Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lenovo 3000 C100...the wannabe iBook?

Lenovo 3000 C100...the wannabe iBook?
mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 09:50 PM

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2782

What do you folks think? I think it looks like a flat black 14" iBook...
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 11:20 PM

What in the wide world of sports is that below the trackpad!!? TWO buttons!? So not Macintosh.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

volcano
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 02:01 AM

I don't think so.

Tray-loading drive? That's so 2001.
Two buttons? Not a Mac. That's for sure.
And let's not forget the butt-ugly black matte finish and Windows XP/Intel stickers. Utterly disgusting.

I wouldn't mistake that for a black iBook even if I were drunk and speaking Japanese.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 09:54 AM

Looks like a PC laptop to me.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 10:16 AM

RE: comment about black.

The earlier powerbooks were black - and gorgeous.

RE: iBook wannabe
Whenever you see any PC laptop that has the "keyboard forward" design - that is, there is room to rest your palms as you type - that design was introduced by Macintosh and *everyone* immediately copied it. Oh, and Mac was first with the trackpad, and USB too (I believe). So one might say that every PC laptop is a macintosh wannabe.

IBM PC laptop wannabe:
If you ever see a laptop with that little "pencil eraser" joystick-like cursor moving device in the middle of the keyboard, then it's an IBM laptop or a wannabe. And IMHO that thing is the absolutly worst thing I've ever had the displeasure of attempting to use. For the life of me I don't know why IBM persists in having it. I guess to differentiate, because in the PC world "different" usually means a different color case.

"Think Different"
An Apple advertising campaign a few years back (had some *great* posters). Macintosh IS the "different" in the consumer computing market. Looking from the high ground of Macintosh the PC world's attempt at "different" amongst themselves is like measuring virtue among prostitutes. Is there a point to that?

"Any resemblence between any PC and Macintosh is purely coincedental. No macintosh, living or dead, was actually depicted by a PC."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2006, 03:47 PM

Ugh... Lenovo is dumping the signature ThinkPad look for something that resembles a no-name machine you'd find at Wal-Mart.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by RadarBob2
If you ever see a laptop with that little "pencil eraser" joystick-like cursor moving device in the middle of the keyboard, then it's an IBM laptop or a wannabe. And IMHO that thing is the absolutly worst thing I've ever had the displeasure of attempting to use. For the life of me I don't know why IBM persists in having it. I guess to differentiate
I for one like that pencil eraser. Works perfectly once you're used to it and much quicker than a trackpad.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 06:38 PM

The matte finish, left-side ports, keyboard, and rounded corners made me think.. iBook. This forum is hard to please.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

SkaGoat
Feb 24, 2006, 07:05 PM

It looks nothing like a iBook....

First Notebook computers have had rounded corners for a long long time. almost every PC notebook made has ports on both sides (like that one). The keyboard looks like your standard Keyboard for a notebook. oh! that laptop is probably faster, and has a PC Card slot (unlike iBook)

That's like posting a picture of a BMW M5 and a horse carriage and saying "Looks like BMW copied that coachmaker!" because they both have wheels.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I for one like that pencil eraser. Works perfectly once you're used to it and much quicker than a trackpad.
That's interesting to hear. In the multiple opportunities I've had to use it, all I did was hate it more.

What's really interesting, maybe... my first GUI experience was with Macintosh. And I used Macintosh exclusively for several years. Then I got a job which basically had me using a PC all day. At first I had to use both hands on the mouse! No kidding. I could not aim it one handed. The darn thing seemed to have two states. Full stop and full speed. Nothing in between. Then in only a few months I ended up in physical therapy for carpal tunnel. I had to switch to left handed mousing - on the PC.

So now I can mouse all day long right handed on macintosh but I PC mouse left handed. Attemping PC mousing right handed drives me nuts in very short order - bothers my forearm and wrist... BUT not when Mac mouse right handed. Go figure.

The difference between windoze and Mac mouse behavior was like night and day to me who was conditioned on Macintosh. IMHO the subtle acceleration / deceleration of the cursor, and reacting to varying mouse speed is clearly, in my objective opinion, far superior to PC mousing. To this day I'm faster and more accurate mousing Macintosh.

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RadarBob2
That's interesting to hear. In the multiple opportunities I've had to use it, all I did was hate it more.

What's really interesting, maybe... my first GUI experience was with Macintosh. And I used Macintosh exclusively for several years. Then I got a job which basically had me using a PC all day. At first I had to use both hands on the mouse! No kidding. I could not aim it one handed. The darn thing seemed to have two states. Full stop and full speed. Nothing in between. Then in only a few months I ended up in physical therapy for carpal tunnel. I had to switch to left handed mousing - on the PC.

So now I can mouse all day long right handed on macintosh but I PC mouse left handed. Attemping PC mousing right handed drives me nuts in very short order - bothers my forearm and wrist... BUT not when Mac mouse right handed. Go figure.

The difference between windoze and Mac mouse behavior was like night and day to me who was conditioned on Macintosh. IMHO the subtle acceleration / deceleration of the cursor, and reacting to varying mouse speed is clearly, in my objective opinion, far superior to PC mousing. To this day I'm faster and more accurate mousing Macintosh.
i don't think i ever have words for how weird your thing about 'mousing' is. i have never once noticed much of a difference between mac and pc in regards to the mouse. and that nubby thing on the thinkpad's is awesome -- i WISH my ibook had it. so much nicer than a track pad.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Berman
i don't think i ever have words for how weird your thing about 'mousing' is. i have never once noticed much of a difference between mac and pc in regards to the mouse. and that nubby thing on the thinkpad's is awesome -- i WISH my ibook had it. so much nicer than a track pad.
Oh, there is a great difference. I recall an article in PC Magazine or was it Byte Magazine some years ago by a guy named Dvorak (John?) a popular PC loving columnist. He detailed how much better the Macintosh mouse handling was compared to the PC.

Now-a-days I am much more used to the PC mouse and I guess PC mouse behavior has improved somewhat. Nonetheless I must remain a lefty w/ a PC.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mikochu
The matte finish, left-side ports, keyboard, and rounded corners made me think.. iBook. This forum is hard to please.
Don't take it personally.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 06:45 PM

Here's an Ibook copy that I think bears an even closer resemblance:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Compa...oductDetail.do

In case the link is dead its the "Compaq Presario V2565US Notebook PC" and its on the circuit city website. When I saw it at circuit city from afar I thought it was an Ibook at first. Circuit City is also selling some powerbook design copies.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 06:48 PM

Here's an Ibook copy that I think bears an even closer resemblance:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Compa...oductDetail.do

In case the link is dead its the "Compaq Presario V2565US Notebook PC" and its on the circuit city website. When I saw it at circuit city from afar I thought it was an Ibook at first. Circuit City is also selling some powerbook design copies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules