladdin software version 6.0; it's been out for a while.
Internet Access 1.5 actually removes the Internet Access library, interestingly enough; it includes only Internet Setup Assistant and launchers for Browse Internet, Mail, and Register with Apple.
The System Software tome is identical to the one from the download, which means that the one from the download must contain every single system component from a full system install. No wonder it's such a big download!

Hope this list helps you to decide whether the CD is worth it to you or not.

[This message has been edited by mkincaid (edited 01-23-2001).]

woolunda
Jan 23, 2001, 03:59 AM

Does anyone know if the 9.1 Up-To-Date program for $19.95 accepts upgrading from a non-US version (Norwegian) OS 9 to a US 9.1 ?

--
jan

tommyt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 12:57 PM

accoding to apple's site the $19.95 price is only for people who ordered a computer after january 9th 2001. correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like they changed their policy.

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2001, 01:04 PM

If you want the $19.95 OS9.1you can get it if you have a software coupon from any version of OS9. http://www.apple.com/macos/

SupportStaff
Jan 23, 2001, 01:08 PM

I've been running 9.1 since the day after it was released. So far I have nothing to complain about. I haven't had any problems or incompatibilities. Unless you use one of the handfull of programs that have problems, and haven't already been patched, then there is no reason not to upgrade. There is however, a lot of reasons to upgrade. The system is more stable, faster, more responsive, and has some nice usability enhancements.

Originally posted by WDL:
Tombull:

WDL

BobBleau
Jan 23, 2001, 07:34 PM

I may be wrong, but...
Based on a conversation with the folks at Apple the day after 9.1 was release (policy may have changed, but I don't think so):
First, there only one CD, the full install. If you are a legal owner of MacOS 9, you can get the 9.1 CD for $19.95. You need to either have bought MacOS 9 already (box version), or have a machine that came with 9.x. You fill out the form, send in your proof of purchase for either System 9 or the computer, you get the CD. Same policy Apple has had in the past.

If you are not a legal owner of MacOS 9, then you can buy the current version (9.1) for $99.00. Nothing new there either.

I've been running 9.1 since the day after it was released with only two minor problems:
1. Canvas 7 won't launch. Turned out to be a conflict with Kaleidoscope. Turned Kaleidoscope off (damn it!) and everything works fine.

2. On two Macs with 9.1, I noticed a rare problem with the background in some applications (such as Word) turning gray instead of white. Never observed this before 9.1. The problem is usually corrected by relaunching the application, but once or twice the machine had to be restarted.

Everything else works fine.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2001, 08:32 PM

Installed OS 9.1 via the CD on my iBook and iMac plus one iMac 233 at work and no problems. So far so good.

someone
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2001, 08:56 PM

So how can you get the CD for $20?

If you buy an Apple Pro Keyboard?
If you are a legal owner of Mac OS 9.x.x?
If you are a legal owner of a computer that came with Mac OS 9?

And now there's no difference between the updater CD? and the full install CD?

------------------
someone who loves Macs
someone who loves Macs

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by tommyt:
accoding to apple's site the $19.95 price is only for people who ordered a computer after january 9th 2001. correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like they changed their policy.
You're a bit mistaken. They have two things going on here. In my opinion, they're not being very clear about it, but oh well.

First of all, you have what most people are interested in, which is the $19.95 upgrade.
If you own any version of OS 9 -- whether it came with a machine or you bought it in a box -- you can get a full 9.1 CD.

Then, there is "Mac OS Up-To-Date". This means that if you bought a qualifying Apple computer on or after January 9, 2000, whether it had System 6 or System 9.0.4, you can also get a $19.95 full CD.

I think that most people who qualify for the second of these conditions also qualify for the first.

Also, the newer Pro Keyboards come with 9.1 update CDs (essentially, the downloadable updater burned onto a CD). The keyboard would not come with a full install CD, because then who would buy the $99 boxed system CD instead of the $59 keyboard? (Heck, throw away the keyboard and just use the CD, and you've still ended up with a $40 discount! ) If you want to get the upgrade this way, wait a week or two to make sure that your keyboard is shipped with the CD (a few people are still receiving the last remaining shipments of non-CD keyboards).

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by someone:
So how can you get the CD for $20?
If you buy an Apple Pro Keyboard?
Nooooo, that's $60. You get an updater CD (not full). If you want to do it this way, wait a week or two so that you can be sure you get one that does include the CD (a few people got the last shipments that lacked one).
If you are a legal owner of Mac OS 9.x.x?
Yes. a full install CD. Obviously, a full install CD will do an upgrade as well.
If you are a legal owner of a computer that came with Mac OS 9?
Yes; if that computer was bought after January 9, 2000, use Up-To-Date. Otherwise, use the upgrade for owners of OS 9. Either way you get a full CD. With a keyboard you only get an update CD.

Hope this makes sense.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 24, 2001, 02:20 AM

I would think that if there were any significant components missing from the downloads, that Apple would have to offer these-up as individually downloadable items later on.

If color sync 3.03 is missing perhaps it can simply be downloaded from the Apple site.

So 9.1 seems great and definitely a worthwhile update, so I can spare a few parts and play catch-up later.

Mike

wfzelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2001, 04:04 PM

>9.1 has to have a lot of bugs/incompatabilities in it from what I'm seeing on all the forums - in the meantime, all three of my Macs are running >stable and smooth (two on 8.1 - one on 9.0.4) so the old adage, why mess with success.

I hear a lot of complaints with every update and after a few weeks somehow everyone is using the system without problems. Ok, perhaps 1 or 2 programs won't run perfectly. They'll be updated. I'm using the system without any problems as well as thousands of others who you don't hear complaining.

wfz

[This message has been edited by wfzelle (edited 01-24-2001).]

someone
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2001, 09:19 PM

Okay, so there's no way I can get an update CD with the keyboard. Okay.

How do I prove to Apple that I have OS 9.0 in order to get the 9.1 full for $19.95? I don't have the proof of purchase slips.
I do have a G4 that came with 8.6, though.
Would it work?
someone who loves Macs

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2001, 10:17 PM

Okay, so there's no way I can get an update CD with the keyboard. Okay.
No, exactly the other way around. As long as you wait a week or two, if you buy a keyboard you will get an update CD. (All I said is that this CD will not do a clean install for you, because then pre-9.0 owners could buy System 9.0 and get a free keyboard and a $40 discount along with it.)

As for getting the $19.95 upgrade, you need a receipt from a retailer that you bought either OS 9 boxed or a computer that came with OS 9; or the "Software Coupons" that came in the OS 9 box, or the box of any system that came with OS 9.

If you got OS 9 legally, they're sure to have been in the box. Look around...

If you really did throw them away, or lose them forever, just remember to hang on to 'em next time!

[This message has been edited by mkincaid (edited 01-24-2001).]

WDL  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2001, 09:29 AM

This should clarify:

MacWorld - 25th Jan �01

Today's Tip: Apple Pro Keyboard and OS 9.1

Tip level: Intermediate

If you attempt to install Mac OS 9.1 from the software disc that
ships with the Apple Pro Keyboard on a Mac that doesn't natively
carry a USB port (in other words, a Mac with an add-on PCI USB card),
the install won't work. If you're running Mac OS 9.x on a non-USB
Mac, the downloadable upgrade to OS 9.1 should work fine. Likewise,
the retail version of Mac OS 9.1 will install on such a Mac.
--------------

So the CD that ships with the keyboard is a "light" version.

WDL

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 12:14 AM

The keyboard CD seems to be a pretty strange special case�
See this TIL article: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106095
It's not very well worded, but it seems to suggest that the USB card support software isn't on the Pro Keyboard CD, probably because Apple doesn't want to support the keyboard on pre-USB Macs with PCI cards. It does in fact work (I'm using a Pro Keyboard on a beige G3 tower with a USB PCI card right now) but Apple probably just doesn't want to support this configuration (more QA work for them).

Cipher13
Jan 26, 2001, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Jvh:
Inconvenient ???
70 MB at 1Mbit/sec = 8 sec / MB => 560 sec = +/- 10 min...
That don't seems me to long, is it ?
ADSL uses a sustained speed of 100 - 200 KB or 0.1 - 0.2 MB / sec !!! and is much cheaper than a PSTN modem.
So, I really don't know what you mean...

BVBA Jvh-Insurance
IT Consultant
Keldermansstraat 23

B-2500 LIER

gsm: +32 495/59.44.28
fax: +32 3/480.82.98

BE438.044.575
EXACTLY MY POINT.
It takes either MINUTES to get it, or DAYS.
So another 70 megs WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM for those that would download it anyway!
It may have turned off dialup users (most of whom wouldn't want to download 70 megs anyway!), but oh well, they're gonna order the CD!
(sorry I'm in an easily annoyed mood... ignore me, nothing personal )

Cipher13

bezoar
Jan 26, 2001, 11:03 AM

>It takes either MINUTES to get it, or DAYS.

i agree, i never would have downloaded the update if i didn't have access to the T1 line at work. another 70 megs would've meant another 5 minutes maybe... at least apple could offer the missing elements separately though on their download site. i have to wonder about greenm&m's suspicion that apple wants to encourage purchase of the cd, by leaving stuff out. sounds plausible, has apple always done this? (i.e.-leaving elements out of downloadable OS updates)

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2001, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by bil207:
The Up-To- Date Disk that you recieve is indeed the full install.I sent my order in on 1-10-2001 and recieved my copy today 12 days later via Airbourne Express even though the order form said 6 to 8 weeks. (nice job Apple).

Be aware that the download 9.1 will not support the NuBus computors 6100/7100/8100... You must have the OS9.1 CD
bigbiker

someone
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2001, 09:45 PM

Everyone at the Apple Store said that the 9.1 update Cd didn't come with the Apple Pro Keyboard. I showed them the TIL article, MacNN's reports, even this thread! They opened up some keyboard boxes, and there were no 9.1 CDs anywhere.

They even checked on their shipment logs. Their latest shipment of keyboards had arrivedafter the keynote.

This is kinda interesting since they are on the Apple Cupertino Campus and should be receiving the latest stuff.

I bought the keyboard anyway.

------------------
someone who loves Macs
someone who loves Macs

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 12:36 AM

Someone, it's fine if you want to go ahead and buy the keyboard. But I'm not kidding about the CD; take a look here: http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=2547
Several people got them. Either it's really true, or they're all lying

Just because a shipment came after Macworld doesn't mean it necessarily has the CD. There is a good deal of turnover from supplier, to shipping, to packing/Apple distribution, to more shipping, to retail store. Note that when you buy from the Apple Store online, there is one step than when you buy it at a retail store, which is why the online Apple Store seems to have new keyboard boxes (those that contain the CD) before retail channels do. It could be another week or two until the CDs show up everywhere.

[This message has been edited by mkincaid (edited 01-26-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules