Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help

help
azouhby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2002, 09:18 AM

How can I link a Powermac 9500(system 9.1) a G4 (system 9.2) and a PC using windows XP pro. Please assist and thanks.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 10:46 AM

What exactly do you want to do? If you just want to share an Internet Connection, the easiest way would bo to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the XP-Machine and then use it's IP on the Macs as Router and DNS.

For File-Exchange there are different ways, from freeware-FTP Servers and clients up to third-party-software like "Dave"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by azouhby:
<STRONG>How can I link a Powermac 9500(system 9.1) a G4 (system 9.2) and a PC using windows XP pro. Please assist and thanks. </STRONG>

Yeah you need to give more details to answer that one... like what sort of internet connection you have.. all modems or broadband, do you just want to share files or the connection, and so on......

But it sounds like you want one of three things... Dave software, a hub, or a router. So fill in the gaps and people can help.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

azouhby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2002, 02:06 PM

I need to share and move files between the 3 computer, thanks for the quick response.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by azouhby:
<STRONG>I need to share and move files between the 3 computer, thanks for the quick response.</STRONG>
The cheapest and easiest would probably be to find a freeware ftp server for one, and connect to it from the others. While I'm not positive a freeware exists, I would assume so. I would check versiontracker for the mac product and versiontracker and tucows for a windows product.

If no decent freeware exists, I'd look into shareware on the Win side- others correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any decent/low priced options for Mac OS 9.

If you are willing to spend the money, see if Mirimar's Mac PC Lan is available for XP- this allows the PC to connect to Mac shares. Dave is a better program from a better (more mac centric) company, but as you have two macs to connect to one PC, PC-Mac Lan may meet your needs better. I think both these products are under $100.

Paco

xmishx
May 1, 2002, 03:13 PM

They all have an ethernet connection so get some patch cables and a hub and you'll be networked.

Good luck,

X

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 04:24 PM

There are some Freeware FTP-Servers available for Windows, check www.download.com and search for FTP
That would be the cheapest way to realize such a network. My two Macs share files via AppleShare and Filesharing. And since I'm the only Mac-User in this whole network, we're using FTP-Servers and Clients to exchange files between my Macs and the other clients.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules