Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > The Hammer Returns: Na-nana-na, Can't Touch This

The Hammer Returns: Na-nana-na, Can't Touch This (Page 5)
Thread Tools
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 11:31 AM
 
That's the wrong Hammer.

This is the correct Hammer.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Yesterday at 11:57 AM. Reason: gif no work)
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 11:42 AM
 
Did you know that MC Hammer is a devout catholic?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 11:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Did you know that MC Hammer is a devout catholic?
He's an ordained Pentecostal minister. He's been on TBN and has a show on there as well.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 01:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
He's an ordained Pentecostal minister. He's been on TBN and has a show on there as well.

No, he's a catholic. If global warming is a hoax I have a right to my own facts too
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 03:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and I suppose you think that actually means something? Who has had the most reports filed against them?
It means that if you think that everyone should stop reporting so much, perhaps you should lead by example?

If 5 people file 6 reports against 1 person and that 1 person files 8 total reports against 5 different people, who do you think the system is favoring? I'll let you think about that, take as much time as you need.
A report means exactly one thing: a post is made in a special hidden forum, and an alert is sent out to mods of the forum where the original post was made. There is nothing automatic beyond that - a mod has to make a decision on whether that post deserves an infraction or not. All it does is serve to alert someone to a post that they may not otherwise have seen. Nothing stops a mod from assigning infractions on a post nobody has reported, or reporting it themselves to start a discussion.

While you're at it, maybe you should think about your intentions in misusing such information that only the staff has access to, and think about whether it's right to try and use it in an attempt to degrade a forum member. Maybe you should consider how ethical that was.
I did consider that, actually. I purposefully kept my post very vague, merely noting that you were in the lead. If you recall, we used to have a little competition for who made the most spam reports each month, with detailed numbers posted. This was more vague than that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 05:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No, he's a catholic. If global warming is a hoax I have a right to my own facts too
You're thinking of MC Malleus.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
It means that if you think that everyone should stop reporting so much, perhaps you should lead by example?
an example that most within the community will ignore and only exploit, due to hatred over ideological differences? You're seeing the antagonism over merely stating there's a problem, right?

A report means exactly one thing: a post is made in a special hidden forum, and an alert is sent out to mods of the forum where the original post was made. There is nothing automatic beyond that - a mod has to make a decision on whether that post deserves an infraction or not. All it does is serve to alert someone to a post that they may not otherwise have seen. Nothing stops a mod from assigning infractions on a post nobody has reported, or reporting it themselves to start a discussion.
That's why subego pointed out that there's, at the very least the perception of, unequal moderation.

I did consider that, actually. I purposefully kept my post very vague, merely noting that you were in the lead. If you recall, we used to have a little competition for who made the most spam reports each month, with detailed numbers posted. This was more vague than that.
You're comparing that to the spam competition? You considered it, thought it over, but decided to divulge private information anyway? Wow.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 04:20 AM
 
and a new infraction (big 10 pointer) for this comment:

^^ Or you're so ideologically absorbed that you're unfit for contact with most other people? He's right, such titles, in a vacuum, are pretty entertaining. The fact you can't see that says more about you.
Ridiculous.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 06:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
an example that most within the community will ignore and only exploit, due to hatred over ideological differences? You're seeing the antagonism over merely stating there's a problem, right?
No, I figured that you'd realize that there is no way to tell how many reports someone has made unless you're a mod.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
That's why subego pointed out that there's, at the very least the perception of, unequal moderation.
How do you think this works? If someone has been reported 5 times they should get an infraction even if all 5 reports were BS? If a mod sees a violation, they should be prevented from handing out an infraction until it has been reported?

The rules are posted, and the mods are trying to enforce them as best we can. The report system is just a way to alert us.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You're comparing that to the spam competition? You considered it, thought it over, but decided to divulge private information anyway? Wow.
I figured that you had opened the door by complaining about how many reports are made in a discussion about moderation, and I don't think you are justified in feeling that this is absolutely private information given that we divulged much the same thing regularly for years without anyone complaining. So yes, I did consider it, and I made my wording vague to avoid leaking any information about who, what or when you had reported.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 07:54 AM
 
Popcorn and butter is on me guys. (Literally.)


This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 08:07 AM
 
and I'm saying I simply do not believe the staff, they've hedged, and even outright lied (about "talks" within them I'd never had), in this very discussion. Then to top it off the usual suspects can't help but thread crap and screech for thread closure, for no other reason than to show they can, when it's easier to not open the thread at all, if it bothers them so much.

This is simple, several people report me for the most trivial things (like the example I posted above), even mods. If you want to see bona-fide examples of what should be given infractions you can check out where Chongo is mocked for a whole page over his religious beliefs, and that happens on the regular here. Now the mods have simply decided to infract me to hell to get rid of the problem, like the way an HR dept gets rid of someone they don't like, but they want an out that they can point to when the fired employee decides to file a grievance. It's no wonder this place is down to a couple dozen posters, from >1000 on any given day, but no, it's the fault of all those other former members, the dozens upon dozens who have been banned over the years, for no other reason than they rubbed a few others the wrong way.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 08:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Popcorn and butter is on me guys. (Literally.)


Yeah, I'm glad you enjoy your ghosttown, it's wonderful, isn't it?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 11:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and I'm saying I simply do not believe the staff, they've hedged, and even outright lied (about "talks" within them I'd never had), in this very discussion. Then to top it off the usual suspects can't help but thread crap and screech for thread closure, for no other reason than to show they can, when it's easier to not open the thread at all, if it bothers them so much.

This is simple, several people report me for the most trivial things (like the example I posted above), even mods. If you want to see bona-fide examples of what should be given infractions you can check out where Chongo is mocked for a whole page over his religious beliefs, and that happens on the regular here. Now the mods have simply decided to infract me to hell to get rid of the problem, like the way an HR dept gets rid of someone they don't like, but they want an out that they can point to when the fired employee decides to file a grievance. It's no wonder this place is down to a couple dozen posters, from >1000 on any given day, but no, it's the fault of all those other former members, the dozens upon dozens who have been banned over the years, for no other reason than they rubbed a few others the wrong way.
AFAIK, Big Mac shook the dust off his feet.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Today, 01:12 PM
 
How many points is a temp ban?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Today, 01:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
How many points is a temp ban?
Almost as much as double secret probation.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,