Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Someone asked me to claim their luggage as my own

Someone asked me to claim their luggage as my own
mindwaves
Sep 3, 2017, 10:32 PM

I was at the airport waiting in line to go from one international flight to another. The person in front me said something to me and pointed to her luggage. I don't really speak the language but understood a little and due to her body language, I thought she was asking me to lift her luggage into the check in conveyor belt due to the luggage being heavy. So after she checked in one luggage, I put the other luggage onto the belt and was a bit surprised when she gestured me to say it was my own. I've watched way too many airport security videos on YouTube to know that this was a super terrible idea and people can go to prison for this, so I waved my hands to her and to the airport check in lady in front of us indicating that this was not mine. I checked in and didn't look back to see what had happened. Super dangerous idea especially if they had drugs inside. The country I will be going to has the death penalty for drug smuggling.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2017, 11:30 PM

... and there goes your once-in-a-lifetime shot at a suitcase full of money. Because she asked you to claim the wrong suitcase.

I'd do the exact same thing. Though realistically, she was probably trying to avoid check fees. Assuming it looked like you were traveling light. Spill a case onto your allotment, and the airline misses one fee.

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2017, 12:48 AM

Yeah, that's a big no-no. And I probably would have done the same, although I am not sure whether I would have stuck around.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mindwaves  (op)
Sep 4, 2017, 04:47 AM

Yeah, the lady first asked me if I was traveling by myself and if that was the only luggage I had. I just had a backpack and a small messenger bag with me. Very scary. I remember going to LAX and someone asked me to watch their suitcase while they went to use the restroom. The suitcase was no more than 50 feet away from the restroom. Airport security came through and asked me if it was my suitcase, which I said no, and out came such yelling that you would not believe replete with 9/11 wordage and terrorists and danger.

The guy from the restroom came back and the airport security (maybe cops with dogs) yelled at him too. Quite a friendly airport!
( Last edited by mindwaves; Sep 4, 2017 at 04:58 AM. )

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Yeah, the lady first asked me if I was traveling by myself and if that was the only luggage I had. I just had a backpack and a small messenger bag with me. Very scary.
Yeah, you really have to fight your natural instinct to be helpful and polite under these circumstances. So while many travel restrictions are just for show, this one has merit I'm afraid.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 5, 2017, 11:49 AM

Singapore? I was always terrified that someone would slip something into my luggage. It never helped that every time I landed there I was groggy and out of it from the flight.

Thorzdad
Sep 5, 2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
... and there goes your once-in-a-lifetime shot at a suitcase full of money.
Black tar heroin.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2017, 10:37 PM

Same thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules